Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter reporting that Pagano's job is safe

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

On ESPN earlier, Schefter reported that Pagano's job was safe based on what he is hearing:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/808716911546630144

True mind boggling.  It's going to take an amazing off season to get me excited about this team. And I don't see that happening. 

Note:      Shefter THINKS Pagano's job is safe.      So, this is more his informed speculation.

Shefter is NOT stating for a fact that Pagano's job is safe.

Depending on what happens the last 3 weeks,   I think anything is possible.     I normally would not have said that,    but Sunday's loss was so uncharacteristic for this franchise that I think it's not unrealistic to think that Irsay might have a change of heart.

Not predicting anything,   just talking about possibilities...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always find it interesting.  Going into the Houston game, minus the Tolzien game, the Colts were top 5 in points scored.  With just an average defense, they win this division by 2-3 games, yet every complaint, suggestion, etc., in this thread is about offense.

Could you refine and improve this offense?  Sure, but as flawed as it might be, you can win with this offense.  You cannot win with this defense. How in God's name could you ever defeat Brady or Roethlisberger in a playoff game with this defense?  Luck needs a defense.  Thankfully, if Schefter is right, we have a defensive guru in Chuck for one more year.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

Three more games.  A lot can change.  Last year at 6-8, Chuck was gone, then managed to win the final two, saving his job.  

We'll see what happens in the final three.

Exactly. Fisher had an extension in place a few weeks ago...

Only 3 wins will keep Pagano safe. Hopefully this is not wishful thinking. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Note:      Shefter THINKS Pagano's job is safe.      So, this is more his informed speculation.

Shefter is NOT stating for a fact that Pagano's job is safe.

Depending on what happens the last 3 weeks,   I think anything is possible.     I normally would not have said that,    but Sunday's loss was so uncharacteristic for this franchise that I think it's not unrealistic to think that Irsay might have a change of heart.

Not predicting anything,   just talking about possibilities...

I don't think that the next three games really change anything; the season was effectively over when  they lost Sunday. 

And your right about Schefter, and honestly I don't trust him too far.  But he's definitely in a position to hear things and I trust his opinion on this. Especially since the general feeling i get from Irsay comments is that pags will be back. 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We could use a few complementary pieces like Garcon for an underneath WR option, Jarvis Jones/Nick Perry for OLB, and wouldn't mind an ILB like Zach Brown/Kevin Minter on the right side of 30 with some experience.

Then, the rest, we go to the draft, IMO. OL, you have what you have, I do think we have the pieces and with what is invested in the LT position and the previous OL draft picks, I do not think they are even thinking OT, it is all pointing towards D and an RB thrown in there somewhere, IMO.

I do think that if we don't win the division next year, both Pagano and Grigson are gone, IMO. Making the playoffs will not suffice for Irsay next year. 

i dont like either jarvis jones or nick perry. I think they will command money and im just not sold. Maybe Ingram from SD? but not a fan either.

I'd like RG or RT, im guessing TJ lang - philbin connection. Then a NT like benny logan, not a HUGE parry fan. 

I know we have more pressing needs but i dont like the FA class at our needs. There are some good RG/RT and also good NTs.  Maybe Timmons for ILB.

Dont think Trumaine Johnson will walk away. Not sure if there other worthy CB's, which is why Id' preffer to take other players which are better IMO than just give money to positions of need. I rather get us a OLB on Round 1 / 2 / 3 than overpay one of those

I really see this as good and bad for Colts fans.  It is good in some ways for the short term.  With a mediocre team, just think of the discounts we can get on Colts apparel, etc.  In terms of putting successful team on the field in the next few years, this is very bad.

At this point Grigson and Pagano are tied at the hip. If one goes the other goes. A new coach will not want to come in and work with a GM on the hot seat with Ryan's track record. Also a new GM will want to pick his coach. So for better or worse I think these two have one more offseason and year to get things headed in the right direction. Myself...I'd go for a total tear down and rebuild. At this point any veteran on a second contract not named Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, and Vontae Davis should be on the way out making room for young guys. There are a few young pieces that I think have promise but the veterans on this team aren't moving the needle nor do I think they are an answer to any of our positions. If I was a GM coming in I would scrap just about the whole thing like Ryan did the first time and make a youth movement. 500 football both coaching and players aren't going to get you that team that is going to challenge for the SB most cases. You look at a team like the Raiders, Carolina, Minnesota or Detroit your going to have to suffer through some down time to rebuild that talent pool and hopefully have the right players drafted and in place with some solid coaching to take them to that next level. Unless you have great leadership already in place ala NE, Seattle, Denver, Baltimore its going to be hard to take that next step without a serious rebuild.

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

That poor guy was an assassin 

A funny one though, something with eating the red peppers took care of him and being given ton of pills. To make it simple, meaning Cot fans have to hear the same chopping the wood from Chuck and Ryan, I want to draft another horrible player. That better?

47 minutes ago, #12. said:

I always find it interesting.  Going into the Houston game, minus the Tolzien game, the Colts were top 5 in points scored.  With just an average defense, they win this division by 2-3 games, yet every complaint, suggestion, etc., in this thread is about offense.

Could you refine and improve this offense?  Sure, but as flawed as it might be, you can win with this offense.  You cannot win with this defense. How in God's name could you ever defeat Brady or Roethlisberger in a playoff game with this defense?  Luck needs a defense.  Thankfully, if Schefter is right, we have a defensive guru in Chuck for one more year.

Because the game was lost due to ineffective offense. The defense actually played a decent game. No, not a playoff caliber defense, not a SB contending defense, but decent enough to beat the Texans. And the offense -- at home, with the very good QB and several good receivers, the offense that was top 5 in points scored -- didn't show up. 

So yes, everyone's complaining about the offense because it's supposed to be the engine that makes this team go. Everyone wants the defense to be playoff caliber, but we all knew at the beginning of the season that it isn't. The hope, in the meantime, was for the offense to pick up the slack. If they had done so, the Colts might have beat Denver, might have beat KC, and probably would have beat Houston. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If I was a GM coming in I would scrap just about the whole thing

There's nothing to scrap. There's a young core, and nothing else is worth mentioning.

You're not getting rid of any of the 5th or 6th year guys, nor do you need to (it's arguable whether Allen and AC should be kept, but I wouldn't even entertain moving on from either right now). Luck, Hilton, Mewhort, Kelly, Moncrief, Geathers, Green (played a good game Sunday, IMO), Anderson, Ridgeway, are the basis of the core right now. Need more, especially on defense, and there are some borderline guys like Parry, Haeg, Clark, E. Jackson, etc., that I'm not including, but they aren't going anywhere right now, either.

The older guys -- Mathis, Walden, Jones, Adams, Gore, etc. -- will be like chaff in the wind.

The Colts don't have cap issues, especially if they move on from some of the moderately paid vets like Jones and Gore. They don't have a bunch of free agents to re-sign. 

The answer is simple: draft better, and coach better. Not necessarily easy, but simple. If Grigson does get the hook, one thing he hasn't done is load the roster down with high priced contracts.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's nothing to scrap. There's a young core, and nothing else is worth mentioning.

You're not getting rid of any of the 5th or 6th year guys, nor do you need to (it's arguable whether Allen and AC should be kept, but I wouldn't even entertain moving on from either right now). Luck, Hilton, Mewhort, Kelly, Moncrief, Geathers, Green (played a good game Sunday, IMO), Anderson, Ridgeway, are the basis of the core right now. Need more, especially on defense, and there are some borderline guys like Parry, Haeg, Clark, E. Jackson, etc., that I'm not including, but they aren't going anywhere right now, either.

The older guys -- Mathis, Walden, Jones, Adams, Gore, etc. -- will be like chaff in the wind.

The Colts don't have cap issues, especially if they move on from some of the moderately paid vets like Jones and Gore. They don't have a bunch of free agents to re-sign. 

The answer is simple: draft better, and coach better. Not necessarily easy, but simple. If Grigson does get the hook, one thing he hasn't done is load the roster down with high priced contracts.

I think this last draft saved Grigson. I'm starting to think that Irsay probably knew deep down that this wasn't a contending team this year with all the youth on it. That's probably also the main reason for the massive inconsistency from game to game. Now if they underperform again next year, I can see them both getting let go. But, imo, there is some good youth on this team, especially Anderson, Kelly, Geathers, Ridgeway, Mewhort, Moncrief and even Green is showing flashes. They just need experience.

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I think this last draft saved Grigson. I'm starting to think that Irsay probably knew deep down that this wasn't a contending team this year with all the youth on it. That's probably also the main reason for the massive inconsistency from game to game. Now if they underperform again next year, I can see them both getting let go. But, imo, there is some good youth on this team, especially Anderson, Kelly, Geathers, Ridgeway, Mewhort, Moncrief and even Green is showing flashes. They just need experience.

Youth is fine, and maybe Grigson should get another year....... bonehead playcalls have happened way too often to be forgiven....

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

My counter to that is that one could clearly see that the way Grigson was building this team was unsustainable. Yes, we were winning (mostly AFC South games) and making it further into the playoffs but Grigson was mortgaging the future of the team. Instead of stocking the coffers with young talent, he was signing over the hill free agents, trading away a 1st round pick, and whiffing in the draft. He seemed to forget about the mandate of building an o line and stopping the run. The team is in a rebuilding status again after only 4 years and Irsay just looks the other way thinking that Luck can carry the team as Manning did. Luck is NO Manning. 

Yes. I was specifically thinking of guys like AC, Allen, Jones, Mathis, Walden, Cole, Q Jackson, Robinson, Gore, and Adams that we likely need to move away from. Whether that's with a trade, cut, or just not re-signing. I know we don't have a bad cap situation but for me none of those guys are performing in such a way that should warrant coming back and taking a spot. I think its time for a rebuild. Focus on young players coming in and playing those we have now and maybe bring in a player or two for leadership purposes but I would just gut it of its veterans and start afresh. Even though some of those guys may have a little to contribute this team needs an overhaul and a new culture.

That is if I was the new GM coming in. I doubt that happens because we likely won't make a change but for me I'm ok with taking a step back to take a leap forward.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes. I was specifically thinking of guys like AC, Allen, Jones, Mathis, Walden, Cole, Q Jackson, Robinson, Gore, and Adams that we likely need to move away from. Whether that's with a trade, cut, or just not re-signing. I know we don't have a bad cap situation but for me none of those guys are performing in such a way that should warrant coming back and taking a spot. I think its time for a rebuild. Focus on young players coming in and playing those we have now and maybe bring in a player or two for leadership purposes but I would just gut it of its veterans and start afresh. Even though some of those guys may have a little to contribute this team needs an overhaul and a new culture.

That is if I was the new GM coming in. I doubt that happens because we likely won't make a change but for me I'm ok with taking a step back to take a leap forward.

If Grigson and Pagano stay, there won't be a needed rebuild. They would be keeping some of the older players around so they can save their jobs. 

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

On ESPN earlier, Schefter reported that Pagano's job was safe based on what he is hearing:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/808716911546630144

True mind boggling.  It's going to take an amazing off season to get me excited about this team. And I don't see that happening. 

Bro that game 70% on luck, 

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

Because the game was lost due to ineffective offense. The defense actually played a decent game. No, not a playoff caliber defense, not a SB contending defense, but decent enough to beat the Texans. And the offense -- at home, with the very good QB and several good receivers, the offense that was top 5 in points scored -- didn't show up. 

So yes, everyone's complaining about the offense because it's supposed to be the engine that makes this team go. Everyone wants the defense to be playoff caliber, but we all knew at the beginning of the season that it isn't. The hope, in the meantime, was for the offense to pick up the slack. If they had done so, the Colts might have beat Denver, might have beat KC, and probably would have beat Houston. 

It is painful to have to admit that the Offensive has been a disappointment in most games this year. I was expecting Chud's offense to fly but the make-shift defense to struggle in an understandable way.

I'm extremely disappointed that Chud hasn't been able to make more of this offense. I thought he would bring smarts and creativity and make it way less predictable. Maybe my expectations was too high after getting rid of Pep, but now I'm delusional. 

:sigh:

Just now, Mr Clueless said:

It is painful to have to admit that the Offensive has been a disappointment in most games this year. I was expecting Chud's offense to fly but the make-shift defense to struggle in an understandable way.

I'm extremely disappointed that Chud hasn't been able to make more of this offense. I thought he would bring smarts and creativity and make it way less predictable. Maybe my expectations was too high after getting rid of Pep, but now I'm delusional. 

same here.....it's really a feast or famine offense, there's not as much in the way of consistency. When it works, it's a thing of beauty, but there's too many lulls.

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I don't think that the next three games really change anything; the season was effectively over when  they lost Sunday. 

And your right about Schefter, and honestly I don't trust him too far.  But he's definitely in a position to hear things and I trust his opinion on this. Especially since the general feeling i get from Irsay comments is that pags will be back. 

My comment about the remainder of the season concerns the possibility --- however remote --- that the team collapses in the final 3 games and finishes 6-10.

If Irsay thinks that Pagano has lost the locker room (which I don't think he has)   then that could change his view.

If the team looks terrible in the last 3 games,  and Irsay wonders about the roster (worse than he thinks it is)   then that could be Grigson at risk.

Again.....     I don't expect any of this will happen.       Only that it could,  but I think it's a long-shot.

1 minute ago, Mr Clueless said:

I felt the same way. I don't know what I was expecting honestly... I was hoping we would finally see half-time adjustments, and maybe just maybe we would switch up the playcalling and actually play to player strengths. But once again, square peg in a round hole. 

Now watch the Colts and Luck go off on the Vikings and dominate... This team is the very definition of Jekyll and Hyde.

13 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Instead of stocking the coffers with young talent, he was signing over the hill free agents, trading away a 1st round pick, and whiffing in the draft. He seemed to forget about the mandate of building an o line and stopping the run.

Not a defense of Grigson, but I disagree with this characterization.

1) He traded a pick for a 2nd year player. That's considered building. Just wasn't a good player, and wasn't a position you should spend a 1st on, but that player was intended to be a part of the young core. 

2) None of his FAs were over the hill until 2015. Maybe Cherilus...

3) Whiffing in the draft is its own problem, doesn't mean there was a vision issue. In fact, they used three early to mid picks on interior linemen in back to back years. The problem is two of those three didn't work out. In the meantime, they also spent some money on veteran linemen, who also didn't work out. Again, not a vision issue; definitely an execution issue.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Irsay thinks that Pagano has lost the locker room (which I don't think he has)   then that could change his view.

I don't think coaches like Pagano 'lose the locker room.' Look at Rex Ryan, and today, Jeff Fisher. After they're fired, players come to their defense and take the blame. The players all rally around coaches they like, and all indications are that the players LOVE Pagano. 

I don't think his issue will be whether the players respond to him. It's about strategy, gameplans and execution, and those are lacking right now. 

What's frustrating is that this staff shows some impressive ingenuity at times, then others you wonder whether they gameplanned at all. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think coaches like Pagano 'lose the locker room.' Look at Rex Ryan, and today, Jeff Fisher. After they're fired, players come to their defense and take the blame. The players all rally around coaches they like, and all indications are that the players LOVE Pagano. 

I don't think his issue will be whether the players respond to him. It's about strategy, gameplans and execution, and those are lacking right now. 

What's frustrating is that this staff shows some impressive ingenuity at times, then others you wonder whether they gameplanned at all. 

If my coach was soft I'd love him too.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Agreed.      I don't think that Pagano loses the locker-room either.        I'm only allowing for the possibility,  no matter how remote it might be.

But that was an awful, uninspired performance.      So, I'm worried about what we'll see going forward.

I know Minnesota is a hot mess right now,  but that defense still scares me.    And the Raiders are still fighting for the division,   and the Jags beat us once before.        So.........

For me,   no one is safe from Irsay having a change of heart until the last 3 games are played out.

If we lose competitively,  then I think we're OK.      Lose badly,  and I think Irsay could have a change of heart...

As always in these situations,   I hope I'm wrong.....

I wouldn't really be surprised either way. I'm sure missing the playoffs 2 years in a row does not sit well with Irsay, so I could see him canning both of them on January 2nd. On the other hand, it's very possible they looked at this roster during the offseason and felt this team was still an edge rush heavy draft and a couple of high-end FA signings away from being a contender. Either way, we'll all find out soon enough.

3 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Colts will have some cap room. I think this year they wanted to reset, draft well, and see how the season plays out with a healthy Luck. There are some crazy deficiencies on this roster. 

CB 2

OLB Rush

RT

WR (drops)

ILB

HB

Draft some and acquire others in FA. We're set to have some great cap room considering Lucks contract.

I think our best option is 

1st: olb

2nd: olb

3rd:Rg/Rt 

4th:Rb 

5- down more OLINE for depth lol 

and i I say this because Melvin has shown to be more useful than p rob Hes earned  playtime and we can. Find a young ilb via FA hopefully 

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

This has really been my contention all along.  We knew the deficiencies going into the 2015 draft and I think Irsay said you have two years to fix the defense and offense.  We knew we couldn't do it all in one offseason, particularly since we wouldn't have a ton of cap space after signing Luck.  If we knew that, surely Irasy, Grigson and Pagano knew.  That being the case, I think he essentially got 1 year to fix the offense, and one year to fix the defense or some combination of each in both drafts.  Just my opinion.