Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Andrew Luck Discussions (merge) The Dark Mystery of Andrew Luck

King Colt

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Something else that gives me pause - Luck was not supposed to throw until January. Now they are saying he will throw this coming week? Is it Luck feeling great and them going ahead of schedule on the rehab? Or is it them trying to make determination on a new surgery as quickly as possible in order for him to have more time for rehab with possible earlier surgery? 

I'm very confused by this development. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's either the bolded or possibly some of both. Also I imagine Luck/the Colts want to have something definitive to say when he speaks to the media after the season, so the quicker they figure out what's happening the better.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what some experts said earlier about Luck headin to Europe and why it's likely that he went there:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-andrew-luck-europe-surgery-1111-story.html

First, he is not satisfied with the opinions he has gotten regarding his surgically repaired labrum, nor with the previously reported plan he just rehab the shoulder. This is not to say he is unhappy with the treatment he has received, just that he is seeking more.

Second, while the reports don’t specify why Luck is going across the ocean, he is almost certainly headed for blood spinning and/or to receive stem cell injections that are illegal in the United States.

In the blood spinning procedure, doctors draw blood, spin it down to separate out the healing and anti-inflammatory agents and reinject it into the area where healing is to be stimulated.

Stem cells are harvested during a mini-surgical procedure from bone marrow or fat and considered precursor cells for regeneration. They are then injected to speed recovery and rehab.

Autologous platelet rich plasma treatments or stem cells that are not heated or manipulated are legal. One has to go overseas to get around those limitations.

Carolyn MCann interviewed Dungy and he said, assuming Luck comes back, that the Colts will be fine.  He said colts played tight in almost every game and there were very good individual performances to suggest they would be good next year.  Dungy is very rarely wrong whe he makes these quiet understated comments.  I have always been a huge fan of him and noticed that he has what I hope and think Ballard has, a real vision for what a team needs to progress.  In other words, I typically believe him.

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Carolyn MCann interviewed Dungy and he said, assuming Luck comes back, that the Colts will be fine.  He said colts played tight in almost every game and there were very good individual performances to suggest they would be good next year.  Dungy is very rarely wrong whe he makes these quiet understated comments.  I have always been a huge fan of him and noticed that he has what I hope and think Ballard has, a real vision for what a team needs to progress.  In other words, I typically believe him.

I agree. I just wish Dungy would consider coming back as the Colts head coach. He has a knack for picking a good staff to work with.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

But he may? So my point is, could it hurt to consider another quality QB?

Even if Luck does return, we would then have two.

When Andrew Luck returns from from his European treatments soon, he will resume a throwing regimen that will ultimately determine whether he needs corrective surgery to his biceps tendon, per multiple sources.

Oh but I think he will be back in time for next year.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank you, some great perspective finally and positivity. I Concur as OLD MAN would say haha 

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that "I concur" trend!

And thanks for the kind words.  Prior to today, I was very concerned the shoulder was still the issue.  Shoulder is a complex animal.

However, now that we know it's only biceps tendonitis as a result of some potential alignment issues (muscle adjusting to shoulder's "new" position), I feel pretty darn good about everything even if he does need to get that biceps screwed down to the humerus. 

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

So you don't think the management should look into another QB?

Just keep our fingers crossed and take a chance that everything will turn out ok with Andrew Luck?

They can look, but they've got a stud under a massive contract. 

They've got a guy they invested a season of snaps into, who isn't terrible, despite it all. A fine back up, possibly a quality starter in time. The book is out on Jacoby, but for my dollar, I don't think any of the QB's in this draft are any more sure fire than he is.

So to answer your question. Not really. No. 

11 hours ago, IinD said:

It's funny because a few weeks back Francesa (the radio guy) had a Dr on that basically said if he's having trouble it's probably the bicep and not the shoulder. Looks like he was correct if this becomes the case.

Apparently this happens someone's in rotator cuff injuries because after the shoulder is corrected the bicep sometimes isn't lined up 100% like it was prior to surgery.

He also said it's not a big deal because of the 2/3 month rehab.

Fingers crossed he doesn't need anything done of course.

I agree with you.....LIN...

If its the bicep, its good news...

I think a lot of us have readied ourselves for the possibility that Andrew might need a second surgery.

He's got to be pain free..,,and he has the entire off-season to get there.

To me, this is a path to being 100% other than just 'hope'

Lets be clear about this....

The goal is NOT to have a second surgery.

The goal is that the treatment and rehab in Europe has worked.

The back-up plan is a second surgery.      It may have a short rehab and we will likely know by the draft in late April,  but the 2nd surgery is NOT a lock to be successful.     

Hopefully we find out in early January that things went well and Luck will be fine.     But if not,  then it's time for a second surgery.      We will probably know the first week of January,  no later than the second.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lets be clear about this....

The goal is NOT to have a second surgery.

The goal is that the treatment and rehab in Europe has worked.

The back-up plan is a second surgery.      It may have a short rehab and we will likely know by the draft in late April,  but the 2nd surgery is NOT a lock to be successful.     

Hopefully we find out in early January that things went well and Luck will be fine.     But if not,  then it's time for a second surgery.      We will probably know the first week of January,  no later than the second.

I dont think you have to say that no one wants surgery.  But I repeat 'IF its the bicep, its good news'

I've long accepted the possibility.....that he may need another surgery of some kind

I dont want him to head towards next season just 'hoping'

....But either way is fine.

Nobodys career ends at age 29 'solely' because of shoulder probelms.... Its never happened that I know of.

I've always been confident that Luck will be back.

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I dont think you have to say that no one wants surgery.  But I repeat 'IF its the bicep, its good news'

I've long accepted the possibility.....that he may need another surgery of some kind

I dont want him to head towards next season just 'hoping'

....But either way is fine.

Nobodys career ends at age 29 'solely' because of shoulder probelms.... Its never happened that I know of.

I've always been confident that Luck will be back.

The odds may be in Luck's favor......    but...

Greg Cook was the Bengals QB around the late 60's or early 70's.     His career ended due to a shoulder injury.   Only lasted a few seasons, but Bill Walsh said he had the talent to be one of the greatest of all time.

Chad Pennington never had the career that was expected due to shoulder difficulty.    I'm confident there are others.

Luck's career might not end prematurly due to this,  but it might be restricted.    His ceiling might get lowered if he loses some of the magic in his arm.      This is not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think Andrew is out of the woods just yet....

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The odds may be in Luck's favor......    but...

Greg Cook was the Bengals QB around the late 60's or early 70's.     His career ended due to a shoulder injury.   Only lasted a few seasons, but Bill Walsh said he had the talent to be one of the greatest of all time.

Chad Pennington never had the career that was expected due to shoulder difficulty.    I'm confident there are others.

Luck's career might not end prematurly due to this,  but it might be restricted.    His ceiling might get lowered if he loses some of the magic in his arm.      This is not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think Andrew is out of the woods just yet....

Iv e heard this NCF.....There arent others.

Greg Cook was 50 years ago..right?. Medicine and surgery have somewhat been updated since then and and, no disrespect, but he was never 'Andrew Luck' good....His career may not have ended because of the injury.

His level of play couldn't afford to diminish

Chad Pennington was never very good...and, I dont think his career ended because of the surgery.

My point is that, even with a diminished throwing strength, Andrew can still be a great player.

No one's career has ever ended SOLELY (which is the key word I used') do to shoulder surgery.

I've heard more than ne of the NFL 'TV doctors say that and there are no examples of it in the present day.

Gayle Sayers career ended with an injury (torn ACL) that would have been one off-season re-hab now

No injured player is 'out of the woods' until he gets back on the field if he still feels pain but NFL QBs play with some shoulder pain. most all of them.

I'm just not as worried as you are. We just saw a Colts QB with 1/4 of his original arm strength set all-time NFL records after multiple neck surgeries and 'career-ending' nerve damage.

What even happened to that guy?

Edited by oldunclemark

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Iv e heard this NCF.....There arent others.

Greg Cook was 50 years ago..right?. Medicine and surgery have somewhat been updated since then and and, no disrespect, but he was never 'Andrew Luck' good....His career may not have ended because of the injury.

His level of play couldn't afford to diminish

Chad Pennington was never very good...and, I dont think his career ended because of the surgery.

My point is that, even with a diminished throwing strength, Andrew can still be a great player.

No one's career has ever ended SOLELY (which is the key word I used') do to shoulder surgery.

I've heard more than ne of the NFL 'TV doctors say that and there are no examples of it in the present day.

Gayle Sayers career ended with an injury (torn ACL) that would have been one off-season re-hab now

No injured player is 'out of the woods' until he gets back on the field if he still feels pain but NFL QBs play with some shoulder pain. most all of them.

I'm just not as worried as you are. We just saw a Colts QB with 1/4 of his original arm strength set all-time NFL records after multiple neck surgeries and 'career-ending' nerve damage.

What even happened to that guy?

Pennington was never very good?     He was a first round pick.     The "he was never very good" is because he had a bad shoulder which badly limited his ability to throw.      Cook was never Andrew Luck good because he got hurt early in his career.     Otherwise,  he would've been Andrew Luck good.    So says Bill Walsh, whose opinion on such matters I trust.

As for Manning....    I think you grossly distort Manning's arm strength.      It may have been 1/4 back when the Colts released him and he went to Duke to work with Cutcliffe there....     but he slowly built the strength back up.

Not to his original level,  and perhaps not even close.    But during those first three years at Denver,  it was definitely NOT 1/4 of his original strength.     Besides,  arm strength was never a strength of Peyton's game.

You are correct that modern medicine is helping and few, if any,  QB's have suffered Luck's injury.    But Luck's injury is real.    It's not some figment of his immagination as Irsay hinted at.     So, perhaps we are in unchartered waters?   Perhaps we have an injury that we've never had before.     Lots of things have never happenede before --- until they do.     And then it's a first.     Maybe that's where we are with Andrew.    Dunno.     What I do know is the first surgery didn't work.     The rehab didn't work.     The second rehab didn't work.     And Luck was desperate enough to go to Europe to save his career.      Hopefully it did.     But the modern medicine you speak so glowingly of didn't work for Andrew.      At least not AMERICAN modern medicine.      Right now it may be EUROPEAN modern medicine that saves him.      And short of that,  Luck has a second surgery.    

I don't think Chris Ballard is in position yet to write Luck's name in as the Colts 2018 starting QB just yet.     And he might not be until late April when he may have to decide whether Luck looks good,  or he has to draft his replacement.

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

They can look, but they've got a stud under a massive contract. 

They've got a guy they invested a season of snaps into, who isn't terrible, despite it all. A fine back up, possibly a quality starter in time. The book is out on Jacoby, but for my dollar, I don't think any of the QB's in this draft are any more sure fire than he is.

So to answer your question. Not really. No. 

Just read this from Mike Wells today. It kind of sums up what I have been saying.

Colts must look at all quarterback options in case Andrew Luck needs surgery

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22389/colts-have-to-look-at-all-quarterback-options-in-case-andrew-luck-needs-surgery

I do not really want to start a debate on this topic.

It's just that I am not sold on Brissett (even as the backup).

And just because I mentioned that I think it's time for the team to look for a new QB.

I was called "crazy" and told I am just too "impatient" 

I don't think the team can risk another season having to go with Brissett at the helm, because they need to be more patient.

20 hours ago, IinD said:

He also said it's not a big deal because of the 2/3 month rehab.

Fingers crossed he doesn't need anything done of course.

On Mike & Grady, on WIBC have discussed with some others including a physician and they said that for someone who would be using the bicep and arm like Andrew, true recovery time is more like 6 to 9 months.  it is basically January and could well put him into missing the start of next season.  That's assuming he is ready or is able to get ready for the season.  Lot's of questions that will need to be answered before the draft now.

13 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Lot's of questions that will need to be answered before the draft now.

i doubt we will have a very good answer by the draft

what if he does have the surgery and is in the early stages of recovery during the draft.  what will that tell us? 

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Just read this from Mike Wells today. It kind of sums up what I have been saying.

Colts must look at all quarterback options in case Andrew Luck needs surgery

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22389/colts-have-to-look-at-all-quarterback-options-in-case-andrew-luck-needs-surgery

I do not really want to start a debate on this topic.

It's just that I am not sold on Brissett (even as the backup).

And just because I mentioned that I think it's time for the team to look for a new QB.

I was called "crazy" and told I am just too "impatient" 

I don't think the team can risk another season having to go with Brissett at the helm, because they need to be more patient.

I think Brissett is a very good back up.   However he is and average starter at best.   I also would not want to go into the 2018 season with Brissett as the starter.   But we may not have much choice.   We would be crazy to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds unless we know Luck is out for another season or more.   Even then, Brissett is better than a rookie QB would be.   We will not be in the Cousins sweepstakes.  

If you don't want to debate it..

It's crazy (not well thought out, in my estimation), because you've got 2 QB's. One under a massive contract, who's easily one of the more talented/capable guys at the position in the game.

I'm not sold on Jacoby either, but as a practical matter he's not a bust, he can play the game.. I have no idea if Rosen or Darnold can and I'm not sure we'd be getting either anyway. I know the nerds that like to get into that stuff disagree on their upside, but I don't see it when I watch them play. Actually, I have a uncanny ability to tune in while Darnold is chucking INT's.

If I'm the GM, I'm not using premium assets to bring in a third guy. If you want to find someone in the 4th round or whatever, go for it, but the odd's that's the guy aren't high and it's not like he'll be given the benefit of the doubt with Luck around here.

And as technical point, a 3 to 6 month recovery window *if* he needs the surgery doesn't rub up on the OTA's..

Yeah, Wells is wrong. That's all.

2 hours ago, Old Colt said:

On Mike & Grady, on WIBC have discussed with some others including a physician and they said that for someone who would be using the bicep and arm like Andrew, true recovery time is more like 6 to 9 months.  it is basically January and could well put him into missing the start of next season.  That's assuming he is ready or is able to get ready for the season.  Lot's of questions that will need to be answered before the draft now.

Could be they're trying to be dramatic for ratings, but a basic Google search says..

Surgical recovery after a biceps tenodesis is usually about four to six weeks. However, as mentioned earlier, often a tenodesis is performed along with other surgical procedures that may require a more lengthy recovery. If having an isolated tenodesis procedure, the patient can expect to wear a sling for a few weeks.

We obviously aren't Dr's, but I think just from reading the above it would be a long rehab if you had both done at the same time. Luck's shoulder has to be fine by now, if it's simply the bicep relocation, it sounds pretty straight forward and like they said above it's 4-6 weeks.

Mortensen on 1070 with a lot of quotables (tweets from 1070 producer):

"The #ColtsNFL_2017_INDColts_v2.png team doctors didn't do the surgery, Andrew makes the final call and he had it done at Stanford. Andrew Luck made the call so you have to point the finger at him."

"Andrew is known to be very independent. People in the medical community have more questions about Andrew, the way Andrew Luck handled this more than the team, still not absolving the team"

"I'm not saying the surgery was botched, but i'm saying if Andrew is making the decision, you should have picked out 3 or 4 other surgeons if you are a QB or elite athlete. The surgeon is rock solid but not a shoulder specialist."

I don't have the podcast link but these quotes are all here: https://twitter.com/ProducerKyle

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Could be they're trying to be dramatic for ratings, but a basic Google search says..

Surgical recovery after a biceps tenodesis is usually about four to six weeks. However, as mentioned earlier, often a tenodesis is performed along with other surgical procedures that may require a more lengthy recovery. If having an isolated tenodesis procedure, the patient can expect to wear a sling for a few weeks.

We obviously aren't Dr's, but I think just from reading the above it would be a long rehab if you had both done at the same time. Luck's shoulder has to be fine by now, if it's simply the bicep relocation, it sounds pretty straight forward and like they said above it's 4-6 weeks.

Will Carroll, who is regarded as a sportswriter who specializes in the coverage of medical issues, was on with Grady and Big Joe this morning.  He seems to think that Luck would be fine if he had the surgery but he thinks that it's more like 6-9 months for recovery for a person who throws for a living.  He talked about Favre and Elway.  Favre's surgery was a tenotomy which involved releasing the biceps tendon and not reattaching it.  Elway actually snapped his biceps tendon and said he felt better after it snapped.  He also say he called Curt Schilling who had the tenodesis surgery and Schilling told him how difficult the recovery and rehab was and that it ultimately led him to retire.  Luck is much younger so that's a positive that he'd heal up much faster.  

16 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Will Carroll, who is regarded as a sportswriter who specializes in the coverage of medical issues, was on with Grady and Big Joe this morning.  He seems to think that Luck would be fine if he had the surgery but he thinks that it's more like 6-9 months for recovery for a person who throws for a living.  He talked about Favre and Elway.  Favre's surgery was a tenotomy which involved releasing the biceps tendon and not reattaching it.  Elway actually snapped his biceps tendon and said he felt better after it snapped.  He also say he called Curt Schilling who had the tenodesis surgery and Schilling told him how difficult the recovery and rehab was and that it ultimately led him to retire.  Luck is much younger so that's a positive that he'd heal up much faster.  

I heard this too but then I also heard Chris Mortenson on Dakich later in the afternoon refute this and say that the biceps surgery is common place in the league and that it's typically done  in conjunction with a labrum surgery and was surprised that Luck didn't have both done at the same time. I think he mentioned that Brees had the biceps re-attached as part of his complete reconstruction.

29 minutes ago, GusFring said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-show/espns-chris-mortensen-on-the-latest-with-andrew-lu

Said he should've had the biceps procedure when he had the shoulder surgery. And said he went to a hip specialist instead of a shoulder specialist. Good stuff from Mort

I like Mort.  DD not so much.  Get tired of his combative attitude.

I hope Mort is able to overcome his illness.... he sure has a good attitude about it, but didn't seem to want to discuss much about it.

Some of the things he was saying about the procedure make sense.  And he seems relatively knowledgeable about it.

Why would you hire a potato farmer to grow grapes for your winery?    Just saying.   

Perhaps having a surgeon more known for his work in hip repair wasn't the best choice to handle rebuilding the throwing shoulder of a NFL QB.  

I am really confused why they wouldn't have done the tendon procedure during the surgery if it is "common practice".  Too much unknown and I think it IS fair to point fingers at AL.  At least until he visits the podium and gives us some info...

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I hope Mort is able to overcome his illness.... he sure has a good attitude about it, but didn't seem to want to discuss much about it.

Some of the things he was saying about the procedure make sense.  And he seems relatively knowledgeable about it.

Why would you hire a potato farmer to grow grapes for your winery?    Just saying.   

Perhaps having a surgeon more known for his work in hip repair wasn't the best choice to handle rebuilding the throwing shoulder of a NFL QB.  

I am really confused why they wouldn't have done the tendon procedure during the surgery if it is "common practice".  Too much unknown and I think it IS fair to point fingers at AL.  At least until he visits the podium and gives us some info...

He said he used a good doctor,  but that he's a hip specialist. James Andrews he is not

10 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

A lot of this stuff mort said doesn’t make sense. I quoted a lot of this interview and theinjuryexpert on Twitter let me know that most of this just isn’t the case. No one has yet to come back from this surgery in the NFL. It is not common to move the tendon at time of surgery. 

52 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

A lot of this stuff mort said doesn’t make sense. I quoted a lot of this interview and theinjuryexpert on Twitter let me know that most of this just isn’t the case. No one has yet to come back from this surgery in the NFL. It is not common to move the tendon at time of surgery. 

I don't know much about the surgery and I sure as heck don't know who the injury expert on twitter is but I do know that Mort is pretty credible.  

We will see what happens.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'm so sick of all this Andrew Luck injury stuff.  I just wish it would all go away and we could get the kid back.

Hopefully he is able to throw without pain when he tests his shoulder out in January or so.  Then maybe he and the team can move forward and continue the rebuild around him.  Even in that scenario though, I still have an uneasiness that something could reoccur later down the road that requires the surgery anyway.

In my opinion, if he has to go under the knife again for the bicep surgery then I fear his days in Indy might be numbered.  That would be too much fiddling around with the man's shoulder/arm and potentially two seasons wasted. It's hard to imagine that scenario resulting in a happy ending for Colts fans.