Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins Released

Case

21 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:
This is largely scheme based with the Colts moving to a Tampa-2 defense. Hankins had a solid first year in Indy, but didn't do much to improve their run defense. The Colts have one of the best cap situations in the league but save $8.5 million from his release. Hankins won't struggle to resurface as the top interior lineman available behind Ndamukong Suh. The Titans and Seahawks are possible landing spots..

??? Hankins was the 4th best graded interior lineman (3-4, 4-3 combined) against the run according to pff. Only Harrison, Suh and Kawaan Short were ahead of him.

His weakness was rushing the passer. (graded negatively).

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Keeping Chuck for an additional season was a complete waste of a season/offseason.  We threw away a lot of money signing the prototypes for Chuck's defense for one 4-12 campaign.

Yep. And you can blame Jimmy for that one.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

How would you feel if it's David Irving we are after? 

I thought about this last night, but was hesitant to give the #37 pick for him. 

Do you know which second round pick it would have to be, or could it be our choice of which to give up? 

17 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We couldn’t have traded him? 

We have Woods, and Grover to develop for our Heavy tackle play.
Hankins needs replaced by a player with more athleticism, one that can penetrate.
Our new # 49 pick is just about right for a couple of interesting prospects that should be sitting there. 

And maybe Ridgeway is ready for more snaps.

1 minute ago, Luckuania said:

Do you know which second round pick it would have to be, or could it be our choice of which to give up? 

I'm not certain about this but I would assume it would be our choice about which pick to put on the line. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm not certain about this but I would assume it would be our choice about which pick to put on the line. 

If that is the case I'd be all for getting Irving. He was one of the most disruptive D-linemen last year when he was able to play. He had 7 sacks in 8 games played. Plus he's got experience with Eberflus. 

40 minutes ago, Trueman said:

What are his other bone-headed moves? I need ammunition to freak out with.

Well unless he somehow gets like 12 more picks this draft he wont fill all the needs this team has you have like 70 million in cap space you have to use a certain percentage anyway so I don't get why hes not trying to fill some needs via free agency.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well unless he somehow gets like 12 more picks this draft he wont fill all the needs this team has you have like 70 million in cap space you have to use a certain percentage anyway so I don't get why hes not trying to fill some needs via free agency.

So often quoted, has so little impact on FA.... 

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why don’t you just wait to see how he “fills out the roster”?

You know, when you actually have some evidence.

13 minutes ago, Luckuania said:

That would a terrible move. 

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I said it yesterday and I will say it again.

It is like Ballard has no plan whatsoever.

He is just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Does that dart board have a picture of the Jets’ GM on it?

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

HE PLAYED FOR THE GIANTS THAT WAS A 4-3 DEFENSE :flaming:.. It like talking to a freaking Wall. "Maybe he would not translate well in a 4-3"

Form the Colts:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Releasing-Defensive-Lineman-Johnathan-Hankins/103066e2-c655-4260-9646-f38d5054ac95

His release had to do with not being a scheme fit.

29 minutes ago, #12. said:

Keeping Chuck for an additional season was a complete waste of a season/offseason.  We threw away a lot of money signing the prototypes for Chuck's defense for one 4-12 campaign.

Disagree, NO Luck & that’s exactly what this team needed which is the 3rd overall pick.  What would 8-8 have gotten us in 2017?  CB is setting this team up for many future runs at a title.  

Releasing Hankins just shored up 8 + Million dollars w/ no cap hit.  SMART move considering his production now we must wait for the counter move!

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Then whats the reason then, because after reading that article and seeing, "So, he can test the free market." Is one of the dumbest things i have ever read.

9 minutes ago, MTC said:

Unless Hankins requested his release, this move makes zero sense whatsoever. A real head-scratcher. 

Hankins played the 4-3 at Ohio State and with the Giants. Not a scheme issue.

According to Colts.com it was due to scheme.

3 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

This is what happens when you stock up with "after thought" free agents. Last year we got about 6 of them, maybe 1 is worth the spot. I'd rather over spend and get an impact player or two than get 5 or 6 back up type players.

Signing expensive impact players is kind of a waste if you don't have a core of difference makers already in place.

Here's a novel idea..Hankins is young..and good. How about trading him for a player that would fill one of our many positions of need instead of just cutting him and creating another position of need. Someone Tell CB that the idea behind free agency is to improve your team..not have the most unspent money at the end.

13 minutes ago, MTC said:

Unless Hankins requested his release, this move makes zero sense whatsoever. A real head-scratcher. 

Hankins played the 4-3 at Ohio State and with the Giants. Not a scheme issue.

Think he was in a 34 at osu.  And believe he was in a 34 until the Giants brought spagnola back.

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

According to Colts.com it was due to scheme.

That's another way of saying that Anderson, Ridgeway, and Woods and maybe Stewart are capable of doing what the Colts were going to ask Hankins to do.

We have an abundance of slow heavy DTs and not enough quick UTs.