Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts New Offensive Approach

Pelt

13 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is a solid point. Add in the fact that Ballard has demonstrated he can find quality RBs later in the draft and I think we target Chubb all the way. 

Even though I still don’t expect him to be there at 3. 

I don't either. I think there is a strong possibility that, if he tests well at that combine, Cleveland takes Chubb at #1.  Then they may even try to work a trade with the Colts to exchange their #1 and maybe a 3 and 6 for the Colts #1 and then get their QB.  Or they may think they have their QB and settle for Chubb at #1 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, dodsworth said:

We had better move the chains if we go no huddle.

Nothing kills a team's defense quicker than 3 n outs

in a no huddle.

I like how Denver (Peyton) and NE (Tom)  run the no huddle. Basically if they move the chains or the get a chunk play then they start running a no huddle to keep the defense on the field. But until you get that first 1st down you run your normal huddle and communicate and use a little clock. I agree if your not moving the ball though that will kill your defense. I think coaches have a pretty good feel for it...I think Luck actually plays better up tempo anyways so I think it will work nicely. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't either. I think there is a strong possibility that, if he tests well at that combine, Cleveland takes Chubb at #1.  Then they may even try to work a trade with the Colts to exchange their #1 and maybe a 3 and 6 for the Colts #1 and then get their QB.  Or they may think they have their QB and settle for Chubb at #1 

I think there is a strong possibility that if Chubb tests well that NY might take him...especially if Cleveland lands Cousins and take Barkley. I honestly think NY is going to stick with Manning and pass on a qb.....so Barkley or Chubb I think could be high on their list. Cleveland will depend on if they land Cousins or not...to me they are going qb first if they don't get him. So much could happen but if we sit tight we may have a bunch of people calling on one of the top qbs or we may have Chubb or Barkley sitting there. I'm sure Ballard is ready for all alternatives.

17 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

They won’t need to work a deal for our pick. Sitting at #4 they can pick two QB’s they would be ok drafting and still land one of them. 

It gets even muddier if the Giants go out and get a QB in free agency and aren’t looking to draft one, which I believe is another strong possibility. 

The QB market has absolutely flooded this year. Cousins is hitting the market, the Browns would be fools not to chase him harder than anyone. None of the QBs in this class are head and shoulders better than the others. I also don’t think any of them will be any better than Cousins. Take the guesswork out of “will it work or not” and sign Cousins. And Cousins should be looking at the Browns as a top destination. All the picks they have amassed should make them really good in the coming years. 

Yet another wild card hit the table yesterday: AJ McCarron. He won his grievance and he’ll be UFA. The Browns tried to trade for him just a couple short months ago, now they can land him without having to spend a pick. McCarron and Jackson have worked together, so anyone surprised if the Browns give him a big deal is only fooling themselves. 

I think the Browns would be downright foolish to look at any of these QBs at #1. Even if they are scorched earth hellbent on drafting one of the top 4 QBs they would be foolish to do so at 1. Take Chubb at 1, pairing him with Garrett gives them an instant recipe for a great defense, and get one of the QBs at 4. If they draft a QB at 1, there’s no player at 4 who could have near the impact on their club that Chubb could. But if they draft a QB at 4 they’re not missing out on anything truly special if the Giants take one before them. 

They also probably wont get a great deal to trade #4 (nor will we for #3) because there really is no reason for a QB needy team to do something stupid and jump up, so taking a QB and then trading the pick really isn’t a viable option.

This is a really unique league year we’re heading into. 

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think there is a strong possibility that if Chubb tests well that NY might take him...especially if Cleveland lands Cousins and take Barkley. I honestly think NY is going to stick with Manning and pass on a qb.....so Barkley or Chubb I think could be high on their list. Cleveland will depend on if they land Cousins or not...to me they are going qb first if they don't get him. So much could happen but if we sit tight we may have a bunch of people calling on one of the top qbs or we may have Chubb or Barkley sitting there. I'm sure Ballard is ready for all alternatives.

See my post above. 

None of these QBs are a can’t miss prospect, honestly. And none of them are inarguably better than the others. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants pass on QBs and stick with Eli for a while longer, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a QB and try to move Eli. 

If Barkley/Chubb go 1-2, it makes our #3 a lot less valuable. If the Browns sign Cousins or McCarron it makes it even less valuable. The only team who would then have a pressing need to move up would be would be the Cards, and if we get through the first 4 picks without a QB coming off the board I’m guessing they will try to trade up only to the Bucs pick. And if the Jets or Broncos go out and sign a QB in FA it only makes 3 even worse. 

There’s just too much of a buyers market for QBs right now. 

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I like how Denver (Peyton) and NE (Tom)  run the no huddle. Basically if they move the chains or the get a chunk play then they start running a no huddle to keep the defense on the field. But until you get that first 1st down you run your normal huddle and communicate and use a little clock. I agree if your not moving the ball though that will kill your defense. I think coaches have a pretty good feel for it...I think Luck actually plays better up tempo anyways so I think it will work nicely. 

I think our coaches will see that because Reich goes back to a time when we were effective up-tempo.

He doesnt have to imagine that working..

..and you're right...up-tempo doesnt mean every series...or every down

We will always be an offense-flavored team playing indoors and in a warm weather division.

..by the way..so will Houston now

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

See my post above. 

None of these QBs are a can’t miss prospect, honestly. And none of them are inarguably better than the others. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants pass on QBs and stick with Eli for a while longer, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a QB and try to move Eli. 

If Barkley/Chubb go 1-2, it makes our #3 a lot less valuable. If the Browns sign Cousins or McCarron it makes it even less valuable. The only team who would then have a pressing need to move up would be would be the Cards, and if we get through the first 4 picks without a QB coming off the board I’m guessing they will try to trade up only to the Bucs pick. And if the Jets or Broncos go out and sign a QB in FA it only makes 3 even worse. 

There’s just too much of a buyers market for QBs right now. 

Yep.....I'm not getting too worried...the draft is pretty far off. Let's see how the guys test at the combine...lets see where the qb carousel ends up. Until then projecting stuff is just nuts. The whole draft turns on its head if Cleveland lands Cousins...obviously Denver or NY won't be moving up if they do. Personally I think with McCarron now a free agent Cleveland will make a strong bid for him if they can't get Cousins. They would have McCarron to start right away and then could work on someone like Allen or Barkley who aren't quite day 1 ready. Just too many ifs to say what will happen. Barkley/Chubb could be gone...could still be there...could be no one wanting to trade up...Ballard will work on all scenerios. I think if Chubb/Barkley are not an option for us to pick...or won't be there if we trade back then Nelson, Davenport, Edmunds are that next tier of players we look at. A lot to happen from now and then.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, Pelt said:

I'd be fine if they let him walk. He took plays off and at times seemed to take entire games off - when he was out there. 

And he is still catching the ball with his body instead of his hands, which was a knock on him coming out of college.

After watching a lot of tape I don't see him taking games off. What I have seen is him not being utilized. Most of the QBs over the last couple of seasons have been forcing the ball to Doyle and TY because of the lack of time in the pocket. Moncrief's position requires the QB to have time for progressions. That is something we have lacked for quite a while now. Pointing a finger at Moncrief and blaming him for bad play is not seeing what's going on on the field. When Luck was playing well he was the go to receiver in the red zone. He still has the talent so he needs to be re signed. He will not be expensive.

A great breakdown of the decision to hire Frank Reich and other tidbits of other Colts hires.  (this was very insightful considering it was taped before Reich had his press conference).  A perspective well outside of the corn-belt.  Of particular note, listen to them talk about whether Frank will call his own plays or not, which is germane to the OP's post.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:15 AM, John Waylon said:

They won’t need to work a deal for our pick. Sitting at #4 they can pick two QB’s they would be ok drafting and still land one of them. 

It gets even muddier if the Giants go out and get a QB in free agency and aren’t looking to draft one, which I believe is another strong possibility. 

The QB market has absolutely flooded this year. Cousins is hitting the market, the Browns would be fools not to chase him harder than anyone. None of the QBs in this class are head and shoulders better than the others. I also don’t think any of them will be any better than Cousins. Take the guesswork out of “will it work or not” and sign Cousins. And Cousins should be looking at the Browns as a top destination. All the picks they have amassed should make them really good in the coming years. 

Yet another wild card hit the table yesterday: AJ McCarron. He won his grievance and he’ll be UFA. The Browns tried to trade for him just a couple short months ago, now they can land him without having to spend a pick. McCarron and Jackson have worked together, so anyone surprised if the Browns give him a big deal is only fooling themselves. 

I think the Browns would be downright foolish to look at any of these QBs at #1. Even if they are scorched earth hellbent on drafting one of the top 4 QBs they would be foolish to do so at 1. Take Chubb at 1, pairing him with Garrett gives them an instant recipe for a great defense, and get one of the QBs at 4. If they draft a QB at 1, there’s no player at 4 who could have near the impact on their club that Chubb could. But if they draft a QB at 4 they’re not missing out on anything truly special if the Giants take one before them. 

They also probably wont get a great deal to trade #4 (nor will we for #3) because there really is no reason for a QB needy team to do something stupid and jump up, so taking a QB and then trading the pick really isn’t a viable option.

This is a really unique league year we’re heading into. 

Excellent post.  I do, though, disagree with the statement about their not being a big difference between the top QBs.  I think there is a big difference between the top two and then the next three.  that is why I think, if Cleveland wants to draft a QB and they don't do it with their first pick, the Colts will be shielding offers from a few teams, including Cleveland to move to the #3 spot to grab one of the top 2 QBs.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, NorthernBlue said:

I'm down for the no huddle, and Luck can thrive in such a system, but I will say this. The no huddle is pretty taxing on Olinemen. Especially on longer drives deep into games. We saw that a lot in 2016 (specifically in a week 11 24-17 win against the Titans). I believe the colts were going up tempo much of the first half in that game, and Luck torched Tennesse to a 21-0 lead. But down the stretch the Oline started getting tired, Luck started taking hits and the titans clawed their way back into the game. The up tempo has its pros and cons. Blocking schemes gonna be important for it. Let's see how Reich draws em up.

Was sitting in row 15 for that game we took our foot off the gas and tried to force the run way to early once we went up 3 scores real quick .