Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have signed Rookie LB Darius Leonard

TKnight24

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Was there any really doubt?

There was definitely some doubt. I believe there were 13 unsigned picks remaining (7 in the top 10), heading into today. One or two of those players could of easily held out, and that could of easily been Leonard. Not sure if any are holding out, but it was definitely a concern.

21 hours ago, Savage said:

I actually love him in that number 53 jersey. Haven't been this excited to see someone in that number for the Colts since the Marcus Washington days.

I once shook hands with Marcus and I literally couldn’t get my hand around his hand to shake it.

2 hours ago, Savage said:

I actually love him in that number 53 jersey. Haven't been this excited to see someone in that number for the Colts since the Marcus Washington days.

Imagine we had kept him and Peterson long term? Would have been a solid LB core. They went on and were pretty good for their respective teams..

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There was definitely some doubt. I believe there were 13 unsigned picks remaining (7 in the top 10), heading into today. One or two of those players could of easily held out, and that could of easily been Leonard. Not sure if any are holding out, but it was definitely a concern.

I think you were one of three people in the world concerned. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wig said:

I think you were one of three people in the world concerned. 

Easy to say now with hindsight. Had he not signed, you would of started bashing Ballard like many others on this forum. Best not to run your mouth wig. You had no idea just like me, and I'm the wrong person to try and bully, so don't even attempt it.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Easy to say now with hindsight. Had he not signed, you would of started bashing Ballard like many others on this forum. Best not to run your mouth wig. You had no idea just like me, and I'm the wrong person to try and bully, so don't even attempt it.

steamboat.jpg.22060573a28fd502ad19fd55fede2b05.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It always is.

Just don't quit your day-job to be a poker player, dude.

You seem to have trouble remaining stone-faced until all the cards have fallen, friend.

tenor.gif?itemid=4268615

That's pretty ironic considering it used to be my day job. Also, it's a forum, I'll overreact anyway I want within reason. It should of never come down to the last minute. This isn't Leveon Bell or Aaron Donald, it's Darius Leonard. A 2nd round pick on a rookie contract. There's also history of Ballard not being able to seal the deal in FA, so my worries are/were warranted, especially when I created the thread asking if they were going to sign their contracts. People ran their mouths saying I was overreacting, and it came down to mere hours about a month later. These same people would of been scared to bet money on it 24 hours before the deadline, and I was consistent the whole way through that it wasn't a lock. Of course, people will now act like it's no big deal even though they would be bashing Ballard if the deal didn't get done.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I had exactly zero concern over the entire thing. There is no precedent of this being a concern since the latest CBA. Don't cite Bosa, we aren't talking about a top 5 pick. You got yourself worked up over nothing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's pretty ironic considering it used to be my day job. Also, it's a forum, I'll overreact anyway I want within reason. It should of never come down to the last minute. This isn't Leveon Bell or Aaron Donald, it's Darius Leonard. A 2nd round pick on a rookie contract. There's also history of Ballard not being able to seal the deal in FA, so my worries are/were warranted, especially when I created the thread asking if they were going to sign their contracts. People ran their mouths saying I was overreacting, and it came down to mere hours about a month later. These same people would of been scared to bet money on it 24 hours before the deadline, and I was consistent the whole way through that it wasn't a lock. Of course, people will now act like it's no big deal even though they would be bashing Ballard if the deal didn't get done.

At least you’re consistent...    wrong, but consistent.

This is now twice you’ve said people here would be blaming Ballard if the Leonard deal hadn’t gotten done.

The only people who’d be bashing Ballard are the ones who don’t understand the new CBA.   Everyone else — the vast majority — would be bashing Leonard and his agents.   That’s where the responsibility would’ve been correctly placed.    For some reason you don’t know that.

And once again you trot out another wrong example with Ballard....   in your mind “he can’t close the deal.” You take the 2018 free agency season and interpret it as he CAN’T close the deal,  when the correct understanding is that the only deal he wanted to close on in 2018 were the ones on HIS TERMS.   And as I’ve explained to you repeatedly, Ballard closed the deal 10 times in the 2017 free agency season.  But you keep forgetting that even though it was only one year ago.

Ballard wasn’t the problem with Leonard,  the agents who wanted things they mostly weren’t going to get were the problem.

It’s the first day of camp and here you are knocking heads with folks.   You might want to consider keeping your powder dry and enjoying the new season.    Just a thought....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wig said:

I had exactly zero concern over the entire thing. There is no precedent of this being a concern since the latest CBA. Don't cite Bosa, we aren't talking about a top 5 pick. You got yourself worked up over nothing. 

Matter of fact, I would have bet that the details were agreed to weeks ago but they waited until camp to have it signed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is now twice you’ve said people here would be blaming Ballard if the Leonard deal hadn’t gotten done.

The only people who’d be bashing Ballard are the ones who don’t understand the new CBA.   Everyone else — the vast majority — would be bashing Leonard and his agents.   That’s where the responsibility would’ve been correctly placed.    For some reason you don’t know that.

And once again you trot out another wrong example with Ballard....   in your mind “he can’t close the deal.” You take the 2018 free agency season and interpret it as he CAN’T close the deal,  when the correct understanding is that the only deal he wanted to close on in 2018 were the ones on HIS TERMS.   And as I’ve explained to you repeatedly, Ballard closed the deal 10 times in the 2017 free agency season.  But you keep forgetting that even though it was only one year ago.

Ballard wasn’t the problem with Leonard,  the agents who wanted things they mostly weren’t going to get were the problem.

It’s the first day of camp and here you are knocking heads with folks.   You might want to consider keeping your powder dry and enjoying the new season.    Just a thought....

Ok, the difference would be that people would complain about Leonard instead of Ballard. The point stands that they'd be bashing people that had a legit gripe with Leonard to doing exactly what they did if he didn't sign toward him. Usually they will sign, but it's not a given, and I stand by my point that Ballard has a problem with contract negotiations when it comes to signing players. You can call it "his terms", but the fact is that not a lot of players of value buy into it if he's getting his 2nd and 3rd choices. Just signing players is one thing, having the ability to attract GOOD players is another, and we're to the point where it seems Ballard is playing hardball where even our draft picks aren't satisfied with negotiations (Braden and Leonard). FA's are difficult, there are 31 other teams as competition. Draft picks should be easy. Not saying Ballard is incompetent, but it is a cause of concern as a pattern is showing. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ok, the difference would be that people would complain about Leonard instead of Ballard. The point stands that they'd be bashing people that had a legit gripe with Leonard to doing exactly what they did if he didn't sign toward him. Usually they will sign, but it's not a given, and I stand by my point that Ballard has a problem with contract negotiations when it comes to signing players. You can call it "his terms", but the fact is that not a lot of players of value buy into it if he's getting his 2nd and 3rd choices. Just signing players is one thing, having the ability to attract GOOD players is another, and we're to the point where it seems Ballard is playing hardball where even our draft picks aren't satisfied with negotiations (Braden and Leonard). FA's are difficult, there are 31 other teams as competition. Draft picks should be easy. Not saying Ballard is incompetent, but it is a cause of concern as a pattern is showing. 

Jared....

You're going from bad to worse.    Almost none of this post is true.   Literally.

Ballard does not have a problem with signing players.    None.    The Colts were the first team in the NFL in 2017 to sign their entire draft class.    I think it was done in roughly a week to 10 days, but the Colts were first.      And we had 9 of 11 signed in the same time frame this year.    Two guys tried to overplay their hands and they delayed signing sooner.    That ISN'T a Ballard problem,  that's an issue for the players and their representation.   You're the only one here screaming this is a Ballard problem.    It's not.

Ballard is playing hardball because he doesn't want to establish precident.    Once you give in to agents on certain demands on a rookie contract, then ALL THE AGENTS will want the same consideration.     And Ballard is not alone.    All the GM's are taking this approach,  this is not a Balard thing.   That's why rookie holdouts are so rare these days.    Almost no one holds out anymore.    There is no problem for Ballard.     Smith and Leonard are signed and in camp.   

As for free agency,  it doeesn't matter what players buy into.    Ballard has already said he's not taking his approach in Free Agency much longer.    He hasn't been specific,  but he's telegraphed that it likely is only going to last one more year.    You can probably look for him to be far more aggressive in the 2020 free agency.    He'll be selective one more year.    Once Ballard opens-up the check book,  players will be happy to sign.    Just as they did in 2017.    Ballard has been taking this approach to acquire more compensatory picks.   This year,  his approach got us a 4 and maybe a 7 for Moncrief and others.     Ballard knows that successful teams are helped by extra compensatory draft picks.

In Ballard's first three years,  he will have drafted roughly 30 players in 3 drafts.   That's 4 seasons worth of picks in just 3 years.    The culture change that he wants will have been achieved and he will go fill out the roster with players who will command bigger contracts.     

If you read the stories that this website puts out,  if you view and listen to Ballard,  he will give you a pretty good idea of what he's trying to do.    He's laid out a vision.   If you take the time to understand him,   Ballard is not a hard guy to read and understand.

And Irsay has signed on with every decision.    As owners go,  Irsay has a pretty good understanding of things.     There's a popular saying all over sports these days that I'm sure you've heard of................    Trust the Process!     

I'm recommending that for you and everyone who questions Ballard.     I do from time to time. But I also trust him.    I may be curious as to why he doesn't sign ths guy or that guy,   but I trust him.     He hasn't done anything for me not to trust him.

So......   Trust the Process and you'll sleep better at night and enjoy this website even more.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jared....

You're going from bad to worse.    Almost none of this post is true.   Literally.

Ballard does not have a problem with signing players.    None.    The Colts were the first team in the NFL in 2017 to sign their entire draft class.    I think it was done in roughly a week to 10 days, but the Colts were first.      And we had 9 of 11 signed in the same time frame this year.    Two guys tried to overplay their hands and they delayed signing sooner.    That ISN'T a Ballard problem,  that's an issue for the players and their representation.   You're the only one here screaming this is a Ballard problem.    It's not.

Ballard is playing hardball because he doesn't want to establish precident.    Once you give in to agents on certain demands on a rookie contract, then ALL THE AGENTS will want the same consideration.     And Ballard is not alone.    All the GM's are taking this approach,  this is not a Balard thing.   That's why rookie holdouts are so rare these days.    Almost no one holds out anymore.    There is no problem for Ballard.     Smith and Leonard are signed and in camp.   

As for free agency,  it doeesn't matter what players buy into.    Ballard has already said he's not taking his approach in Free Agency much longer.    He hasn't been specific,  but he's telegraphed that it likely is only going to last one more year.    You can probably look for him to be far more aggressive in the 2020 free agency.    He'll be selective one more year.    Once Ballard opens-up the check book,  players will be happy to sign.    Just as they did in 2017.

In Ballard's first three years,  he will have drafted roughly 30 players in 3 drafts.   That's 4 seasons worth of picks in just 3 years.    The culture change that he wants will have been achieved and he will go fill out the roster with players who will command bigger contracts.     

If you read the stories that this website puts out,  if you view and listen to Ballard,  he will give you a pretty good idea of what he's trying to do.    He's laid out a vision.   If you take the time to understand him,   Ballard is not a hard guy to read and understand.

And Irsay has signed on with every decision.    As owners go,  Irsay has a pretty good understanding of things.     There's a popular saying all over sports these days that I'm sure you've heard of................    Trust the Process!     

I'm recommending that for you and everyone who questions Ballard.     I do from time to time. But I also trust him.    I may be curious as to why he doesn't sign ths guy or that guy,   but I trust him.     He hasn't done anything for me not to trust him.

So......   Trust the Process and you'll sleep better at night and enjoy this website even more.

Just some food for thought.

Good post and fair enough. I won't mention the Leonard signing again. Going to just enjoy the season from here. It's over and done with!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Matter of fact, I would have bet that the details were agreed to weeks ago but they waited until camp to have it signed. 

Yup.    And thank you.

For about a week or so Ballard has been saying he was very confident Leonard would be signed for the opener of camp.    Likely because as you noted, they’d already reached a verbal agreement.

Seems similar to Ballard being confident that Luck would soon be throwing.    Because privately he’d already seen Luck throw with Reich.

Fans are not privy to everything.

Thanks for your observation.   Spot on as always!

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I thought there were only two we drafted and both weren't hold outs, they had prior requirements that prevented them from signing

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hahahahaha what????? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard has had a couple great FA for what he wanted to accomplish. He hosted some big names, who only entertained the idea to see what kind of money was on the table. They were never coming here this year unless we offered stupid money... and that would be stupid. Ballard methodically plays the game in FA, and this next one could be big if Luck plays well and the team trends in the proper direction. This is a big year for Ballard coming up... and I look forward to watching it play out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Hahahahaha what????? 

Yeah,  found that funny too.  As I found out personally, his method for not being bullied is to block and run to the mods when I dared to question the facts of one of his rants.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.    And thank you.

For about a week or so Ballard has been saying he was very confident Leonard would be signed for the opener of camp.    Likely because as you noted, they’d already reached a verbal agreement.

Seems similar to Ballard being confident that Luck would soon be throwing.    Because privately he’d already seen Luck throw with Reich.

Fans are not privy to everything.

Thanks for your observation.   Spot on as always!

If I was the player and I agreed to a contract weeks ago I would have signed it immediately.   Too many crazy things can go wrong in a few weeks.  I can't think of any good reason to intentionally wait.  I would bank that guaranteed money asap.  JMO.