Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can a healthy Luck do in Reichs offense?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the pick plays back, I want the RBs, TEs, WRs stress all levels of the D, and most importantly I want QB development with accuracy and protection calls getting better.

As a team, I want sound fundamentals displayed with few penalties and the ability to play 60 minutes with whoever the best team is in the league any given year. 

Luck will do nothing if we can't protect him! This is absolutely crucial this year. We have to improve the Offensive Line and while others are talking if we should draft Chubb or Barkley I hope they trade back an get Quenton Nelson and ad a veteran like Norwell in free agency. Luck is the guy that win us the games, can't afford to lose him again because of failed protection. If we can manage to improve the OL I think Reich is a perfect fit for Andrew and after the shake of some rust he will be great again!

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

I want the pick plays pick, I want the RBs, TEs, WRs stress all levels of the D, and most importantly I want QB development with accuracy and protection calls getting better.

As a team, I want sound fundamentals displayed with few penalties and the ability to play 60 minutes with whoever the best team is in the league any given year. 

The colts ran pick plays. Unfortunately, they usually set the pick on each other.

14 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

What do you like the most about it? 

I also hope they sprinkle in a little read option like kc does with Smith. Not a lot.. Certainly don't want the offense built around it, but used sparingly can be very effective. Also hoping for more bootlegs and better executed screens

16 minutes ago, J@son said:

I also hope they sprinkle in a little read option like kc does with Smith. Not a lot.. Certainly don't want the offense built around it, but used sparingly can be very effective. Also hoping for more bootlegs and better executed screens

Screen plays? What are those?

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I want the pick plays back, I want the RBs, TEs, WRs stress all levels of the D, and most importantly I want QB development with accuracy and protection calls getting better.

This is more broad than the Pubg maps

Our receivers also looked confused running pick plays, like which one goes underneath and so forth. 

Reich has worked with some quality quarterbacks.  From Peyton Manning to Phillip Rivers, Carson Wentz, etc.  He was instrumental in getting Nick Foles ready to go after Wentz went down and ultimately defeating Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.  I think if Andrew Luck is healthy then Reich will help him become more consistently excellent...smarter play, reduced turnovers and more efficiency is what I would like to see.  The first year may be an adjustment period but over time I think Luck can take the next step in becoming elite...if healthy.

1 hour ago, austriancolt said:

Luck will do nothing if we can't protect him! This is absolutely crucial this year. We have to improve the Offensive Line and while others are talking if we should draft Chubb or Barkley I hope they trade back an get Quenton Nelson and ad a veteran like Norwell in free agency. Luck is the guy that win us the games, can't afford to lose him again because of failed protection. If we can manage to improve the OL I think Reich is a perfect fit for Andrew and after the shake of some rust he will be great again!

Scheme and play calling can have a big effect, perhaps as big as the actual linemen in protection. 

5 hours ago, J@son said:

Lot of running the ball, it's primarily a WC system, getting the ball out quickly, better levels concepts than we've seen here with Luck, more RPO etc

He's worked with so many different offensive guys who run so many different things. I'm not sure what he will call his offense, but it might be a true blend of multiple concepts. Coryell, west coast, and EP.

I've been looking everywhere to hear one of the Eagles play calls, because I'm curious about the terminology. But whatever it is, they work a lot of uptempo and no huddle stuff, so terminology must not be a hindrance. They even ran a bunch with their backups. 

5 hours ago, J@son said:

Lot of running the ball, it's primarily a WC system, getting the ball out quickly, better levels concepts than we've seen here with Luck, more RPO etc

All of that is true, and they were ultra-aggressive... in the right spots.  A pretty damn good blend of everything.

RPO..Add Norwell and Barkley, and another legit WR...Watch out..Reich also cut his teeth on the k-gun in Buffalo which is a hurry up , no huddle, up tempo, shotgun formation mainly system which I wish we would run more of, and Luck excels in when we do...It should be a good mix..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

RPO..Add Norwell and Barkley, and another legit WR...Watch out..Reich also cut his teeth on the k-gun in Buffalo which is a hurry up , no huddle, up tempo, shotgun formation mainly system which I wish we would run more of, and Luck excels in when we do...It should be a good mix..

That K Gun was an explosive offense. I used to be a die hard Bills fan during that era. I knew every players name on the team. Even the backups. If we got Barkley I will say hes got the same type of talents Thurman Thomas had. Could be a strong multi purpose guy.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think Luck is done. Don't you find it disturbing that Luck hasn't thrown a football since they shut him down...4 months ago?? Better work out a trade for Foles....

Nah, if Luck is done we will have to use the #3 pick on a QB who carries a rookie salary.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

He's worked with so many different offensive guys who run so many different things. I'm not sure what he will call his offense, but it might be a true blend of multiple concepts. Coryell, west coast, and EP.

I've been looking everywhere to hear one of the Eagles play calls, because I'm curious about the terminology. But whatever it is, they work a lot of uptempo and no huddle stuff, so terminology must not be a hindrance. They even ran a bunch with their backups. 

I hope we run a lot of the uptempo and no huddle stuff with Reichs Offense with luck, I felt that when luck has played some of his best football and wanted to see more of it from the start of games just not when we are behind trying to catch up.

12 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Play action helps this. The Eagles did a lot of play action plays to keep

defenses honest. This was something missing during the Pagano era.

I would assume because it would be ineffective with no defenders "frozen" on the threat of a run.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Was looking in this thread for your post to gain an insight and came to the same conclusions. There isn't a whole lot out there. What was he running in San Diego?

22 minutes ago, GoDeep said:

I would assume because it would be ineffective with no defenders "frozen" on the threat of a run.

Even with a lousy run game, the defense has to eyeball if the runner has the ball or not.

Every split second counts when it comes to an open receiver and one that is covered up.

Luck and Brissett are mobile QBs. Now, don't freak out but Manziel, yes Manziel is looking to get back in and it "appears" he has straightened his life out. So why not give him a tryout for the #3 spot and dump Tozien? Keep in mind if Luck can't go then it is Brissetts team and he got hammered last season so how long will he be healthy? Would you want Tolzien or Manziel to throw/run the ball? Before you launch your attacks I am not a Manziel fan but Tolzien is a wuss ball.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Luck and Brissett are mobile QBs. Now, don't freak out but Manziel, yes Manziel is looking to get back in and it "appears" he has straightened his life out. So why not give him a tryout for the #3 spot and dump Tozien? Keep in mind if Luck can't go then it is Brissetts team and he got hammered last season so how long will he be healthy? Would you want Tolzien or Manziel to throw/run the ball? Before you launch your attacks I am not a Manziel fan but Tolzien is a wuss ball.

No team is going to sign a back up with that much baggage.   Hard pass 

3 hours ago, GoDeep said:

Pretty much every QB has better efficiency numbers on play action passes -- completion percentage, yards/attempt, passer rating, etc. With or without a good run game. In 2013 and 2014, under Pep Hamilton, with Trent Richardson as one of the primary backs and an awful OL, Luck was considerably better on play action passes. We just didn't run play action nearly enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing certain games with 50% or more of our passes coming on play action. Doesn't have to be elaborate, drawn out play fakes, you don't have to take a deep shot every time. Just slow the linebackers by a split second, and the advantage goes to the offense in a number of ways.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

Was looking in this thread for your post to gain an insight and came to the same conclusions. There isn't a whole lot out there. What was he running in San Diego?

They ran a somewhat hybrid version of Erhardt-Perkins in San Diego. Mike McCoy came up through the Panthers organization in the early 2000s, and they morphed from a WCO to an Air Coryell to an EP as different coordinators came through, but McCoy was an assistant, WR coach, QB coach, and eventual passing game coordinator, before leaving to become JM's OC in Denver, where they ran EP. He continued as OC in Denver, where they ran multiple offenses for multiple QBs -- Orton, Tebow, and Manning. In 2013, McCoy took all of that with him from Denver, and hired Whisenhunt as OC and Reich as QB coach. Reich had been Whisenhunt's WR coach in Arizona in 2012.

They installed their EP in San Diego, but Rivers had mostly been in a Coryell offense with Norv Turner, so I'm sure there was a meshing of the two. When Whisenhunt left in 2014, Reich took over as OC, and continued running EP, which is essentially what the Colts ran when he was in Indy for four years, with lots of Coryell elements.

Reich went to Philly with Pederson as the OC, where they run a WCO. To my understanding, that's the first time Reich worked on a staff that ran WCO.

In Peter King's column today, they spell out at least one of the Eagles play calls: "Gun trey left, open buster star motion … 383 X follow Y slant." True WCO terminology, but they had code words (eg "Philly special"), and Foles used a wristband that allowed Pederson to call plays out as "Wristband 145," and so on. Not sure how Foles or any other Philly QB called plays in the huddle, but most likely with the WCO terminology. Their audibles and no-huddle calls most likely used code words.

I don't know what kind of terminology Reich will install, but I bet his playbook will have some of everything in it.