Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts New Offensive Approach

Pelt

From the press conference earlier today:

Reich's offensive ideals: "Multiple, attacking, uptempo offense. We will be aggressive. We will be multiple (in terms of) personnel groupings.... A strong element of no huddle."

Just wondering which of the Colts offensive players will survive to the next "up tempo" scheme that is about to be emplemented as opposed to the clunky Chud stuff they had been running.

I'm particularly pleased to see his comment about the no-huddle.

Reich also said that he's calling the plays.

I'm wondering if Gore will come back as well as someone like Moncrief.

It also makes me wonder if the scales have been slightly tipped in favor of Barkley at all - should we stand pat at #3 in the draft.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Reich could have blown a fart into the mic and people would wonder if that tipped the scales in favor of Barkley.

Personally I'd like to see them trade back for additional picks and somehow still nab Nelson in all of that. 

Barkley is the best player in the draft, and would be a tremendous asset in taking pressure off of Luck.  I don’t think too many would dispute that statement.  He’s perfect for the type of offense we want to run, great pass protector, receiver, as well as runner.

All that being said, the smart thing to do is to move back a few picks if we can, and get an extra 2.  Chubb would still be there at say 5 or 6, Guice is a great choice who can alternate with Mack, and someone like Orlando Brown could be a good RT.

Howevah...if we do none of that smart stuff, and take Barkley at 3, I sure won’t be upset.  

Mack could be a great weapon in this style if his blocking improves and he get a little better between the tackles. Ty gonna be Ty. Moncreif has always bin injured and left alot to be desired. Doyle gonna be Doyle. I really want to see Rogers healthy for 16 with luck 

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Reich could have blown a fart into the mic and people would wonder if that tipped the scales in favor of Barkley.

I think that would have raised some eyebrows.   Especially from the AV department at colts complex 

"Hey coach,   go ahead and keep that mic"

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We had better move the chains if we go no huddle.

Nothing kills a team's defense quicker than 3 n outs

in a no huddle.

I think it was key that he also mentioned sometimes you have to slow it down.  His philosophy seems very Dungy like.  Get a lead keep the foot on the pedal and unleash the defense (hopefully Chubb!)

Moncreif has shown, despite his physical talent, he's not one you can depend on. But I think some team will give him multi year deal. If for some reason the Colts do bring him back, they should still get a big #1a or #2 wr to help and compliment TY. 

Moncreif should not be brought back as a #2, he's unreliable. 

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Moncreif has shown, despite his physical talent, he's not one you can depend on. But I think some team will give him multi year deal. If for some reason the Colts do bring him back, they should still get a big #1a or #2 wr to help and compliment TY. 

Moncreif should not be brought back as a #2, he's unreliable. 

The key to Moncrief is his health. He is very productive when he is on the field. He has only started 25 games over the last three seasons. Most seem to forget he is just a 3rd round pick. If he can stay healthy he would be just fine.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The key to Moncrief is his health. He is very productive when he is on the field. He has only started 25 games over the last three seasons. Most seem to forget he is just a 3rd round pick. If he can stay healthy he would be just fine.

I'd like him coming back BUT not as our #2.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'd like him coming back BUT not as our #2.

Well it would be nice to have an offense that don't have a specific #1 to a #4 receiver. Just utilize the receiver who get open like Manning used to do. Nobody had a clue from week to week on what receiver or TE would end up with the numbers.

I'm down for the no huddle, and Luck can thrive in such a system, but I will say this. The no huddle is pretty taxing on Olinemen. Especially on longer drives deep into games. We saw that a lot in 2016 (specifically in a week 11 24-17 win against the Titans). I believe the colts were going up tempo much of the first half in that game, and Luck torched Tennesse to a 21-0 lead. But down the stretch the Oline started getting tired, Luck started taking hits and the titans clawed their way back into the game. The up tempo has its pros and cons. Blocking schemes gonna be important for it. Let's see how Reich draws em up.

16 hours ago, Pelt said:

It also makes me wonder if the scales have been slightly tipped in favor of Barkley at all - should we stand pat at #3 in the draft.

Well, Reich just won a Superbowl with a 5th round draft pick and two UDFA as the top 3 backs.  He may not think it's worth spending a high round draft pick on a RB.

That is with a DC that runs a 4-3, it seems that the scales have tipped heavily (so heavily that I don't think Barkley is even in the conversation anymore) towards Chubb.

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

If we're going to surround Luck with talent like it's been said, then it makes no sense going defense. Time to go back to the Polian days and stock up on offense. It's what kept us consistently in the playoffs.

Yep, with one whole super bowl win to show for the powerhouse offense. Oh, by the way the one super bowl came when the defense stepped up.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, Reich just won a Superbowl with a 5th round draft pick and two UDFA as the top 3 backs.  He may not think it's worth spending a high round draft pick on a RB.

That is with a DC that runs a 4-3, it seems that the scales have tipped heavily (so heavily that I don't think Barkley is even in the conversation anymore) towards Chubb.

Good point. 

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

If we're going to surround Luck with talent like it's been said, then it makes no sense going defense. Time to go back to the Polian days and stock up on offense. It's what kept us consistently in the playoffs.

Just because the Colts are going back to systems similar to what they ran in the previous era does not mean they don’t need to bring in quality defensive players.

Changing their defensive system will change the traits they look at, it should allow young players to contribute quicker, but it does not diminish the need for talented defensive players.

When it comes to the draft...when you are picking third overall you are almost always looking at players who can play in any system. I have no doubt the Colts will take BPA regardless of almost any position.

This team has areas throughout the roster they need to improve. The systems they run offensively and defensively will not make these areas less of a priority to improve.

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I respectfully disagree.  Only 1 title during Manning's tenure in Indy

during his best years vs his flailing last few with Denver netted the 

same amount of titles with a dominant defense.

21 hours ago, Pelt said:

Reich's offensive ideals: "Multiple, attacking, uptempo offense. We will be aggressive. We will be multiple (in terms of) personnel groupings.... A strong element of no huddle."

Just wondering which of the Colts offensive players will survive to the next "up tempo" scheme that is about to be emplemented as opposed to the clunky Chud stuff they had been running.

If by uptempo he means basically a 2 minute offense the whole game, that is when Luck shines the most. I had noticed before he thrives in that fast paced offense and we should stick to it. 

19 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think Moncrief comes back on a one year prove it deal.  I think he would be good in that offense.  Gore is gone.  With how much they had to run him in and out to keep him available last year he can’t be in an uptempo offense I don’t think.

You don't really think that the best deal Moncreif will get is a one yr prove it deal from the Colts do you?

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

If by uptempo he means basically a 2 minute offense the whole game, that is when Luck shines the most. I had noticed before he thrives in that fast paced offense and we should stick to it. 

No huddle and hurry up don't necessarily mean we will turn into Chip Kelly's style of offense.   IMO it will look more like the Manning offense where Luck will get people to the line and then call the play.  But then again I don't think you wear lineman out in their stance burning up a play clock    

I would also also like to say my opinion is that Frank will incorporate A lot of deep ball routes that will look like the run and shoot where receivers read their coverage and find and opening

one key to this offense is a great TE he needs to be fast catch well and block well.  

All this of course is my opinion from reading quite about Frank hoping he would be the choice way before he was the popular choice 

BTW the K Gun offense was not named after Jim Kelly it was named after their TE Keith McKeller who was essential to the success of the KGun because he could both block and catch and didn't need to be subbed for in and out depending on the play call or situation because he excelled in both 

most of this was not  not addressed to you  Just more convienient that multiple posts 

If they’re going uptempo, that’s going to put pressure on having quick athletic lineman, and ones who can get to the 2nd level quick in the run game. That means that we might look at a guard like Billy Price instead of a guy like Will Hernandez.

I also think he’ll require a top not slot guy who can get open quick within 10 yards so the ball can come out. Hilton is good here but we need someone who can do it full time as Hilton is still a burner down field. A true possession receiver. Maybe Michael Gallup or Landry in FA.

57 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

There certainly are a lot of posters mentioning Luck. Understandable.

Not a single mention of our current starting, healthy qb Brissett. Shouldnt we be planning our offseason around the person who we know can play for us? What does he need to be successful? Another offense to learn might be difficult for him. 

Brissett is not a starting QB. 

He got us thru the season, but I would expect the same if he starts again. If Luck can't go, I can assure you another option would be brought in.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

You don't really think that the best deal Moncreif will get is a one yr prove it deal from the Colts do you?

I'd be fine if they let him walk. He took plays off and at times seemed to take entire games off - when he was out there. 

And he is still catching the ball with his body instead of his hands, which was a knock on him coming out of college.

12 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I'd be fine if they let him walk. He took plays off and at times seemed to take entire games off - when he was out there. 

And he is still catching the ball with his body instead of his hands, which was a knock on him coming out of college.

Again.  I disagree but we shall see

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is a solid point. Add in the fact that Ballard has demonstrated he can find quality RBs later in the draft and I think we target Chubb all the way. 

Even though I still don’t expect him to be there at 3. 

On 2/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, Pelt said:

I'm a big fan of Frank Gore. But we need to get younger there so I say no to bringing Gore back.