Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts declined trade overtures for QB Jacoby Brissett

superrep1967

. I'm not reading to much into this as others might. I feel Luck is going to be ready to go in week 1 IMHO. I just feel they're not trading him Brissett because he is there security blanket what does everyone else think. I mean teams have to have a good reliable back-up. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/03/26/colts-declined-trade-overtures-qb-jacoby-brissett/460611002/

Brissett is a great insurance policy and we just don't know what the trade offers were. If they were 5th rounders then heck no I wouldn't trade him. I do see him being traded eventually down the line as we see the mystique of guys like Brissett grow even as they are on the bench. The Browns almost traded a #2 for McCarron for gosh sakes. I don't think getting a #2 for Brissett maybe before his contract year is out of the realm of possibility. Right now though, no reason to trade him for any less than a premium.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Brissett is a great insurance policy and we just don't know what the trade offers were. If they were 5th rounders then heck no I wouldn't trade him. I do see him being traded eventually down the line as we see the mystique of guys like Brissett grow even as they are on the bench. The Browns almost traded a #2 for McCarron for gosh sakes. I don't think getting a #2 for Brissett maybe before his contract year is out of the realm of possibility. Right now though, no reason to trade him for any less than a premium.

I agree!

28 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Have to imagine trading him would hurt our market for trading down in the first. Don’t see why we’d do it unless it was a crazy offer 

Agree with this. Same line of thinking the Eagles have with Foles. Not letting him go unless it's an offer we can't refuse.

I actually have said this here before that I think we should trade Brisett now when he has value as long as we feel Luck is going to be ready.  I have always preferred a veteran backup if Luck is healthy and especially if we improve the OL which I clearly believe will happen this year.  If they really feel Luck is going to be fine the best time to do it would be now when his performance last year is fresh in everybody's mind.  The fact that a few offers have been made makes my point.  I originally thought Buffalo could have been one of the teams until they traded Tyrod and are now moving up. If their quest to move up blows up somehow he could still be an option for them.  I actually thought the Eagles would have been a team too if they traded Foles for some great picks and they acquire Brisett as their backup and give us their 1st actually sort of a 2nd.  Lots of possibilities.  Brisett is a proven young starter unlike some of these QB's that these teams are going to reach for.  If he doesn't play this year he value will decline from where it is now IMO. 

• Like 1

No way they should trade him.

Luck will be 18 months from game action and nobody knows if he will really be ready to go in Sept. 

Brisett may not be great, but he is better then many back up QBs.  

• Like 3

Yeah, I wouldn’t read too much into it. Ballard knows how important it is to have multiple QB’s and he isn’t going to move Jacoby for anything worse than a 2nd , imo. I don’t even think a 3rd would pry him away.

Jacoby is still a young guy ,has plenty of upside, and has shown he can play in the NFL, so I imagine there’s going to be suitors and offers down the road.

Right now, we essentially stole a young capable NFL QB and we’ll keep him while he’s cheap.

Best case scenario: He remains a cheap backup with upside and we eventually milk a good draft pick out of someone.

Worst case scenario: He remains a cheap option and is the best backup we’ve had in ages.

Brilliant trade by Ballard. 

I'd trade him for Buffalo's #22 IF we had a trade offer from either Miami or Arizona for Colts #6... Load up on a few more First Round and Second Round picks over the next two years.  -All contingent on Luck being healthy and Tolzien, with his catlike reflexes, being prepared...

A reminder...   the Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl with their back-up quarterback.    Something NO ONE predicted was even possible.

I'm not saying Brissett is as good as Nick Foles.  I'm only saying having a good back up is very important to any NFL team.    The Colts have a good  back up on a cheap rookie contract with two more years to go.    We need Brissett this year.   We can still trade him next year if we want.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

I'd trade him for Buffalo's #22 IF we had a trade offer from either Miami or Arizona for Colts #6... Load up on a few more First Round and Second Round picks over the next two years.  -All contingent on Luck being healthy and Tolzien, with his catlike reflexes, being prepared...

Philadelphia didn't get a single offer of a first round pick for Nick Foles.   If Foles doesn't get a one then neither is Jacoby Brissett.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Tolzien is a FA and doubt if he is brought back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I am not sold on Brissett, even as the backup.

13 TDs, 7 picks 60 % passing arriving just one week before the season starts. Exhibited an ability to command the huddle as a 2nd year player. 

Nothing to write home about. But he’s a backup for a reason. How many people are better?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I am not sold on Brissett, even as the backup.

Really??? The kid could start on at least 5 teams.   Not sure what you aren't sold about.   I'm not saying he can bring us a top pick,  but he is better than any backup in the manning era

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I actually have said this here before that I think we should trade Brisett now when he has value as long as we feel Luck is going to be ready.  I have always preferred a veteran backup if Luck is healthy and especially if we improve the OL which I clearly believe will happen this year.  If they really feel Luck is going to be fine the best time to do it would be now when his performance last year is fresh in everybody's mind.  The fact that a few offers have been made makes my point.  I originally thought Buffalo could have been one of the teams until they traded Tyrod and are now moving up. If their quest to move up blows up somehow he could still be an option for them.  I actually thought the Eagles would have been a team too if they traded Foles for some great picks and they acquire Brisett as their backup and give us their 1st actually sort of a 2nd.  Lots of possibilities.  Brisett is a proven young starter unlike some of these QB's that these teams are going to reach for.  If he doesn't play this year he value will decline from where it is now IMO. 

Best time is after the draft in the lead up to the season when teams go into panic mode ala Sam Bradford for a first round pick 

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Philadelphia didn't get a single offer of a first round pick for Nick Foles.   If Foles doesn't get a one then neither is Jacoby Brissett.

Was it Foles? Or was that Eagles team just the best in the league? 

Foles has a lot of tape out there and his stint with the Rams shows he may not be a great QB without a great team and coach  

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Really??? The kid could start on at least 5 teams.   Not sure what you aren't sold about.   I'm not saying he can bring us a top pick,  but he is better than any backup in the manning era

I just feel, if the team has to go with Brissett, we probably end up with another 3 or 4 win season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

. I'm not reading to much into this as others might. I feel Luck is going to be ready to go in week 1 IMHO. I just feel they're not trading him Brissett because he is there security blanket what does everyone else think. I mean teams have to have a good reliable back-up. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/03/26/colts-declined-trade-overtures-qb-jacoby-brissett/460611002/

I was glad to hear this...it suggests that other teams view Jacoby as valuable and it shows him that we have confidence in him if we need him.

Plus...I didn't want to trade him.. When you get a good, low-cost backup, you don't look to trade him until he's about to become a high-cost backup

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lesser of two evils... Either trade-up and give up a lot or try to try to grab an experienced QB for a first rounder. I agree probably won’t happen... Buffalo has to be concerned at this point.

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

Don't forget how good Brissett looked in the Pats system with all the short timing passes could turn to gold with a few great pre season games . 

I think we keep him but if he can perform some nice stats in the preseason and a teams QB goes down, you’re right, he could be a lottery ticket for the team. Will that be a first or a second rounder, I’m not sure but the trading team would have some control of him on a cheap contract. That factors into the draft pick given up. 

Of course its a new system getting installed so he has just as much of a chance to flop as he does to shine. All depends on what this team thinks of his capabilities in Indy. 

22 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Was it Foles? Or was that Eagles team just the best in the league? 

Foles has a lot of tape out there and his stint with the Rams shows he may not be a great QB without a great team and coach  

Doesn't matter which...

i think most anyone would agree that Foles is better tan Brissett.    So if Foles doesn't bring a number one,  than neither is Brissett.

I do not want to see him traded. If he was to receive a high third round offer, I would think about it, but still probably decline. 

Considering the comfort zone of our starting QB situation, Ballard would be out thinking himself by trading JB. Thankfully, he is not. 

7 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I wouldn't trade him! Irsay's has seen first hand now twice that not having a quality backup is not a recipe for success. If we were to trade him I would say only to NE for a 1st or 2nd rd pick and cancel it at the last second!!

I think we should keep Brissett until Luck is fine then ship him out. 

Plus we got Brad Kaaya now too

• Like 1