Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

So, we might win 6 games instead of 8?

Chuck is holding a, what, 12 million dollar winning lottery ticket?  He and his family are set for life.  Regardless of what happens, I wouldn't feel too bad for Chuck.

No matter who the head coach I think Irsay's expectation will be to win more than 8 games. It's tougher to do your job, no matter what job, when it's obvious that the owner lacks confidence in you.

Chuck's financial situation is not why I said I feel bad for him. It's never a pleasant situation when you are just keeping the seat warm for someone else no matter how much money you are getting paid.

This is a very ugly situation.  I was never a fan of the Gruden choice but as time went by I liked the potential of him over Pagano because of his offensive knowledge. Now to hear that he turned us down...  What a joke. Irsay is slipping big time. You don't go after a primadonna like Gruden unless you "know" you're gonna land him because not surprisingly "it leaked to the media". 

Screw Gruden.  Irsay if you're listening, get your head out of your @ss and go get McDaniels or Shanahan. Two young offensive minds who can help elevate Luck's game.  If you had went straight after one of those two immediately, you probably could have gotten Wade Phillips to be our D.C. too...  

With a combination of those coaches, a good draft, and some good free agent signings, we'd have been SB contenders next year.  Now we're really starting to look like a franchise in decline or disarray. 

If we keep Pagano, I can easily see us hitting a rough patch next year and players giving up on our "lame duck" coach. So our slide and regression would continue while Houston and Tennessee continue to ascend...  Irsay needs to get this figured out ASAP...

This is very bad. A sour situation could form. 

If I found out my boss was going behind my back to find someone, I would be *. We could have avoided this whole charade had he just fired Pagano from the start. A vacancy means people would go to him for the job. 

Now what?

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Not a chuck fan but jimmy pulled an old george steinbrenner act here. I mean he's the fool who gave the 4 year contract last year. He' s 2 years late of getting chuck out.

All he has to do is admit that was a mistake, fire Pagano, pay his salary, and hire a new coach. He's a billionaire, not a hard fix.

8 minutes ago, MTC said:

Was it ever a real report? Felt like speculation.

JMV doesn't normally speculate.  If he is telling you something you can bet he has heard it from a very reliable source. The only difference i can see between what JMV said a week ago and what Schefter just said today, is that JMV claimed there was mutual interest and there were discussions. I believe him om that too, i think the deal just fell apart. Now Gruden will deny and the Colts will keep quiet.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I'm still waiting to see what Irsay says officially. But this is exactly what I predicted would happen if he didn't get his guy. Media nightmare. The media is going to be all over this for awhile.

One interesting side effect of this is, that if the next season goes to hell, it will be on Irsay. If it goes great, it will be on Pagano. 

Remember, someone has to say yes. Look at the roster.  This job isn't quite as attractive as it would have been a year or two ago.  That's true even with Luck.  Luck is going into year 6.  He's no longer viewed as this young, once in a generation talent.  Gruden, if offered, does not turn this job down a year or two ago.   Forget Harbaugh, Saban... whoever.  The best you could probably do now would be a McDaniels type.  

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

This is a very ugly situation.  I was never a fan of the Gruden choice but as time went by I liked the potential of him over Pagano because of his offensive knowledge. Now to hear that he turned us down...  What a joke. Irsay is slipping big time. You don't go after a primadonna like Gruden unless you "know" you're gonna land him because not surprisingly "it leaked to the media". 

Screw Gruden.  Irsay if you're listening, get your head out of your @ss and go get McDaniels or Shanahan. Two young offensive minds who can help elevate Luck's game.  If you had went straight after one of those two immediately, you probably could have gotten Wade Phillips to be our D.C. too...  

With a combination of those coaches, a good draft, and some good free agent signings, we'd have been SB contenders next year.  Now we're really starting to look like a franchise in decline or disarray. 

If we keep Pagano, I can easily see us hitting a rough patch next year and players giving up on our "lame duck" coach. So our slide and regression would continue while Houston and Tennessee continue to ascend...  Irsay needs to get this figured out ASAP...

I agree completely on this post.  It really felt like a lot of players gave up on Pagano this year, especially with messages from Hilton and Mathis out for the public to see.  IMO, I think a lot of that has to do with knowing Irsay does not have a lot of confidence in Pagano despite resigning him.    He failed on Gruden, but so what, I think he's overrated.  Couple Shanahan or McDaniels with a top DC and I think it would improve this team.  The longer Irsay waits, the shorter the list of options become.  

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm still waiting to see what Irsay says officially. But this is exactly what I predicted would happen if he didn't get his guy. Media nightmare. The media is going to be all over this for awhile.

Do u think irsay will say something ? He should tho because it will only get worse

1 minute ago, UKCOLT17 said:

Do u think irsay will say something ? He should tho because it will only get worse

What will get worse? What happens in the news has little to no bearing on what happens within the Colts organization. I hope your day continues to be silent until we get into free agency and then the draft and then OTAs and the media just fizzled out like a bad fart regarding this topic.

If these reports are true, then :Cry:

I have doubts about them though.

1. Pagano is still our head coach as of now

2. He can't just hire Gruden right away.  He'd have to fulfill the Rooney Rule (though there are ways around this)

3. Gruden said last year he would have listened earnestly if the Colts called.  Of course, people change, so perhaps he changed his mind.

But I find it hard to believe/somewhat odd that Irsay would meet with Gruden while Pagano is still the head coach.  In case something leaks, which it looks like it may have, it looks really bad.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm curious as to how the apologists will go about defending him moving forward.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

If these reports are true, then :Cry:

I have doubts about them though.

1. Pagano is still our head coach as of now

2. He can't just hire Gruden right away.  He'd have to fulfill the Rooney Rule (though there are ways around this)

3. Gruden said last year he would have listened earnestly if the Colts called.  Of course, people change, so perhaps he changed his mind.

But I find it hard to believe/somewhat odd that Irsay would meet with Gruden while Pagano is still the head coach.  In case something leaks, which it looks like it may have, it looks really bad.

If the rumors are true, and now we have leaked information, does this bind Irsay to find a replacement for Pagano this year? It wouldn't make sense to allow Pagano to coach this season as a 'lame duck, when all of the players are aware of the rumors.

Just now, Flash7 said:

If the rumors are true, and now we have leaked information, does this bind Irsay to find a replacement for Pagano this year? It wouldn't make sense to allow Pagano to coach this season as a 'lame duck, when all of the players are aware of the rumors.

Gruden denying the reports allows Irsay to act like nothing ever happened.

51 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Remeber last week when he said Pagano was "safe?"

I went through his twitter feed to find the tweet.  He said there were reports from a secondary source that Pagano will be retained, but never confirmed it or stated it as a fact. 

It was based on the same report we heard, where Pagano himself stated he believed he was safe to a reporter in Miami. 

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What will get worse? What happens in the news has little to no bearing on what happens within the Colts organization. I hope your day continues to be silent until we get into free agency and then the draft and then OTAs and the media just fizzled out like a bad fart regarding this topic.

i don't care what happens there the ones who look like a joke and don't know which direction they are heading.

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Not sure, but didn't McDaniels say he would he interested in the job?

All I can find is secondary sources saying he would be interested, no direct quotes from McDaniels.  I think a lot of this is based on him getting to coach Luck.