Colts Training Camp 7/31/17

TKnight24

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, krunk said:

How in the span of 1 day do you go from being one of the top stand outs from yesterdays practice (Mack) to "Oh No he's worse than we thought" by the next practice just because of pecking order?  Come guys relax, you're panicking way too early.   Jeesh!

Exactly.  Besides, these guys aren't even in pads yet!  After a few physical padded practices where the rubber meets the road, let's see what is beginning to transpire.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

This has to be a satire post right?  You are mocking the myriad of people on here who make ridiculous jumps to conclusions based on little to zero actual information?  

I just can't believe anyone would make a serious post like this on July 31st after 2 practices.

You're the smart one.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I really hope Dorsett proves himself this season. He could be such a great weapon with precise route-running. Then we would have a speedy TY, big redzone targets in Moncrief, Doyle, and Swoope, and a deep threat in Dorsett. Offense would be so well rounded in the passing game. 

I hope you are right for sure.

The key is getting good blocking from the O-line before all this can happen. Getting a decent running game would also help.

29 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

What about his post was valid 

My interpretation was just that he believes those will be the three types of responses we would see from the forum in general to the news that Ferguson is higher on the depth chart than Mack on the second day of camp. I believe he was simply pointing out the reactionary nature of the fan base. He was definitely not advocating for option C, that the coaches are simply clueless, as a number of people implied he meant. 

FTR the most likely reason Ferguson is ahead of Mack is just that he has a year of experience, and it's Mack's second day on the job. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Mack wouldn't last a 2nd in the PS. And hasn't Ferguson surpassed the maximum number of games that can be played because he was on the 53 for the entire season.

I agree. If another team offered him a contract he would be gone just for money's sake. Who could blame him if it came down to that?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

How in the span of 1 day do you go from being one of the top stand outs from yesterdays practice (Mack) to "Oh No he's worse than we thought" by the next practice just because of pecking order?  Come guys relax, you're panicking way too early.   Jeesh!

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I feel as though people forget how football/training camp works every year.

You think this is bad?  Wait until the Colts go 0-4 or 1-3 in the preseason and people say the season is over

53 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Gotta disagree with Holder on Dorsett.  Draft slot does matter .  If JaMarcus Russell, Trent Richardson, or Ryan Leaf were Mr. Irrelevants, no one would care.  But they were top 3 picks.  A 7th round pick being a flop is insignificant.  A 1st round pick being a flop is a bust.  Draft slot matters when you're looking at what to expect from a player.  I expect a first round pick to contribute a lot, especially after a few years in the league.  If a 7th round pick can become a decent special teams player, I'd be fine with that.

Right now in day #2 of training camp I would not be freaking out about what spot Mack is in.  You have guys that will start to get more reps when the pads are on and the real depth chart will iron itself out.  It is a little early for anyone to freak out.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Gotta disagree with Holder on Dorsett.  Draft slot does matter .  If JaMarcus Russell, Trent Richardson, or Ryan Leaf were Mr. Irrelevants, no one would care.  But they were top 3 picks.  A 7th round pick being a flop is insignificant.  A 1st round pick being a flop is a bust.  Draft slot matters when you're looking at what to expect from a player.  I expect a first round pick to contribute a lot, especially after a few years in the league.  If a 7th round pick can become a decent special teams player, I'd be fine with that.

True, but even then, Dorsett wasn't taken in the top 5, he was taken at 29 overall. That's a world of difference.

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

It is not the 2nd day as the Mack and others have been under observation for several weeks. IF and its a big IF, Ferguson is ahead of Mack on the depth chart then that is really bad news.

From what I saw of Mack on Sunday it has to be because of pass protection, he looked good running and catching, but that can not be said for his pass protection...on one play in particular he was completely lost and he ended the play facing the QB, like he was going to sack him...it was real ugly...and the few other times he was in pass protection it was not much better.

6 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

It is not the 2nd day as the Mack and others have been under observation for several weeks. IF and its a big IF, Ferguson is ahead of Mack on the depth chart then that is really bad news.

I wouldn't say it's bad news, Ferguson is just more familiar with the playbook because he's been on the team longer. Pads go on tomorrow, so after a couple practices with contact, the picture will be a little clearer.

10 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

There's no depth chart. Also, it could mean Ferguson has been outstanding. 

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

You have to evaluate the player based on what he can do on the field, not where he was drafted. If you drafted a guy thinking he'd be a star contributor, but he winds up being a role player, you don't have to hang his draft slot over his head for the rest of his career. It does no good. If Dorsett winds up being a quality #3 receiver, that's not what you hoped for when you drafted him, but you don't cut him just because he didn't live up to his draft slot. 

At a certain point, you have to move on from the past and evaluate honestly. 

Edit: This is why Alex Smith is a long time starter and makes $17m/year, even though he didn't live up to his draft slot and has been far surpassed by Aaron Rodgers. 

4 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I really hope Dorsett proves himself this season. He could be such a great weapon with precise route-running. Then we would have a speedy TY, big redzone targets in Moncrief, Doyle, and Swoope, and a deep threat in Dorsett. Offense would be so well rounded in the passing game. 

What's the news on Aiken? I haven't heard one thing about it and I wasn't able to make it to the open practice. Is he listed at the No. 5 WR behind rogers and Dorsett? 

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

You have to evaluate the player based on what he can do on the field, not where he was drafted. If you drafted a guy thinking he'd be a star contributor, but he winds up being a role player, you don't have to hang his draft slot over his head for the rest of his career. It does no good. If Dorsett winds up being a quality #3 receiver, that's not what you hoped for when you drafted him, but you don't cut him just because he didn't live up to his draft slot. 

Edit: This is why Alex Smith is a long time starter and makes $17m/year, even though he didn't live up to his draft slot and has been far surpassed by Aaron Rodgers. 

So true, especially that last part. Smith hasn't been Peyton #1 pick good, but he became a solid starting nfl qb regardless of where he was drafted. 

Same as folks complaining about Kelly's value as a C in the first round. Who cares, at least the pick is producing SOMETHING. The league is littered with first rd busts.

55 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Its not bad news if its true after 2 days.

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

What's the news on Aiken? I haven't heard one thing about it and I wasn't able to make it to the open practice. Is he listed at the No. 5 WR behind rogers and Dorsett? 

I think he is 5th in line during individual drills. It goes TY, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rodgers, Aiken. I think he is still learning the playbook, all can change during the next few weeks up to week 1. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Absolutely.  I'm not saying we should cut him or he's the bust of the century.  I still think he's being utilized improperly by the coaching staff and has some potential to work with, so this isn't an anti-Dorsett thing.  But using draft slots when analyzing players is very common and valid, in my opinion.  You don't cut a guy because he's underperforming as a first round pick.  But you do sometimes see comments like "our first round pick is being outperformed by an undrafted player", for example.

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Absolutely.  I'm not saying we should cut him or he's the bust of the century.  I still think he's being utilized improperly by the coaching staff and has some potential to work with, so this isn't an anti-Dorsett thing.  But using draft slots when analyzing players is very common and valid, in my opinion.  You don't cut a guy because he's underperforming as a first round pick.  But you do sometimes see comments like "our first round pick is being outperformed by an undrafted player", for example.

I think we all know he wasn't a good draft pick. I don't see why he need to have an asterisk attached to his name. It's Year 3. He should be judged on his merits alone, IMO, not 'Dorsett looks pretty good, but he's still not performing like a first rounder.' 

Also, not saying you're saying this, but Rogers isn't outperforming Dorsett. Anyone thinking that he is has fallen under the same spell you're talking about, judging players based on their draft status rather than on what they're accomplishing on the field. I will admit, however, Rogers was on the field for 360 fewer snaps than Dorsett, and that's probably related to his draft status. 

Why is anyone surprised that Ferguson is still here?        Seriously.....

The biggest improvement typically comes between the first and second year, and that's where Ferguson is right now.      What good would it do to have Ballard cut him even before training camp.

None of this means he makes the team.    Or stays on the 53 man roster for the entire season.

People here are trying way to hard to read way too much into way too little.    

Ferguson should be here now.    So should Morrison.     Ballard would look foolish if he cut them before camp and they got picked up by another team (which they would) and they turned into decent players.     That's not as far fetched as it would seem.....

Let the process play out.     We'll all have a better idea in a month.....