Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

This presser shows what we already knew - lack of self-awareness, lack of direction, lack of any sort of idea about how to improve this team. Nothing but cliches about grinding and getting better without a single concrete word about exactly how he plans to make things better.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Caller accused him of knowing about cheating and he blew up, said he was there at 3 and was gonna beat his butt, and urinate on him. In much more, exlpicit terms. I was calm before that. Glad I have an off switch. 

Then the hilljack's wife/gf called in..... lol

1 minute ago, stitches said:

This presser shows what we already knew - lack of self-awareness, lack of direction, lack of any sort of idea about how to improve this team. Nothing but cliches about grinding and getting better without a single concrete word about exactly how he plans to make things better.

Bingo!

Just now, stitches said:

When has any coach ever publicly given their plan to improve the team?  

4 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

Where can listen ?

I was listening through the 1070 fan app for when I can't be home, mainly for the games. But I'm sure it will be on colts.com in a little bit. 

It was just pagano talk if you know it. A lot of "memories" have been made in the years. It didn't sound like he will be gone but how can one know, he says the same thing every week. Gonna go turn stones. You know cuz I need the money. Its unacceptable. 

Was it just me? Or was there a time when the most demanding sport beyond the military was football? That is the culture needed. But it's like we're being lazy. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Caller accused him of knowing about cheating and he blew up, said he was there at 3 and was gonna beat his butt, and urinate on him. In much more, exlpicit terms. I was calm before that. Glad I have an off switch. 

Lol. Sadly, the only time I enjoy his show is when he acts like that....makes me laugh.

I have problems.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's speaking to an owner,  a GM,  his players and coaches,  and the fan base.

He's trying to say something optimistic.      

I don't think it's healthy to parse every sentence like the man is on trial and fighting for his life.

I'll try to make my point a little better.

I think in his automatic rah rah coach-speak he said the general cliche that the team is getting better.  The reporter's question simply highlighted the fact that no reasonable person can think that based upon what happened this year compared to previous years.

I think Pagano was struggling to answer the question because he was probably thinking that it was a stupid thing to say in the first place. 

It just shows what we all know, some of the nonsense that all coaches say when they're behind the podium.

If Irasy was going to let him go he would have done it by now.  What,  five coaches fired so far.  Makes no sense to drag it out a couple of days if you have made up your mind.  The media would love another firing just to get more coverage and stories.  There has definitely been a lot of progress made with upgrading the roster and making it younger over last years team.  He could easily make strong arguments in his favor and the importance of continuity which Jim believes in.  I am expecting some staff changes but nothing major at this point.  And we are going to draft even better this year.  Hard to fire a coach with an 8-8 record and the team is bringing in a lot of good young players that are making early contributions.  I think this years record will be our low point and we will be back to the playoffs next year. 

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things"

Hope all you want, I get it. But the writing is on the wall, we've just been ignoring it because we don't like what it says.

End of the day, I think no changes happen thia year. I could be wrong...

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What I don't get is if both are coming back why don't Irsay just release a stamens like the jets did say the 2 *s will be back and move on

he did that weeks ago

we will probably hear from him in the coming days anyway

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You have a legitimate point, but I think we're grasping at straws now. Irsay committed to these guys a year ago. He reiterated that commitment a couple weeks ago. I think we should take him at his word and get ready for another year of Grigson and Pagano.

I think so too, I believe if it was going to be done it would have been done already. Probably early this morning or last night. It was something I thought last year when we were all in limbo. I still believe now is the time to do it considering our draft position and cap space. They should have been on 1 year prove it contracts. Multi year contracts made zero sense.

Just now, Superman said:

Hope all you want, I get it. But the writing is on the wall, we've just been ignoring it because we don't like what it says.

Yeah, I can't imagine Irsay trots Pagano out to give a presser like this if he's going to fire him. Pagano is way too likeable person for Irsay to treat him that poorly. I can't see how anything changes.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That was always the safe money, and still may be....but if it was that matter of fact I'm feeling like Irsay would have issued a simple statement confirming what he said a couple weeks ago - he knows his guys are under great fire.

That he hasn't says he plans to talk with them this afternoon or tomorrow and that his mind isn't made up one way or another yet.

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He's the owner of the freaking team. If he was going to fire pagano he A) would have done so by now, and B) came to work this morning and said "uh, hey, we're gonna fire Chuck, so let's go ahead and not let him talk to the media at 1:30 like he has every Monday this season."

You think Irsay came to work this morning with intent of firing pagano, but waiting until later in the afternoon to do it?

Just what in the hell would he have been doing to this point in the day that would take precedent over the future of his franchise? Reading over reports from yesterday's game?

Come on. Get real.

Just like you, no one knows what Irsay is thinking and there is not set way to fire a coach. 

Just now, BOTT said:

I can easily find something else to do on my Sundays 

Me too, I cancelled my NFL Sunday ticket midway through the season in disgust during one of our miserable losses, and haven't looked back.  I still listen on the web to the game, but at least I am not buying a new television every monday.  (radio's are a lot cheaper, and tougher too, they don't smash like flat screens)

12 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with what Pagano said....in fact, I found it to be intellectually dishonest - first time I remember him doing something to protect himself.  

Agreed. The feeling that I got was that he was not very confident that he wouldn't be fired.  He struggles to explain why the team's performance did not regress.

He could have acknowledged that and stated the obvious about injuries, coaching changes, made some dicey in-game decisions that went the wrong way.  He could have said a lot other than he obvious lie he thought the team was getting better.  

What I don't get is the typical coach chivalry or machismo that says injuries are no excuse.

Of course they are.  If your best players can't play, then the team is less likely to win and you are more likely to go 8-8 than 11-5.  He can say that the secondary struggles when Vontae isn't in there.  This is the NFL, not high school.  The players are professionals, not students.  CB Melvin knows he's not making Vontae money for a reason, and when he is playing in Vontae's place, the opponent is more likely to score a TD.  

3 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Me too, I cancelled my NFL Sunday ticket midway through the season in disgust during one of our miserable losses, and haven't looked back.  I still listen on the web to the game, but at least I am not buying a new television every monday.  (radio's are a lot cheaper, and tougher too, they don't smash like flat screens)

Perhaps you should seek help

23 minutes ago, cbear said:

This team, even with it's shortcomings, has enough talent to be 10-6 at least.  Trouble is, we never got that team on the field consistently.  I know injuries are a part of the game, but I do not recall a year where we had so many of them to people we were counting on.  Moncrief, HA, Vontae, Peterson, Langford, Geathers, DQ, Butler.  The Oline was a turnstile.  Did I miss anyone?  For a while we had a secondary we signed off the street.  Andrew stayed healthy, but look at the rest of the team.  So, yes, I'll make that excuse for him.

Thanks for the laugh. 

OK, I don't see any major changes on GM, head coach front at this point. 

Probably their thinking\hope is that the offensive line is likely going to improve just based on increasing experience. Luck definitely needs to stop having up and down moments so frequently. On defense they probably expect to improve through the draft.

Looking at it that way it seems logical to continue what they started last year with contracts extension followed by a good draft, and avoid knee jerk reactions. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

You have a legitimate point, but I think we're grasping at straws now. Irsay committed to these guys a year ago. He reiterated that commitment a couple weeks ago. I think we should take him at his word and get ready for another year of Grigson and Pagano.

And for another year of missing the playoffs.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Schefter - people in building are still nervous.  Until Irsay comments, Schefter doesn't believe anyone is safe. Irsay not in the building.

Seriously, is he out chasing and spitting at neighborhood children from behind the wheel of a go kart?

Not to beat a dead horse but I have been saying since early October (after the slow start) in here that no matter how bad our record was, Irsay wasn't firing either. Yesterday's game has nothing to do with anything IMO. We could've went 6-10 and I don't believe he would've made any changes. He signed both to 4 year extensions so he was going to give both at least 2 years to get us back in the Playoffs and improve the Roster. Getting rid of both would make him look bad after signing them. Everyone Posting daily getting upset with Chuck and Grigs was a waste of time and your Blood Pressure doesn't thank you for it either LOL.