Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, this won't be a quick recovery, but you can bet this isn't going to go well with the other 31 owners.  They Patriots might not get fined, and that's okay.  If teams can't do it on the field, I would not at all be surprised if any non-Patriot owner/GM not blacklists the Patriots making things difficult to recover from post-Brady/Belichick.  Josh McDaniels on the other hand has secured that he won't have a head coaching job for any team other than New England.  He put all his eggs in one basket, and that basket comes with impossible expectations - if he falls short of the Pats fans Belichickian expectations, he won't survive long.  It's hard enough for guys to get a 2nd chance, let alone a 3rd chance after you sacrificed your integrity just for the 2nd.

I can also see teams in the future ignoring the restriction on signing coaches until their season is finished, fines be darned.  There was always a potential for something like this to happen, and now it has and it has the potential to be very damaging.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

This is interesting. Some sympathy and hate from Pats fan site at SB Nation:

"The bottom line is that if this had happened to the Patriots, we would be up in arms, and rightly so."

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/6/16983832/the-josh-mcdaniels-situation-doesnt-sit-right-with-me

Not at all. Taking pot shots at Irsay's previous substance abuse issues is a lowblow. That fanbase sucks just as bad as their staff, management and owner does.

3 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

I can also see teams in the future ignoring the restriction on signing coaches until their season is finished, fines be darned.  There was always a potential for something like this to happen, and now it has and it has the potential to be very damaging.

Well, and it makes coaches coming out of NE, a Robert Kraft employed coach now is tainted for the foreseeable future.  Coaches will be hesitant to go there because of said red flag, and teams will look elsewhere first before hiring a coach from New England.  He's only hurt his franchise in the long run.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, and it makes coaches coming out of NE, a Robert Kraft employed coach now is tainted for the foreseeable future.  Coaches will be hesitant to go there because of said red flag, and teams will look elsewhere first before hiring a coach from New England.  He's only hurt his franchise in the long run.

Yes, and it's actions like this, that only solidifies the tainted accomplishments of the past too.

Seriously... tho,   shame on all of us (myself included) for falling for this latest scheme.    Do you think now, that we've learned our lesson, NEVER  EVER to trust anyone from that organization..??    

Just now, Narcosys said:

If it is found out that they promised him future HC of the Patriots in this deal...there will be repercussion forthwith.

That is honestly the only way it made sense for him to stay.  Now I hope that all of our hopes that he matured were dead wrong and he just crashes and burns that franchise.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

My thoughts exactly. Wow. Only one direction now... all in on Peyton Freaking Manning. 

I'd tell you where to shove it but it'd be against the rules 

Gonna be interesting. 

Eh most were no name first time wonders, this was a calculated set up from the very beginning 

Wait, huh?

Sounds like he signed a contract and then backed out. Hopefully Ballard included some very heavy blackout language in there... as in we get all their draft picks for the next 10 years and they get a 25 million dollar cap hit fine

Yeah no kidding

Eh let's not do that. I was always on the fence about McDaniels myself but let's not go attacking other fans. Take the high road

Calm down was just a joke

7 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Neither was McDaniels.  Gotta get someone, at least for a year, and Venturi knows football like no other coach that I have listened to.   Look at who we've had.  Caldwell, Pagano.  Both horrible at even discussing the game or strategy.

Venturi knows the Colts players' strengths and weaknesses very well. Not only is he great after the fact, as you say, but he always comes up with a game plan in advance, based on the next opponents strengths and weaknesses. Not sure Pagano could.

His record as a HC says otherwise. Venturi does indeed know football, and knows how to communicate that to non-experts. However, that does not mean he can effectively communicate that to his players before hand, nor that he's an effective leader, able to get players to buy into his vision.

21 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Neither was McDaniels.  Gotta get someone, at least for a year, and Venturi knows football like no other coach that I have listened to.   Look at who we've had.  Caldwell, Pagano.  Both horrible at even discussing the game or strategy.

Venturi knows the Colts players' strengths and weaknesses very well. Not only is he great after the fact, as you say, but he always comes up with a game plan in advance, based on the next opponents strengths and weaknesses. Not sure Pagano could.

Caldwell and pagano.   Both better coaches than Venturi

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yep.... Patriots tampered and here's proof....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915201/article/josh-mcdaniels-bailed-on-colts-job-after-meeting-with-patriots

One thing to note: "While the health of Andrew Luck's throwing shoulder and the prospect of working for owner Jim Irsay were part of McDaniels' thought process in taking the job, he'd gotten comfortable with those issues and neither were the deciding factor for him to spurn the Colts, one person who knows McDaniels well said. "

That isn't tampering.   He was under contract with the pats, not the colts

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

Yes, and it's actions like this, that only solidifies the tainted accomplishments of the past too.

Seriously... tho,   shame on all of us (myself included) for falling for this latest scheme.    Do you think now, that we've learned our lesson, NEVER  EVER to trust anyone from that organization..??    

I was all for repairing the relationship with that organization.  They were good, the Pats bested the Colts over the past decade and a half.  No point in crying over spilt milk.  Part of rebuilding a relationship is trusting acknowledging you are vulnerable to attack.  Well, we got burned.  There might be a day when this is all water under the bridge, but it won't anytime soon, years at least. and this time.

I have to believe the other franchises side with the Colts on this.  The Colts followed protocol.  They found their head coach, lined up what assistants he wanted and brought them on board until the HC came aboard.  Several teams, maybe all of them, hire their coaches via handshake agreements behind the scenes and make it official whenever the rules allow for it.  This is common practice.  Lo and behold, the Patriots - again might I add - have upset the established precedent for bringing in coaches, and reneging on their word, leaving assistants such as Eberflus and GM Ballard out to dry. 

I don't fault Ballard or Irsay for any of this - they made the best move for their guy, supposedly won the bid for him, and he went back on his word.  If you cant trust the guy you want as a head coach, you shouldn't hire him, so I mean, you gotta put yourself out there, and they did it the way any other NFL franchise did.  He lied and we got burned, but how often does any upstanding person gain more by lying than the retribution from the fall out?

What is the best way out of this mess? Not the most popular.

Bring back Pagano? Dungy? Frank Reich? Harbaugh? Others? Who would take this job with three assistants that are not his choice? Should Irsay pay off the three contracts and bite the bullet?

Believe this- Kraft is enjoying this as revenge for deflate gate. It is widely known to be true the deflate gate has stuck in his ribs since it hit the news. Hard to believe this all happened at the last minute to McDaniels cleaning out his office.

I am looking forward to the next announcement for the new head coach. Some people go off the deep end because of the McDaniels pullout, but there are many great coaching possibilities out there, even some with HC experience. McDaniels pullout is a plus in my book. He ruined the Bronco's when he was there! I didn't want him doing the same to the Colts. Let's get on with a promising future with a new coaching staff that also has promising possibilities! The sky is the limit, but choose wisely!

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

And those choices are gone.

Rhule returned to Baylor btw. The level of damage can be huge. Affects Free Agency, affects draft, affects a lot of things. There is no sugar coating this, its a shoot show, all because one man couldn't keep his word.

You may be right. I would rather see what happens in the next week or two to get a better idea on the effect on the colts

As. Far as the Rooney rule, the Pats can interview minority coaches when it is time to replace BB, then give it to JN.  Also, they can just bypass the charade and pay the $200,000 fine for violating it.

The coaches that signed their contracts, the Colts will honor (Irsay is that way, and so are his Colts).  The other coaches talked into putting off their plans and come to Indy once the HC is named?  They are actively pursuing other jobs frantically again.  I believe David Diehl reported talking to some personally he knew that are doing just that. I do feel for them greatly.

The perception (after the JM snap wears down) is the Colts HC job is-

1. Filled by second choice candidate

2. A position snubbed by all the candidates interviewed in some fashion.

I’m disappointed, but moving on to what is important. Overcoming. Preparing for the draft by getting the “Right “ HC and OC, right scheme and move forward.

No question the Luck uncertainty, and JM snub hurts, but  I’m prepared to support Ballard in rallying the troops and moving on.

I wasn't a fan of bringing Josh "Manboy" McDaniels here but I thought I would support him once we heard that he was coming.  I had some hopes for the Offense, at least. 

After discussing the matter with some friends, I've come to the conclusion that we knew what we were getting.  The players in Denver said that he didn't keep his word and couldn't be trusted. 

This will work out better for us not to have him here.  He won't fit our culture; he's perfect for New England's.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Bring back Pagano? Dungy? Frank Reich? Harbaugh? Others? Who would take this job with three assistants that are not his choice? Should Irsay pay off the three contracts and bite the bullet?

Believe this- Kraft is enjoying this as revenge for deflate gate. It is widely known to be true the deflate gate has stuck in his ribs since it hit the news. Hard to believe this all happened at the last minute to McDaniels cleaning out his office.

PEYTON. Nuff said. Drops mic.(not as good as ballards)

1 minute ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

I'm used to it by now.

They either bring up Irsay's history of substance abuse, or some other junk in the past.

Every single fanbase and team has some kind of baggage, you are better off ignoring it or dropping it all together.

Don't let it get to you.

Nicely Put

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I heard there was a morals clause in the contract that required McDaniels to win without cheating and doing things that would require the NFL to fine the coaches, owners and take away draft picks.  So, McDaniels backed out.

so good

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

I find it hilarious that a billionaire can be that petty. Deflategate was a whole lot of nothing, and it was mainly Ryan Grigson who made it a fuss about that ball in question to begin with.

Either way, McDaniels honestly isn't all that. It's not completely fair to judge him based off of his stint in Denver. But I think we can choose a much better leader and man. He also got to ride off the success of perhaps the greatest QB ever, and easily the best HC ever. Someone capable of this, would've been the most unprofessional Colts coach in my lifetime.

We can do better. Better to not let it sting you. 

12 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

I find it hilarious that a billionaire can be that petty. Deflategate was a whole lot of nothing, and it was mainly Ryan Grigson who made it a fuss about that ball in question to begin with.

Grigson just reported it and he was right to do so.  What are they doing hiding in the bathroom if they are doing nothing wrong?

I was surprised by the NFL's reaction but, that's on New England.  It wasn't a first offense.

If you got a history, it's going to haunt you.

Being a bully to anyone that blows the whistle on you is just more proof that you need to be knocked down a couple of pegs

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was all for repairing the relationship with that organization.  They were good, the Pats bested the Colts over the past decade and a half.  No point in crying over spilt milk.  Part of rebuilding a relationship is trusting acknowledging you are vulnerable to attack.  Well, we got burned.  There might be a day when this is all water under the bridge, but it won't anytime soon, years at least. and this time.

I have to believe the other franchises side with the Colts on this.  The Colts followed protocol.  They found their head coach, lined up what assistants he wanted and brought them on board until the HC came aboard.  Several teams, maybe all of them, hire their coaches via handshake agreements behind the scenes and make it official whenever the rules allow for it.  This is common practice.  Lo and behold, the Patriots - again might I add - have upset the established precedent for bringing in coaches, and reneging on their word, leaving assistants such as Eberflus and GM Ballard out to dry. 

I don't fault Ballard or Irsay for any of this - they made the best move for their guy, supposedly won the bid for him, and he went back on his word.  If you cant trust the guy you want as a head coach, you shouldn't hire him, so I mean, you gotta put yourself out there, and they did it the way any other NFL franchise did.  He lied and we got burned, but how often does any upstanding person gain more by lying than the retribution from the fall out?

Great post, really sums my feelings up on the situation as well.  

I was also on board with rebuilding the relationship with the Pats, and the Colts really learned who they are.   Although I am surprised the Colts would announce McDaniels before there was a pen to paper, IMO that was a mistake.  

At the end of the day, the Colts are better off without him as he clearly had no loyalty.  This will also hurt him in the end, unless he expects to coach for the Patriots for the rest of his life, which is incredibly rare in this sport.  

Now the Colts just need to move forward and hopefully they can still find someone worthwhile to hire.  

3 hours ago, Roger said:

This is interesting. Some sympathy and hate from Pats fan site at SB Nation:

"The bottom line is that if this had happened to the Patriots, we would be up in arms, and rightly so."

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/6/16983832/the-josh-mcdaniels-situation-doesnt-sit-right-with-me

There's no sympathy.  Make no mistake, they're laughing at us right now.  Check their forums if you don't believe me.  

Don't make the same mistake Ballard did.

Why is this an issue with the Pats as an organization? People are talking about being ready to repair the relationship but not anymore? I thinks that lie, Colt fans will always have it against the Pats. Just for pure rivalry reasons. But what role did the Pats play in McDaniels leaving the Colts at the altar? Besides offering their own coach more money to stay?

I also get a kick out of the "We didn't want him anyway" posts. For the last 3 weeks this board was loaded top to bottom with threads about what a great hire it was.  

4 minutes ago, ZAZA418 said:

Why is this an issue with the Pats as an organization? People are talking about being ready to repair the relationship but not anymore? I thinks that lie, Colt fans will always have it against the Pats. Just for pure rivalry reasons. But what role did the Pats play in McDaniels leaving the Colts at the altar? Besides offering their own coach more money to stay?

I also get a kick out of the "We didn't want him anyway" posts. For the last 3 weeks this board was loaded top to bottom with threads about what a great hire it was.  

Maybe you haven't seen the rumors that Kraft was the one to really talk McDaniels into staying, with Schefter even saying part of it was indeed to stick it to the Colts.

And for the record I didn't really have a virtiol hate for the whole Pats org, and still don't really, but I don't like Kraft. Always thought he was a pretty petty and spiteful guy.

Did I just hear that right?  Part of what enticed McDaniels to stay was the fact Belichick offered to step up the mentoring process?  Mentoring process?  

Okay, so the guy is 41, he's been in the league for decades and has already been a head coach once, yet still needs mentoring?  lol

First question Frank Reich should be asked:  Do you feel you still need more mentoring?  

Yes, very good chance we were done a huge favor here.