Sean Spence signed

gnet550

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

"A third-round pick by the Steelers in 2012, Spence suffered a catastrophic knee injury in a preseason game in 2012. He tore his left ACL and LCL, dislocated the kneecap and reportedly damaged the nerve that helps control movement in the lower leg."

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/LB-Sean-Spence-Endured-Some-Dark-Days-on-Road-to-Titans/a0d5c479-66f3-42a2-8cc1-ac47582ee9e5

Wow, that's a heck of an injury.  

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Id say unlikely now as Spence is a WILL ILB, just like Brown. We could still sign him too but I think Ballard is probably finished with FA LBer's.

I agree. Looks to me that Ballard was "luke warm" with a bunch of FA players this year and Brown was probably one of them. 

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm telling ya. I think he can break out and be a 3 down ILB for us. Maybe this offseason we've signed a few of the "gems".

It's a much needed shakeup.  If you hit on just one or two of them, if one or two of these players exceed expectations, you're a better team.  And there is nothing to lose.  The defense can't get any worse.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I agree. Looks to me that Ballard was "luke warm" with a bunch of FA players this year and Brown was probably one of them. 

Probably the thing I like most about Ballard and this signing is he actually is looking at guys that can cover at ILB. Under Grigson none of our ILB's (DQ, Morrison, McNary, Irving, Freeman, Jackson, Moore) were noted for being good in space and in coverage. TE's just abused us.   

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

1 year- 3million....don't know much about him...but at least we got someone lol need zach brown now!

Unfortunately this probably is it for free agent ILBs...so I doubt we sign Zach Brown now. 

Ballard looks bent on pinching pennies in a year when the Colts actually had some money to spend to add at least one to two real play makers to this roster via free agency in addition to the draft.   Hope this approach pans out...he better kill this draft.  We have a linebacker core full of mostly solid backup types.  

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

Probably the thing I like most about Ballard and this signing is he actually is looking at guys that can cover at ILB. Under Grigson none of our ILB's (DQ, Morrison, McNary, Irving, Freeman, Jackson, Moore) were noted for being good in space and in coverage. TE's just abused us.   

Grigson should have been fired midseason for what he put on the field at LB last year. 

25 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Kinda funny how Ballard isn't really trying that hard to go after the big name free agents. IG he was right when he said that he wanted to "raise his own". Good signing. I just hope with the Colts "luck" over the past two years, that  these signings don't turn out to be flops or failures. 

They could very well turn out to be flops, but imo its not a huge deal because its not like we are throwing outrageous amounts of money at free agents like we did in years past.

25 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think Jackson flashed enough to be a pretty good favorite for the final 53. Morrison could end up on the practice squad ?

I think you're mis-using the word "flashed". Jackson didn't flash anything. He made some plays. So did Morrison, so did Chapman at one point, etc....Jackson isn't anything special. He's battling to make the team as a STs member and rotational LB. 

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Unfortunately this probably is it for free agent ILBs...so I doubt we sign Zach Brown now. 

Ballard looks bent on pinching pennies in a year when the Colts actually had some money to spend to add at least one to two real play makers to this roster via free agency in addition to the draft.   Hope this approach pans out...he better kill this draft.  We have a linebacker core full of mostly solid backup types.  

You do know that there are other teams trying to sign players too, right?  Ballard said he won't just throw money at players and not every potential contract offer gets leaked. We don't know every player they were targeting.  

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you're mis-using the word "flashed". Jackson didn't flash anything. He made some plays. So did Morrison, so did Chapman at one point, etc....Jackson isn't anything special. He's battling to make the team as a STs member and rotational LB. 

I guess if he makes the final 53 , I'll be right and you'll be wrong ? I didn't say or infer that he was anything special. Just said that I think he showed some signs of developing into a player that can make a roster and contribute... correct ? I promise to revisit it regardless of who turns out to be right. 

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard looks bent on pinching pennies in a year when the Colts actually had some money to spend 

He tried to pay Poe and showed interest in other higher priced free agents early on.  This probably is the model he prefers to follow, but if it's the right player, it doesn't appear he's opposed to opening the wallet.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

FWIW:

Sean Spence's PFF grade is 74.0

At the very least, a 3rd down ILB for coverage reasons and probably breathers for Antonio Morrison who seems more like a 2 down ILB possibility now. If our DC can get creative, I think we have enough bodies to mix and match on D, IMO, at least at the safety and LB positions.

The only reason I feel costs are being kept down is he is saving it for 1, just 1 big signing, whether it is on the CB front or NT front.

15 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Tough issue for Ballard I think . All those "real players" went for huge money. 12 mill for the best guard . 14 mill for the best CB's. Remember two that a few of those better players were never really in the market and resigned with their old teams. If he didn't absolutely "love" those few real "playmakers" in this FA class , I think he was right to not sign them . 

3 minutes ago, Everyone said:

You do know that there are other teams trying to sign players too, right?  Ballard said he won't just throw money at players and not every potential contract offer gets leaked. We don't know every player they were targeting.  

This is true.  I still was hoping for a better free agent haul.  Would have like Zach Brown here over Spence for instance.  And yes I know that Ballard was very clear that he would not be trying to buy a locker room so to speak.  I will wait to see how the draft plays out and to see how all of our acquisitions look on the field next season.  This rebuild will take a couple of years...at least.

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Tough issue for Ballard I think . All those "real players" went for huge money. 12 mill for the best guard . 14 mill for the best CB's. Remember two that a few of those better players were never really in the market and resigned with their old teams. If he didn't absolutely "love" those few real "playmakers" in this FA class , I think he was right to not sign them . 

Good point.  I really had my eyes set on that pass rusher for the Chargers as the free agent period approached but he never even made it to the market.  Hopefully the draft is fruitful for us.

I see this as a fall back signing after losing Minter.  We signed him quickly after losing Minter and we did not want to lose him too.  He does increase the competition but he appears to be a situational player to be used on passing downs.  If we saw him as anything more we would have given him a longer deal IMO. I haven't read where he was only looking for a short term deal. 

25 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I guess if he makes the final 53 , I'll be right and you'll be wrong ? I didn't say or infer that he was anything special. Just said that I think he showed some signs of developing into a player that can make a roster and contribute... correct ? I promise to revisit it regardless of who turns out to be right. 

I'm just saying that when you use the word  "flashed" it implies that he was really special. Jackson isn't a lock for the 53. He's on the cusp with a new GM that doesn't share Grigson's old philosophies.

I can see this as a potentially good signing. The guy seems to be on an ascending trajectory coming off that horrible injury.

I think it would come down to how coaches are able to use him, put him in the best situation to succeed, at the right time during the game. For him being fast and good in pass coverage is great, and in line with what Ballard said he expects from modern day NFL linebackers.

I like him in sub-packages. We have definitely added depth to our worst position group last year. What I like is we have options and guys that do a lot of different things well. If we can determine the matchups I think they can be fairly successful. I also like that he can be used to blitz as well. Very quick to close on a play. We still need that one stud inside and outside but that is where we will have to find them in the draft. We aren't going to find a Luke Kuechly or Suggs in FA we will have to draft and develop one. I think we will be heavy defense in this draft...corner, lb, edge whatever best value is on the board.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's solid, might be more than meets the eye to him. Probably the best available cheap option after missing out on Minter.

Yes we are going cheap here to catch lighting in a bottle. More 1 year deals in 18 too.

I mean if he thinks he'll be a good starter from us who will further develop his skills then why the heck did we give him a one year deal?

The low money is consistent with Ballard but idk why he would ever give a guy with "this much" (i use that generously) potential a one year deal. Seems like we're begging for him to stand out on a weak defense and get paid by someone else. 

I like the talent he brings. He plays with a chip and isn't afraid to stick himself into contact 

I remember watching a lot of his tape when he was at Miami the year he was in the draft, and when I watch Rueben Foster this year he reminds me of Spence. Spence is a nasty tackler just like Foster and was around the same size coming into the league.

He did have that nasty injury, but I believe he played really well last year in limited snaps.

This is a very good pickup for the price.

1 hour ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Kinda funny how Ballard isn't really trying that hard to go after the big name free agents. IG he was right when he said that he wanted to "raise his own". Good signing. I just hope with the Colts "luck" over the past two years, that  these signings don't turn out to be flops or failures. 

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

This team needed help at LB'er and this signing is indicative of said help.  I like the fact that Ballard is bringing in younger and more athletic talent to compete for positions.....while keeping costs down.

I actually kind of like the fact that we don't know exactly who the starters are yet. In the past, we've forced guys into playing just because of the cost it took to get them (ie: Richardson). In this case, the best players play, which is how it should be.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm just saying that when you use the word  "flashed" it implies that he was really special. Jackson isn't a lock for the 53. He's on the cusp with a new GM that doesn't share Grigson's old philosophies.

I didn't intend the word "flashed" to imply by any means that I thought he was "special." IMO he played pretty well for a guy that was signed as a "camp body." By flashed I meant that he made some nice plays but by no means was a quality starting ILB. Then I added that I think he's a favorite at this point in time to make the final 53. Now if we draft 2 ILB in this draft , then I could change my mind. And I have no idea what Grigson's philosophies were at LB after that 2016 mess he created .

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I mean if he thinks he'll be a good starter from us who will further develop his skills then why the heck did we give him a one year deal?

The low money is consistent with Ballard but idk why he would ever give a guy with "this much" (i use that generously) potential a one year deal. Seems like we're begging for him to stand out on a weak defense and get paid by someone else. 

I like the talent he brings. He plays with a chip and isn't afraid to stick himself into contact 

Because he's still a largely unproven talent with a nasty injury history. Plus, contracts go both ways; Spence may have preferred to bet on himself with a one year deal in order to prove he is worth a larger contract next offseason.

4 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Because he's still a largely unproven talent with a nasty injury history. Plus, contracts go both ways; Spence may have preferred to bet on himself with a one year deal in order to prove he is worth a large contract next offseason.

Yeah I agree. That's why i find it odd. Seems like Ballard is avoiding guys who want to take one year deals and "bet on themselves". Therefore I guess he really likes this guy and is willing to pay him if he performs spectacularly? 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Whenever he takes a position on something it never changes. No matter how much evidence. He will just keep saying the same thing forever. Just let it be! His position on the issue wont change. I gave up a while back.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan21 said:

They could very well turn out to be flops, but imo its not a huge deal because its not like we are throwing outrageous amounts of money at free agents like we did in years past.

Ballard, it seems is following a plan, His agenda is to make the Team better , So far his approach is common sense, address the blatant needs While not compromising the teams future.