Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter reporting that Pagano's job is safe

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an official, dreaded "vote of confidence?"

Regardless, nothing is finalized yet. It really doesn't matter if Pagano is safe right now. What matters is whether he is safe in another month when the season is over. If he loses 2 of the last 3 games, I think there is a chance he is gone. If he is at 8-8, I think he is definitely going to stay at least another year. This goes for Grigson too.

25 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

This has really been my contention all along.  We knew the deficiencies going into the 2015 draft and I think Irsay said you have two years to fix the defense and offense.  We knew we couldn't do it all in one offseason, particularly since we wouldn't have a ton of cap space after signing Luck.  If we knew that, surely Irasy, Grigson and Pagano knew.  That being the case, I think he essentially got 1 year to fix the offense, and one year to fix the defense or some combination of each in both drafts.  Just my opinion.

I agree 100%. You could even narrow it down to "1 year to invest and make some strides with the offensive line, 1 year to find a LB corps that can get to the QB, tackle, and play in coverage."

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Not a defense of Grigson, but I disagree with this characterization.

1) He traded a pick for a 2nd year player. That's considered building. Just wasn't a good player, and wasn't a position you should spend a 1st on, but that player was intended to be a part of the young core. 

2) None of his FAs were over the hill until 2015. Maybe Cherilus...

3) Whiffing in the draft is its own problem, doesn't mean there was a vision issue. In fact, they used three early to mid picks on interior linemen in back to back years. The problem is two of those three didn't work out. In the meantime, they also spent some money on veteran linemen, who also didn't work out. Again, not a vision issue; definitely an execution issue.

Grigson has bad vision just like Trent Richardson. He's basically missed on 3 first rounders in 5 drafts and picking Luck was a no brainer. He's whiffed on so many other picks and the 2013 draft was a bust. How can expect to build with so many misses in such a short span of time? 

The he free agents he signed in 2015 were disasters. There are so many knocks against Grigson that what few good things he's done are basically moot. 

25 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree 100%. You could even narrow it down to "1 year to invest and make some strides with the offensive line, 1 year to find a LB corps that can get to the QB, tackle, and play in coverage."

We can like it or not, but I can't fault Irsay for the logic.  That's especially true, particularly when there weren't exactly very many good available coach and/or GM candidates.  

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We can like it or not, but I can't fault Irsay for the logic.  That's especially true, particularly when there weren't exactly very many good available coach and/or GM candidates.  

Theh didn't do it right the first go around so trust them to try it again?  They'd better get a QB high in the draft because Luck can't take this beating forever. 

5 hours ago, ar7 said:

Well last year the media thought that Pagano would be fired and they turned out to be wrong. Hopefully Schefter is wrong here.

I think the only reason why chuck didn't get fired is because irsay didn't find grigs replacement it wouldn't make sense just to fire chuck and not grigs both of them needs to be replaced

2017's excitement will definitely be dialed down for me if he's around.

Standards around here seem to be dropping. 

I remember folks saying we're a guaranteed 10 win team if Luck stays healthy. 

Apparently not.

It'll be easier to watch with zero expectations next year I suppose.

37 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

There is one thing I'm holding onto for hope.  Schefter thinks Pagano is safe.  There are no reports, no sources, no one he's spoken to that gives him that idea.  It seems to be Schefter's opinion.  If that's all that it is, then it's not that substantial.

I'm just holding out hope that we lose out we really need to get swept by the Jags that could really possibly do it cause they are awful

I almost wanna give Pagano a pass for the disaster that is the Colts right now with a average roster we hung with the NFLs elite . Be realistic what coach would take this roster and make it a playoff team ? I doubt even BB the best there is would make the Colts anything special . Imagine coaching a team with no pass rush a o line playing on skates and a mash unit for a secondary .

1 minute ago, B~Town said:

I almost wanna give Pagano a pass for the disaster that is the Colts right now with a average roster we hung with the NFLs elite . Be realistic what coach would take this roster and make it a playoff team ? I doubt even BB the best there is would make the Colts anything special . Imagine coaching a team with no pass rush a o line playing on skates and a mash unit for a secondary .

Grigs is probably more to blame between the 2. I think many in here think that because Pags has Andrew we should at least win the Division. We probably should but our Defense is really bad so it's all on Andrew to pull these games out in reality, he has in the past but this season he is 50/50 doing it so that results in 8-8 seasons instead of 11-5 seasons.

14 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I would love to know how all the experts on here would fix our team.   Seriously.

And Go.................

We don't get paid millions to figure it out. It's like asking us how to figure out how to get a spaceship to the moon. 

33 minutes ago, IinD said:

We don't get paid millions to figure it out. It's like asking us how to figure out how to get a spaceship to the moon. 

No, not really.     And I never said anything about anyone getting paid.  

I'm just curious what those that are always so critical on here (with good reason, I know)   would do and how they'd go about fixing it if they had the power to do so.

I have said all along no one is getting fired.  I think Chud should be gone... he has no clue about this teams makeup when he calls plays...  I think if Rex is fired Pags should go after him as DC in a flash.  Doubt Rex gets another HCing gig anytime soon, but who knows

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Grigson has bad vision just like Trent Richardson. He's basically missed on 3 first rounders in 5 drafts and picking Luck was a no brainer. He's whiffed on so many other picks and the 2013 draft was a bust. How can expect to build with so many misses in such a short span of time? 

The he free agents he signed in 2015 were disasters. There are so many knocks against Grigson that what few good things he's done are basically moot. 

I guess I agree that he still has red in his ledger. But if you assume that Irsay wiped out the red prior to January 2016 and mandated a more draft-centric approach, then last offseason can be considered promising. (And that's just what I think Irsay did, btw.)

This season, even with the limitations on this roster, the problem has been coaching.

Just going back to the Richardson trade, I don't mind the big swing for what is meant to be a young, foundational player. I do mind trading for a RB, and that's more troubling because I would think a young GM in 2013 would have a different approach than to spend that kind of resource on a RB. 

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm just curious what those that are always so critical on here (with good reason, I know)   would go about fixing it if they had the power to do so.

I'm nowhere near as critical as some, but I do think I have a defensible plan for "fixing" the Colts... 

1 hour ago, IinD said:

2017's excitement will definitely be dialed down for me if he's around.

Standards around here seem to be dropping. 

I remember folks saying we're a guaranteed 10 win team if Luck stays healthy. 

Apparently not.

It'll be easier to watch with zero expectations next year I suppose.

We're talking about Irsay's standard, aren't we? He never said he expected 10 wins this year... 

7 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm just curious what those that are always so critical on here (with good reason, I know)   would go about fixing it if they had the power to do so.

I would love to hear it as well. So we can have it on record if their suggestions don't work out, so we can be critical of those peoples opinions haha 

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I would love to know how all the experts on here would fix our team.   Seriously.

And Go.................

You got some of my suggestions as to which players to go after in the draft and free agency. I really believe this team needs to draft 2 talented RBs this year and add a road grading RG like Kevin Zeitler to build a run oriented team like Tennessee did in 1 offseason. Also adding pass rush early will dramatically improve the defense. I made an updated version of my ways to fix Indy in my thread in the offseason forum.

42 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm just curious what those that are always so critical on here (with good reason, I know)   would do and how they'd go about fixing it if they had the power to do so.

Go back and look at  our last two division titles in 13-14 and compare those teams that went 11-5 to this yr.     What is different about the team now  and then.    

I'm just glad that I'm also a tampa bay buccaneers fan as well. Atleast they built that team the right way, that defense is getting to be damn good to go with the banged up offense. I believe the Colts are gonna be in a downward spiral for quite a few years, it takes time to recover from all thier mistakes in coaching,gm,draft, free agents.

5 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Go back and look at  our last two division titles in 13-14 and compare those teams that went 11-5 to this yr.     What is different about the team now  and then.    

Our Defense was playing much better and we were winning the close games as well. We have lost several close games that came down to either a stop or a drive to win and we failed. In 2012-2014 Luck almost always pulled games out at the end and our Defense was better at getting key stops in those years too. I honestly don't think our Division was really better this season from our standpoint, we swept the Titans, the Texans have one of the worst QB's in the league and no Watt, and the Jags are garbage so it isn't that. In 2012, 2013, and 2014 we even beat teams like GreenBay and Seattle + Denver and KC routinely outside of the Division.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

We are also 1 of the Jags 2 wins and no guarantee we win the 2nd either  

Which is part of the reason it's a letdown we aren't in control of the division. Beat the Jags, split with Houston, we're 8-5 instead of 6-7, and alone in first place with the wind at our backs.

And even then, I'd be irritated at those five losses. Could have won the Lions game, hung tough against the Broncos until the end, should have finished the first Texans game, laid an egg in the Chiefs game, and Luck shouldn't have missed the Steelers game. 

This roster has a lot of holes, but good coaching -- even just good offensive coaching, and some situational awareness -- would have this team in the hunt for the #3 seed.

26 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

This, my friends, is a very, very good question....and I hope you get some good discussion going to show for it.

4 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

Is this an official, dreaded "vote of confidence?"

Regardless, nothing is finalized yet. It really doesn't matter if Pagano is safe right now. What matters is whether he is safe in another month when the season is over. If he loses 2 of the last 3 games, I think there is a chance he is gone. If he is at 8-8, I think he is definitely going to stay at least another year. This goes for Grigson too.

Irsay didn't give them an official vote of confidence.  Adam was just asked durning an interview if he thought the Colts would fire Pagano or not.  

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Which is part of the reason it's a letdown we aren't in control of the division. Beat the Jags, split with Houston, we're 8-5 instead of 6-7, and alone in first place with the wind at our backs.

And even then, I'd be irritated at those five losses. Could have won the Lions game, hung tough against the Broncos until the end, should have finished the first Texans game, laid an egg in the Chiefs game, and Luck shouldn't have missed the Steelers game. 

This roster has a lot of holes, but good coaching -- even just good offensive coaching, and some situational awareness -- would have this team in the hunt for the #3 seed.

I would like to see Pagano and Grigson go obviously. I'd prefer a offensive minded HC too and I'd like him to bring in a veteran tough DC to help build a strong defensive unit. I'm liking the thought of McDaniels more and more I want harbaugh buy it's just not gonna happen. 

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Defense was playing much better and we were winning the close games as well. We have lost several close games that came down to either a stop or a drive to win and we failed. In 2012-2014 Luck almost always pulled games out at the end and our Defense was better at getting key stops in those years too. I honestly don't think our Division was really better this season from our standpoint, we swept the Titans, the Texans have one of the worst QB's in the league and no Watt, and the Jags are garbage so it isn't that. In 2012, 2013, and 2014 we even beat teams like GreenBay and Seattle + Denver and KC routinely outside of the Division.

More or less defensive talent now?   More or less offensive talent now?

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Great summary of evidence that demands a verdict.  I'm not expecting regime change this year, that doesn't feel like the course that was charted regardless of the current disappointment.  We knew we had roster shortages when we went back to the drawing board this year.  

However, the coaching contributions to "What might have been" are really piling up and quite specific in nature....it's a pile that requires an itemized list of accounting and for someone to make a compelling case for what we've learned - specifically - and how it will be different in the future.  

It is an all new staff this year that showed us glimpses, and its an unforgiving game when the plan goes haywire, so we'll see what they can get done in year 2...but we saw nothing to indicate that this coaching staff might be able to grow into a group that could gameplan for the big show against matchup nightmare teams.

There is also the real elephant in the room...which is that the greatest QB talent to enter the league since, perhaps, John Elway, hasn't progressed since year 3 and you could argue that he has regressed.  Luck is accountable for that, to be sure, but it falls squarely on the recipe created around him as well - and he's not going anywhere.  It's fair to wonder if Luck will ever be any better than he is today unless fundamental change occurs.  There is plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball.