Who likes a challenge? Defend Pagano

Myles

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

He has been the problem for a long time.  Yesterday did surprise me.  Just  more of what we have seen for years.  Poor decisions ,  lack of decisions, and not willing to make adjustments or making the wrong adjustments.  

Don't forget the team was unprepared to play yesterday. I thought he learned from the previous seasons, but he must be a real slow learner.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

That was a ridiculous call by the ref anyways.

I thought so too.   But it didn't bother me (or the announcers) because it was obviously going to be overturned.   

I can almost here the Colts yelling at Pagano - WAIT! WAIT!

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure I can anymore. 

I'm still flabbergasted by that rushed call to avoid the Mack TD.  

It's getting pretty hard to defend him. I think he gets some unfair treatment, but overall it's leaning to the wrong side. 

For me, the straw that broke the camels back is the Tolzien fiasco. I can't get past that kind of incompetence. 

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I thought so too.   But it didn't bother me (or the announcers) because it was obviously going to be overturned.   

I can almost here the Colts yelling at Pagano - WAIT! WAIT!

Why didn't the refs buzz to have it reviewed not just pagano the refs also should have reviewed it to make sure and if they had they would have had to reverse it to a touchdown.

If I am owner, I give this mess four games to right itself.  If it's more of the same during that time, then I make an immediate change and those retained know they are coaching for their employment lives.  If the status quo continues, honestly, I think Pagano's continued presence becomes a distraction.  It would be better to just move on right away, so the focus is back on the games themselves, instead of the lame duck coach.

If things partially right themselves, over the next four games, then I wait for the end of the season to then fire the HC and begin the search for a competent coach / coaching staff.

I was floored when The Governor (Irsay) stayed Pagano's execution last season.  Everybody in that locker room knows he's a dead man walking, and their play reflects that.

He's a heck of a nice guy, and a good role model for somebody that is battling a serious illness (ie cancer), but him as a coach leaves a whole lot to be desired.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why didn't the refs buzz to have it reviewed not just pagano the refs also should have reviewed it to make sure and if they had they would have had to reverse it to a touchdown.

I'm not sure of the rules.   Can the refs call for a review at any time?    I thought only scoring plays.   

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Refs called him out of bounds.  It was a non scoring play as called, so no automatic review.  A review would have to be via a coach's challenge.

1 minute ago, MR. Blueblood said:

He's a heck of a nice guy, and a good role model for somebody that is battling a serious illness (ie cancer), but him as a coach leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I think enough time has passed so that we don't have to keep him because he fought leukemia.  I understood when Arians was allowed to leave.   Would have been a PR nightmare if we would have kept Arians instead.  

Just now, Myles said:

I think enough time has passed so that we don't have to keep him because he fought leukemia.  I understood when Arians was allowed to leave.   Would have been a PR nightmare if we would have kept Arians instead.  

You'll get no arguments from me over this statement.

I really thought Irsay would let Ballard be the guy to pull the trigger on Pagano so he didn't have to be "mean" one.  I still can't get behind any logic that thinks Pagano staying on was a good decision for this team.

All I can say is this team clearly still lacks enough talent to be a good team and four of maybe his five best players are out due to injury.

With that said he's not using the talent he does have to their best abilities and outside of Luck and maybe TY they don't show much signs of improvement under him.

There are also other flaws that have been discussed in the past including clock management, being prepared, lack of team discipline, not being aggressive enough, and not using challenges right, to have a very clear case that a change should be made.

I think Pagano was kept this season for either one three reasons or some combination of them:

1.  Irsay didn't want to admit he got it completely wrong in 2012 in terms of hiring.

2.  To give Pagano a chance to prove Grigson's micro management was the problem.

3.  They didn't want to waste a rebuilding year on a new coach.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

All I can say is this team clearly still lacks enough talent to be a good team.

With that said he's not using the talent he does have to their best abilities and outside of Luck and maybe TY they don't show much signs of improvement under him.

There are also other flaws that have been discussed in the past including clock management, being prepared, lack of team discipline, not being aggressive enough, and not using challenges right, to have a very clear case that a change should be made.

I think Pagano was kept this season for either one three reasons or some combination of them:

1.  Irsay didn't want to admit he got it completely wrong in 2012 in terms of hiring.

2.  To give Pagano a chance to prove Grigson's micro management was the problem.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Say the new coach or the new DC that gets hired by the new coach doesn't want to play a 3-4 D, and now you've spent a draft and FA period bringing in players that might not fit going back to a 4-3.

Now you've wasted this past "rebuilding year" in order to start from square one again in next years "rebuild"

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

All I can say is this team clearly still lacks enough talent to be a good team and four of maybe his five best players are out due to injury.

That's the way I see it too. Sounds logical to me. 

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

My guess is that Pagano was kept because Irsay hadn't find yet a serviceable coach  for the HC position. According to some rumors Colts reached out possible candidates last 2 years. Other than that I agree with point 2.) and 3.) 

3 minutes ago, MR. Blueblood said:

You'll get no arguments from me over this statement.

I really thought Irsay would let Ballard be the guy to pull the trigger on Pagano so he didn't have to be "mean" one.  I still can't get behind any logic that thinks Pagano staying on was a good decision for this team.

Nice guys finish last. Irsay is responsible for Grigson who ultimately failed.

Of course i believe Irsay's Mentoring hands were all over the Disastrous Richardson, Werner moves. And likely more.

Now we can finish worse than my previous 6-10 prediction and draft us a STUD, or two, or three.
  Keep Chuck as long as ya can Jimmy, and keep starting Painter, uh i mean Tolzien at least until our Great center gets back fully healthy, then Lucky can stand behind Your line. :omg:           Yeeehaaa Go Colts.

Just now, coltsva said:

Our 6th year head coach said "we were out coached" by a 31 year old rookie coach. I know it's coach speak and him taking the hit for his players, but sadly, it is true.

Well it's easy to get out coached when you think you are playing the 49ers but really it's the Rams...

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Nice guys finish last. Irsay is responsible for Grigson who ultimately failed.

Of course i believe Irsay's Mentoring hands were all over the Disastrous Richardson, Werner moves. And likely more.

Now we can finish worse than my previous 6-10 prediction and draft us a STUD, or two, or three.
  Keep Chuck as long as ya can Jimmy, and keep starting Painter, uh i mean Tolzien at least until our Great center gets back fully healthy, then Lucky can stand behind Your line. :omg:           Yeeehaaa Go Colts.

IDK, personally, I think Irsay learned from his run as GM and for the most part stays out of that part of it.  Irsay, I'm sure, gives the ultimate approval, but I think he would've let Grigson do anything he wanted especially coming off of his EOTY award in 2012.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well it's easy to get out coached when you think you are playing the 49ers but really it's the Rams...

That one was hard to digest. LOL. 

I still cannot believe he even said that.

It kind of reminded me of the Vontae interview when he called Manning, by name of Brady. However, I didn't laugh as much this time. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

That one was hard to digest. LOL. 

I still cannot believe he even said that.

It kind of reminded me of the Vontae interview when he called Manning, by name of Brady. However, I didn't laugh as much this time. 

Yep, big difference between winning a game against a really good team with a Colts legend at QB and getting obliterated by the Rams

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My thinking used to go something like this: at least the team fights for him..

I've changed my mind. He has no clout now. The team fights for Luck, because he's the guy that gives the team faith they can win- not Pagano.

Thanks Fish. That has been my kudos for Chuck. Yes, i think i missed the obvious.
  So many bad GM moves to support him certainly. But he will move on.

I think Ballard has been stealth tanking and sabotaging Pagano. There is no other way to explain why we started the season with Tolzien under center. He traded for a QB just long enough before the start of the season so the new QB wouldn't be ready to start and so he can still say "Well I traded for a QB"... i think he's also been making moves that are clearly with an eye to the future of the team, not the present. The new QB, the punter/kicker the snapper... waiving vets across the Dline and O-line in favor of rookies who have future upside but are currently not up to par, etc.

Don't mistake this for me thinking Pagano has anything to do with good coaching. I think he's a horrible coach. People have said before they think he's average. I don't agree... I think he's straight up bad... but he hasn't really been put in a position to succeed right now with the injuries and the roster we got.

Also, don't mistake this for me disapproving of what Ballard is doing - I think we should be looking toward the future and not the present. This season was never about competing for a SB. This season was about getting young players and developing them for the future.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm still flabbergasted by that rushed call to avoid the Mack TD.

I think that play completely changed the game.  The Colts had a little momentum going and had a chance to keep the game close.  Good play by Mack, but mistakes by the refs and then the Colts coaches ruined the drive.  They still had a chance from the goalline and came out with 3 WRs instead of a Goalline offense...  Was it any surprise they couldn't punch it in from the SHOTGUN formation? 

:facepalm:

The Colts probably weren't going to overcome Tolzien throwing a pick-six TWICE, but that play took any momentum from the Colts and gave it all to LA.

Didn't Vinatieri miss his first FG attempt of the season, too? ...  eesh  It was like we were stuck in quick-sand the whole game.

:Gaah: