Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson owns Geno Atkins

ColtStrong2013

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Our #6 pick playing well against an elite defensive tackle in his first start is insignificant... 

I'm not intending on attacking your opinion, but that is kind of ridiculous don't you think? What is significant to you? What floats your boat, please share.

You did not say he lost the game, that is correct, my apologies. What you said was he didn't help us pick up any results. I think all of can agree that you are wrong on that. If it hadn't been for Quenton Nelson, there would have been zero offensive production in this game, because Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap would have had their way every play. 

If he did help us pick up a result then that result was a loss. That's a negative in my book.

What is significant to me is our players performing well enough to get a win. That's all. Other than that I'm not that fussed.

If you want to put all the offensive production purely on Nelson then that's fine.  I suppose we do also have to remember that we gave up less sacks/QB hits against Dunlop and Atkins the last time we played the Bengals so I don't think it's quite so clear cut.

Quinten played good against good competition. He had a bad holding call and a couple misses...he also got the better of Geno and some others on some plays. Overall his play was very good...much better than a typically rookie OL for sure. He played like a veteran today. I'm happy with the pick...I think Leonard also deserves some pub as I was impressed with how he flew around the field. His pass coverage was a little iffy but he closed quickly and made tackles. Our rookie RBs ran hard and made some good plays. Turay was up and down...but showed some flashes. Overall a good game from our rookies.

Ebron and Grant played well and had good report with Andrew. Hunt was all over the place and showed why he is still on the team.

On the downside...Wilson did not have a good game....Hooker did not have a good game...and a couple of our vets like Doyle and Geathers had some big miscues. I'd say TY was a little underwhelming. Had an opportunity for a big play and couldn't bring in the pass....largely was covered well by Fitzpatrick.

It was a good game...clean up some mistakes and I think we can win next week.

59 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

If he did help us pick up a result then that result was a loss. That's a negative in my book.

What is significant to me is our players performing well enough to get a win. That's all. Other than that I'm not that fussed.

If you want to put all the offensive production purely on Nelson then that's fine.  I suppose we do also have to remember that we gave up less sacks/QB hits against Dunlop and Atkins the last time we played the Bengals so I don't think it's quite so clear cut.

You are miserable if you only look at a loss... 

We performed well enough to win. We had the chance to actually blow them out late in the 3rd quarter and made a few huge mistakes. If you can't see that, then you are in for a long road this season, and every season going forward. I pity that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hooker did not have a good game.

I still consider him a rookie w/ actual experience (same tbh w/ Wilson). He played 7 games last year, and one of his knocks was bad angles. Not giving a pass to either, but the talent is there which is something we couldnt say too long ago.

22 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I have come to learn that there is a difference in being a fan of a team...and a fan of winning. They are different concepts. NO, they are not exclusive of each other, but it is the main reason, focus of the fan if you will that makes a difference. 

I love the Horseshoe. I believe, back them, and support them. Because of that, I rarely have a bad time as a fan. Winning is just icing on the cake. But if I was a fan of winning first, and then chose my team, I would be miserable most all the time, and would exist in that misery, thinking this is the way it is for a fan...blaming the team/coach/player/GM/referee for my state of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have come to learn that there is a difference in being a fan of a team...and a fan of winning. They are different concepts. NO, they are not exclusive of each other, but it is the main reason, focus of the fan if you will that makes a difference. 

I love the Horseshoe. I believe, back them, and support them. Because of that, I rarely have a bad time as a fan. Winning is just icing on the cake. But if I was a fan of winning first, and then chose my team, I would be miserable most all the time, and would exist in that misery, thinking this is the way it is for a fan...blaming the team/coach/player/GM/referee for my state of mind.

Very true. I believe in supporting these Colts through bad and good, and there have been plenty of both. I believe in focusing on positives in all games, even losses, but especially losses that should have been won, as they are often the most criticized. I saw positives on Sunday. I saw young talent that will get better over the course of this season, and most definitely through the next few seasons. I saw mistakes that are correctable. I saw a head coach who gameplanned wonderfully, and a team that didn't quite execute well enough to win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We performed well enough to win. We had the chance to actually blow them out late in the 3rd quarter and made a few huge mistakes. If you can't see that, then you are in for a long road this season, and every season going forward. I pity that. 

That's fine. I like to win games, I like to see us be successful,  it's kind of the point of being in a competition to me.

If your things is to get giddy about 12 yard runs during losses than that's fine as well. I guess we're just supporting the team for different reasons.

29 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

That's fine. I like to win games, I like to see us be successful,  it's kind of the point of being in a competition to me.

If your things is to get giddy about 12 yard runs during losses than that's fine as well. I guess we're just supporting the team for different reasons.

Good teams don't magically just become good teams. You grow throughout fb what you go through....

Just now, NewEra said:

Good teams don't magically just become good teams. You grow through what you go through....

32 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

No one here wants to lose football games Clayton. No one. But some of us are reasonable enough to know this season is as much about development and growth as a team as it is about winning. 

You won't find a more competive individual on this site than me. You won't find anyone on this site that was as upset about losing Sunday on the several hour drive home as me. But I know it isn't solely about winning and losing... and those that make it that, are generally fairweather fans, bandwagon hoppers, and negative people in all aspects of life in general. Find a reason to smile. I dare you.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Smash Mouth said:

What do you expect from his team? They started 5 rookies!  Do you think that this a 10-12 win team?  How about 6-8 wins.

Meh, 2 of the rookies were running backs. Besides, the Bengals will be marked as one of the teams we should have beat when it comes down to the end of the season.

14 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I think next year we use some of that cap for a big time OL and use our picks for defense.  Offense seems to be a couple pieces away.  Our defense still has lot of holes.

I'll believe it when I see it when Ballard spends big on a free agent. He's been very frugal so far. 

Just wanted to drop this little tidbit from a Bengals forum saying Atkins owned Nelson the majority of the game...:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/11/17843368/bengals-weekly-lineman-geno-atkins-trades-blows-top-10-pick-quenton-nelson-nfl-week-1-colts

Not saying that Atkins had a bad game.. He had quality rushes, pressures at times.  Even made Nelson hold early on...But I think Nelson won overall.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just wanted to drop this little tidbit from a Bengals forum saying Atkins owned Nelson the majority of the game...:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/11/17843368/bengals-weekly-lineman-geno-atkins-trades-blows-top-10-pick-quenton-nelson-nfl-week-1-colts

Not saying that Atkins had a bad game.. He had quality rushes, pressures at times.  Even made Nelson hold early on...But I think Nelson won overall.

They're bengals fans....nuff said lol

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'll believe it when I see it when Ballard spends big on a free agent. He's been very frugal so far. 

I agree with his frugality.  No reason to throw money around when this team has so many holes.  Fill some of those holes with young talent and bring in the FAs for whatever we can bring in.  Age is a factor too because this team is being built for a run, not win-now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No. What I said was we were playing with backup tackles. Reading comprehension is hard, I know. 

You read?? So you didn't watch the game?? I was there in prime seating, and I just reviewed film for 2 hours and the running game was night and day compared to what we have had in the past... with rookie runningbacks. Everyone in the building could see it. The two biggest mistakes we made was throwing bad screen passes when we should have ran the dang ball. 

I comprehended what you said.  You fail to comprehend that backup T is synonymous with inferior talent. 

So we played with inferior talent at T, but superior talent at G.  And that led to what kind of oline performance?

Sorry, I thought the post game analysis suggested we threw the ball 53 times because the running game wasn't working.  So we should have ran it more because it was?  Weren't we ahead 23-10 at one point?

11 hours ago, Jdubu said:

When Constanzo comes back healthy, he was a very good run blocker and that side should really open up for the run or have others overload that side which opens big cut back lanes on ththe other side. Have some optimism dude. Jesus!! 

I agree, when we improve the talent at T, the oline will show improvement.  

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Come on man, you know that one man does not make the OL. It is great that Nelson might do his part but the OL is as good as the sum of all parts and the continuity. As good as Nelson is, just like any rookie OL, being a year on an NFL regimen will only make him stronger and more savvy as time goes on. His floor being high is what excites fans, to extrapolate the ceiling.

Absolutely.  I've been saying since draft day that one player is no savior for the oline.  Especially a G.

We now have a first round C and G.  I assume when we get AC back, we can run along over the left side all game long, and Luck will also never be pressured from the left side.  That's the way it works, no? 

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I comprehended what you said.  You fail to comprehend that backup T is synonymous with inferior talent. 

So we played with inferior talent at T, but superior talent at G.  And that led to what kind of oline performance?

Sorry, I thought the post game analysis suggested we threw the ball 53 times because the running game wasn't working.  So we should have ran it more because it was?  Weren't we ahead 23-10 at one point?

And what does drafting a tackle versus Nelson this year have to do with inferior talent at a backup position due to injuries? I don't think we necessarily have inferior talent either. Our o-line performance was pretty solid considering who they were up against. Only giving up 2 sacks is a pretty good day offensively. Nick siriani said he was most impressed with the o-line, specifically in pass protection. 

Throwing 53 passes was exteme. A great chunk of those were screen passes or within 5 yards of the LOS. I recall the NE patriots throwing 100% in the 2nd half of a playoff game against the Ravens. Is that because their offensive line struggled or because it was what worked? What killed this team wasn't the run game, or the short passing game. It was when they deviated, and the skilled positions made mistakes. Andrew throwing a red zone INT. Ty dropping a deep ball down the sideline. Jack Doyle fumbling the football inside the 10. 

Did you watch the game or did you just read about it?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Absolutely.  I've been saying since draft day that one player is no savior for the oline.  Especially a G.

We now have a first round C and G.  I assume when we get AC back, we can run along over the left side all game long, and Luck will also never be pressured from the left side.  That's the way it works, no? 

the line played well enough to win Sunday.  it wont matter what they draft if they commit those dumb penalties and turnovers in the clutch 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And what does drafting a tackle versus Nelson this year have to do with inferior talent at a backup position due to injuries? I don't think we necessarily have inferior talent either. Our o-line performance was pretty solid considering who they were up against. Only giving up 2 sacks is a pretty good day offensively. Nick siriani said he was most impressed with the o-line, specifically in pass protection. 

Throwing 53 passes was exteme. A great chunk of those were screen passes or within 5 yards of the LOS. I recall the NE patriots throwing 100% in the 2nd half of a playoff game against the Ravens. Is that because their offensive line struggled or because it was what worked? What killed this team wasn't the run game, or the short passing game. It was when they deviated, and the skilled positions made mistakes. Andrew throwing a red zone INT. Ty dropping a deep ball down the sideline. Jack Doyle fumbling the football inside the 10. 

Did you watch the game or did you just read about it?

I read about the game.  But 53 pass attempts is alot. 

The quality of NEs oline is less relevant because they get rid of the ball quickly, and when they don't, rushers don't charge with ears pinned back due to the constant habit of being aware for the need to peel off and catch a receiver in the flat or near the LOS.  Scheme slows down the rush...not a high quality oline....which looks better than what it is when they actually do sit in the pocket and throw it long.  Like a trained dog, the D line has already been trained to not rush as hard right off the snap

When all that oline talent is working in Dallas, Elliott runs well and Dak doesn't attempt 53.

If we're going to have a scheme where we throw 53 times, despite being ahead by 13 points in the 3rd or 4th quarters, I don't see the need to have Dallas' oline.

So if we're not going to have an O scheme like Dallas', why does it matter that one of our Gs owned one of their DTs?

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I read about the game.  But 53 pass attempts is alot. 

The quality of NEs oline is less relevant because they get rid of the ball quickly, and when they don't, rushers don't charge with ears pinned back due to the constant habit of being aware for the need to peel off and catch a receiver in the flat or near the LOS.  Scheme slows down the rush...not a high quality oline....which looks better than what it is when they actually do sit in the pocket and throw it long.  Like a trained dog, the D line has already been trained to not rush as hard right off the snap

When all that oline talent is working in Dallas, Elliott runs well and Dak doesn't attempt 53.

If we're going to have a scheme where we throw 53 times, despite being ahead by 13 points in the 3rd or 4th quarters, I don't see the need to have Dallas' oline.

So if we're not going to have an O scheme like Dallas', why does it matter that one of our Gs owned one of their DTs?

That Dallas o-line gave up 6 sacks. Less than a hundred rushing yards, and lost. 

Like New England, we threw the ball quickly and efficiently on Sunday. We also had great protection in the interior, which is necessary for getting rid of the ball quickly and efficiently, especially when going up against premier interior defensive lineman. We threw the ball 53 times because of the defensive line we were facing, and we had success early. It's not the scheme going forward. It was the circumstance of the opponent. Frank wants balance, just like they had in Philly, and it starts with a good line... one that Quenton Nelson will be leading for years to come. 

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

I read where the running game stunk again.  Just more confirmation that Tackles are the more IMPORTANT positions in an oline.

NAILED IT  Hire this man now!!!!!!!! already has proven more fit for the job than 2 NFL GM's...... hell, he could probably be his own scouting department as well.  (After you are done pontificating about all the tired old cliches you repeat about team building, and stating how misguided our team is according to those standards, I wouldn't be shocked at all for you to start blaming the owner for some very, very, strange, and baseless reason)  - Change my mind.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, MPStack said:

I’m pretty sure that Nelson is going to be really good, but G. Atkins had a pretty good game overall. I’d also say Atkins won the match up in this game.  

I agree, I saw him blow by Nelson a couple times, one of those times resulting in a holding call by Nelson. but overall, the offensive line has improved from last year. LT side still needs work and im hoping when Costanzo comes back, it'll be better. I still think we need to draft a tackle next year though. Was really hoping to see what Braden Smith would bring to the table.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

Our Offensive line has dramatically changed since bringing Nelson in. I'm really digging' the trio of Nelson, Kelly, and Slauson in the middle to open up holes for the running game, as well as give Luck a clean pocket to work with while looking downfield in the passing game.

Agree.  Slauson makes Kelly better...Kelly makes Nelson better...Nelson makes Kelly better, etc.  That's 3/5 solid linemen and when you add AC when he returns we have 4/5...that hasn't been the case for a long, long time!

On 9/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, Deadpool said:

I agree, I saw him blow by Nelson a couple times, one of those times resulting in a holding call by Nelson. but overall, the offensive line has improved from last year. LT side still needs work and im hoping when Costanzo comes back, it'll be better. I still think we need to draft a tackle next year though. Was really hoping to see what Braden Smith would bring to the table.

I think Braden Smith can be a really good RG for us in the near future. I don't know how good of a RT he would be, but I know he could succeed and succeed very well at RG. He is more of a power player who won't get moved too often.