Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts may move training camp out of Anderson

RockThatBlue

10 minutes ago, lester said:

Please Please Please Please. I live in Greencastle! Please Please Please Please.

I would love it too!  I live in Brazil, so its not quite as close as Terre Haute when it was at Rose Hulman, but Greencastle is an easy 30 minute drive! Would be awesome

Many would not like it because of distance, but I think Louisville would be a good place from a business perspective. There are a lot of existing fans in southern Indiana who don't have easy access to a lot of Indy Colts events; plus you have the chance to bring new fans into the fold since Louisville doesn't really have any pro sports so many there don't have pre-existing strong allegiances to an NFL team. 

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

Many would not like it because of distance, but I think Louisville would be a good place from a business perspective. There are a lot of existing fans in southern Indiana who don't have easy access to a lot of Indy Colts events; plus you have the chance to bring new fans into the fold since Louisville doesn't really have any pro sports so many there don't have pre-existing strong allegiances to an NFL team. 

That's a good thought. Do we know where the Bengals train? Might we be arm wrestling them for that fan base?

Also, could they train close enough to attract a St. Louis audience?

The Bears used to train about 2 1/5 hours from Chicago.

Don't the Cowboys train far from home also?

11 minutes ago, esmort said:

As Louisvillian season ticket holder...

YES!!!

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Idk, being in Louisville probably wouldn't work out well. The state of Kentucky is overrun with Titans fans and bandwagon fans. 

I currently live in Indy, but have lived in southern Indiana and Louisville and didn't run into many Titans or Bengals fans... Maybe people in KY who live close to TN like Bowling Green etc... but I think Louisville is up for grabs.

Met a lot more Bears fans in Terre Haute than Titans and Bengals fans combined in Louisville. 

50 minutes ago, Myles said:

How long has it been in Anderson.

1984-1998 Anderson

1998-2010 Terra Haute

2010-present Anderson

Kind of sad to hear this, always liked it at Anderson due to the memories I made there with family, and the city can use any income possible right now....although it would be closer to me at either place the article suggested.

25 minutes ago, esmort said:

I currently live in Indy, but have lived in southern Indiana and Louisville and didn't run into many Titans or Bengals fans... Maybe people in KY who live close to TN like Bowling Green etc... but I think Louisville is up for grabs.

Met a lot more Bears fans in Terre Haute than Titans and Bengals fans combined in Louisville. 

I'm actually in Bowling Green. I'm one of the few Colts fans in the area. 

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Could also go up to South Bend as well.  Honestly I think alternating between South Bend and Louisville would be a great idea.  

Having it in the middle of the state every year doesn't seem to help with expanding the fan base.  

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

That's a good thought. Do we know where the Bengals train? Might we be arm wrestling them for that fan base?

The Bengals train in Georgetown, KY. They probably have a decent fan base in Lexington, KY as a result.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

As someone whom lives in Clark county, I can attest to the amount of Colts fans that live in Louisville. I was surprised myself, because most seemed to be Bengals/Steelers/cowboys fans. Northern Kentucky is becoming Colts country, because Irsay makes it a point to add Louisville to the Colts Blue Tour every offseason. 

6 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

As someone whom lives in Clark county, I can attest to the amount of Colts fans that live in Louisville. I was surprised myself, because most seemed to be Bengals/Steelers/cowboys fans. Northern Kentucky is becoming Colts country, because Irsay makes it a point to add Louisville to the Colts Blue Tour every offseason. 

Yeah he has added a few events down there which has helped expand the fanbase. Something like training camp could really go a long way toward making the area a Colts stronghold. Increasing the fanbase would be great especially if it got more people to the away games. 

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Yeah he has added a few events down there which has helped expand the fanbase. Something like training camp could really go a long way toward making the area a Colts stronghold. Increasing the fanbase would be great especially if it got more people to the away games. 

Agree. Hopefully we pick up more and more ex-Rams fans also. 

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

Agree. Hopefully we pick up more and more ex-Rams fans also. 

That would be nice too.  Don't know much about our presence down in that corner of the state... Or if KC is going to pull the majority of them. 

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

This is a legit question & may show my ignorance, but do franchises really look at TC logistics & base decisions upon the opportunity to expand the fanbase???

I don't know either.  Just sounded like a good idea.  If they don't take those things into account I believe they should start.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Think the Cowboys train somewhere in California.

47 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't know either.  Just sounded like a good idea.  If they don't take those things into account I believe they should start.

Right, I just asked because it quickly became somewhat of a theme in this thread...

I'm sure teams try to 'expand' upon their fan base in many ways, it's just an aspect or topic I've never heard discussed much about really...

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

i think they should build a "Super Complex" in southern Indiana.  A hot-bed for Colts training camp, Colts gift-shops, restaurants, hotels, cheerleader camps, bantam football complex, museum with all of Jim's memorabilia. .  Kind of like a "TWITTY-CITY".  :edit:   ok, so since no one has heard of twitty-city, i'll withdrawal idea in favor of westfield.

6 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Idk, being in Louisville probably wouldn't work out well. The state of Kentucky is overrun with Titans fans and bandwagon fans. 

I don't know about that...I live in Paducah and I've never seen a titan hat ever here...they don't even sell any gear in the stores here. To be completely honest there are more Pittsburgh and Cowboy fans than anything...even Patriot fans. Even in Nashville they don't support the titans from my frequent trips down there.

6 hours ago, esmort said:

If I was going to move it purely for fan expansion it would be to southern Illinois or southern Indiana. The Rams are gone and they could definitely pick up those fans who weren't Bears fans and then southern Indiana like Jeffersonville area or Louisville are both logical to expand fan base. I don't think by having it up in northern Indiana your going to cut into the Bears fans. It's the same thing with the Pacers. If I was going to move their development team I'd move it to Louisville and fill it with ex U.K. And Louisville players on top of the real development guys. Kentucky loves their ex players and would support watching them. Their is plenty of room in Kentucky for the Colts. The titans are not a factor. Heck even the Predators couldn't give away tickets a couple hours away when they weren't good as they were always stopping into my business trying to sell. If they aren't winning Nashville just isn't spending.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don't know about that...I live in Paducah and I've never seen a titan hat ever here...they don't even sell any gear in the stores here. To be completely honest there are more Pittsburgh and Cowboy fans than anything...even Patriot fans. Even in Nashville they don't support the titans from my frequent trips down there.

If I was going to move it purely for fan expansion it would be to southern Illinois or southern Indiana. The Rams are gone and they could definitely pick up those fans who weren't Bears fans and then southern Indiana like Jeffersonville area or Louisville are both logical to expand fan base. I don't think by having it up in northern Indiana your going to cut into the Bears fans. It's the same thing with the Pacers. If I was going to move their development team I'd move it to Louisville and fill it with ex U.K. And Louisville players on top of the real development guys. Kentucky loves their ex players and would support watching them. Their is plenty of room in Kentucky for the Colts. The titans are not a factor. Heck even the Predators couldn't give away tickets a couple hours away when they weren't good as they were always stopping into my business trying to sell. If they aren't winning Nashville just isn't spending.

I'm in Bowling Green, so between here and Glasgow, it's mostly Titans fans who like to talk a lot of crap... For whatever reason.