Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we seeing the end of Vinatieri?

dgambill

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

That or his wife will want his nuts to stay healthy and force him to retire...

Good grief..You and a couple of other posters on here obviously have no idea what the groin is. I'll give you a hint.....It's 'close' to his nuts.

I saw him grabbing at his groin on one kick but after seeing the replay (at least the one I noticed) it was more of a celebration type move (thats how it appeared to me). He just put both hands down and bent at the waist a little.  I have been wrong in the past though.  I was hoping he would break the record today for the home crowd.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he looks like his nuts are bothering him. He was grabbing that region alot. I liked the other Kicker we had in pre-season, is he still available? I think we will take care of the Raiders too but moving forward if Vinny can't kick, this is a concern.

Badgley was signed by Chargers

14 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

He was pretty clearly injured, and you could see him on the bench, apparently discussing it with a player sitting next to him.  i suspect that he may have been trying to hang in there this week, just trying to break the scoring record in front of the home fans. If he can sit out the Oakland game he could have three weeks to heal up before the next home game against J-ville. Has Sanchez ever kicked PATs or FGs? 

Yes, he was kicker/Punter for Hawaii

But then who holds....Vinatieri?

• Like 1

Great kickers at this point in the season are few and far between.

Any possibility of bringing Pat McAfee in for a try-out would be fine with me.  Even though he wasn't kicking the field goals during his days with the Colts, my guess is he could still be a good choice - with a great back-story.

Anyone know how Sanchez is with field goals? If he is good and doing both was too much for him, move him to field goals and let McAfee do the punting temporarily.

I say - keep it in house - and give Vinnie all the time he needs to heal that groin. 

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'd like to see him get the record but after this year it might be wise for him to retire.  We should go younger.  

I tend to agree with you on this.   He can't have very long left.   The team is primed to break out in the next 2 seasons.   It may behoove us to get a kicker of the future started.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I tend to agree with you on this.   He can't have very long left.   The team is primed to break out in the next 2 seasons.   It may behoove us to get a kicker of the future started.  

We may have let our kicker of the future get away. Pretty sure the Chargers will keep Badgley and cut Sturgis. 

Looking back, it's interesting that we wanted to get younger across the board, but felt we needed to keep a 45 year old kicker. What makes this situation worse is that at 45 years old, it takes a LOT longer for an injury to completely heal. 

18 minutes ago, coltsva said:

We may have let our kicker of the future get away. Pretty sure the Chargers will keep Badgley and cut Sturgis. 

Looking back, it's interesting that we wanted to get younger across the board, but felt we needed to keep a 45 year old kicker. What makes this situation worse is that at 45 years old, it takes a LOT longer for an injury to completely heal. 

The Colts didn't keep "a 45-year-old kicker". They kept a proven veteran kicker who was still making clutch kicks and was just a few points away from the all-time scoring record. If the Colts had cut him, Jim Irsay and the entire front office staff would have been tarred, feathered, and run out of town by irate fans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

The Colts didn't keep "a 45-year-old kicker". They kept a proven veteran kicker who was still making clutch kicks and was just a few points away from the all-time scoring record. If the Colts had cut him, Jim Irsay and the entire front office staff would have been tarred, feathered, and run out of town by irate fans. 

He is a proven kicker.   I had no problem with keeping him.   I also would have had no problem if we let him go.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

He is a proven kicker.   I had no problem with keeping him.   I also would have had no problem if we let him go.  

My sentiments too. In preseason part of me was saying “we really need to find our future kicker. Maybe this kid is it.” Another part of me was saying “I would hate to let Vinny go, especially knowing he’d break the point record somewhere else.” 

Maybe it was sentimentality, or maybe Badgley didn’t wow them on a day to day basis. We don’t know. But there’s no denying Badgley looked good when we saw him, and he has looked good in his two weeks with the Chargers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

If they didn’t get run out of town getting rid of Peyton, I doubt they’d get run out of town replacing Vinatieri.

• Like 2

I love AV and I want him to break the record while he is a Colt.  I'm sure that will happen this season and come 2019, I think he may decide to retire.  If not, then I'm sure he and all of us here would understand moving on from him for next season.

Got to meet him on the Colts Caravan a few years ago and he's a class act, for sure.

24 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Rigoberto Sanchez was 72/74 (98%) on PATs in college and 21/24 (88%) on FGs. If we just need someone for a week while Vinny recovers then I say we go with Rigo instead of wasting a roster spot.

To be fair PAT's in college are from the 3 yard line.  So not only am I not impressed by his PAT percentage but I'm wondering why he missed those 2 PAT's.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair PAT's in college are from the 3 yard line.  So not only am I not impressed by his PAT percentage but I'm wondering why he missed those 2 PAT's.  

Could be a lot of reasons: (botched hold, bad snap, exceptional defensive play).

I think the idea of using Sanchez is spot on. What if he was as good as Badgely ? At least until AV heals. 

Don’t know if there’s ever been 1 guy do all three long-term (don’t know if that would make sense, practice wise.) 

But for 2-4 weeks ?

Yep, we love #4.   It appears he's dealing with a groin injury, and may be out for a few games.   :dunno: 

He is soooooooo close to breaking the all time scoring record, and  I personally hope he can do it once he's healed.        

He's been such a great presence and asset to our team.  Let's not forget that.     

Feel better Adam.  

9 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Of course we are, How long did you think he could go on. He's a sure hall of famer ,Without question, but the natural order of father time is near. I'm glad he finished his carrier here instead of with the Patriots. 

Heh.  Wouldn't put it past BB to sign him to a 1-day contract..

Im from Denmark and as we only have had 1 player in the NFL, Morten Andersen and he currently holds the scoring record, with 2544 points, I from a Danish perspective hope Adam Vinatieri is done and will not break that record. 

BUT as a Colts fan and a huge Adam Vinatieri fan, I really hope he gets back soon and breaks the record, because he´s just pure class and the GOAT when it comes to kickers.

Besides that, I hope the Colts find their future kicker after this season and move on from Adam Vinatieri, as he just past the hill top, and from now on, I think it will go down.

Adam Vinatieri have meant so much for this organization and we owe him to get the record while being a Colt. So even if he´s done, we have to make sure he gets the record this season, also if that means it´s only for him getting 5 more points and we then cut him.

16 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Could be a lot of reasons: (botched hold, bad snap, exceptional defensive play).

I think the idea of using Sanchez is spot on. What if he was as good as Badgely ? At least until AV heals. 

Don’t know if there’s ever been 1 guy do all three long-term (don’t know if that would make sense, practice wise.) 

But for 2-4 weeks ?

I could see using him in a game in which the place kicker has been injured.  But I can't really defend going into a game without a healthy place kicker.  

20 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Rigoberto Sanchez was 72/74 (98%) on PATs in college and 21/24 (88%) on FGs. If we just need someone for a week while Vinny recovers then I say we go with Rigo instead of wasting a roster spot.

would still need to bring in a punter.  Murphys law could strike and we suddenly have a game where we need to kick and punt a lot.  dont want to burn out rigo