Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest needs?

backshoulderfade

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I agree with RG and was surprised  that spot wasn't mentioned more often.

You left NT off your list. You don't think that spot needs to be upgraded?

DL isn't mentioned at all. Our top I think we  have questions there too. Anderson has yet to get all the way back. He looks to be on track but didn't make it through his rookie year.

Ridgeway should continue to improve. I like Ridge looks like a a steal. The lazy label at UT is stuck in the back of my head. 

Langford will be back at $4M. He's going 31 off a knee injury. Then we are looking at Kerr Parry and McGill. Jones is surely gone. Am I missing someone?  I value you opinion I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the DL. 

I have RB down the list too. I would grab Boom Williams Kentucky late. He would be what we thought we were getting in Ferguson and more.

Small school players Hop Henderson and McGuire will be there the end of day 2. This class will have some help in the UDFA class too. I wouldn't mind seeing Todman more involved. 

It would be great to have Hunt slip to late day 3. You put him on a team like Wisconsin he'd be getting 1st round talk. He might end up the 3rd best NFL back from this class. I think he moves up boards the closer we get to the draft. 

I could have kept going, but I thought 8 was plenty.

I think the defense should 1-gap more on the interior DL, and in that case, between Parry, McGill and Ridgeway, I think that's an okay NT rotation. A lot of people want a stout 2-gap guy, and I get that, but that guy is going to play 30% of the defensive snaps, and will be a liability on passing downs. I wouldn't spend considerable money on a guy like that.

At DL, I want an interior pass rush threat. You might remember my "plan" was to sign Mo Wilkerson, which the Jets ruined. Kawann Short is scheduled to be a FA; the Panthers won't let him walk, but if he hits free agency, he's the kind of guy at whom you throw big money, IMO. Dual threat DL who can penetrate and rush the passer, but also holds up against the run. We can cross our fingers that Ridgeway becomes that kind of player, or even a shadow of that kind of player. I think he has a lot of upside. 

Langford's knee injury should be behind him by camp. It's not a long rehab, from what I understand. I'd keep him. Jones is toast, they should cut him the day after the SB. Anderson will be 22 months removed from his ACL, should be ready to pick up where he left off as a rookie. I'm not opposed to drafting DL at all, but I think we can work with what we have, with good coaching (which I'm not convinced we have, but that's another story).

I'm just starting to watch players from this year's draft. We'll see how much I actually can do, but I know that there are a lot of promising edge guys and a ton of good RBs. It's hard to imagine not coming away with at least one of each.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Guys like Cook and Fournette are not a dime a dozen.

That's probably true. The question to be considered is at what point does the law of diminishing returns kick in? How much better does a 'great' RB make your team, as opposed to a good RB? Is that value worth a first rounder? Todd Gurley is a great RB, I think, and he doesn't make the Rams better. Elliott is a great RB, but he has a great OL, a very productive and efficient QB, and other weapons on the field with him. 

Also worth considering is the shelf life of a RB, even a great one. How likely is it that your first round RB is worthy of his 5th year option, much less a second contract? Will he prove to be a long term building block?

I can't endorse drafting a RB in the first round. Even if he's great right away, the impact on the team and the long term prospects make it not worth it.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Guys like Cook and Fournette are not a dime a dozen.

I didn't say they were, but all the others are and their specialty isn't better than a better than avg offensive line. Everyone is on this staffs butt for making draft picks just like these. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This won't be popular....

But.....

I'm not sure how much talent there is at outside linebacker.       I much of the top EDGE talent are 4-3 DE's,  some of whom will be asked to convert to 3-4 OLB's.      And not all of them will make that conversion.

It's a very good year for EDGE,  but pure 3-4 OLB's....     I have serious doubts.

Yep, and that includes Garrett. It's scary because it's such a huge need, but the last thing we need is to roll the dice on another Werner. That's terrifying.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That's probably true. The question to be considered is at what point does the law of diminishing returns kick in? How much better does a 'great' RB make your team, as opposed to a good RB? Is that value worth a first rounder? Todd Gurley is a great RB, I think, and he doesn't make the Rams better. Elliott is a great RB, but he has a great OL, a very productive and efficient QB, and other weapons on the field with him. 

Gurley can only do so much. No one feels threatened by Jared Goff, so the D just keys on Gurley the whole game. Zeke on the other hand, he has it made. Best OL in the league, efficient QB that can also hurt you with his legs, & WRs who can stretch the field. Pretty much a pick your poison scenario as opposed to maybe the most 1-dimensional attack in the league.

31 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, and that includes Garrett. It's scary because it's such a huge need, but the last thing we need is to roll the dice on another Werner. That's terrifying.

Well....   odds are we'll be taking a conversion guy.    Someone like McKinley or Harris or Barnett.     They played DE in college but will switch to 3-4 OLB.        Everything I read says they can make the switch.    I didn't read very much that Werner could make the switch.      That's why I was so surprised when we took him.

9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I would go oline before RB. It's a skill position. RBs are a dime a dozen. 

I wouldn't agree with the notion that  RBs are a dime a dozen.  Avg. RBs are a dime a dozen, but exceptional RBs are hard to find.

That said, a great o-line can make an avg RB look like a superstar.  Dominating the LOS is the most important aspect of any team, really.

No doubt defense is number one on the board.  Will Grigson draft WR's and OL first?........Hopefully, since Grigs/Pags receive another to redeem themselves and turn this team around, they should learned their lessons in 2017 and not repeat a disastrous 2016.  Need to evaluate the coaching staff as well and make them hold their players accountable.

29 minutes ago, A8bil said:

I wouldn't agree with the notion that  RBs are a dime a dozen.  Avg. RBs are a dime a dozen, but exceptional RBs are hard to find.

That said, a great o-line can make an avg RB look like a superstar.  Dominating the LOS is the most important aspect of any team, really.

Describing my thoughts better than I are you?!

I know this isn't an important topic but jeez man what was up with that glove Andrew was wearing last game of the season? Like cmon Andrew you're freaking Andrew Luck you're our star you don't need that glove bro you could throw without it I know you can. Also can you manage your way to a barber shop before a game and maybe get a fresh cut so when you take off your helmet after a bad pick and all the cameras are on you for the world to see you can at least not look like you belong in a geico commercial .. Also how about you get a girlfriend or something and bring her around more. I mean TB has Giselle, Russell has Ciara, Aaron Rodgers, even Ryan Tannehill and Fitzpatrick have wifes.... You can't have a full relationship with your coaches outside of football that's just weird. C'mon Andrew you have to be a part of your own rescue here kid. No gloves, Fresh haircuts (you're the face of our organization keep it clean!!!!! TRIM THE BEARD!!!) and for god sakes kid get a freaking WOMAN!

1. NT

2. OLB (plus a F/A OLB prospect)

3. CB

*All three must be day 1 starters

4. ILB (Starting ILB needs to be acquired via Free agency) (EJ Starts, Morrison sits)

5. G (Reitz, Harrison, Thornton... enough said)

6. RB

7. S (plus a F/A S Prospect)

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   odds are we'll be taking a conversion guy.    Someone like McKinley or Harris or Barnett.     They played DE in college but will switch to 3-4 OLB.        Everything I read says they can make the switch.    I didn't read very much that Werner could make the switch.      That's why I was so surprised when we took him.

I think there is a good possibility we go In a different direction at 15. At Edge I think Barnett will be gone. I think Williams among others will be in the conversation too. McKinely and Williams both have experience as 3-4 Edge rushers.

I saw a post earlier saying this class was deep in DE not so much In 3-4 Edge's. I disagree with that. Werner would have been bad in a 4-3 don't let memory scare you.  

19 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I think there is a good possibility we go In a different direction at 15. At Edge I think Barnett will be gone. I think Williams among others will be in the conversation too. McKinely and Williams both have experience as 3-4 Edge rushers.

I saw a post earlier saying this class was deep in DE not so much In 3-4 Edge's. I disagree with that. Werner would have been bad in a 4-3 don't let memory scare you.  

I'm typically not someone who says we tried that once and failed so let's not try it again.

Drafting is not the faint of heart.   

Beyond the baggage that Williams carries my concern for him is this....

He's a pass rush down guy only.      Hard for me to see us taking a guy who plays one and a half to two downs out of three.       I think they'd like someone who plays closer to two-to-three downs out of three.

On defense, I just want to see the Colts get a player who is a difference maker, someone who opposing offensive coordinators go "we can't let this guy wreck us", someone that you can be a key piece to a defense on a Superbowl contender. I don't think they have that on defense right now. I don't even care what position it is.

On offense, I think they need more speed in the backfield. I think that was the intention with Josh Ferguson but he wasn't the answer. This would add another dimension to their offense, though.

10 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Im talking linebackers in general.  But there is plenty of pass rushers.

Exactly and there are going to be some FA's out there, younger FA's that hopefully will fit the team.  ILB is pretty critical as I don't really feel to confident in Jacksons ability even though he's solid with the rush.  A solid ILB could be had in the 2nd or 3rd, or possibly via FA?

42 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Exactly and there are going to be some FA's out there, younger FA's that hopefully will fit the team.  ILB is pretty critical as I don't really feel to confident in Jacksons ability even though he's solid with the rush.  A solid ILB could be had in the 2nd or 3rd, or possibly via FA?

Here is our LB picks back to '05 in the draft.  I wonder how much of our attention to LB's in the past drafts is related to free agent acquisitions / UFAs, already rostered LB's, etc.... and how much is predicated on lack of position influence on a particular defensive coordinator's scheme or lack of attention by GM and/or other coaches, etc.

2016 4th Morrison

7th Bates

2015 6th Herrera
2014 6th Jackson
2013 1st Werner (classified as OLB), don't know if that should count here
2012 7th Fugger
2011 ---------
2010 2nd Angerer
         7th Conner
2009 ---------
2008 3rd Wheeler
2007 4th Session
2006 3rd Keiaho 
2005 5th Hagler

18 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

We run a 3-4 and we need all four LBs

So well put man . Only thing I'd say is we definitely need all 4 linebackers but if we have 3 down lineman then they NEEEEED to be able to pressure the qb up the middle and stop the run. But we just don't have that either. I'd say we have pressing needs at basically every defensive position

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm typically not someone who says we tried that once and failed so let's not try it again.

Drafting is not the faint of heart.   

Beyond the baggage that Williams carries my concern for him is this....

He's a pass rush down guy only.      Hard for me to see us taking a guy who plays one and a half to two downs out of three.       I think they'd like someone who plays closer to two-to-three downs out of three.

Williams is why we may not take an Edge at 15. Garrett is a monster top 5 pick. Barnett's numbers are hard to ignore I think he goes top 10. I am not sure there is a unanimous #3

Williams is the name I see the most but like you said there are legit concerns about Williams vs the run. Let's not forget he doesn't just bring the heat he packs it too. 

Harris had a down year 1/3 of his sacks came in the Georgia game. He isn't stout vs the run. He has a spin move reminiscent of Freeney. He looks stiff in the hips at times to me. 

Thomas and Walker are guys that have first round buzz. Will either be best served standing up? 

Landry is the best of the group vs the run and had 16.5 sacks this season. He's been under the radar at BC. He is on the rise I've seen him creeping into the top 40 on big boards. 

The 2 guys I think we look at if we go Edge at 15 and Williams is not on our board are McKinley and Lawson.

McKinley didn't do much until this season. He has shown the atheltic ability you want in an Edge. He will get a chance to impress at the Sr Bowl next. 

The guy I think might be the best  pass rusher in the class is Lawson. He has struggled to stay healthy at Auburn including an ACL tear. He has the bend and burst around the edge but his injury history is concerning. 

What Edge are you taking? 

18 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Williams is why we may not take an Edge at 15. Garrett is a monster top 5 pick. Barnett's numbers are hard to ignore I think he goes top 10. I am not sure there is a unanimous #3

Williams is the name I see the most but like you said there are legit concerns about Williams vs the run. Let's not forget he doesn't just bring the heat he packs it too. 

Harris had a down year 1/3 of his sacks came in the Georgia game. He isn't stout vs the run. He has a spin move reminiscent of Freeney. He looks stiff in the hips at times to me. 

Thomas and Walker are guys that have first round buzz. Will either be best served standing up? 

Landry is the best of the group vs the run and had 16.5 sacks this season. He's been under the radar at BC. He is on the rise I've seen him creeping into the top 40 on big boards. 

The 2 guys I think we look at if we go Edge at 15 and Williams is not on our board are McKinley and Lawson.

McKinley didn't do much until this season. He has shown the atheltic ability you want in an Edge. He will get a chance to impress at the Sr Bowl next. 

The guy I think might be the best  pass rusher in the class is Lawson. He has struggled to stay healthy at Auburn including an ACL tear. He has the bend and burst around the edge but his injury history is concerning. 

As we sit here today,  the Edge that I lean toward is McKinley,  the UCLA kid.

I don't know if he'll be there when we pick,  but I don't see him as Top-10.      At least,  not yet.

For me,  it's still very early in the process,  so I try not to get married to anyone.     I want to see test results and gather more opinions from scouts and analysts.    

I try not to get married until roughly April.   By then,  I should have a much better feel for all this....

By the way:    Good post by you.   Thanks, that was good reading!      :thmup:

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Landry, Smoot, and Watt are interesting fits for us. One of them may even be able to be had in the second round.

1. Edge Rusher- if you cannot pressure the qb on third and long , you are always going to struggle getting off the field on defense.

2. Rb- gore has been good, but gore lacks game breaking ability. If you look at the Falcons and cowboys both have weaker defenses that are protected by a strong run game. Currently, if I'm a coordinator against the colts I am never stacking the box because a long run for gore is like 15 yards. A guy like cook can take it to the house on any play. Furthermore, pounding the rock successfully  and allowing luck to throw off playaction is a recipe for a top offense in the NFL. 

3. Corner- if you cannot rush the passer , you have to be able to cover longer. Vontae's play has been up and down the past two years. You have to start developing another corner. 

4. MLB- we need more speed at linebacker. We need someone who can go sideline to sideline and make plays. We need someone who can stay within the vicinity of tes and rbs out of the backfield. 

5 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Here is our LB picks back to '05 in the draft.  I wonder how much of our attention to LB's in the past drafts is related to free agent acquisitions / UFAs, already rostered LB's, etc.... and how much is predicated on lack of position influence on a particular defensive coordinator's scheme or lack of attention by GM and/or other coaches, etc.

2016 4th Morrison

7th Bates

2015 6th Herrera
2014 6th Jackson
2013 1st Werner (classified as OLB), don't know if that should count here
2012 7th Fugger
2011 ---------
2010 2nd Angerer
         7th Conner
2009 ---------
2008 3rd Wheeler
2007 4th Session
2006 3rd Keiaho 
2005 5th Hagler

That's pretty #^{*{+ ugly...............  I liked KC he was probably better than anyone they have now. I'm not a fan of Jackson, DQ...

9 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I know this isn't an important topic but jeez man what was up with that glove Andrew was wearing last game of the season? Like cmon Andrew you're freaking Andrew Luck you're our star you don't need that glove bro you could throw without it I know you can. Also can you manage your way to a barber shop before a game and maybe get a fresh cut so when you take off your helmet after a bad pick and all the cameras are on you for the world to see you can at least not look like you belong in a geico commercial .. Also how about you get a girlfriend or something and bring her around more. I mean TB has Giselle, Russell has Ciara, Aaron Rodgers, even Ryan Tannehill and Fitzpatrick have wifes.... You can't have a full relationship with your coaches outside of football that's just weird. C'mon Andrew you have to be a part of your own rescue here kid. No gloves, Fresh haircuts (you're the face of our organization keep it clean!!!!! TRIM THE BEARD!!!) and for god sakes kid get a freaking WOMAN!

He wore the glove last 4 or 5 games this season surprised it hasn't been discussed more .

18 hours ago, krunk said:

The theme for this draft and off season should be making sure that we are a much better defensive team, specifically pass rush and making sure we are a whole lot better at being able to run the football consistently. By any means necessary!

Pretty simple, really, and we need talent everywhere. If Grigson is still here, he needs to draft as safe and conventionally as possible.  Stop with the project picks.  Stop over thinking it and outsmarting yourself.  Take a hard look at your methods and realize what you are doing isn't working.

As far as taking a RB in round one goes, it depends on what they might do in free agency.  If you address needs in free agency, it might make more sense.

18 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Parry had 47 tackles and 3 sacks at NT last year. I know tackles aren't the whole story, but for a DL, it should at least say that he is stopping lots of plays close to the line of scrimmage. Those are good numbers for a NT.

Especially because the NT is supposed to eat up the center and guard allowing ILB's to clean up RB's in the running lanes.  And i expect our 3 technique DT to have more penetration than the NT and collapse the pocket, collecting some sacks in the process.

7 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I'd love to get Jarrad Davis, Zach Cunningham, reuben Foster, or Anthony walker in the draft. I think there are 1 or 2 solid ILB in fa too, but I'd rather draft one.

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Also worth considering is the shelf life of a RB, even a great one. How likely is it that your first round RB is worthy of his 5th year option, much less a second contract? Will he prove to be a long term building block?

I can't endorse drafting a RB in the first round. Even if he's great right away, the impact on the team and the long term prospects make it not worth it.

I hear you. You could draft a defensive guy that plays 11 seasons but the RB may only play 6 years tops. But I think the value is still there. Especially when you have a franchise QB. With another 2 successful offseasons the Colts could be ready to contend for a Super Bowl. It'd be highly valuable to already have a franchise RB on the roster.

a good RB will help you move the chains. A great RB will transform your offense and make you difficult to deal with every game. I know the Cardinals weren't good this season but Johnson's talent (in the run and passing game) made them tough to deal with every game. Granted he wasn't taken in round 1, but when guys like him succeed it just makes taking a RB in round 1 more appealing because it reinforces that you shouldn't pass on talented backs if they're there.

Plus my thinking is always that's it harder to find a Devonta Freeman than an Ezekiel Elliot. When you just commit to taking a RB after round 2 you're HOPING you can find a steal. When you take guys like Elliot and Gurley (who I think will be great) you know the type of production you're getting. Plus BPA should always apply unless it's a position you're absolutely set at. So while a defensive player might have a longer career, there's no substitute for a true franchise RB.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hear you. You could draft a defensive guy that plays 11 seasons but the RB may only play 6 years tops. But I think the value is still there. Especially when you have a franchise QB. With another 2 successful offseasons the Colts could be ready to contend for a Super Bowl. It'd be highly valuable to already have a franchise RB on the roster.

a good RB will help you move the chains. A great RB will transform your offense and make you difficult to deal with every game. I know the Cardinals weren't good this season but Johnson's talent (in the run and passing game) made them tough to deal with every game. Granted he wasn't taken in round 1, but when guys like him succeed it just makes taking a RB in round 1 more appealing because it reinforces that you shouldn't pass on talented backs if they're there.

Plus my thinking is always that's it harder to find a Devonta Freeman than an Ezekiel Elliot. When you just commit to taking a RB after round 2 you're HOPING you can find a steal. When you take guys like Elliot and Gurley (who I think will be great) you know the type of production you're getting. Plus BPA should always apply unless it's a position you're absolutely set at. So while a defensive player might have a longer career, there's no substitute for a true franchise RB.

i concur

Well if we splurge on defense in FA most of these needs can be handled and we could still draft the same positions in the drafts we got in FA just to be safe offensively we only need a Rb and possibly a low round gaurd that philbin can coach up..everything else needs and should be DEF

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I feel like David Johnson proves my point. But really, you're not looking to steal an MVP caliber back in later rounds, you're just looking for productive backs who can play a role on a team with a good QB, good receiving weapons, and a good OL (which is the trickiest part, IMO). 

I'm not sure I believe in the concept of a "franchise RB." There are rare long term building blocks at RB, and even they don't necessarily trigger success for the team. Adrian Peterson is probably the last one, and not has his team not gone to the playoffs with any regularity, his team has been bad as much as it's been good. The only time they got close to the SB was when they had Favre playing at an MVP level. 

I'd rather spend a 3rd rounder on a guy who has 2-3 good seasons than a 1st rounder on a guy who has 4-5 good seasons. My goal in the mid to late first round is to get a guy who can start within a year or so, and who can play at a starter level for 8-10 years. I think a "flash in the pan" guy is nice at the time, but when you look back, you'd rather have Derek Wolfe / Janoris Jenkins / Cordy Glenn / Alshon Jeffery than Doug Martin. Especially when you could have had Lamar Miller in the 4th or Alfred Morris in the 6th.

As for BPA, my personal draft principles are in my signature line. "Maximize value" precludes drafting a RB in the first round, so that's a basic rule for me. 

13 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

704.jpg