Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clayton Geathers to LB?

MPStack

Kevin Bowen of Colts.com suggested Indianapolis could move S Clayton Geathers to linebacker.

DC Ted Monachino seemed intrigued by the idea when asked about it during the season. "That’s an excellent question," Monachino said. "We have to find ways to continue to keep him going and being productive because he has the ability to make a bunch of plays." Geathers is a 220-pound missile who has been a solid run defender from the safety position, but durability could be a concern at linebacker after he was limited to nine games by a neck injury. For what it is worth, the Colts have needs at both linebacker and safety.

I know it's been discussed and he played in some sub packages last season at LB. If this happens, the safety position will serious, seriously need to be addressed this year. 

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I do think Geathers is awesome, and the missile comment is accurate. Unfortunately, I think his history of getting injured would very likely increase if he were moved to LB exclusively.

Leave him in the enforcer type role at Safety, and have him cover TE's. 

This is exactly right. At 220 he will get killed by linemen, leave him free to roam!

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Kevin Bowen of Colts.com suggested Indianapolis could move S Clayton Geathers to linebacker.

DC Ted Monachino seemed intrigued by the idea when asked about it during the season. "That’s an excellent question," Monachino said. "We have to find ways to continue to keep him going and being productive because he has the ability to make a bunch of plays." Geathers is a 220-pound missile who has been a solid run defender from the safety position, but durability could be a concern at linebacker after he was limited to nine games by a neck injury. For what it is worth, the Colts have needs at both linebacker and safety.

I know it's been discussed and he played in some sub packages last season at LB. If this happens, the safety position will serious, seriously need to be addressed this year. 

I just want to know who's picture you're using as an avatar.

I see it as a possibility. Especially if we draft a safety early, sign Berry, Green turns into a good football player, re-sign Adams, Butler at S permanently, etc. A lot of possibilities. I wouldn't do it personally, I've wondered if we may try it, but  I want him at SS. Let him play to his strengths, Hard hitting, enforcer type, coming down making big first down saving tackles, blitzing the QB here and there, etc. He's got the potential to be a really god SS IMO.....If we have a true roaming coverage safety (Berry?) next to him. So yeah we need to bring in some true ILB's. Zach Brown, Hightower, etc if we go the FA route. We'll have to sign an ILB or draft one early. There's 2-3 guys I like in that 2nd-3rd range. Zach Cunningham seems to be falling out of the latest first round mocks so maybe he's a possibility in the 2nd. I just hope Cunningham and Davis don't both go before our 2nd round pick. Maybe the injuries cause Anzalone to fall to the 4th? McMillian is probably a 3rd rounder, I like Anthony Walker in the 4th if he's there. Maybe Davis or Cunningham in the 2nd then Walker/Anzalone/Beckwith/Lee in the 3rd or 4th? As for Beckwith I'm good with 1 down hill thumping run stuffer as long as we have an all around ILB with elite coverage skills next to him (Cunningham). We can get a starting ILB, maybe both in this draft. But one kid I keep coming back to is Jalen Reeves Maybin. If he's healthy he's going to be this years Deion Jones. So in the end I'd grab an ILB in the 2nd-3rd, then JRM in the 5th or maybe our last 4th if his stock has risen and he's 100%.I think he can be a steal in the 5th or maybe even 6th. I just really have no clue where he may go. IMO he's a 2nd-3rd round talent, but injuries have derailed that. I mean I could see a team taking a shot with him in the late 3rd or I could see him fall to the 6th. We'll have to see how it plays out with him. So keep Geathers where's at and hope he stays healthy and gives us at least 13-14 games, and with better players around him our D will be much better.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I see it as a possibility. Especially if we draft a safety early, sign Berry, Green turns into a good football player, re-sign Adams, Butler at S permanently, etc. A lot of possibilities. But the more I think about it the more I want him at SS. Let him play to his strengths, Hard hitting, enforcer type, coming down making big first down saving tackles, blitzing the QB here and there, etc. He's got the potential to be a really god SS IMO.....If we have a true roaming coverage safety (Berry?) next to him. So yeah we need to bring in some true ILB's. Zach Brown, Hightower, etc if we go the FA route. We'll have to sign an ILB or draft one early. There's 2-3 guys I like in that 2nd-3rd range. Zach Cunningham seems to be falling out of the latest first round mocks so maybe he's a possibility in the 2nd. I just hope Cunningham and Davis don't both go before our 2nd round pick. Maybe the injuries cause Anzalone to fall to the 4th? McMillian is probably a 3rd rounder, I like Anthony Walker in the 4th if he's there. Maybe Davis or Cunningham in the 2nd then Walker/Anzalone/Beckwith/Lee in the 3rd or 4th? As for Beckwith I'm good with 1 down hill thumping run stuffer as long as we have an all around ILB with elite coverage skills next to him (Cunningham). We can get a starting ILB, maybe both in this draft. But one kid I keep coming back to is Jalen Reeves Maybin. If he's healthy he's going to be this years Deion Jones. So in the end I'd grab an ILB in the 2nd-3rd, then JRM in the 5th or maybe our last 4th if his stock has risen and he's 100%.I think he can be a steal in the 5th or maybe even 6th. So keep Geathers where's at and hope he stays healthy and gives us at least 13-14 games.

This is what a whole pot of coffee can do to you!  :headspin:

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He has issues staying healthy at safety I think moving him to linebacker would only make those issues worse.

This.  Having him have to shed blocks and be near the line for every running play can't be positive for his health outlook.  That would be the only concern I would have with this decision.  The NFL has shown it's easier to find a S than a coverage LB.

To small to move inside. Especially in a 3-4. The added weight also could lose speed. Also could cause more injury. Hard to say.

ive added over 50#'s of muscle and I can definitely tell the difference in everything. I know we train different but I also get injuried more and more frequent with the heavier lifting. Okay okay, age may be a factor also heh

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To small to move inside. Especially in a 3-4. The added weight also could lose speed. Also could cause more injury. Hard to say.

ive added over 50#'s of muscle and I can definitely tell the difference in everything. I know we train different but I also get injuried more and more frequent with the heavier lifting. Okay okay, age may be a factor also heh

10lbs is not too much on a 6'2" frame.

The only thing is it creates 1 less hole at ILB but 1 more while at safety. That'd mean Ballard would need to draft 2 safeties in the draft. But there's enough opportunities in FA and the draft to make it work I believe. If we move him I think he plays WILL and you draft a guy like McMillan in the 3rd round to play Mike. WILL should be better for his health long term. Then in the draft grab Buddha Baker (FS) and Obi Melifonwu (SS). Or Josh Johnson round 4 at FS.

22 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I think he would be good at linebacker but if you move that opens up the hole in the back field for safety which is already in need . But it would be interesting

It's doesn't matter if his depth chart position say Lb or ss or fs . You could still move him wear ever you need him. In theory if green turns in the player he has potential to be we could run a 3-3-5 defensive with Clayton being that close to the line cover te guy etc... 

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Most-improved second-year safeties

Landon Collins, @Giants +33.7

2015:  58.0 2016: 91.7

Clayton Geathers, @Colts +26.0

2015: 55.3 2016: 81.3

Does anyone know anything at all about his neck? 

He said in an interview with Holder that it's not a long-term injury. I guess I wouldn't expect him to say "man my neck's screwed," but I'd guess that he'll be ready for OTAs.

It's funny that these 2 are basically identical, and people are still upset we didn't take Collins, and on top of that, want to convert Geathers to LB.

20 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I see it as a possibility. Especially if we draft a safety early, sign Berry, Green turns into a good football player, re-sign Adams, Butler at S permanently, etc. A lot of possibilities. I wouldn't do it personally, I've wondered if we may try it, but  I want him at SS. Let him play to his strengths, Hard hitting, enforcer type, coming down making big first down saving tackles, blitzing the QB here and there, etc. He's got the potential to be a really god SS IMO.....If we have a true roaming coverage safety (Berry?) next to him. So yeah we need to bring in some true ILB's. Zach Brown, Hightower, etc if we go the FA route. We'll have to sign an ILB or draft one early. There's 2-3 guys I like in that 2nd-3rd range. Zach Cunningham seems to be falling out of the latest first round mocks so maybe he's a possibility in the 2nd. I just hope Cunningham and Davis don't both go before our 2nd round pick. Maybe the injuries cause Anzalone to fall to the 4th? McMillian is probably a 3rd rounder, I like Anthony Walker in the 4th if he's there. Maybe Davis or Cunningham in the 2nd then Walker/Anzalone/Beckwith/Lee in the 3rd or 4th? As for Beckwith I'm good with 1 down hill thumping run stuffer as long as we have an all around ILB with elite coverage skills next to him (Cunningham). We can get a starting ILB, maybe both in this draft. But one kid I keep coming back to is Jalen Reeves Maybin. If he's healthy he's going to be this years Deion Jones. So in the end I'd grab an ILB in the 2nd-3rd, then JRM in the 5th or maybe our last 4th if his stock has risen and he's 100%.I think he can be a steal in the 5th or maybe even 6th. I just really have no clue where he may go. IMO he's a 2nd-3rd round talent, but injuries have derailed that. I mean I could see a team taking a shot with him in the late 3rd or I could see him fall to the 6th. We'll have to see how it plays out with him. So keep Geathers where's at and hope he stays healthy and gives us at least 13-14 games, and with better players around him our D will be much better.

There's literally zero reason to move Geathers away from a position that he plays really well.