Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilarious Phillip Dorsett article

Pacergeek

I think there's a chance he does breakout honestly, or at least has a decent season. He's got a pretty golden opportunity at least. The Pats have barely anybody at WR while Edelman serves his suspension, and he's got Brady and a really good (albeit snake-ish) OC. 

People give him a hard time because he was picked in the 1st round and underperformed to that extent, but I thought he flashed some potential here and there. Not 1st round potential but still. Pat McAfee even said he always looked like a beast in practice for whatever it's worth, and I remember reading that he was doing well in TC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Considering the WR depth issues the Colts have right now, it'd be kind of nice to have Dorsett around, I'd be especially intrigued to see how Frank Reich would utilize him.

On top of that, you literally think every player's a bust, so it's kind of hard to take you seriously when you post stuff like this.

• Like 1

• Superman locked and unlocked this topic

Moved to NFL General.

Also, the Pats #1 receiver is out, they traded their #2 receiver, and Dorsett is a talented player. I'm not holding my breath, but the idea that he could break out isn't unreasonable. He wouldn't be the first player to have unexpected success in New England.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

remember he only had the same amount of time as brissett had here to learn the patriots system, and the patriots book is probably the hardest in the league to learn 

i could see him producing this year, then they let him go next year rather than pay him 

He had the base talent. Whether he was drafted a round early or not is debatable but given how long it takes for pass catchers to get acclimatized to the NE offense with their terms and formations, it is reasonable to expect Dorsett to not get up and running full speed till after a full season and off season. 

Considering how thin the Patriots are at the WR position right now, it's not as much of a stretch as one might think. Someone's got to get the targets. 

Aside from that, haven't you guys spent the last few years complaining about Pagano? If a guy is coached up right, it can make all the difference in the world. I don't think anyone is predicting 90 catches, 1200 yards, and 10 TDs for him, but I could see Dorsett catching at least 50 balls and ending up somewhere in the 800-yard range with a handful of TDs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Considering how thin the Patriots are at the WR position right now, it's not as much of a stretch as one might think. Someone's got to get the targets. 

Aside from that, haven't you guys spent the last few years complaining about Pagano? If a guy is coached up right, it can make all the difference in the world. I don't think anyone is predicting 90 catches, 1200 yards, and 10 TDs for him, but I could see Dorsett catching at least 50 balls and ending up somewhere in the 800-yard range with a handful of TDs. 

Looking at the Colts WR depth chart right now, I'd welcome Dorsett to Frank Reich's offensive scheme with open arms.

• Like 3

I hope he does well and and has a nice career.  Kid has skill and if he can blossom under NE coaching he can go to being an impact player for them or another team.  Disappointed we basically spent a first round pick on a back up QB but we may be able to flip Brissett and recoup something.  However, I like to see our picks do something...guy had average coaching to start his career and hopefully it didn’t stunt his growth to the point it ruins his career. 

• Like 1

Breaking out in NE wouldn’t mean the Colts got it wrong. I know the fear here is that when our players with upside that never manifests get released, another team will pick them up and they’ll break out, but it excludes the Patriots. B.B. is the GOAT HC. Almost anyone can break out there.

I watched him in the preseason the game Tom played lengthy into. He looked very good in that game. They were using him in those quick hitters that they do and wr screens giving him the ball and letting him use his speed (something we should have been doing all along). Honestly he played a very similar role to how Cooks did last year. I'm not going to sit here and say he will have a 1000 yd season but I can see him making an impact. If everyone stays healthy I can see 800yds and 4 TDs. I think it is finally starting to click for him.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I watched him in the preseason the game Tom played lengthy into. He looked very good in that game. They were using him in those quick hitters that they do and wr screens giving him the ball and letting him use his speed (something we should have been doing all along). Honestly he played a very similar role to how Cooks did last year. I'm not going to sit here and say he will have a 1000 yd season but I can see him making an impact. If everyone stays healthy I can see 800yds and 4 TDs. I think it is finally starting to click for him.

Or maybe it would have started with us if he was used correctly?

• Like 1

Just curious.  At the time Dorsett was drafted, there was a rumor that he was coveted by another team who was below us.  I think it was Houston, but NE was drafting 31 or 32.  I was thinking maybe NE always had some interest in Dorsett and that's one reason why they were a trading partner.  IIRC, NE ended drafting DT Brown with their pick.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Just curious.  At the time Dorsett was drafted, there was a rumor that he was coveted by another team who was below us.  I think it was Houston, but NE was drafting 31 or 32.  I was thinking maybe NE always had some interest in Dorsett and that's one reason why they were a trading partner.  IIRC, NE ended drafting DT Brown with their pick.

Who has been a really good player and probably should have been our pick at the time lol. Funny how that works out.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who has been a really good player and probably should have been our pick at the time lol. Funny how that works out.

We got Ridgeway in the third, so its working out okay, and Anderson was drafted around that time too.   Just wondering if NE was a team that was interested back then, maybe not at 32.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

We got Ridgeway in the third, so its working out okay, and Anderson was drafted around that time too.   Just wondering if NE was a team that was interested back then, maybe not at 32.

Ridgeway was a 4th rounder in 2016 when Kelly TJ Green and Clark went ahead of him. This may be Grig's best draft when it's all said and done. There are 3 players still with the team Kelly Clark and Haeg the most of any of his draft classes. I wanted Ngakoue day 3 that year but who could complain with that haul. 

Anderson went in the 3rd the year before. That draft class gave us Geathers in the 4th Goode who we found in the 7th. None of the other 6 selections are with the team. Looking back 2 out of 8 isn't so bad for that regime. When you consider we have zero players on the team from the 2013 and 2014 drafts. 

That's a 3 year span with 20 selections that netted Geathers and Good. We have no one else from those three drafts on the roster. Think about that. It seems almost impossible to have drafted that poorly. We were 2 for 20 a 10% success rate. Wow

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Ridgeway was a 4th rounder in 2016 when Kelly TJ Green and Clark went ahead of him. This may be Grig's best draft when it's all said and done. There are 3 players still with the team Kelly Clark and Haeg the most of any of his draft classes. I wanted Ngakoue day 3 that year but who could complain with that haul. 

Anderson went in the 3rd the year before. That draft class gave us Geathers in the 4th Goode who we found in the 7th. None of the other 6 selections are with the team. Looking back 2 out of 8 isn't so bad for that regime. When you consider we have zero players on the team from the 2013 and 2014 drafts. 

That's a 3 year span with 20 selections that netted Geathers and Good. We have no one else from those three drafts on the roster. Think about that. It seems almost impossible to have drafted that poorly. We were 2 for 20 a 10% success rate. Wow

Yeah,  I think a lot of players that were drafted in 2013 are no longer in the NFL.  I read something that it may have been the worse crop of collegiate draftees in 15 years.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:27 AM, DougDew said:

As I remember , the rumor was that Houston was trying to trade back into the end of the 1st round (NE's pick) to draft Dorsett. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Now if they get Corey Coleman playing good then that's double to deal with in terms of speed.

From what I saw of Coleman on Hard Knocks I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will have trouble dealing the hoodie. PD was a good kid by all accounts he just struggled to put it together on the field for us. As hard as it is for me to like a Patriot its good to see PD have some success. 

16 hours ago, GoPats said:

Just one game, but... he looked pretty good on Sunday. I almost like the fact that he had a lot of catches and not that many yards. Shows that he's integrated into the NE system. Very Edelman-type of stat line. 

Its what we still need at WR.  We've needed it for about 5 years.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:28 PM, GoPats said:

You're exactly right @GoPats. A lot of us in INDY did moan & groan about Pagano's coaching myself included. NE is clearly getting more out of Dorsett then we ever did. Like WR Reggie Wayne said when he wore the Pats uniform briefly in Boston, the coaching in Foxboro is next level. BB is a mad scientist who gets the most out of castoffs & traded players usually.

Don't fret over the Jags loss BTW, you guys will still win your division & make a deep playoff run like always. Hope the family is doing well & keep rock climbing with your kids man. :thmup:

• Like 1