It shouldn't have been that hard

VaAllDay757

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We won by scoring more points is there a different way? Yes we can always play better. If we would have been aggressive and let this game get away with our QB that still doesn't have the whole play book.  How loud would the We should have won by more group have been yelling about how stupid the coaches are? 

I get the feeling regardless what happened some people would not be pleased. 

Colts win that's what mattered today. Just get the W

I think it's okay to enjoy the win and still be critical of the play calling. It's not being "displeased" it's understanding that there is so much involved in the game of football -- much more than just "did we win this week"? Of course, a win is the main goal, but there is also a big picture that goes beyond just one week and one game.

We scored 28 points in the first half and only 3 in the second half. We won because of a balanced attack in that first half and then turned away from it. I see this as a coaching issue. That's my main beef here. I don't trust Pagano and Co. to give us a legitimate shot at winning by being so conservative.

We just scored 31 points and got a win with a backup QB that's been here for 2 darn weeks and we are still trying to throw the coaches under the bus. Pittsburgh and Baltimore couldn't even put up that many points with their starting QBs and yet Chuck is the one who screws everything up? So the coaching staff doesnt get any credit for the 31 points? Man I swear we just lost. Second half could have been a little better but its like some of you just make up any little perceived mid step by the guy and magnify it by 10.

We played in the 3rd quarter the way you play in the 4th quarter to run the clock down. You don’t do that. 

Apparently Chud and Chuck feel differently. If we had lost again due to being conservative for 30 minutes, it would have hit the fan hard. The defense played well enough that we could have kept our foot on the gas and moved the ball. Instead we gained 2-3 yards every possession and allowed our defense to tire out. 

Just now, krunk said:

We just scored 31 points with a backup QB that's been here for 2 darn weeks and we are still trying to throw the coaches under the bus. Pittsburgh and Baltimore couldn't even put up that many points with their starting QBs and yet Chuck is the one who screws everything up?

You are right....definitely props to Pagano and Co. for the great first half. Without that, we would've lost. 

Me in particular, I am not blaming Pagano for the outcome of this game, especially since we won. Congrats to him. However, I do think it's fine to criticize how they approached the play calling in the second half. 

Well listen I liked the play calling in the first half.

Second half, yeah we absolutely went way to conservative...but if the Colts kept on slinging it down field and Brissett throws some picks/the offense stalls constantly, would we not be yelling at the coaches for being too aggressive? Remember, Brissett has still only been here 3 weeks. He's still new to the team and his timing with the receivers/Offensive line isn't perfect. 

Also, the score was 31-14 with 9 minutes left when CLE started rallying. Is that not the perfect time to start running the ball a ton? Now constant runs up the middle where our offensive line couldn't create any space is obviously dumb, but running the ball at that point I don't think is being "too conservative".

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

We played in the 3rd quarter the way you play in the 4th quarter to run the clock down. You don’t do that. 

Apparently Chud and Chuck feel differently. If we had lost again due to being conservative for 30 minutes, it would have hit the fan hard. The defense played well enough that we could have kept our foot on the gas and moved the ball. Instead we gained 2-3 yards every possession and allowed our defense to tire out. 

I would like to think if we had Luck we wouldn't of done that. With Brissett more cautious was the approach

We should've dominated? We're 0-2, playing with a backup QB, a bunch of injuries, and Pagano is still our HC. The Colts aren't in a position right now to dominant anyone. We beat the Browns by 3 points in a game we were up 28-7 at one point. We got comfortable and let our foot of the peddle. If we lost, people would be asking for Pagano's head.

People keep blaming the play calling, but on the good teams it's usually the defense that makes a play or gets a three and out to step on the opposition's throat.  Up 3 TDs, if the defense makes a play or gets a 3 and out before half, the game is over.  

Also, Brissett has only been here three weeks, so I somewhat understand playing not to lose in the second half.  They're using just a fraction of the playbook.  They also kept getting penalties on early downs and getting behind the chains.

5 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Browns made some fine half time adjustments defensively. The Colts, as usual, played right into their hands and evidently felt they didn't need to show up for the second half. We can just expect this with a Pagano led team. We will just be surprised when this doesn't happen...

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Second half, yeah we absolutely went way to conservative...but if the Colts kept on slinging it down field and Brissett throws some picks/the offense stalls constantly, would we not be yelling at the coaches for being too aggressive? Remember, Brissett has still only been here 3 weeks. He's still new to the team and his timing with the receivers/Offensive line isn't perfect. 

exactly.  

we cant expect this team to blow people out every week.  its going to be ugly with luck, kelly and vontae out

brissett has talent, but we cant ask him to do everything by his third week

38 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Although we won this game just makes me want Chuck gone even more.  His teams seem to get outplayed after halftime often. Chuck seems to lack the ability to adjust well mid game. 

Chuck gets too conservative sometimes. It almost cost us the game. Glad we won, but a lot of terrible football was played the last 9 minutes or so.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would like to think if we had Luck we wouldn't of done that. With Brissett more cautious was the approach

With Luck we put up 50 on that team. Would have been just like the Minn game from last year. I have no doubt we remain aggressive. With where we are at right now I will take however I can get it. I think we could have scored more but I ain't ready to hang nobody. We Won

1 hour ago, Bleedin Blue said:

When you have the lead, you run the ball to shorten the game clock.  Problem is you need to be able to run the ball... 

This team is still not consistent there and this is what happens.

Agree 100%. The Colts O-line is not what it needs to be. Hopefully when Kelly returns it will improve.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

The play calling was very conservative in the second half but I kind of don't blame the coaching staff. You don't want to do what Atlanta almost did today and start throwing pick sixes trying to be aggressive with a lead.

But it's not like that throw to a slant they was playing off most of the game and they was blitzing crazy that would've simple to maintain

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Offense was really bad in the second half.  Play calling on O was just bad, toward the end.  Example ... 2:03 left in the game, first and 10 Colts.  Predictably bad run up the middle.  In my opinion, there was nothing to gain by this play.  The clock is stopping for the 2 minute warning, so it’s not like there is any benefit from a running the clock standpoint.  The play call was just horribly predictable and of course, effectively defensed.

What I would like to have seen on that first down is a play action high percentage, low risk pass play.  Browns were not expecting a pass and a pass could have given a legitimate shot at a game winning first down.  And if it’s incomplete, it doesn’t matter because the clock is stopping, regardless, because of the two minut warning.   There is just SO much to gain with a little offensive aggression, there, with virtually nothing to lose.  

Ergo, yet another example of unimaginative, crappy play calling, which once again put the outcome of a game in jeopardy.

Glad we won, but horrified how a well in hand victory turned into just barely eeked survival.  Bad.

Remember the first play (pass) play in OT last week?  The OC took turnovers out of his hands and decided to chew clock with RB's, not scrambles and incompletions/interceptions late in the game.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

At this point I really don't give a damn. I will take that win and clean up the mistakes as we Celebrate. If we can get things a little tighter in the secondary I see some promise.

Here the thing they wont be cleaned up how many times did pagano do this to the colts. Up by a big lead and then slow down. He an *

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Brissett is a bad boy to me. Gonna be a real good player. Actually hes pretty good now. And I love that he takes care of the football.

He didn't the first play in OT last week.  Chud literally took turnovers out of his hands much of the last 10 minutes of the game. Pound Frank gore, chew clock, rinse, repeat; make opposition use up all their timeouts.  It worked as the Browns were forced to onside kick when they scored to get within 3 points. 

4 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Understood. We won the game.

The discussion is whether we could have played better or differently --mainly, less conservatively. I think most people on the Forum are happy about the win but not how we won. It shouldn't have been that close.

You don't get an extra  win for winning by 30