Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the Non-answer is the answer.

What could Pagano say?      He's painted into a corner and he doesn't want to throw either Grigson or his players under the bus.      Better to say nothing and take the heat and move on....

He was on the spot, but the best answer would be "yes, we realistically could have won another 4 games this year, and the primary reason we didn't is that I didn't do a good enough job of putting us in position to win those games." He said basically the same thing a dozen times during the presser, could have just stuck with that theme for that answer, taken the blame on himself, and moved on.

Wouldn't have been the juicy answer people were probably hoping for, but it would have at least addressed the question.

Edit: He went so far as to dissect the opener, even saying 'I wish I could have that one back,' where earlier this year his famous line was 'I have no regrets.' 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forgive me for doing this....   but since there's so much information flying around I just wanted to clarify....

I believe we got Kelly at 18 and not 17.      Sorry.    Not trying to be THAT GUY.     Especially on a day like today.   Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

I'll go away now!       :peek:

No bigge I have my mind on a 1000 things right now it seems but actually Kelly going 18th even makes my point more legit haha 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What could Pagano say?      He's painted into a corner and he doesn't want to throw either Grigson or his players under the bus.      Better to say nothing and take the heat and move on....

You're right that he should have given a non-answer....but you're wrong that he did so.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There isn't one fan settling for less, at least I am not. I am being realistic as of now to know winning the Division and maybe winning 10 or 11 games is the best we can do until we build a better a Defense. We don't have the personnel that we had in the Peyton era. Some people think some of us fans are happy with 8-8 because we defend certain Coaches, Players, etc.. It's plain and simple, we don't have the Defense to be 12-4 and challenge for the Ring every season like we used too. Our Defense back then wasn't Great but we had Great Pass Rushers and a Defense that could get stops in a lot of big games, we don't have that now. How tough is that too understand for some people?

Yeah I could have worded that a little better on a second read.  I'm alluding more to the adjusted expectations as a result of the caliber of team we have been given.  Nothing wrong with being realistic.  It's just that our reality has changed so much over the years and it's sad the adjustments that we fans have had to make in our expectations.  Maybe that's a better way to put it.  Like I said in my previous post...I have a headache and not at my best right now.  Apologies to any fans I may have offended.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

As for Luck, I get the angst. But my problem is with the scheme, which is easily fixable. Honestly, my biggest issue with this staff is the offense they run, which is ironic because Luck is so productive, but he also hold the ball longer than anyone else, which is part of the reason he gets so much pressure and takes so many hits. This needs to change, and that's the biggest reason I'm ready for Pagano to leave. Second biggest, he's not a good strategist; and even though that can improve, theoretically, it's not likely to happen at this point. 

The big question is whether Irsay recognize this or not. If he doesn't, well, things are looking bleak indeed.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yes there was he was an O linemen for us 

Not in that draft.  And he never played for Minnesota. 

The Nixon you are referring to was an O lineman who was undrafted.

No one was thinking about that dude in the first round of the draft.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not true. At 12, a top 8-10 pick may fall because of how teams value players and positional needs. A top 8-10 players isn't likely to fall to 15. That's when you get to the next tier.

The drop from the elite tier to the next tier differs every year.  Some years it might be 7 deep.  This year it seems there might only be three in the elite tier.  Although there are no QBs in the elite tier this year, there could be a couple taken which could drop elites to pick 5 or 6.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah I could have worded that a little better on a second read.  I'm am alluding more to the adjusted expectations as a result of the caliber of team we have been given.  Nothing wrong with being realistic.  It's just that our reality has changed so much over the years and it's sad the adjustments that we fans have had to make in our expectations.  Maybe that's a better way to put it.  Like I said in my previous post...I have a headache and not at my best right now.  Thanks.

I really wasn't even responding to you solely. It was really to a lot of people in here that thinks people are happy with 8-8. I just used your Post to respond too.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

No that's who NCF was thinking about he played for us easy for him to get them mixed up

2 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

The drop from the elite tier to the next tier differs every year.  Some years it might be 7 deep.  This year it seems there might only be three in the elite tier.  Although there are no QBs in the elite tier this year, there could be a couple taken which could drop elites to pick 5 or 6.

I was saying this because I have 8-10 defensive players in my first tier. It could change with the combine and all that, but right now, i think we'll be on the outside looking in on defense.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think his non answer was okay, but it showed me that privately he doesn't think there is enough talent. If he did then he would have answered with a resounding yes.  I remember when he and Grigson were spatting last year.  Chuck publicly stated "This is the best talent I've had since I've been here".  And we all know that defense was bad, and so was the offensive line.  He's got an issue with the talent for sure to me.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

He was on the spot, but the best answer would be "yes, we realistically could have won another 4 games this year, and the primary reason we didn't is that I didn't do a good enough job of putting us in position to win those games." He said basically the same thing a dozen times during the presser, could have just stuck with that theme for that answer, taken the blame on himself, and moved on.

Wouldn't have been the juicy answer people were probably hoping for, but it would have at least addressed the question.

Edit: He went so far as to dissect the opener, even saying 'I wish I could have that one back,' where earlier this year his famous line was 'I have no regrets.' 

It's hard for me to imagine a coach whose job may or may not be safe just yet,  opening up and saying he left 4 wins out on the field.      Can't recall anyone ever saying something like that.      It's one thing to say he'd like to have the Detroit game back.      That's one game.      But saying he blew 4 wins?      I think you ask too much.   Especially since he hasn't visited with Irsay as yet.

Besides,  I'm not sure if he thinks that HE left 4 wins out on the field,  or if Grigson left them in his front office.....

Just saying........

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

First, let me shut down the Cleveland and Jax myth. They aren't good, despite the high draft picks, because they have no franchise qb. Without that, they will never get far. New England, Green Bay, and Pitt do all draft well and all have franchise QBs, but the rest of their team is and was also much better than ours currently is. If we magically gave the Colts a 1-15 record at random and the 1st overall pick, we'd easily be a better team than Jax and Cleveland next year because of our franchise QB. That's why the Raiders were a possible SB team after 3 seasons of high draft picks. It didn't happen at random, it was because Derek Carr became Elite.

So how does that explain the success of new England, Pittsburgh and green bay without their franchise qbs? They have all missed time and still managed to do well. 

Plus Bortles was playing at a high level last year in Jacksonville and it still got them nowhere. 

The difference is that those teams have good enough talent all over their roster from having good scouting and coaching. Green Bay and Pittsburgh aren't really big names in free agency either. Which means they know how to find talent and they know how to coach up what they are given. 

Having a high pick means nothing if:

A- you can't scout and you don't pick the best player for your franchise.

B- even if you do get a can't miss player (like luck) you can't coach them out of bad habits or even scheme away weaknesses. 

Having a high pick means nothing until we have a staff in place that can do both of those things at an elite or above average level. 

10 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

It was a dumb decision to keep them last year it will be an even dumber if Irsay repeats it this year! I fear we will waste another year with them.

You keep these two around  and you are saying to the fans that mediocrity is acceptable. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Irsay deserves more credit than he gets lately. His decision to keep Grigson and Pagano was at least defensible. People are comparing the Colts to the Bills, who haven't made the playoffs in 23 years; the Niners, who will have 4 different head coaches in four seasons, and who put Alex Smith through 5 OCs in 6 years(?); and the Raiders, who missed the playoffs 14 years in a row. There's really no comparison. 

As for Luck, I get the angst. But my problem is with the scheme, which is easily fixable. Honestly, my biggest issue with this staff is the offense they run, which is ironic because Luck is so productive, but he also hold the ball longer than anyone else, which is part of the reason he gets so much pressure and takes so many hits. This needs to change, and that's the biggest reason I'm ready for Pagano to leave. Second biggest, he's not a good strategist; and even though that can improve, theoretically, it's not likely to happen at this point. 

I agree.  The gawdy stats on offense mask many shortcomings.  The long ball equals lots of yardage, so of course we'll be near the top of total passing yards and receiving yards stats. 

The slow starts to games has signaled a lack of strong preparatory abilities. That ability, as well as in-game decision making, are probably two of the most important aspects of head coaching.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

yeah.....   this was MY MISTAKE.      It was Xavier Rhodes.

I got him mixed up with an O-lineman that we had for a year or two...    Xavier Nixon.    I think he was also from Florida State.       Not nearly as good as the other Xavier.

Sorry for the mix-up and confusion.       My bad.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think his non answer was okay, but it showed me that privately he doesn't think there is enough talent. If he did then he would have answered with a resounding yes.  I remember when he and Grigson were spatting last year.  Chuck publicly stated "This is the best talent I've had since I've been here".  And we all know that defense was bad, and so was the offensive line.  He's got an issue with the talent for sure to me.

But if he said that the talent is better than 8-8, what would that say about him.  I think he was silent because he has legitimate concerns about job security and didn't want to lead anybody down the path that he coached 11-5 talent to an 8-8 level.

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Or going on a date with a beautiful woman, then you decide to sleep with her one night and you learn the hard way she/he is a transgender.

Hey I think thats pretty much what the classic song by the Kinks "Lola" is about. lmao 

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

So how does that explain the success of new England, Pittsburgh and green bay without their franchise qbs? They have all missed time and still managed to do well. 

Plus Bortles was playing at a high level last year in Jacksonville and it still got them nowhere. 

The difference is that those teams have good enough talent all over their roster from having good scouting and coaching. Green Bay and Pittsburgh aren't really big names in free agency either. Which means they know how to find talent and they know how to coach up what they are given. 

Having a high pick means nothing if:

A- you can't scout and you don't pick the best player for your franchise.

B- even if you do get a can't miss player (like luck) you can't coach them out of bad habits or even scheme away weaknesses. 

Having a high pick means nothing until we have a staff in place that can do both of those things at an elite or above average level. 

I don't remember GB having success without Rodgers much, but all 3 teams have great coaching, great offenses, and yes, they have drafted well. Again though, those teams are much than ours. Bortles did play at a high level last year, but that was before Malik Jackson came, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Malik Jackson. The defense was a shell of what it is now and they were allowing points. now, it reversed and Bortles isn't scoring as many points. A franchise QB will carry a team, they have drafted well, but they probably wouldn't be playoff teams (except NE) without their Franchise QBs (just like us).

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It's hard for me to imagine a coach whose job may or may not be safe just yet,  opening up and saying he left 4 wins out on the field.      Can't recall anyone ever saying something like that.      It's one thing to say he'd like to have the Detroit game back.      That's one game.      But saying he blew 4 wins?      I think you ask too much.   Especially since he hasn't visited with Irsay as yet.

Besides,  I'm not sure if he thinks that HE left 4 wins out on the field,  or if Grigson left them in his front office.....

Just saying........

It's kind of what he said for the entire presser. He didn't outright say 4 games, but he said repeatedly "I have to do a better job," "I take full responsibility," or some variant, for 15 minutes. Him saying 'yes, we were good enough to win more games this season, and that's on me' would have been right in line with what he was already saying.

And it would have been the good soldier response, which is what Pagano is all about anyways. He never says anything negative about anyone, not publicly. He'll always put the spotlight on himself, not anyone else.

Realistically, him saying 'maybe my coaching cost us a few games' wouldn't change anything. I think Irsay's statement a couple weeks ago -- 'we could have won more games this year if things had bounced our way' -- was a subliminal shot at the coaching staff anyways. It's not like Irsay isn't aware of the shortcomings throughout this season, to the point that if Pagano says it out loud, Irsay is going to be like 'yeah, you did cost us some wins, you know what, you're fired.' 

JMO, I think he was intent on standing up to take the blame anyways. Should have just committed 100%.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The slow starts to games has signaled a lack of strong preparatory abilities. That ability, as well as in-game decision making, are probably two of the most important aspects of head coaching.

Pagano spent the last half of preseason talking about avoiding slow starts, both in games and to the season, and it still happened. Not a good look for him...

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But if he said that the talent is better than 8-8, what would that say about him.  I think he was silent because he has legitimate concerns about job security and didn't want to lead anybody down the path that he coached 11-5 talent to an 8-8 level.

The question was slanted to produce a response that threw Grigson and others under the bus.    Chuck already accepted blame for the whole situation so it's already established he didn't do a good enough job coaching. The neutral answer is best because it doesn't throw anybody under the bus.   If he says the talent is good enough then it only establishes what he already admitted to.  Not doing a good enough job, which is pretty much a known factor anyway. I don't think there would have been much harm in him saying yes I do think the talent is good enough.   Him not saying yest tells me he doesn't think it's good enough.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Hey I think thats pretty much what the classic song by the Kinks "Lola" is about. lmao 

I have a story where a friend of mine brought two girls on my 22nd birthday and told me I get to choose who to go out with (he'd take the other). I had just watched an episode of Manswers where they were explaining the way to tell a boy from a girl guaranteed by looking at her fingers. On a guy, the index finger is smaller than the ring finger, on a girl, it's the opposite. So I came up with a strategy to look at the girls fingers, one of the girls was fine, and there was something off about the other, so I took the one that I knew was a girl. Well, the next day, my friend called me and told me a horrifying story about how the girl he slept with in bed ended up being a guy. I laughed and taught him the finger technique. I've never heard of a transgender who got a finger operation, that will always be an sign to tell.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I have a story where a friend of mine brought two girls on my 22nd birthday and told me I get to choose who to go out with (he'd take the other). I had just watched an episode of Manswers where they were explaining the way to tell a boy from a girl guaranteed by looking at her fingers. On a guy, the index finger is smaller than the ring finger, on a girl, it's the opposite. So I came up with a strategy to look at the girls fingers, one of the girls was fine, and there was something off about the other, so I took the one that I knew was a girl. Well, the next day, my friend called me and told me a horrifying story about how the girl he slept with in bed ended up being a guy. I laughed and taught him the finger technique. I've never heard of a transgender who got a finger operation, that will always be an sign to tell.

We did take this thread horribly off topic.

Sorry mods. 

lmao 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's kind of what he said for the entire presser. He didn't outright say 4 games, but he said repeatedly "I have to do a better job," "I take full responsibility," or some variant, for 15 minutes. Him saying 'yes, we were good enough to win more games this season, and that's on me' would have been right in line with what he was already saying.

And it would have been the good soldier response, which is what Pagano is all about anyways. He never says anything negative about anyone, not publicly. He'll always put the spotlight on himself, not anyone else.

Realistically, him saying 'maybe my coaching cost us a few games' wouldn't change anything. I think Irsay's statement a couple weeks ago -- 'we could have won more games this year if things had bounced our way' -- was a subliminal shot at the coaching staff anyways. It's not like Irsay isn't aware of the shortcomings throughout this season, to the point that if Pagano says it out loud, Irsay is going to be like 'yeah, you did cost us some wins, you know what, you're fired.' 

JMO, I think he was intent on standing up to take the blame anyways. Should have just committed 100%.

If I follow -- and I'm not sure that I do -- you're saying that he DID stand up and take the bullets for 15 minutes with all the comments that you noted.      But he didn't say it directly and clearly enough.     You'd have liked more.     Am I reading you right?  

Switching gears,  in reading some of your other posts, I think you've made a compelling case for moving on from Pagano.     I'm just not quite there yet.      I think Pagano and Grigson get one more year to make a big jump.    To win the South.    To make a run in the playoffs.    To look closer like the teams of 12, 13 or 14.

And if not,  then I'm more than ready to move on.   Six years is enough.   A fair shot to make it happen.   I want to be clear,   I'm not expecting a Super Bowl run next year.     No way.    But I'm expecting a much better team.  Our defense is going to take a fair amount of time to build.

I just don't know if Pagano and Grigson will be around to finish the job......

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody in here thinks 8-8 is "cool"

Apparently some people don't think 8-8 is a losing season. Mathematically it's .500 exactly but in football terms that's a losing season. It's not astronomically better than 7-9 considering there were several times where the Colts could've lost a game and not even got 8 wins. Trying to justify 8-8 as anything other than a mediocre losing season is loser talk IMO. Especially when people always lamented the Cowboys and Jets a few years ago for going 8-8 often. Settling for mediocrity is a big problem with the Colts right now.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't remember GB having success without Rodgers much, but all 3 teams have great coaching, great offenses, and yes, they have drafted well. Again though, those teams are much than ours. Bortles did play at a high level last year, but that was before Malik Jackson came, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Malik Jackson. The defense was a shell of what it is now and they were allowing points. now, it reversed and Bortles isn't scoring as many points. A franchise QB will carry a team, they have drafted well, but they probably wouldn't be playoff teams (except NE) without their Franchise QBs (just like us).

But as you said, one year with a top pick should be able to vault a team to the playoffs with a franchise QB. Bortles had a franchise year in 2015 with top picks from not only his own draft class, but the one after it. Sure they were without their first round pick from 2015 due to injury, but let's be real, Dante Fowler Jr was not the difference between 5 wins and playoffs in 2015 for the Jags. 

You need more then a high draft pick for success and we don't have the proper coaching and scouting at this time.

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

But as you said, one year with a top pick should be able to vault a team to the playoffs with a franchise QB. Bortles had a franchise year in 2015 with top picks from not only his own draft class, but the one after it. Sure they were without their first round pick from 2015 due to injury, but let's be real, Dante Fowler Jr was not the difference between 5 wins and playoffs in 2015 for the Jags. 

You need more then a high draft pick for success and we don't have the proper coaching and scouting at this time.

Fair enough, but I don't consider Bortles a franchise QB, in fact I'm starting to consider him a bust. We do need some better coaches and a new GM most likely. I think Luck would do better if we had a draft class with Myles Garrett and some other picks in the top of each round, but that can't be proven, so it's a moot point.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I follow -- and I'm not sure that I do -- you're saying that he DID stand up and take the bullets for 15 minutes with all the comments that you noted.      But he didn't say it directly and clearly enough.     You'd have liked more.     Am I reading you right?  

Switching gears,  in reading some of your other posts, I think you've made a compelling case for moving on from Pagano.     I'm just not quite there yet.      I think Pagano and Grigson get one more year to make a big jump.    To win the South.    To make a run in the playoffs.    To look closer like the teams of 12, 13 or 14.

And if not,  then I'm more than ready to move on.   Six years is enough.   A fair shot to make it happen.   I want to be clear,   I'm not expecting a Super Bowl run next year.     No way.    But I'm expecting a much better team.  Our defense is going to take a fair amount of time to build.

I'm talking specifically about his answer to that question. In general, he shouldered the blame, like he always does. He could have given a better, more acceptable answer to that question, by continuing to shoulder the blame. I don't think he was shying away from doing so, I just think he wasn't sure how to answer that question, maybe was stuck between giving his honest opinion and sticking to the script, so to speak. 

To that point, maybe ztboiler is right, that he kind of shirked the blame on that question because he doesn't believe in the quality of the roster... In which case, maybe he let his true feelings slip a little more than he usually does. I'm entirely speculating...

As for whether it's time to move forward, there's two things: 1) What I think they should do, and 2) What I think they will do. 

I let my judgment be swayed by my own feelings the past few weeks, but I think I've known all along that Pagano wasn't going anywhere. After Irsay re-signed him, then verbalized his continued commitment a few weeks ago, it was pretty obvious that Pagano wasn't being fired, not unless the team completely collapsed this season, or down the stretch. So, all along, what I've thought they would do seems to be what they're doing -- giving Pagano (and Grigson) time to course correct and get back on track. That's defensible; people acting like it's not, like this team is a complete dumpster fire, are sorely lacking in perspective.

Though it's defensible, I don't think it's right. The right decision at this point, for the future of the franchise, is to rip off the band aid and move on. The front office might be in better shape, but I'm 99% convinced that the coaching staff isn't good enough to win a SB. So, to me, the right thing to do would be to move on at this point. JMO.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

we don't have to throw another year away with all of their lame excuses.  Grigson suddenly jumping on the Pagano bus because "he had to", they are attached at the hip after the extension,  Starting out games horribly, ending games horribly, not being prepared, making horrendous play calls, time-outs, red-flags (challenges), inconceivable play-calls and gaffs, not protecting luck and acting like nothing is wrong, allowing line backing core to reek to high heaven....leading the league in QB pressues/hits/etc.... accountability issues, fan-base desertion, disjointed draft picks decisions, total flame-outs and no in-game adjustments to stop the bleeding.....i could go on but a little vomit just came up.

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

we don't have to throw another year away with all of their lame excuses.  Grigson suddenly jumping on the Pagano bus because "he had to", they are attached at the hip after the extension,  Starting out games horribly, ending games horribly, not being prepared, making horrendous play calls, time-outs, red-flags, inconceivable play-calls and gaffs, not protecting luck and acting like nothing is wrong, allowing line backing core to reek to high heaven....leading the league in QB pressues/hits/etc.... accountability issues, fan-base desertion, disjointed draft picks decisions, total flame-outs and no in-game adjustments to stop the bleeding.....i could go on but a little vomit just came up.

corps, not core...... sorry, I guess I'm, that guy

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

we don't have to throw another year away with all of their lame excuses.  Grigson suddenly jumping on the Pagano bus because "he had to", they are attached at the hip after the extension,  Starting out games horribly, ending games horribly, not being prepared, making horrendous play calls, time-outs, red-flags, inconceivable play-calls and gaffs, not protecting luck and acting like nothing is wrong, allowing line backing core to reek to high heaven....leading the league in QB pressues/hits/etc.... accountability issues, fan-base desertion, disjointed draft picks decisions, total flame-outs and no in-game adjustments to stop the bleeding.....i could go on but a little vomit just came up.

You could go on a lot.     You often do.

I just don't recognize the football you and many others around here see.

I think your view is far different from mine and a few others here.      My view is a minority view.    Your view is the majority view.      I just don't happen to agree with it.

Hopefully we'll have a better understanding of where the Colts stand in the next 24 hours.