Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

Remember,  practically every New England assistant has been a failure.  McDaniels himself was an abject failure in his last stop.  Chances are very good they did us a favor.

After this stunt, if Patricia fails in Detroit, no one associated with Belichick will ever get another job.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reidm said:

We went from getting the best HC candidate 

I never felt he was the best HC candidate.  I had severe reservations about him being head coaching material, but believed pairing his offense with Luck would probably be enough to make us competitive.  

Just something to consider - TWO GMs who have worked with McDaniels for 15 years(Bob Quinn in Detroit and Jon Robinson in  Tennessee) didn't even request an interview with him. At the time, I noticed the first one, there was a reasonable explanation(Stafford liking his OC and them concentrating on defensive coaches). Then the Titans were supposed to go after him when they fired Mularkey, but they didn't even try. Did they know something? Be it that McDaniels is really not going to leave NE or that he's a * undeserving of this responsibility?  

Wow......

Woke up this morning to a phone full of notifications and a swimming head!

Have read through the comments on here (while skipping most of those involving @BlueShoe) here is my opinion......

We have been ditched at the alter, and it hurts, because its fresh and we had so much hope.  We are also embarrassed by the fact everyone knows its what we wanted and we have been ditched.  However, when it turns out your bride-to-be is a callous, black-hearted scumbag who never really loved you and is willing to show you this much disrespect, you have to dust yourself off, stand up tall, and move on knowing you are in a better place than if those vows were exchanged.

I do not blame on Ballard for this.  He went into negotiations with good faith, and took a man at his word that he had built a relationship with over the past year.  We obviously don't know the full details of conversations but I do not believe the Colts would have gone to the stage of announcing terms were agreed and setting up a press conference if there was *any* doubt in their mind about this. 

My main takeaways from this are:

1. My hatred for New England has been fully restored

2. The next HC has a great opportunity.  Use the McDaniels snub to motivate the players and coaches!  "He thinks he is better than us, lets show the world who we are and why he made the biggest mistake of his life not joining this franchise"

2 hours ago, Andrew86 said:

Who do you think those potential coaches are, please give me a name I can feel even slightly optimistic about.  I can't think of any which is why I am upset, why I am disappointed.  All the most likely candidates simply make me want to give up on Colts football for a while.

Peyton Manning?

Can you imagine being those 3 coaches at W. 56th street, and having to hear over the internet the hired head coach is no more.  Disbelief, shock, dismay, to anger to &*#@!#*$@&^$*@&&#!)@^  in about 5 minutes.  I thought my browser was sitting on a cached page of a day or two ago of the purported story of McDaniels possibly not coming and that I was not seeing things correctly and this could not be because we HIRED the guy & press conf. Wed.  I did an immediate refresh and was still in disbelief but then went to COLTS.COM to get the punch in the gut.

All I know is things just for much much murkier for the Colts. 

But IF AND I MEAN A BIG IF, we can find a decent HC and get Luck back, and somehow we come out of this thing with a winning future , then the next Coach may be a legend in himself

3 hours ago, TimFlo said:

Any billboards near the stadium available?    Enough time to set one up for a friendly combine welcome!  :-D

I was thinking get the Governor and the Chamber of Commerence to agree not to rent rooms in any hotel, not serve food not to allow anywhere in the state the New England staffers

Better to find out a man has no character and is not a leader before you hire him, than to suffer from him after he is hired. 

Obvious McDaniels has NO leadership qualities and needs the cover of Belichick and Brady in order to feel successful. Was a disaster as Broncos HC, was a mess as Rams OC. Was initially skeptical about him, then a little excited, now convinced this is the best thing for the Colts. Willie McGinest can crow all he wants to about how great McDaniels is, but I would touch him as a leader for a puppy parade. He would have flamed out in a year or two and we would be starting all over again. Bring on Frank Reich!

59 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Wow......

Woke up this morning to a phone full of notifications and a swimming head!

Have read through the comments on here (while skipping most of those involving @BlueShoe) here is my opinion......

We have been ditched at the alter, and it hurts, because its fresh and we had so much hope.  We are also embarrassed by the fact everyone knows its what we wanted and we have been ditched.  However, when it turns out your bride-to-be is a callous, black-hearted scumbag who never really loved you and is willing to show you this much disrespect, you have to dust yourself off, stand up tall, and move on knowing you are in a better place than if those vows were exchanged.

I do not blame on Ballard for this.  He went into negotiations with good faith, and took a man at his word that he had built a relationship with over the past year.  We obviously don't know the full details of conversations but I do not believe the Colts would have gone to the stage of announcing terms were agreed and setting up a press conference if there was *any* doubt in their mind about this. 

My main takeaways from this are:

1. My hatred for New England has been fully restored

2. The next HC has a great opportunity.  Use the McDaniels snub to motivate the players and coaches!  "He thinks he is better than us, lets show the world who we are and why he made the biggest mistake of his life not joining this franchise"

For those of us who never believed McDaniels changed just because he gave a good interview a while a go, this cluster is 100% on Ballard.

Even if it wasn't Josh, you run the risk of this happening when you wait for a superbowl team to finish its season.  Can't blame a GM directly, but the risk has to be accounted for.

Then combine that risk with the candidate having a personality like McDaniels and Ballard is definitely to blame.

At the very least, he is to blame for allowing the team to be dependent upon trusting McDaniels. 

Well if this was planned and orchestrated all along, like it appears to have been,   it makes them losing the SB all the sweeter.

Cannot wait  to watch that organization implode.  That day can't get here soon enough.  

I was pretty angry when I first heard the news...actually just couldn't believe it.  I went from being elated about the hire, to absolutely hating the guy!  Good riddence.  What goes around comes around!

Of all the franchises in the NFL, the Pats are the one team you'd expect to do something like this.  The Browns, the Redskins, the Jets, for all the terrible football decisions they make, you still wouldn't expect them to do something like this.  You can at least respect them and their word.  New England, not so much.  I tried getting over my hatred of them and respecting their accomplishments, but I can't do that after this.  No class, no integrity.  Just a bunch of arrogant, classless cheaters.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m still on the Matt Rhule bus...just saying. I like the guy a lot.

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I like Rhule, and he's got his work cut out for him in Baylor, but how are you supposed to sell your fanbase from 'the top coaching candidate in the cycle' to someone whose coming off a 1-11 season?

If Rhule left Baylor for the Colts now, he would be doing exactly what McDaniels did. Do you really want to hire someone who committed to one job and backed out? He would never be trusted. 

McDaniels is a real jerk and really screwed the team over. But I think he did the Colts a favor. The Colts deserve better.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Of all the franchises in the NFL, the Pats are the one team you'd expect to do something like this.  The Browns, the Redskins, the Jets, for all the terrible football decisions they make, you still wouldn't expect them to do something like this.  You can at least respect them and their word.  New England, not so much.  I tried getting over my hatred of them and respecting their accomplishments, but I can't do that after this.  No class, no integrity.  Just a bunch of arrogant, classless cheaters.

I've never been a pats fan or a pats hater.  I still am not going to waste the energy of hate on them.

They are who they say they are.  

We move ahead, leave them to the viper pit that they are

Colts really assume he was coming here, should have waited until he signed contract before going ahead to announce. Once the egg is off Jim/Chris/our faces, it was probably for the best. I would be so PO if I was the new assistants; send the boys to shove his visor down his throat.

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Dude's reputation is going straight down the drain around the league

Wow, if this is true, as of 9:51 last night McDaniels had not talked to the coaches he convinced to leave their jobs for the Colts, what a complete tool.

2 hours ago, kornstar said:

I'm assuming it was an 11th hour bid from the Pats. But yes, it is awful timing!

Don't get me wrong, these are my feelings but i completely understand the fan anger and anyone who hates him and the Patriots for this. 

Years ago i would have been on here absolutely livid but i try not to get too upset these days over things i can not control i have wasted a lot of my life stressing over things just like this.......

I'm pretty much convinced this was a planned sabotage. 

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

For those of us who never believed McDaniels changed just because he gave a good interview a while a go, this cluster is 100% on Ballard.

Even if it wasn't Josh, you run the risk of this happening when you wait for a superbowl team to finish its season.  Can't blame a GM directly, but the risk has to be accounted for.

Then combine that risk with the candidate having a personality like McDaniels and Ballard is definitely to blame.

At the very least, he is to blame for allowing the team to be dependent upon trusting McDaniels. 

You can't avoid the coach you believe will fit best because his team is being successful in the playoffs, this has never happened before with these circumstances so it is not like Ballard should have seen this coming.

Ballard is to be blamed because McDaniels went back on his word?  They had agreed terms on the deal, even bringing in assistants, and then McDaniels pulls the cowardly move of reneging on his deal and that is on Ballard?  Not having it.

Maybe they should have waited until the paper was signed to announce the deal but, again, this is on McDaniels and the Patriots for the way this has been handled.  Ballard acting in good faith and taking a man at his word is not a fault of his.

17 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not sure how relevant this is, but if McDaniels is already being picked to be Belichick's successor, wouldn't that be in violation of the Rooney Rule?  Though, when was the last time the Pats cared about following the rules and having integrity?

That's would be my understanding of the rule, if they gave him any assurances about becoming the head coach after Belichick.  Integrity does not seem to be high on their list of priorities.

Why is there always so damn much controversy with the Pats?

Can you imagine living a  life where you thrive on deceit, lies, cheating, etc and  on others hating you?  That nonsense is not the life for me.  I am over my anger and now relieved that we dodged that bullet.

11 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Are you really comparing the 2?

From a character standpoint- absolutely.  Happens in the Business world every day, but not to the scale that people care, because of sports’ national exposure.  Normally, in Biz, it’s because the family refuses to move.  Pro Sports teams get our emotions flowing, making us think we are involved or personally insulted, when it’s really just an entertainment business.

McDaniels revealed his character.  Not worthy of the Colts.  He should have told them BEFORE the announcement, not after...