Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots are closing in on a deal to sign Josh Gordon

chad72

I hope for the kid, but I have doubts he gets through the season without failing a substance abuse test.  Since he was caught with a positive result before, he can be tested, and often; for both PES and recreational drugs, where players that have never tested positive can only be tested for performance enhancing substances now.

I guess the topic is if Pats get their late round draft pick back for the experiment?

Great move by pats IMO. I posted in the other thread.  This an extremely low risk move:

- gave up a low 5th rd pick

- his salary is only $785k

- Pats own his rights for next year. 

If he screws up again, you cut him without losing much at all. 

If he straightens out, you have a top 5 wr talent in nfl. 

• Like 1

I just don't understand why people think he isn't worth a contingent 5th round pick.    

They don't give up the pick of he isn't active for 10 games.   

I knew the Pats would somehow land him. No risk trade that could turn into a home run.   

He has elite talent. 

The guy sure has been a screw up.  But - and I don't normally say this - as cheap as this was for the Pats I wouldn't have minded if the Colts gave him a shot.  If he screws up again we could dump him in a heartbeat. Not much lost.  But if he decides to turn things around - which I doubt - you could have a great receiver.

27 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I just don't understand why people think he isn't worth a contingent 5th round pick.    

They don't give up the pick of he isn't active for 10 games.   

I knew the Pats would somehow land him. No risk trade that could turn into a home run.   

He has elite talent. 

Cuz any draft picks are treated like gold around here

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Just another instance of them running circles around teams

Look, I get that Gordon has issues and is a head case.

For a 5th rounder he is a no brainer.

When you factor in that the Pats get a late rounder back if he doesn't suit up for 10+ games, it is a brilliant move.

You take a risk on Gordon and worst case you gave up say a 5th for a 7th to take that risk?

And if it does work out and you don't get that pick then that means Gordon played 10+ games for you at the cost of only a 5th?

Smart move for them with their desperate need for WR help

IMO, it would have been smarter of the Pats to have kept the receivers that they had last year instead of getting a new receiver up to speed once the season has started.  It may work out for them, we'll see.

57 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Ahhh the old scattershot method. Say a bunch of crazy things and when you are finally right start a thread and demand people tell you good job.

Don't make me pull up my original post were I give game by game stats to prove you wrong. Go and see a topic I started August 28th titled "Pulse check" . There you will see my stats and the team whom was to sign J.Gordon. #checkmate.

Best receiver in football when right.  Led the league despite pitiful Browns QB play.  Has the wear and tear of a 23 year old.

Browns gave him repeated chances then suddenly dump him?  Dorsey’s no fool.  They think he’ll be banned for something he just did.

However, Browns players get banned for spitting on the sidewalk.  The Pat’s may think that the Commish will be hesitant to take action against them after the Brady Ball affair. 

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Just another instance of them running circles around teams

Look, I get that Gordon has issues and is a head case.

For a 5th rounder he is a no brainer.

When you factor in that the Pats get a late rounder back if he doesn't suit up for 10+ games, it is a brilliant move.

You take a risk on Gordon and worst case you gave up say a 5th for a 7th to take that risk?

And if it does work out and you don't get that pick then that means Gordon played 10+ games for you at the cost of only a 5th?

Smart move for them with their desperate need for WR help

The patriots don't really run circles around teams when it comes to personnel decisions. See the chandler jones trade.

6 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Best receiver in football when right.  Led the league despite pitiful Browns QB play.  Has the wear and tear of a 23 year old.

Browns gave him repeated chances then suddenly dump him?  Dorsey’s no fool.  They think he’ll be banned for something he just did.

However, Browns players get banned for spitting on the sidewalk.  The Pat’s may think that the Commish will be hesitant to take action against them after the Brady Ball affair. 

The Browns are a joke.  

Have been forever.  

It's because of stuff like this.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt Gordon makes much of an impact.   We have seen guys go there and not pick up the playbook.    Nothing about Josh Gordon makes me think he will.   Unless they just send him deep every play

Thats what they did with Randy Moss...  Not comparing him to Moss but he can run....  

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

It's very very rare that a 5th round pick turns into a good NFL player.  

It's also very rare that a player who hasn't been able to abide by the rules for over 5 years just changes his stripes either.  He is one positive test away from a lifetime ban from the NFL. He is a knucklehead and I can't blame Ballard for not making a move for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Did I not call this when others said, "Not another Josh Gordon thread".

I even called the team whom he would be picked up by, roughly 2-3 weeks ago. 

I said we should get him before the...Pats pick me up.

I stated his stats from a few years ago playing:

Steelers

Pat's

Jacksonville 

And that he tore them all up. Alot of you, (don't go hiding. Come on out) said alot of nothing! 

It was a bad move by the parts  Gordon,  imo, will be a non factor.   Especially when he gets suspended again

1 hour ago, tenbears1971 said:

The way I see it is there are two scenarios.

1) He washes out and everyone feels better about not taking a chance on him.

2) He ends up a home run trade for the Patriots, with minor investment, and people will still say “We are a character team and don’t want that kind of guy on our team”. 

I hope everyone at least wants the guy the guy to pull his life together first and foremost.

Interesting. I see...

1) He washes and folks feel better about not taking him

2) He ends up a home run, with minor investment and people will still say “We are a character team and don’t want that kind of guy on our team”.

3) He ends up a home run, with minor investment and people will complain that Ballard sucks and doesn't want to spend any money. 

Personally I want to see anyone get their life in order. I don't want the Colts to be that rehab team for this man. 

20 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

The Browns are a joke.  

Have been forever.  

Wrong

They were a power for years(reason for joining the NFL)

They were the home to many Legends in the Playing World and Coaching World

FYI

The Colts were once the laughing stock of the league

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

The Browns are a joke.  

Have been forever.  

What are you talking about?

The Browns did nothing wrong here.   Josh Gordon did.

Cleveland is under new management.  They’re already better in their first year of operation.    This isn’t a Cleveland problem.   This is a Josh Gordon problem.

• Like 2

Almost zero risk involved. Belichick again showing why he’s the best in the business. If he is active for 10+ games, then they have an elite receiver. If he doesn’t then they get either a 6th or 7th round pick back. Nobody is doubting his ability, only if he will stay on the field. 

Also, if the patriots choose not to resign him then they will 100% be getting a comp pick. Lots of teams tried trading so he is in demand despite his past.