Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Improving Defense Could Be Bad For The Colts

King Colt

Simple truth in football-when the defense does it's job while the offense continuously does not then a wall goes up between the two and their have been many, many cases where it got real serious and that is not good. The Colts defense today and on other days has been stout and looks to be improving. Not so the offense that is as impotent as it is predictable. First down-Gore run. Second down-Gore run. Third down-pass.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Not so the offense that is as impotent as it is predictable. First down-Gore run. Second down-Gore run. Third down-pass.

I wouldn't worry about the predictability.  None of the coaches making those decisions will be here in a few months.

33 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Not so the offense that is as impotent as it is predictable. First down-Gore run. Second down-Gore run. Third down-pass.

It seemed like they got away from the run in the second half.  In the first half when they were running the ball more, they seemed to have at least a little bit of success.  Not sure if the stats back that up or not, but that is how it felt in real time.

Just now, JCPatriot said:

It seemed like they got away from the run in the second half.  In the first half when they were running the ball more, they seemed to have at least a little bit of success.  Not sure if the stats back that up or not, but that is how it felt in real time.

Gore at one point was 9 for 40 yards and later on he was 16 for 51 they started shutting down the runs up the middle *shocker*

25 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

It doesn’t matter what’s happening right now. The new head coach will change this team. Can’t say whether it’ll be for the better or not but this team will be different next yr

FS: HOOKER

SS: GEATHERS

CB: MELVIN

CB: WILSON

NICKEL: HAIRSTON

ILBS: different

OLBS: SHEARD, SIMON

LINE: SAME

truthfully I don't see too much change we have a foundation in place just gotta start building around it while the foundation solidifies

4 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

truthfully I don't see too much change we have a foundation in place just gotta start building around it while the foundation solidifies

Melvin is a FA. Not a given that he will be back next season. 

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

I dont disagree but I wouldnt say its a foregone conclusion that he will 100% be back. 

Same here nothing is foresure and i wont be crying if he isnt brought back but creating more holes is just never a good thing we will see in a few months til then Go Colts!

24 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

I mean Attitude wise!! Not player wise 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

If there's anyone who's "proud" of the group play of the defense, they need to check the scoreboard (or stats, they're not even a middle of the road unit).

They only gave up 13 points to the Steelers....  don't know what more you wanted from them

D played very well today until we go prevent at end of half and end of game.....  which is poor coaching and game management by Pagknuckelhead 

8 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

They only gave up 13 points to the Steelers....  don't know what more you wanted from them

D played very well today until we go prevent at end of half and end of game.....  which is poor coaching and game management by Pagknuckelhead 

The Steelers played a lame game as much as anything, but when they needed a play, they got it- and what's more is that it was almost predictable. The zone stuff doesn't work, when you've got LB's who can't really cover the soft spot between them and the safeties.

1 hour ago, lance_m8 said:

How he has played and the foundation starting to be built on the D I feel CB will bring him back unless he is searching for big money 

Desir is a FA also.  He needs to bring both back.  They are playing lights out and need to get paid.  If we don't someone will.  Wilson is going to have a hard time unseating either one.  He is a backup and so far isn't putting the work in to even get activated most games.   Our corners are set and hopefully our safeties.  The OL is the big problem.  And we need a new feature back.  Mack is not the answer.  If he was he should have supplanted Gore by now.  

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

If there's anyone who's "proud" of the group play of the defense, they need to check the scoreboard (or stats, they're not even a middle of the road unit).

When you properly allow for 9 new starters needing time to learn the system and how to play together,
 at this time i won't at all be shocked if they are Middle of the Road over the 2nd half of the season.
  And that does matter TO ME.  lol

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Simple truth in football-when the defense does it's job while the offense continuously does not then a wall goes up between the two and their have been many, many cases where it got real serious and that is not good. The Colts defense today and on other days has been stout and looks to be improving. Not so the offense that is as impotent as it is predictable. First down-Gore run. Second down-Gore run. Third down-pass.

i concur

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The Steelers played a lame game as much as anything, but when they needed a play, they got it- and what's more is that it was almost predictable. The zone stuff doesn't work, when you've got LB's who can't really cover the soft spot between them and the safeties.

i concur

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Desir is a FA also.  He needs to bring both back.  They are playing lights out and need to get paid.  If we don't someone will.  Wilson is going to have a hard time unseating either one.  He is a backup and so far isn't putting the work in to even get activated most games.   Our corners are set and hopefully our safeties.  The OL is the big problem.  And we need a new feature back.  Mack is not the answer.  If he was he should have supplanted Gore by now.  

I thought Desir defended very well against Tom Savage.
 He got beat over and over in the 2nd half today, when PITT woke up.
 I do look forward to seeing what he has.

59 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

how many games have we lost this season when we to a prevent a colts win defense

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Where do you come up with this stuff??

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

There's no reason for a wall go up between offensive and defensive players.     Our defense is still poorly ranked.   It's improving and that's great.     But let's not pretend this is a great defense yet.      Remember,  our defense has cost us a number of wins this year.    And the offense didn't finger-point at them.

The players know everyone is trying.    That's part of being in a team game and being a good teammate.

This is just one of those years.     And if you're on this team,  then your mind needs to be focused on doing well,  so you're either on the team next year,   or on another roster.

There's no reason to worry about this scenario.    This team isn't at that level yet.    And we're not close.

With the 2017 defensive starters being new for the most part my OP was suggesting if they do gel in to a good defense it would be a negative if the offense does not sign on. Very simple. The OL problem is still not resolved and if it does not get resolved the defense is left holding the bag. This is based on the idea that the defense does continue to improve. 

Sorry...I want to continue to see our young defense improve.  Improved defensive play bodes well for the future.  We all know the offense is wanting.  It won't create a wall between our D & offense.  Luck isn't in there so that should be understood.  It's on our coaching staff to figure out a way to win these games by playing to our strengths.  Thus far they have been largely unsuccessful because they are not adept at making the necessary second half adjustments.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

he is not a shut down corner

Maybe not shut down but hands down our best corner if we can get Wilson on the field and desire as the backup with hairston in the nickel I feel confident with that group of corners if we can find the right scheme