Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts may move training camp out of Anderson

RockThatBlue

14 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

1984-1998 Anderson

1998-2010 Terra Haute

2010-present Anderson

Thanks for that.   I thought I remembered a fairly recent move. 

I'm on board with it going to Fort Wayne.   Indiana's second largest city.

14 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

If it's purely a business decision.  Keep it in town.

the business decision is based on expanding the fanbase. that's clearly not needed in indianapolis

louisville is intriguing. i do know from personal experience, eastern kentucky is chock full of bengals fans. i make fun of them all the time :)

15 hours ago, P-Money said:

Bring it back to Terre Haute!!!

Terre Haute co-incided with the entirety of Peyton's career except one year. Maybe it's a good luck charm :) 

However, Fort Wayne is more Bears fans territory (or am I thinking of South Bend?) if I am saying it right. It makes sense to make inroads into young fan's hearts with our young QB to build more of a fan base there.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Terre Haute co-incided with the entirety of Peyton's career except one year. Maybe it's a good luck charm :) 

However, Fort Wayne is more Bears fans territory (or am I thinking of South Bend?) if I am saying it right. It makes sense to make inroads into young fan's hearts with our young QB to build more of a fan base there.

Fort Wayne is definitely more Colts than Bears. 

Wouldn't keeping the training camp in Indy make more sense? (less travel = less money) 

Or do they not have the facility to that in? 

37 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Don't they have a couple years left in Anderson at least?

I live in Muncie and it's perfect for now.

WTHR reported last night that they supposedly only have a "year to year" contract, and they don't plan on renewing this year.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't know about that...I live in Paducah and I've never seen a titan hat ever here...they don't even sell any gear in the stores here. To be completely honest there are more Pittsburgh and Cowboy fans than anything...even Patriot fans. Even in Nashville they don't support the titans from my frequent trips down there.

If I was going to move it purely for fan expansion it would be to southern Illinois or southern Indiana. The Rams are gone and they could definitely pick up those fans who weren't Bears fans and then southern Indiana like Jeffersonville area or Louisville are both logical to expand fan base. I don't think by having it up in northern Indiana your going to cut into the Bears fans. It's the same thing with the Pacers. If I was going to move their development team I'd move it to Louisville and fill it with ex U.K. And Louisville players on top of the real development guys. Kentucky loves their ex players and would support watching them. Their is plenty of room in Kentucky for the Colts. The titans are not a factor. Heck even the Predators couldn't give away tickets a couple hours away when they weren't good as they were always stopping into my business trying to sell. If they aren't winning Nashville just isn't spending.

Vincennes, Evansville, or even Carbondale would be great

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I live in Fort Wayne, it's pretty close to even between Colts and Bears fans.  There was a Superbowl rally downtown for the Bears/Colts superbowl and it was 50/50.

11 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I'm in Bowling Green, so between here and Glasgow, it's mostly Titans fans who like to talk a lot of crap... For whatever reason.

Yeah...that's pretty close to Nashville. I know western Kentucky doesn't even always get the Titans on tv...sometimes we get KC...even though nobody wants to watch them either. I'm sure eastern Kentucky are probably Bengals fans but I still think the Louisville market would be very receptive to the Colts.

2 hours ago, jet1968 said:

Vincennes, Evansville, or even Carbondale would be great

I'm not sure Vincennes has the facilities...do they even have a football team at the University? Same issue with Evansville although they have a nice soccer complex. SIU in Carbondale might (although they probably aren't up to Colts standards) and of course Louisville or WKU would. Have to remember all that goes into it and for practicing indoors and meetings etc. One thing I know is it would only take a couple offseasons to make fans for life. Introducing a future legend like Andrew or TY and you get the kids hooked in following them very quickly...many who have never been to an NFL game.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah I used to manage a business in Terre Haute back in the day not to far from Rose Hulman and many players would come in late at night....it was a treat. I remember Marvin coming in and clowning around with a couple of the defensive guys and just remember how small he was when I stood next to him. He was very slight of build. It was a cool time when they would come in as overnights would be very slow but they were always really really nice guys.

5 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

the business decision is based on expanding the fanbase. that's clearly not needed in indianapolis

louisville is intriguing. i do know from personal experience, eastern kentucky is chock full of bengals fans. i make fun of them all the time :)

Ehhhh, maybe.  IMO, if the Colts want to expand the fanbase - get back to true contender status.

22 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

Evansville nor Vincennes have football teams. It would just be a nice location. SIU-Carbondale has really nice facilities

Evansville has 2 colleges and each Public High School have top of the line turf fields

Kentucky Wesleyan College and their complex and practice facilities could be used

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...that's pretty close to Nashville. I know western Kentucky doesn't even always get the Titans on tv...sometimes we get KC...even though nobody wants to watch them either. I'm sure eastern Kentucky are probably Bengals fans but I still think the Louisville market would be very receptive to the Colts.

I'm not sure Vincennes has the facilities...do they even have a football team at the University? Same issue with Evansville although they have a nice soccer complex. SIU in Carbondale might (although they probably aren't up to Colts standards) and of course Louisville or WKU would. Have to remember all that goes into it and for practicing indoors and meetings etc. One thing I know is it would only take a couple offseasons to make fans for life. Introducing a future legend like Andrew or TY and you get the kids hooked in following them very quickly...many who have never been to an NFL game.

Yeah I used to manage a business in Terre Haute back in the day not to far from Rose Hulman and many players would come in late at night....it was a treat. I remember Marvin coming in and clowning around with a couple of the defensive guys and just remember how small he was when I stood next to him. He was very slight of build. It was a cool time when they would come in as overnights would be very slow but they were always really really nice guys.

My buddy bartended at the Bally by ISU.  Every Thursday evening they'd all pack in there.  Got to meet almost the whole team every year.  Played darts with Stokley and Vinny.  Peyton kinda stuck to himself for the most part sitting at the bar with Reggie or Jeff.  Marvin never came around.  The only one I never met

22 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

1984-1998 Anderson

1998-2010 Terra Haute

2010-present Anderson

Kind of sad to hear this, always liked it at Anderson due to the memories I made there with family, and the city can use any income possible right now....although it would be closer to me at either place the article suggested.

Those dates are exactly why we need to move it from Anderson and never take it back there again. Look at our team record during the Anderson years compared to the Terre Haute years. Now granted the timing coincided with the arrival of Peyton, but as a superstitious fan (most definitely not a knock on Anderson) we should have never gone back. Stick with what works and avoid what has never worked. We've gone back to Anderson and our franchise is slowly trending towards mediocrity. Luck keeps getting hurt. Our GM & HC have been trash. Either go back to Terre Haute or start a new tradition. 

And my superstition knows no bounds. For example, we've never won a Super Bowl in our blue uniforms. And I prayed that we would have taken note of that and worn the white uniforms vs the Saints.  We did have choice of jerseys that game too...  Cost us our 2nd Super Bowl.  Lol. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Those dates are exactly why we need to move it from Anderson and never take it back there again. Look at our team record during the Anderson years compared to the Terre Haute years. Now granted the timing coincided with the arrival of Peyton, but as a superstitious fan (most definitely not a knock on Anderson) we should have never gone back. Stick with what works and avoid what has never worked. We've gone back to Anderson and our franchise is slowly trending towards mediocrity. Luck keeps getting hurt. Our GM & HC have been trash. Either go back to Terre Haute or start a new tradition. 

And my superstition knows no bounds. For example, we've never won a Super Bowl in our blue uniforms. And I prayed that we would have taken note of that and worn the white uniforms vs the Saints.  We did have choice of jerseys that game too...  Cost us our 2nd Super Bowl.  Lol. 

never really put the two together, makes perfect sense lol