Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'm hoping Irsay is going after some of the big dogs...

Scott Pioli

Nick Caserio

Eric DeCosta

Eliot Wolf

Gary Paton

Chris Ballard

I'm starting to REALLY like Scott Pioli as an option. He has spent plenty of years building up New England and has recently built up Atlanta.

If Irsay gets agreement from Peyton to take a high front office position, I could see Raye being the interim GM until Peyton is ready to take on the role.

I like that idea.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kinda the scary thing here. We've got a lot of cap space coming, and if whoever takes the job isn't wise with spending it, it could handcuff us for quite some time moving forward.

Say what you will about grigson, but you really have to give him credit for keeping a lot of his deals team friendly. He gave us a safe, easy out of them a lot more often than not.

Jim's no *.  He spent his time in personnel.

Personnel doesn't always equate to good cap management skills though. I'm sure he'd be alright at it, but if for any reason he wasn't, it could have some long term ramifications.

22 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

from Colts.com:

...During Raye’s tenure with the Chargers, the team compiled six winning seasons and five AFC West Division titles. San Diego posted four straight division crowns from 2006-09, which included a 14-2 campaign in 2006, marking the most wins for the team in a single season in franchise history. That season the Chargers also led the league in Pro Bowl selections with 11. Raye played an instrumental role in the draft selections of LaDainian Tomlinson (2001), the Chargers all-time leading rusher (12,490 yards) as well as quarterback Drew Brees (2001), cornerback Quentin Jammer (2002), wide receiver Vincent Jackson (2005) and running back Darren Sproles (2005). He was also part of a staff that signed undrafted free agent Antonio Gates, the team’s all-time leading receiver (10,644 yards) in 2003. From Raye’s first season as San Diego’s director of college scouting in 2000 to his departure in 2012, the Chargers led the NFL in the total number of college free agents who earned a spot on the 53-man roster.

Gimme Jimmy Raye. Everything you've listed, plus I think he will have a better idea of the type of players Pagano needs for this defense. San Diego always had good personnel on their defenses when he was in SD.

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

Gimme Jimmy Raye. Everything you've listed, plus I think he will have a better idea of the type of players Pagano needs for this defense. San Diego always had good personnel on their defenses when he was in SD.

LT, Really?  Maybe he would like a RB with the 1st. pick.

1 hour ago, stv60 said:

What about Louis Riddick?

Smart guy, well respected. Downside is no track record as GM, but then again who else on the list does?

He cut his teeth in the Eagles scouting department like Grigson did.   No more Philly front office guys for me...bad taste in my mouth.  lol

35 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

LT, Really?  Maybe he would like a RB with the 1st. pick.

LOL, that's silly. First, Raye didn't make the pick, he was the director of college scouting. That's a plus for him, he and his staff identified one of the best and most versatile running backs of the last 20 years.

Second, the league was much different in 2001 than it is now. Individual RBs have been gradually devalued over the last 10-15 years, leading to fewer of them being drafted in the first round. When the Chargers took LT, it was still a run first league with every down, feature backs who touched the ball 25+ times a game. The rules hadn't started being adjusted in favor of passing attempts. 

19 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I've seen Eliot Wolfe's name tossed around some on here.  I thought he just signed a contract extension with the Packers.  Not sure he's available.

Wolf did get a new deal from the Packers, but that doesn't mean he can't leave. If you assume that a) his contract has offset language, like most coach/exec contracts, and b) that he'd make as much or more as a GM for another team, then him leaving is still possible. Maybe unlikely, but possible.

It seems like the Niners moved on from several candidates. I'm not sure those candidates decided they weren't interested as much as they were told they weren't in the running.

Edit: Eliot Wolf is only 34. I am assuming Irsay wants someone a bit more weathered and proven at this point.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wolf did get a new deal from the Packers, but that doesn't mean he can't leave. If you assume that a) his contract has offset language, like most coach/exec contracts, and b) that he'd make as much or more as a GM for another team, then him leaving is still possible. Maybe unlikely, but possible.

It seems like the Niners moved on from several candidates. I'm not sure those candidates decided they weren't interested as much as they were told they weren't in the running.

Edit: Eliot Wolf is only 34. I am assuming Irsay wants someone a bit more weathered and proven at this point.

Thanks Supes!

The sentiment seems to say Raye gets it.

I think Scott Pioli would be a good choice.  He did ok in KC, but the coaching situation let him down.  He's also assisted in stocking Atlanta's roster.

Louis Riddick interests me.  But that is mainly because I like his contributions on ESPN.  He seems to have a level head and always provides good insight.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think that's kind of how I'm leaning as well. I want Irsay to do his due diligence, but Jimmy Raye is a solid candidate. I don't see him as Grigson 2.0 and he has the benefit of knowing our team already.

I'm a little skittish about some of the names out there, especially the ones from teams that are terrible on defense (GB to name one).

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think that's kind of how I'm leaning as well. I want Irsay to do his due diligence, but Jimmy Raye is a solid candidate. I don't see him as Grigson 2.0 and he has the benefit of knowing our team already.

I'm a little skittish about some of the names out there, especially the ones from teams that are terrible on defense (GB to name one).

Plus its good to know Chuck allegedly swears by the guy. More chance we don't have to worry about all the infighting over personnel and power. That's one thing I remember about the Peyton Colts is that Dungy and Polian got along with each other. Always beneficial to be on the same page in a relationship. Especially when its with the guy who's buying the groceries for you.

45 minutes ago, cclaser said:

I'm not so sure why there is so much love for Raye on this board. I'm hoping that it is a very thorough search.  There are a lot of excellent candidates.  I like what I hear about Pioli.  

Up until a few days ago, I think almost everyone never even heard of Jimmy Raye before. Now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

FO prospects from the Packers organization seem overvalued to me.  I'm not opposed, but the Packers are an underperforming franchise in the Aaron Rodgers years....at least for my money.  

The world has decided that the Packers are a model franchise but keep forgetting to check their results.  Good not great.

13 hours ago, Shive said:

I think Raye has the inside track.  It seems clear to me that Grigson was let go heavily due to personality conflicts with other people in the organization.

On top of that by keeping Pagano, Irsay is showing that he doesn't want to blow the whole thing up and start over.  That means a guy who's already in house likely has an edge. 

On top of that bringing in someone new in the middle of offseason scouting would likely hurt our scouting efforts.

50 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Up until a few days ago, I think almost everyone never even heard of Jimmy Raye before. Now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

How many people do you know off the top of your head in front offices around the league who are not GM's or owners?

The front office is such a behind the scenes thing that most fans arn't going to hear of any names until their team is looking for a new GM.

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to Jimmy Raye 3....SD may have underperformed on the field, but they absolutely stocked the shelves with talent during his long ascension with the team...and as the guy who they promoted to Dir. Player Personnel, you have to believe they thought he had something to do with it.

32 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to Jimmy Raye 3....SD may have underperformed on the field, but they absolutely stocked the shelves with talent during his long ascension with the team...and as the guy who they promoted to Dir. Player Personnel, you have to believe they thought he had something to do with it.

If Raye was involved drafting and signing free agents with Ryan, then no thanks. What, he's supposed to be the new GM because him and Chuck are pals?