Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots are closing in on a deal to sign Josh Gordon

chad72

28 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Please a 5th round pick is more than likely  to be cut 

What does that have to do with anything?   There are players in the NFL right now that were drafted in the 5th round.  Why gamble anything on a knucklehead?  In case you hadn't noticed the Colts do have a standard that is expected from the players they choose.  Gordon does not meet those standards.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What does that have to do with anything?   There are players in the NFL right now that were drafted in the 5th round.  Why gamble anything on a knucklehead?  In case you hadn't noticed the Colts do have a standard that is expected from the players they choose.  Gordon does not meet those standards.

what are you talking about? I never Said anything about taking on players with multiple issues. I commented On the forum posters acting like every draft pick has gold value

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I dunno about that.  I think he's averaging 5 games a year for the last few years.  Hard to call him a legit #1 with such small sample size.  His first couple of years were legit.  Give me a full year now and then I can make that call.  For now, it's all about his up side, lol.

just hope that upside isnt too HIGH ahahha

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hardly a gamble when you're risking practically nothing.  

It's like playing with house money.  

The pick is dependent on him being active for 10 weeks too.  

Who knows how he'll be in a different organization.  

I really think NE is a good spot for him.  

Who knows if he'll become elite again, but if there's a place that can set him straight it's NE.  

I also would have had faith that the Colts could have kept him straight.

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Hardly a gamble when you're risking practically nothing.  

It's like playing with house money.  

The pick is dependent on him being active for 10 weeks too.  

That has little to do with the standard expected from Colts players.  Not wanting him and his past history around the locker room is not a fault.

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting. I see...

1) He washes and folks feel better about not taking him

2) He ends up a home run, with minor investment and people will still say “We are a character team and don’t want that kind of guy on our team”.

3) He ends up a home run, with minor investment and people will complain that Ballard sucks and doesn't want to spend any money. 

Personally I want to see anyone get their life in order. I don't want the Colts to be that rehab team for this man. 

Also unlike BB the Colts GM and Coach don’t have the leeway and faith of the owner or fans where if this blows up they don’t get huge backlash.  Pats one of the few teams this trade would work for.

• Like 1

So....  He is now N.E.'s problem.  

Well, not really, I guess he is his own problem.   IF  he can stay clean, he may do well for N.E.   He has a history of substance abuse dating back to Junior High.   I suppose it's possible that he could finally beat his addiction.   Time will tell.

I have literally 0 worry about this. 0.

Gordon has proven to be a career screwup. He’s proven that there are a great many things more important to him than football. 

He is not a “team first at all cost” type of player. He obviously struggles with the rules, he’s reported to be “habitually tardy”, and he just doesn’t seem to care about football, even at Baylor when coaches had to “beg him to play”. He left Baylor because he couldn’t keep his act together, and since his breakout 2013 season (when he had something to prove after leaving Baylor because he couldn’t keep his act together) he’s been less than pedestrian putting up less than 50 catches for less than 400 yards and 2 TD’s. 

The guy wanted to prove those who doubted him wrong after he left Baylor. He did, and his focus dissolved entirely. He got booted from the Browns (THE BROWNS) because he showed up out of the ordinary (and that’s not even his first red flag since camp started) and they’d finally grown tired of waiting on him to get his stuff together.

New England is not the place for a guy who has struggled to actually care about football. 

31 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I have literally 0 worry about this. 0.

Gordon has proven to be a career screwup. He’s proven that there are a great many things more important to him than football. 

He is not a “team first at all cost” type of player. He obviously struggles with the rules, he’s reported to be “habitually tardy”, and he just doesn’t seem to care about football, even at Baylor when coaches had to “beg him to play”. He left Baylor because he couldn’t keep his act together, and since his breakout 2013 season (when he had something to prove after leaving Baylor because he couldn’t keep his act together) he’s been less than pedestrian putting up less than 50 catches for less than 400 yards and 2 TD’s. 

The guy wanted to prove those who doubted him wrong after he left Baylor. He did, and his focus dissolved entirely. He got booted from the Browns (THE BROWNS) because he showed up out of the ordinary (and that’s not even his first red flag since camp started) and they’d finally grown tired of waiting on him to get his stuff together.

New England is not the place for a guy who has struggled to actually care about football. 

Maybe this gives him the want to prove people wrong again? If even just for this year I’ll take it! A 5th rounder for a potential game changing WR talent.. and if he screws up and gets cut the Pats get the Browns 6th or 7th rounder? So basically it ends up being draft position? Trade was a no brainer and worth the risk. 

50 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Maybe this gives him the want to prove people wrong again? If even just for this year I’ll take it! A 5th rounder for a potential game changing WR talent.. and if he screws up and gets cut the Pats get the Browns 6th or 7th rounder? So basically it ends up being draft position? Trade was a no brainer and worth the risk. 

I doubt it. He’s had something to prove each time he’s come back from suspension, but he’s yet to care enough to make anything happen. 

And in all honesty the guy doesn’t need another chance. He needs the opposite. He needs a wake up call to get himself sorted out. I doubt getting kicked out of the league would be it, but maybe it could help free up his time to find it. 

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I doubt it. He’s had something to prove each time he’s come back from suspension, but he’s yet to care enough to make anything happen. 

And in all honesty the guy doesn’t need another chance. He needs the opposite. He needs a wake up call to get himself sorted out. I doubt getting kicked out of the league would be it, but maybe it could help free up his time to find it. 

if he gets kicked out of the league then it doesnt matter if he smokes anymore

its only a problem because the nfl and their outdated policy says it is 

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It was a bad move by the parts  Gordon,  imo, will be a non factor.   Especially when he gets suspended again

Many thought that a "career finished" Randy Moss was a non factor when he was with the Raiders, The Pats got Randy and set records. IJS.

BTW, It seems like a lot of folks have nothing good to say about standout players (i.e. Khalil Mack, L. Bell, and J. Gordon). even though these players have proven to be the best at their positions respectively. And somehow the Colts are better off without them. I wander why and how. 

They say Bell is too old (27 y/o), Khalil Mack wants to much money (So you think you could get A.Luck for the price of Ryan Tannenhill, or Matt Cassell), and J. Gordon (Well hes x,y,z.) I don't understand peoples reasoning. Have an excuse about everything.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Weird all the reports said he got his act together... just thatone random one came out last week saying he “wasn’t acting himself” which is hilarious since the Browns have only ever seen him High or drunk since they drafted him.. 

Also maybe after all the rehab what he needed was to change his work environment and where he lives. I have friends did rehab and they were all told change their patterns and well this will do that for him.

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

But they say it’s a problem. It’s not up to you or him or anyone else to turn it into a subjective issue. Disagreement doesn’t not mean exemption from the rule. 

I might like to partake myself, and while I don’t agree with the rules I’m smart enough to know I am breaking them and subject to resulting punishment. 

When I get caught I’ll pay my due debt. 

Will I need numerous stents in rehab?

Of course not. I’m sure you well know that there is no addictive property involved. 

Which indicates a much deeper issue here than a guy who likes to unwind in his own way at the end of the day. 

Which, again, is bad news for this guy’s future. 

27 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

But they say it’s a problem. It’s not up to you or him or anyone else to turn it into a subjective issue. Disagreement doesn’t not mean exemption from the rule. 

if no one brings it up then it wont get changed.  laws are changing around the country and weed is relevant to the nfl, so i would not be surprised if this rule doesnt stand much longer  

it doesnt look he is in any actual trouble with the league right now either.  if the patriots get even one good season out of him its probably worth the price they paid 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Many thought that a "career finished" Randy Moss was a non factor when he was with the Raiders, The Pats got Randy and set records. IJS.

BTW, It seems like a lot of folks have nothing good to say about standout players (i.e. Khalil Mack, L. Bell, and J. Gordon). even though these players have proven to be the best at their positions respectively. And somehow the Colts are better off without them. I wander why and how. 

They say Bell is too old (27 y/o), Khalil Mack wants to much money (So you think you could get A.Luck for the price of Ryan Tannenhill, or Matt Cassell), and J. Gordon (Well hes x,y,z.) I don't understand peoples reasoning. Have an excuse about everything.

First Randy did not have issues along the lines of not playing for mulitple years and still a potential bad move from banishment. Randy just took plays off and was outspoken about not wanting to be in Oakland. So, I can see a comparison based on Patriots grabbing two good WR's but that's about it.

The second part makes no sense though. Are you trying t o spark an argument by just throwing these names out there? I mean the poeple talk about how good these players all the time so not sure what you mean? Why are we better off without a DE thats solid but took Chicagos future picks plus 23 mil/year? Well because we are building...pretty simple really. We need those picks. Bell is still on a team and why would you pay him say 13-15 mil/year? Gordon has issues off the field but with this trade scenario I would have gave it a try but based on how Ballard has been since day 1 I am not shocked we did not.

The last part you mention Luck for the price of Tannehill or Cassell...again confusing as in why this is stated? These aren't excuses but rather statements of ones opinion versus yours.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

First Randy did not have issues along the lines of not playing for mulitple years and still a potential bad move from banishment. Randy just took plays off and was outspoken about not wanting to be in Oakland. So, I can see a comparison based on Patriots grabbing two good WR's but that's about it.

The second part makes no sense though. Are you trying t o spark an argument by just throwing these names out there? I mean the poeple talk about how good these players all the time so not sure what you mean? Why are we better off without a DE thats solid but took Chicagos future picks plus 23 mil/year? Well because we are building...pretty simple really. We need those picks. Bell is still on a team and why would you pay him say 13-15 mil/year? Gordon has issues off the field but with this trade scenario I would have gave it a try but based on how Ballard has been since day 1 I am not shocked we did not.

The last part you mention Luck for the price of Tannehill or Cassell...again confusing as in why this is stated? These aren't excuses but rather statements of ones opinion versus yours.

You took 3 paragraphs to rehash precisely what I said. Then you say I make no sense.

These aren't excuses but rather statements of ones opinion versus yours.

smh. That was bad. 

If Gordon simply stays on the field (and avoids further suspensions), he will help the Patriots. At the very least, he'll be a nice decoy on the outside, hopefully opening things up for Gronkowski and Edelman (when the later returns). 

Maybe you guys haven't seen any NE games these past two weeks, but this is probably the worst group of pass-catchers they've had since 2006. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

He can reapply for reinstatement after one year. My educated guess is if he attended rehab with verified success and professionals approvals, he would be let back in, but still in Stage 3 protocol.

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

The NFL policy on marijuana (not others like cocaine, MDMA, opiates, amphetamines, PES, etc) was made much more lenient very recently. In both levels to be considered positive, and reduction in punishments. Now-

All players will be tested at least once per league year during training camp for substances of abuse, including marijuana.

A first offense for any of those drugs enters a player into Stage One of the intervention program for a period of 90 days. If a player tests positive again while in Stage One, he'll be subject to an immediate three-week fine and be advanced to Stage Two (for at least 1 year). {These incidences almost never get leaked to the media}

In Stage Two, players will be subject to unannounced testing up to 10 times a month and marijuana is separated into its own (more lenient) discipline structure.

Next violation relating to MJ 2 game fine (that's 3 violations now)
Next violation relating to MJ 4 game fine (that's now 4 violations for MJ)
Next violation relating to MJ 4 game suspension (has taken 5 violations though!) Now media gets the word!
Next violation relating to MJ 10 game suspension, automatic entry into Stage 3 (for at least 2 years, after 6 failed tests)
Next violation relating to MJ is Banishment, can apply for reinstatement after 1 year

So any guy that gets suspended for 4 games? If it was for MJ, he already as failed 4 other tests.

Gordon can be tested up to 10 times a month.  Since his last punishment was the 10 game variety, his next is a minimum 1 year ban. Players never testing positive for substances or PES can smoke after every game now until the end of the season. They cannot be tested for it again until the off season. Most likely at training camp, but could also be at OTA's too. But testing for Performance Enhancing Substances continues during the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoPats said:

If Gordon simply stays on the field (and avoids further suspensions), he will help the Patriots. At the very least, he'll be a nice decoy on the outside, hopefully opening things up for Gronkowski and Edelman (when the later returns). 

Maybe you guys haven't seen any NE games these past two weeks, but this is probably the worst group of pass-catchers they've had since 2006. 

He will have a limited playbook. especially early, I'll bet. But if he executes it, it will be effective for him, Gronk, and Julian.  If he doesn't Brady will will be all over him.  If he still doesn't, he may not be on the roster long enough to get his 10 games in and the Pats get a late round pick back.

38 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

You took 3 paragraphs to rehash precisely what I said. Then you say I make no sense.

These aren't excuses but rather statements of ones opinion versus yours.

smh. That was bad. 

Out of all you said there were parts that did not make since...hints why I said that. If you have no comment or cannot respond then maybe next time just do not comment...

smh. that was bad.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

He will have a limited playbook. especially early, I'll bet. But if he executes it, it will be effective for him, Gronk, and Julian.  If he doesn't Brady will will be all over him.  If he still doesn't, he may not be on the roster long enough to get his 10 games in and the Pats get a late round pick back.

Was just sort of thinking that even if he's a mess, he still has be to accounted for by the defense. That ties up a corner, usually a halfway decent one, who may otherwise be part of a double-team on Gronk or following Edelman wherever he goes. 

I don't know, they could cut him this week for all I know. But it's not like they gave much up here. If he flames out, it's effectively a swap of a 5th for a 7th. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That has little to do with the standard expected from Colts players.  Not wanting him and his past history around the locker room is not a fault.

Spa man whose only issue is his OWN substance abuse is bad be around the Colts locker room?   You make it sound like this guy is a wife beater, or some sick violent jerk (whobsurprisingly get a lesser sentence than a man with a drug issue) 

47 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Spa man whose only issue is his OWN substance abuse is bad be around the Colts locker room?   You make it sound like this guy is a wife beater, or some sick violent jerk (whobsurprisingly get a lesser sentence than a man with a drug issue) 

Why read into something I said into something you think I said?

The issue I was referring to was his inability to have enough self control to choose weed over his life long dream. The NFL is something players train for most of their lives. He has lost over 4 years due to his stupid choices. What makes it even worse is he knew he was going to be tested and then didn't have the self control nor the will not to be dirty. That not only makes him mentally weak but shows his lack of common sense. I could go further into that but it's not necessary.

8 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

What you are calling excuses are different opinions than yours. When you accept that you won't  get ragged on so much.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why read into something I said into something you think I said?

The issue I was referring to was his inability to have enough self control to choose weed over his life long dream. The NFL is something players train for most of their lives. He has lost over 4 years due to his stupid choices. What makes it even worse is he knew he was going to be tested and then didn't have the self control nor the will not to be dirty. That not only makes him mentally weak but shows his lack of common sense. I could go further into that but it's not necessary.

No you said he be bad for the locker room.  Sometimes people just need a change of sceneries and not being around the same people to break the cycle of abuse..

3 hours ago, GoPats said:

Hey buddy how are you?   Yes, I watched both of your games, thus, my statement earlier.  This is a different team.

Also, Tom is not invincible and he's been getting hit..  It may start to take a toll.

I'm not going to say they won't get it together though, cause sure as % they'll prove me wrong.  haha 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

Which makes me wonder why they got rid of two of their receivers in the offseason?

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Which makes me wonder why they got rid of two of their receivers in the offseason?

The contract market for wide recievers went sky high this season. The Patriots don't overpay.

Brandin Cooks 5 year, $81,000,000 ($49,459,000 guaranteed)
Danny Amendola 2 year, $12,000,000 ($6,000,000 guaranteed) (33 years old in Nov.)

• Like 2