Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

22 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Maybe you haven't seen the rumors that Kraft was the one to really talk McDaniels into staying, with Schefter even saying part of it was indeed to stick it to the Colts.

And for the record I didn't really have a virtiol hate for the whole Pats org, and still don't really, but I don't like Kraft. Always thought he was a pretty petty and spiteful guy.

But that's my thing. Of course Kraft talked McDaniels into staying. He owns the team and it's his right to retain employees he thinks highly of. There's zero chance Kraft did it to spite the Colts. He values McDaniels as a coach and wanted to keep him. I don't see anything wrong with that. If you were leaving your company and your current employer wanted to keep you wouldn't they make a counter offer?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Did I just hear that right?  Part of what enticed McDaniels to stay was the fact Belichick offered to step up the mentoring process?  Mentoring process?  

Okay, so the guy is 41, he's been in the league for decades and has already been a head coach once, yet still needs mentoring?  lol

First question Frank Reich should be asked:  Do you feel you still need more mentoring?  

Yes, very good chance we were done a huge favor here.

I still believe it was a set up from the get go, over a month ago.  No way I believe he changed his mind at the last minute. 

In any event, I do agree with your last line.  Huge Favor!

4 minutes ago, ZAZA418 said:

But that's my thing. Of course Kraft talked McDaniels into staying. He owns the team and it's his right to retain employees he thinks highly of. There's zero chance Kraft did it to spite the Colts. He values McDaniels as a coach and wanted to keep him. I don't see anything wrong with that. If you were leaving your company and your current employer wanted to keep you wouldn't they make a counter offer?

Zero chance is a pretty big statement. 

There’s always a small chance. There was a small chance JM was having reservations. And look what happened.

New member/first post. Patriot fan here and joined to let you know how lucky you are that Josh McDaniel changed his mind. He's not a head coach, and he certainly can't be trusted based on what's transpired. I'm sickened that he's done this and will be back in New England roaming our sidelines. His agent was correct when he said, "My word is my bond.." How can anyone ever trust anything that ever comes out of his mouth?? You guys will find a HC with integrity that will lead you forward. Karma...

I just wonder what "sweetened the pot" really means. 

The NFL should wonder also.

And if it's some guarantee that he'll be the next head coach, who will the 'token' Rooney Rule interviewee be? 

It would be a bigger farce than what transpired in Oakland recently with Gruden.

Sure, they'll put that 'check in the box' with that interview, but I'd bet that the deal is already done with a nod and a wink.

But at least the Rooney candidate will have the 'experience' and something to 'put on that resume'.

Sure, other teams are guilty of going through the motions on this, but this could be about as blatant as it can get.

4 hours ago, Gramz said:

Yes, and it's actions like this, that only solidifies the tainted accomplishments of the past too.

Seriously... tho,   shame on all of us (myself included) for falling for this latest scheme.    Do you think now, that we've learned our lesson, NEVER  EVER to trust anyone from that organization..??    

Look at the bright side... we got to dump Allen and Dorsett on them, neither of which helped them in any significant way (Dorsett COULD have been an all time hero if he actually could catch and bothered to grab the hail mary that fell right in front of him and Stone Hands Allen wasn't much better for them) and got a significant upgrade at back up QB out of it.  (Didn't we take Banner with the 4th we got from them? Can't remember).  

Guys, we dodged a bullet here and though it may sting a bit right now, we're VERY lucky we didn't get stuck with him.  Imagine him eyeing the Patriot job just waiting for Bill to retire while biding his time here half heartedly committed.  He was tainted goods from the start and proved it with this weak minded move he pulled.  Yes, we dodged a bullet.

And don't forget, the same guy who reported that reported McDaniels might have been having second thoughts ALSO speculated that Irsay ALSO had to be sold on McDaniel as his instincts were telling him to pass but our GM sold him on McDaniel.  May or may not be true, but since they got McDaniel's weak kneed cowardice right, perhaps Irsay wasn't really on board either.   If so that really puts pressure on our GM to hit a home run on whoever he picks.  My bet is he'll go with his old buddy from KC.  The only other ST Coach to Head Coach I know of is John Harbaugh and he wasn't too bad (though he's kind of lost it recently).  

The MUCH bigger worry is Luck.  Is he REALLY okay or are we all being misled again?  THAT worries me far more than the coach.  If there's enough doubt about Luck in the air perhaps we'll be drafting a QB this year.  

11 minutes ago, RC1959 said:

New member/first post. Patriot fan here and joined to let you know how lucky you are that Josh McDaniel changed his mind. He's not a head coach, and he certainly can't be trusted based on what's transpired. I'm sickened that he's done this and will be back in New England roaming our sidelines. His agent was correct when he said, "My word is my bond.." How can anyone ever trust anything that ever comes out of his mouth?? You guys will find a HC with integrity that will lead you forward. Karma...

Thank you and welcome to the boards. I just think the real crappy part of all of this is how he left the other coaches hanging.

30 minutes ago, ZAZA418 said:

Kraft could have had that conversation with McDaniels at any point in the process, especially after finding out that McDaniels was the only candidate brought back for a second interview.  this has been all but official for a couple of weeks now.  yet kraft waits until the day that the colts finally make an official announcement? 

yeah I'm sure there was no spite involved at all.    <----sarcasm

34 minutes ago, ZAZA418 said:

Even if they did, if I had said yes to the other company I would honor that commitment.  It is a concept of keeping your word, it is something I have told my kids to do since they were little.  Apparently that value is not important with McD.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Even if they did, if I had said yes to the other company I would honor that commitment.  It is a concept of keeping your word, it is something I have told my kids to do since they were little.  Apparently that value is not important with McD.

He only hurt himself.  Time will tell, just how much.

18 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Thank you and welcome to the boards. I just think the real crappy part of all of this is how he left the other coaches hanging.

Thanks. The fact that he could be talked out of it at the 12th hour tells me he wasn't fully invested in the job in the first place. I was very impressed with Chris Ballard and the way he navigated through it. You guys like Ballard?

19 minutes ago, J@son said:

Kraft could have had that conversation with McDaniels at any point in the process, especially after finding out that McDaniels was the only candidate brought back for a second interview.  this has been all but official for a couple of weeks now.  yet kraft waits until the day that the colts finally make an official announcement? 

yeah I'm sure there was no spite involved at all.    <----sarcasm

I'm thinking it's coming from Bill B. or Brady. Bill B. if there's uncertainty that he'll keep coaching, or Brady having to meld with another O.C. at age 40/41

2 minutes ago, RC1959 said:

Thanks. The fact that he could be talked out of it at the 12th hour tells me he wasn't fully invested in the job in the first place. I was very impressed with Chris Ballard and the way he navigated through it. You guys like Ballard?

Exactly...

Which is why I question Ballard on this big-time...

So much fascination with hiring a "big name" coach. To hell with the big name, give me a winner. The guy that just won the Super Bowl, who put Beli- cheat to the stake, was no "big name coach". People panned the Pederson hire, just like they said McVay wasn't ready in LA. Both of them took their team to the playoffs, Pederson took his team from a losing record to Super Bowl champs. Who cares about name recognition, that's for the media and media groupies, there are a lot of good coaches out there waiting for an open door to put their talents. Like Ballard said, give me a guy that is 100% in and wants to coach this team- and we will be better than fine. 

6 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

So much fascination with hiring a "big name" coach. To hell with the big name, give me a winner. The guy that just won the Super Bowl, who put Beli- cheat to the stake, was no "big name coach". People panned the Pederson hire, just like they said McVay wasn't ready in LA. Both of them took their team to the playoffs, Pederson took his team from a losing record to Super Bowl champs. Who cares about name recognition, that's for the media and media groupies, there are a lot of good coaches out there waiting for an open door to put their talents. Like Ballard said, give me a guy that is 100% in and wants to coach this team- and we will be better than fine. 

That was thing with Brady coming out of college. He wasn't a big name, and to this day he's not really a good athlete in the sense of a Russell Wilson, Aaron Rogers where he's a threat to run, but he's a winner. He takes what's given to him and he limits his mistakes. We had Bledsoe and he was a prototypical QB, but he made too many mistakes. The key to winning is getting everyone to buy into the program and not putting too much on any one player to carry. Next man up.. 

Patriots diehard homer here. Cheating or not, classless or not, arrogant or not, Pats blood runs thru my veins. That said, I am furious atm with our coaching staff and our qb to a lesser amount. 

What McDaniels did to you all today was plain wrong. It was disrespectful towards one of our greatest rivals and we should be penalized for it. If this was pre-planned from the outset then I would have Bill and Josh suspended. I think had he stayed as your HC, our teams could had a more amicable rivalry in the near future. 

While this ride has been incredible, I think our dynasty has 1 year left tops. After the crap Bill pulled on Butler and the Colts HC debacle, I can see my team in a more objective light. I love my tean and will never leave it but we deserve a collapse at this point. I kmow thats easy for me to say after 5 rings but it is sincere. Id gladly return 2 of our SB's in exchange for a quality coaching staff that sees more than just the x's and o's. 

Sorry for the rant but after I saw the McDaniels snub today, I wanted to create an account just to show u guys that not all Patriots fans are ***holes and that some of us can analyze our team objectively.

34 minutes ago, Northernborn22 said:

Patriots diehard homer here. Cheating or not, classless or not, arrogant or not, Pats blood runs thru my veins. That said, I am furious atm with our coaching staff and our qb to a lesser amount. 

What McDaniels did to you all today was plain wrong. It was disrespectful towards one of our greatest rivals and we should be penalized for it. If this was pre-planned from the outset then I would have Bill and Josh suspended. I think had he stayed as your HC, our teams could had a more amicable rivalry in the near future. 

While this ride has been incredible, I think our dynasty has 1 year left tops. After the crap Bill pulled on Butler and the Colts HC debacle, I can see my team in a more objective light. I love my tean and will never leave it but we deserve a collapse at this point. I kmow thats easy for me to say after 5 rings but it is sincere. Id gladly return 2 of our SB's in exchange for a quality coaching staff that sees more than just the x's and o's. 

Sorry for the rant but after I saw the McDaniels snub today, I wanted to create an account just to show u guys that not all Patriots fans are ***holes and that some of us can analyze our team objectively.

Part of me appreciates this but most of me agrees with the bad news bears which the colts may be right now:

38 minutes ago, Northernborn22 said:

TY 

I feel sorry for anyone associated with NE after this 

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

All I know is things just for much much murkier for the Colts. 

But IF AND I MEAN A BIG IF, we can find a decent HC and get Luck back, and somehow we come out of this thing with a winning future , then the next Coach may be a legend in himself

I think Frank Reich (especially if DeFlippio is brought along too) would be a good get this late in the game. 

33 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO

That loophole needs to be fixed

Not only does that need fixed so does teams wanting to hire coaches and coordinators be required to wait till the season is complete (after the super bowl) before any of them can be contacted or hired.

1 hour ago, Northernborn22 said:

Kudos and Welcome. 

My wife just brought up an interesting point. Could you imagine what Mrs McDaniels might be feeling right now? Her husband not only did a slimy, deceitful move on the Colts, but her weasel of a husband is throwing to her and the kids under the bus infront of him to the entire world by trying to say he made this decision cause of his family and not wanting to move. Which if you believe that to any degree, I have some oceanfront property for sale in Wyoming 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My wife just brought up an interesting point. Could you imagine what Mrs McDaniels might be feeling right now? Her husband not only did a slimy, deceitful move on the Colts, but her weasel of a husband is throwing to her and the kids under the bus infront of him to the entire world by trying to say he made this decision cause of his family and not wanting to move. Which if you believe that to any degree, I have some oceanfront property for sale in Wyoming 

I had those exact same thoughts.   He really is a piece of work.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Just maybe the wife didn't want to move to Indy and put the kids through a move and changing of schools? 

( just playing devils advocate) Not that I believe that but anything is possible.

I find it hard to believe that Kraft didn't have a huge part in his backing out and don't believe for one minute that McDaniels wasn't offered something behind closed doors.

2 hours ago, RC1959 said:

He's only in his second year with us, but the way he handled that press conference was classy and inspiring.  He also did a good year drafting us a safety who played well until he got hurt, a couple of good corners, and a good rb in the draft, along with bringing in some good D linemen in FA.  I'm happy thus far.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe the wife didn't want to move to Indy and put the kids through a move and changing of schools? 

( just playing devils advocate) Not that I believe that but anything is possible.

I find it hard to believe that Kraft didn't have a huge part in his backing out and don't believe for one minute that McDaniels wasn't offered something behind closed doors.

Possible.   I think the problem I have with that scenario....   is that certainly that would have been discussed before he ever entertained the thought of   interviewing with another team.   

37 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't really see how Ballard is to blame for this at all. He and Irsay thought they found their guy. Nobody knew that McDaniels was going to stab them in the back.

I'm not blaming Ballard, I just think his accumen can be brought into question...

Basically, I just wasn't that surprised when the reports came out that McDaniels pulled the backhanded move & backed out of his agreement with Ballard. Without knowing much about the guy, it just, for what ever reason, isn't so surprising. So, I guess, I would have to wonder, if Ballard, deep down, is really that surprised as well...

I just thought part of the the decision making for the next HC, was that there was NO-QUESTION that the next HC was "all in" to be the guy in Indy. McDaniels obviously wasn't "all in", & I find it hard to believe that there weren't some red flags throughout the process...

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know you know that there's no way she'd wait a month and a half to discuss that with her husband. No way 

Well, both Patriots fans and McDaniels have several narratives to play damage control. 

Well, he did it for his kids. Well, he did it because he wanted to stick it to us for Deflategate. Well, he did it because he did not want to work with Irsay. Well, he did because he was afraid Luck may not be back. I am sure there is more reasons for that weasel/coward to find excuses to explain his actions.

Ultimately, any of these reasons could have been chosen well ahead of time but he sat on it. Bottom line, he did not have the sack to get out of his comfort zone, even if it meant going back on his word and hurting several people that counted on him in the process. If he had been honest with himself, he would have been honest with the others too but he couldn't be honest with himself and that is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

Baltimore fans haven't forgotten the Irsay family, I doubt the Colts fans would ever forget this. Very much like Elway demanding a trade from the Colts. However, we have to find a way to focus on things less negative because it will drain unnecessary energy we could have channeled elsewhere. Go Colts!!!

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think Frank Reich (especially if DeFlippio is brought along too) would be a good get this late in the game. 

That would be a home run if they got both to come.  I would much prefer that to the weasel anyway. The Eagles would likely promote Defilippo though to OC to avoid the loss. Eagles coaching tree is pretty good. 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Possible.   I think the problem I have with that scenario....   is that certainly that would have been discussed before he ever entertained the thought of   interviewing with another team.   

Interesting takes.  Possible wife was ready to move and buy/set up a new home an d put kids in a new scholl etc... IF, the move was a big upgrade (many areas, not just $$).  When Josh talked with BB, and Kraft 'sweetened' the deal, maybe the net package didn't look nearly as enticing to uproot the family anymore.  We just don't know.  From any personal angle, I really don't fault JM.  From a professional angle, I lay all blame square on his shoulders; if nothing else for the trauma he has caused other coaches and the well being of their wives and kids that he uprooted to come to Indy, then bailed on them. Since only 3 had signed contracts, many others did not and are now actively looking for employment.  Then the other reasons so evident.