Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter reporting that Pagano's job is safe

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising. I'm not on the fire Pagano bandwagon but can see where it can come from. This team can make a turnaround next season  and improvements have been seen. Next season is the tell all. If we don't make the playoffs a third time then there isn't a reason to keep him. All of the picks made thus far would have enough time to improve and find a niche I  the team.

All grigson needs to do is make sure this draft is out of this world. I don't forsee anything big happening in free agency. 

Just now, KB said:

Not surprising. I'm not on the fire Pagano bandwagon but can see where it can come from. This team can make a turnaround next season  and improvements have been seen. Next season is the tell all. If we don't make the playoffs a third time then there isn't a reason to keep him. All of the picks made thus far would have enough time to improve and find a niche I  the team.

All grigson needs to do is make sure this draft is out of this world. I don't forsee anything big happening in free agency. 

I wouldn't be too sure about free agency.  I think we will see a lot of the high priced vets be cut.  Could have a lot of cap room if they want to go that direction. 

Pagano doesn't catch the balls. We win the Houston game if Dorset catches a few balls and draws any coverage. On the final drive Luck wasn't going to pass to him. This season is full of game killing drops. It's become obvious we need a few more reliable receivers. Too bad Moncreif has been injured so much. The O line has been crazy injured the D line has always been missing pieces. The secondary at the beginning of the season was destroyed. Sure Pags could have overcome all this, but this season has just come together just short. 

The roster needs upgrades and healthy bodies. 

Blowing through coaches will will turn us into the Jags or Cleveland. 

3 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I wouldn't be too sure about free agency.  I think we will see a lot of the high priced vets be cut.  Could have a lot of cap room if they want to go that direction. 

They should be cut. In fact, unless the number on the back of their Jersey is 12, 4 or 1 then they should be worried. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

They should be cut. In fact, unless the number on the back of their Jersey is 12, 4 or 1 then they should be worried. 

I couldn't agree more.  Honestly, even if you don't have people to replace them do it. I'd rather play a bunch of rookies/young players/udfa and see what happens s then continue with the same vets that have never worked. 

7 minutes ago, KB said:

Colts will have some cap room. I think this year they wanted to reset, draft well, and see how the season plays out with a healthy Luck. There are some crazy deficiencies on this roster. 

CB 2

OLB Rush

RT

WR (drops)

ILB

HB

Draft some and acquire others in FA. We're set to have some great cap room considering Lucks contract.

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

13 might beg to differ 

True. He does have leadership qualities and let's face it, he's our best shot at a reliable target. Often comes up big when the number is called. Yeah I would add him to the list. Maybe even a healthy Moncrief too. 

The rest though? 

45 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I'd rather have a new coach and GM but honestly I'd be ok with Chuck staying and Grigson going but lets face it, nothings going to happen. 

I would be ok with that because I think this is more on Grigson then on Pagano.  But I'd like to change coaches too.  I've seen too many boneheaded coaching moves over the past couple of years cost us games.  

Problem often seems to be blocking assignments.  In the beginning of the season on the final drive we left Joe Reitz alone to single block Von Miller.  Last week we had Dwayne Allen single blocking Clowney that led to a strip sack.  

15 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Pagano doesn't catch the balls. We win the Houston game if Dorset catches a few balls and draws any coverage. On the final drive Luck wasn't going to pass to him. This season is full of game killing drops. It's become obvious we need a few more reliable receivers. Too bad Moncreif has been injured so much. The O line has been crazy injured the D line has always been missing pieces. The secondary at the beginning of the season was destroyed. Sure Pags could have overcome all this, but this season has just come together just short. 

Pags does not catch the balls, but this team is so flat almost every Sunday and has to play catch up. The play calling on both sides of the ball is just plain horrible. Better play are made up in street touch football. This has been an issue for years now. 

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

What a shame. more years of dumb and dumber with Chuck/Ryan.  Jimmy will not can them as does not want to look like a fool after giving them 4 years deal. He will keep them to spite us all Colt fans.

Yup. 

I can't imagine being in the same car as Pagano, Irsay and Grigson. 

I imagine it would be something like this: 

Image result for dumb and dumber gif

Just now, JColts72 said:

Pags does not catch the balls, but this team is so flat almost every Sunday and has to play catch up. This has been an issue for years now. 

I don't know a gameplan on Earth that could overcome those drops. We don't A have a run game so that doesn't work. The D did their part against Houston. 

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I don't know a gameplan on Earth that could overcome those drops. We don't A have a run game so that doesn't work. The D did their part against Houston. 

We have not had a run game sine Addai. Edge was great to see on those games back then.

3 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

understand good teams dnt do what we do ... Houston isn't good and they dictate to us. Every team dictates to us.

All these are, are excuses ... no one cares about injuries, these are grown men and Pagano should be held accountable for his ineptitude. 

The monster envisioned was a backyardigan

Seems more likely by the day that next football season I will be focused solely on Saturday kickoffs......  Only thing that could ever make me totally apathetic towards an Indy team has always been lack of caring/direction from the very top, and it is starting to feel like we have arrived at that point.   I will still give the box scores a glance I guess.  

11 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

A run game threat would help this team a lot.  The problem with Gore is that he can only run between tackles.  They don't even run off tackle.  So the defense doesn't have to respect it.  We are an incredibly predictable offense and the lack of a running game or the threat of one is a huge part of it. 

22 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Seems more likely by the day that next football season I will be focused solely on Saturday kickoffs......  Only thing that could ever make me totally apathetic towards an Indy team has always been lack of caring/direction from the very top, and it is starting to feel like we have arrived at that point.   I will still give the box scores a glance I guess.  

I might be done watching the NFL if this staff isn't at least fired by the end of next season. Who knows maybe they will put it all together in the offseason lol

Not surprising but still disappointing.

If Chuck's job is safe then I think the assistants and coordinators should be too. People blame Chud at times, and he's not void of blame, but I can't see how Chuck wouldn't have a strong hand in those 4th and short calls and just the offensive gameplan in general. Just seems like there's too much similarity to how Pep and Chud's offense breaks down at times or like earlier in the year came out flat. While Chud hasn't been perfect, I think he's been passable, especially since our receivers have been dropping crucial passes. As for Philbin, he's working with a young and oft injured bunch so his job should be safe. And Monachino just really hasn't had much talent to coach. 

Off topic, but the biggest disappoint this offseason to me would be if they don't look into changing the turf.

I didn't see it, was he reporting what he was told or just voicing his opinion.  Seen on another site that Schefter said he thought he would be back because he was well liked and a good man.  That seems like it's just his opinion.   He is a good man, but he's really a bad coach who is taking this team the wrong direction. The only reason Pagano is still here is because Irsay couldn't get the guy he wanted last year, or in Paytons case, didn't wanna give up the 2nd round pick it would have taken to get him. So unless someone is available this year he really wants i expect him to stick with the same garbage we have now.  Get ready for half empty Lucas oil stadium next year.

22 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

A run game threat would help this team a lot.  The problem with Gore is that he can only run between tackles.  They don't even run off tackle.  So the defense doesn't have to respect it.  We are an incredibly predictable offense and the lack of a running game or the threat of one is a huge part of it. 

Most unfortunate, who knows. Maybe we pull a Dallas and pick up a good RB and the team picks up.

42 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Pags does not catch the balls, but this team is so flat almost every Sunday and has to play catch up. The play calling on both sides of the ball is just plain horrible. Better play are made up in street touch football. This has been an issue for years now. 

If you know a person can't catch them don't design plays for him. We have new coaches and the team seems worse. The only constants are Pagano and Grigson. They need to become variables. 

We could use a few complementary pieces like Garcon for an underneath WR option, Jarvis Jones/Nick Perry for OLB, and wouldn't mind an ILB like Zach Brown/Kevin Minter on the right side of 30 with some experience.

Then, the rest, we go to the draft, IMO. OL, you have what you have, I do think we have the pieces and with what is invested in the LT position and the previous OL draft picks, I do not think they are even thinking OT, it is all pointing towards D and an RB thrown in there somewhere, IMO.

I do think that if we don't win the division next year, both Pagano and Grigson are gone, IMO. Making the playoffs will not suffice for Irsay next year. 

1 hour ago, KB said:

There wasn't a reason to keep him last year this team is awful Grigson and pagano are bums.

The only solace I take in this is that everyone reported Caldwell was safe in 2011 and everyone said Chuck was gone last year. Only opinion that matters is Irsay. JMV seems to believe that Jim will explore other options and he's always pretty plugged in to what goes on over there behind the scenes. Inquiries we're made last year but those guys ultimately weren't available.