threeflight

I have seen 1.5 Ballard Drafts..color me not impressed

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

I think its a square.  :)

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

I’m going to trust someone who does this for a living versus some dude on a message board.  You shouldn’t be surprised about any of this if you take one second to listen to Ballard.  He’s talked from day one about about building from the trenches out... sorry but your opinion is clearly uninformed..  I’ll take a good oline, as well as, a linebacker who has 6 ints and 8 FF. 

17 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Braden Smith started 41 SEC games has played both G spots and RT He makes the line better competes for a starting spot immediately. Good pick

Davis the ILB many wanted including myself hope we add Avery too Good pick starter

Then we take DE Lewis from OSU and Turay who would be better known if he played somewhere beside Rutgers. 

We added a RB and CB's last year CB may still think those guys can play 

All of this!  Great perspective and post!  Life doesn’t operate in a vacuum.  Ballard built with pieces last year.  He’s adding more this year.  There will be more next year.   You don’t fix a 4-12 team in one draft or one off season.  You don’t replenish a roster in a year or two.  

The emotional outbursts here are good theater. It’s good to remember that all those “best available” and “who’s left” lists exist because all 32 GMs, not just Ballard, has yet to pick a player.  But yeah, us fans have it all figured out.  They shoulda.  Yep.  

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't have access to draft boards obviously, but I do study things like schemes and needs, GM preference, and some other factors that can tell me with some accuracy how well players fall. I will be wrong a lot, but usually I'm within the ballpark. In this case, trading down 6-8 spots on our DE's probably would of been fine and picked up a 4th and 5th next year between them. I will admit now that Braden Smith wouldn't of fell. Ballard took him at the correct spot and I was off. Leonard I can't determine.

I would love to bet even money that you are correct on at least the DE from Temple. But to Ballards credit he did trade down a few spots and pick up what really amounts to a 6th. Maybe there wasn't a partner in your 6th to 8th spot ? As For the other DE , you and he just plain disagree on that one. Ballard moved up 3 spots there.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I would love to bet even money that you are correct on at least the DE from Temple. But to Ballards credit he did trade down a few spots and pick up what really amounts to a 6th. Maybe there wasn't a partner in your 6th to 8th spot ? As For the other DE , you and he just plain disagree on that one. Ballard moved up 3 spots there.

I heard from a friend today that Lewis was projected a mid  2nd rounder on a lot of GM's boards. So yes, Ballard might of had to trade up to get him. He was a value pick. Leonard may not of fell either, but that one I'm not sure of. I do know he was Ballard's top ranked LB on day 2. Turay I have no idea still, but Ballard is really high on him, so that might of been a man-crush pick by him for the D-Line.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I heard from a friend today that Lewis was projected a mid  2nd rounder on a lot of GM's boards. So yes, Ballard might of had to trade up to get him. He was a value pick. Leonard may not of fell either, but that one I'm not sure of. I do know he was Ballard's top ranked LB on day 2. Turay I have no idea still, but Ballard is really high on him, so that might of been a man-crush pick by him for the D-Line.

I really am not all that familiar with any of the 2nd rounders , so it's a wait and see for me. I do think Ballard did a heck of a job accumulating all those picks for swapping Chubb for Nelson. I read somewhere that that was by far the most lopsided trade in the draft. I also read that the Jets never even talked to the Giants about pick 1.2 , so hard to say they could have had the same deal if they waited on the trade ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

73 posts...

I hope this isn't a knock on a forum member because their 73 reputation is lower than your 387 reputation.

I doubt you want those of us with higher reputations doing the same thing to you.

thumbs_up_waynes_world.gif

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard is really high on him, so that might of been a man-crush pick by him for the D-Line.

Now he has to have a "man-crush" on a player because he made sure he picked them before the other 31 GMs?

Jim-Halpert-Looks-at-Computer-Shakes-Hea

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Now he has to have a "man-crush" on a player because he made sure he picked them before the other 31 GMs?

Jim-Halpert-Looks-at-Computer-Shakes-Hea

I post 10,000 positive things, including a thread about Ballard, and you single me out about this sentence? He said in his presser he thought he was the best pass rusher in the senior bowl, so take your picture and shove it dude.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I post 10,000 positive things, including a thread about Ballard, and you single me out about this sentence? He said in his presser he thought he was the best pass rusher in the senior bowl, so take your picture and shove it dude.

I'm just messin with you :poke:, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.  :hug:

Honestly, the 2nd round picks had me :scratch: a little bit.  But that's just because I don't know a lot about them.

So I'm gonna do some more research before assuming Ballard spent the whole 2nd round reaching like Stretch Armstrong.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm just messin with you :poke:, sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.  :hug:

Honestly, the 2nd round picks had me :scratch: a little bit.  But that's just because I don't know a lot about them.

So I'm gonna do some more research before assuming Ballard spent the whole 2nd round reaching like Stretch Armstrong.

giphy.gif

You're good. :) They looked like reaches originally to me, but Smith was the last starting G for Ballard, Leonard was his top LB there, and I'm guessing he loved the D-Line picks. Lewis was a value pick that he had to trade up for. Turay was the weird one, but we'll see. He probably has the highest ceiling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hope this isn't a knock on a forum member because their 73 reputation is lower than your 387 reputation.

I doubt you want those of us with higher reputations doing the same thing to you.

thumbs_up_waynes_world.gif

Nah.  Just that it seems some just come on when they have a fairly baseless and flaming negative comment.  Then,  fade away till next time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Nah.  Just that it seems some just come on when they have a fairly baseless and flaming negative comment.  Then,  fade away till next time.

Yeah, it happens during every major milestone throughout each season.  It can be annoying.

But it can also be amusing.  Some of these people...

"Oh what's that? You think everyone in the Colts organization should be fired?  And YOU should take over?  Tell me more..."

giphy.gif

The odds of any 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick playing any significant role, let alone even making the team, are pretty low.

To get an extra pick when a proven first round player with health issues in Hurst is on the board?

I don't get it.  If he gets well?  It's a huge steal.  If he doesn't? Then he is just like most other picks taken where he was.  Barely playing or cut.

Once again, Ballard goes conservative and goes for depth instead of actual starters.

How many sure fire starters can we say came from this draft?  2?   Nelson and the LB?

With THIS MANY selections in the early rounds.

Sorry, but imo he has totally blown this draft.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, threeflight said:

The odds of any 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick playing any significant role, let alone even making the team, are pretty low.

To get an extra pick when a proven first round player with health issues in Hurst is on the board?

I don't get it.  If he gets well?  It's a huge steal.  If he doesn't? Then he is just like most other picks taken where he was.  Barely playing or cut.

Once again, Ballard goes conservative and goes for depth instead of actual starters.

How many sure fire starters can we say came from this draft?  2?   Nelson and the LB?

To the bolded - re: Hurst.  Isn't painfully obvious they took him off the board altogether?  I understand the talent but do the risks really outweigh the reward?  Clearly they said no and the risk here is not just him not playing well but much, much worse - tragic even.

To the bolder - re: this draft being blown.  What if...

*  Nelson turns into a future Hall of Fame player?

*  Leonard turns out to be a quality starter for the next 7 or 8 years

*  They solidify a weak link and Braden Smith is another multi-year starter

*  And Turay develops into Robert Mathis light and Lewis helps make their d-line deep and formidable for the next 4 years?

A lot of ifs but there would not have been any less ifs on whoever you wanted them to take.  

And really, isn't it incomprehensibly stupid to declare the draft a bust before they have even played a game for the Colts?  Even declaring the 2018 draft a bust if we fast forward to this day in 2019 would be premature. 

A little-less chicken little nonsense would probably serve you well.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

I would not agree with your statement about the higher rounds.

64% of rosters are made up of 3rd- UDFA

19 hours ago, threeflight said:

I think its a square.  :)

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

How would you know how smart he is or what he thinks about his intelligence?

You seem to be a very uninformed casual fan, but I don't know for sure...