Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter reporting that Pagano's job is safe

Saw on twitter that Irsay said right now he is not expecting to make any changes.  He did leave himself an out though and said things could change when they sit down at the end of the season.  He also said had the ball bounced differently the Colts could be 10-3.  It's these type of comments that make me worry about Jim and his mental well being.  Hopefully he honestly does not believe this.  The reason they are not 10-3 has more to do with a poor roster and poor game management skills from his coach.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

Saw on twitter that Irsay said right now he is not expecting to make any changes.  He did leave himself an out though and said things could change when they sit down at the end of the season.  He also said had the ball bounced differently the Colts could be 10-3.  It's these type of comments that make me worry about Jim and his mental well being.  Hopefully he honestly does not believe this.  The reason they are not 10-3 has more to do with a poor roster and poor game management skills from his coach.

it also has to do with not throwing the ball well (mr, hot and cold andrew luck) and REALLY has to do with not catching the ball especially for Dorsett.

The missed catches are on the players and make a big difference imo

17 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

BTW, anybody around here listen to 1070 The Fan?  JMV said he heard John Gruden make an off-hand comment about the only guy in the league he would even think about coming out of retirement to coach would be Andrew Luck.  I don't know whether to be happy that if Pags is gone we might actually have a shot at him as HC or mortified that we have a guy that is that highly thought of and he is simply being wasted by this regime. 

I would love to have Gruden as coach. Has super bowl experience and he has a thing for Andrew Luck so I think those two would click really really well.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

it also has to do with not throwing the ball well (mr, hot and cold andrew luck) and REALLY has to do with not catching the ball especially for Dorsett.

The missed catches are on the players and make a big difference imo

Who picked the players?  Who blew a first round pick on Dorsett?  Of course it ultimately falls on the players. But if the players simply arent very good and aren't coached to get any better, then you end up with what we  have.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Long time listener, first time caller, so, I need to get that out of the way.  You guys are like neighbors I never met, so thanks for all the great info and thoughts expressed here.

One thing I've thought a lot about during the Luck years is how Irsay had a winning formula he followed not that long ago when Peyton was drafted which he's abandoned.  It sure seems to me that he's made the exact opposite kinds of choices and hires this time around in coaching and front office staff.  Not a lot of high end, senior level experience throughout the coaching and front office choices with Luck.  Mora and Dungy had lots of experience being head coaches, at championship levels.  Pagano really is a position coach, with debatable results in those jobs.  Moore stood by Peyton's side for the first 12 seasons?  Luck is on number four in five years?  And I'm not sure you could get further apart than Polian and Grigson.  I understand there was no Dungy or Polian waiting by a phone this time around.  But to go in the complete opposite direction just 15 years later is baffling to me. 

How much of all this falls at the feet of Irsay?  I agree with you, Pagano is doing about as well as he can do, or will ever do.  He is what he is. 

Good first post.

I think Irsay hired the right guys for the rebuild. The hope was that they'd take their lumps, hit their stride, and be the right guys to lead the team into contention. Several problems arose, from Pagano's illness to Irsay's rehab to Grigson's mistakes, but the team kept chugging along. Ironically, now with smooth waters, stuff starts going wrong. It's leading me to believe that they are NOT the right guys for a contending franchise. (Pagano's staff had lots of experience, though.)

Polian and Dungy are HOFers for a good reason. I don't intend to discredit either of them, but I had specific beefs with the way both of them did their jobs. Polian was too retrenched, Dungy was too loyal to bad assistants, JMO. But they won. And both had experience and impressive resumes prior to Indy, so they had the benefit of the doubt.

In contrast, we're acting like Grigson and Pagano were to be finished products right away, and that's probably not realistic. It's fair to evaluate them, but it makes sense to allow room for improvement, where it might happen.

Just now, indy1888 said:

Who picked the players?  Who blew a first round pick on Dorsett?  Of course it ultimately falls on the players. But if the players simply arent very good and aren't coached to get any better, then you end up with what we  have.

True but hopefully they become more consistent with catching the freaking ball

2 hours ago, Superman said:

With the new directive in 2016, I think Grigson has a good offseason. I'm fine with giving him more time; doesn't mean I'm incredibly confident that he'll do a great job, but it's conceivable that his best is yet to come. With Pagano, I'm pretty confident that we've seen his best, and it's not good enough.

I agree with this. I don't think pagano has as much excuse tho. I know players play a huge part in games obviously, but pagano is in charge of putting them in a position to succeed. This off season, and next year will be very interesting. I will stay tuned. 

29 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I have a question that one of you gurus should be able to answer easily.  To what extent do new coaching and new GM's have a few unproductive years before they start rocking and rolling.  You know, like rookie players? I'm just wondering if we cut ties now if they both go on to be awesome elsewhere.

I believe everyone can get better. Pete Carroll has done a much better job in Seattle than he did with the Jets or the Pats. Almost overnight, Ron Rivera went from being an uptight, overly conservative head coach to being "Riverboat Ron." 

The problem with the Colts -- and I think some perspective is lacking -- is that they started out hot, and have begun to fizzle over the last two years. Going backward is a lot harder to swallow, because expectations were already raised so high.

In any relationship, business or otherwise, you can reach a point where one or both parties feel it's just not the right fit. What happens after that isn't really material, IMO. As a matter of fact, a coach being fired from one job might be the catalyst to him improving and doing better at the next job. I bet Josh McDaniels does a better job the next time around, and that's definitely influenced by his experience at Denver, as well his time with the Rams and back with the Pats. It's a dynamic situation, and people adapt and evolve over time.

For me, I dislike what appears to be Pagano's preferred offensive philosophy, based on his OC hires. It's really the final nail in the coffin for me. I think coaches can get better at game management, even strategy and gameplanning, although that's a tall task itself. Pagano also has desirable traits that are not teachable -- I think he's an inspiring leader, for instance. But philosophically, expecting someone to change their approach is unrealistic. I wouldn't even ask him to do so. Bill Parcells said he only started having success with the Giants once he realized that he had to do things his way, not how everyone else wanted him. He said 'if I get fired, it's going to be because my way is wrong, not because I tried to do it someone else's way.' 

I believe decisive decision making is important. Not hasty or rushed, but once you reach a conclusion, you should act on it. I'm not making decisions for the Colts, but if I were, I think I have enough book on Pagano at this point to move on. I regret saying that, because I like Pagano. I just don't think he's the right guy.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I believe everyone can get better. Pete Carroll has done a much better job in Seattle than he did with the Jets or the Pats. Almost overnight, Ron Rivera went from being an uptight, overly conservative head coach to being "Riverboat Ron." 

The problem with the Colts -- and I think some perspective is lacking -- is that they started out hot, and have begun to fizzle over the last two years. Going backward is a lot harder to swallow, because expectations were already raised so high.

I very much agree with the Bolded here.

3 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Read the entire story and Irsay's entire statement.  Irsay comes across as being of very sound mind and more open to change. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/12/14/jim-irsay-chuck-pagano-ryan-grigson-indianapolis/95451052/

On 12/13/2016 at 0:35 PM, Superman said:

I don't think coaches like Pagano 'lose the locker room.' Look at Rex Ryan, and today, Jeff Fisher. After they're fired, players come to their defense and take the blame. The players all rally around coaches they like, and all indications are that the players LOVE Pagano. 

I don't think his issue will be whether the players respond to him. It's about strategy, gameplans and execution, and those are lacking right now. 

What's frustrating is that this staff shows some impressive ingenuity at times, then others you wonder whether they gameplanned at all. 

Coaches arent meant to be loved by players. Maybe if pagano wasnt incessantly clapping everytime a player screwed up they would have a fire under them to make a play and not look terribly coached. But i guess well just keep choppin wood

3 minutes ago, Bubbz said:

Coaches arent meant to be loved by players. Maybe if pagano wasnt incessantly clapping everytime a player screwed up they would have a fire under them to make a play and not look terribly coached. But i guess well just keep choppin wood

Lots of players love their coaches.

I don't think Pagano's clapping has anything to do with anything that happens on the field.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lots of players love their coaches.

I don't think Pagano's clapping has anything to do with anything that happens on the field.

Yeah but that should have no bearing on whether they, the coaches, keep their jobs. Paganos clapping gives people the illusion its ok to play bad football.

17 minutes ago, Bubbz said:

Tony Dungy was loved by his players.

5 hours ago, Nadine said:

Yeah I'm not really a huge fan of the receiving core in general.  Moncrief is often injured and seems to play undersized, Dorsett has an invisible force field around him preventing him from doing anything other than getting PI calls and Allen is just. . . . . Allen!  :tvsmash:

I'll give props to TY though he's had a monster year and the team would've had more losses (IMO) than they currently have (which is sad) if he didn't step up big.  Doyle has also had a good year, receiving wise that's all.

The thing that worries me is I feel that this team needs a lot more than just a coaching/management change.  I feel that this offense even needs a lot of work let alone on the D side of the ball.  Gore won't be around forever, the OL needs work.  I have no idea what to do with Allen and Dorsett, perhaps if Dorsett continues to stink next year just bench him?  It's just not looking good for the near future.  Factor in this team has been severely injured the last couple years, they seem to lack depth also.

On 12/13/2016 at 9:42 PM, Superman said:

What a disappointing snapshot of the situation...

To the bolded, what's Pagano going to do different from Year 5 to Year 6? Unless the offense changes in these next three games, there's no reason to think some of these changes are going to be made next year. And even then... the offense was different down the stretch last year, and then they went back to this inefficient mess of a passing game. I'm not sure why the coaches are so set on making Luck do it the hard way; yes he can, at times, but imagine how much better he and the offense would be if we made things easy on him. Pagano isn't going to wake up tomorrow morning and be a different coach. Neither will Chud.

I don't think Luck has regressed at all. He had these stretches in Year 1 with Arians, Years 2 and 3 with Pep, and the first part of last year. The problem is the development hasn't happened at a sufficient rate, and I blame the coaching, specifically the gameplans and play calling. That being the case, it is fair to ask whether he'll ever be better than he is now, and that's a crying shame. And it points right to the offensive coaching, and Pagano, since this appears to be his preferred offense.

People exaggerate how bad Pagano is. He's not bad, really. Good enough to get you 8+ wins with a mediocre roster, good enough to get you 10-11 wins with good QBing, and you'll probably beat mediocre teams consistently, maybe once in a while slay a giant. He's not good enough to optimize his talent, though. As a matter of fact, this staff is probably holding the team back this year. It's arguable that with a better OC, the Colts would be at 8+ wins with a division title in the bag right now, even with Pagano, but what happens when we have to go to Foxborough in January? How do you stop the Steelers? He is not the right guy for a team that wants to go from pretty good to top notch contender. After five years, I'm convinced of that.

I doubt anything changes this year, though.

One of the best takes I've seen on the Colts. Well done Superman.

9 hours ago, Nadine said:

I've been thinking it might be time for a new WR coach. That group has overall had a bad year. TY, as awesome as he is, has even had a few games where he did almost nothing. Moncrief (though hes had a few injuries) has not progressed to where I thought he would be in year 3, besides a really good red zone target. And Dorsett...well I don't even wanna go there...

I think the WR coach is one of the few thats been here since year one, since 2014 that group appears to be regressing. That group is too talented to be playing that bad. This group struggles with focus IMO, which coaching doesn't appear to be helping.

I also don't think Chuds play calling sometimes helps the WRs out.

15 hours ago, Nadine said:

I just can see that if we've got all these years getting them better at their jobs that maybe we have too much invested to start over.  

Then again, there's Robert Mathis saying that everything is fine and the team is just not 'mentally strong' and I have no idea what he means by that. They are not giving to the extent of their abilities? They are slackers?

I've always thought "mentally strong" was always a point back to coaching IMO.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:51 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I would be ok with that because I think this is more on Grigson then on Pagano.  But I'd like to change coaches too.  I've seen too many boneheaded coaching moves over the past couple of years cost us games.  

Problem often seems to be blocking assignments.  In the beginning of the season on the final drive we left Joe Reitz alone to single block Von Miller.  Last week we had Dwayne Allen single blocking Clowney that led to a strip sack.  

That aspect of the game falls on Pagano and Grigson. Its both their fault. The dumb play calling, the offensive line problems (soft TE blocking/soft a$$ Reitz). Both has to go. Pagano for his lack of coaching and terrible play calling and Grigson for his terrible drafting, managing of a franchise and its franchise quarterback. Enough is enough. If the Rams can eat their pride and fire their coach after giving an extension so can Irsay. Man up! 

On 12/13/2016 at 0:09 PM, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

A run game threat would help this team a lot.  The problem with Gore is that he can only run between tackles.  They don't even run off tackle.  So the defense doesn't have to respect it.  We are an incredibly predictable offense and the lack of a running game or the threat of one is a huge part of it. 

first play last week was Gore off left tackle for 12 yards...they can, they just don't.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:49 PM, Superman said:

No one ever said it did.

No, it does not.

Yes clapping generally indicates approval.

If no one said its relevant than feel free to not mention how loved pagano is whenever his job quedtionability is brought up

On 12/17/2016 at 5:32 PM, Bubbz said:

If no one said its relevant than feel free to not mention how loved pagano is whenever his job quedtionability is brought up

1) That's a laughably limited viewpoint. People clap for lots of reasons.

2) If you're going to inject yourself into an exchange between two other posters, at least try to get a handle on the context. I never suggested that the way the players feel about Pagano should have or does have any bearing on whether he should be retained. I simply said I don't think he has lost or will lose the locker room, because the players love him. That was not an argument for why he should keep his job.

On 12/17/2016 at 8:32 PM, Bubbz said:

Clapping can instill faith in the players. If one were to be down and out, would it be more inspiring for someone to kick dirt on you or offer you words of encouragement?

Change is good as long it's positive. IMO Grigson creates a negative undertow that affects the locker room. Watch him in the locker room video after the Vikings' win. It has already been said that he "advises" the coaches who to play, including the Richardson fiasco, I assume to justify his decisions. That is a cancer. Polian with all of his faults was a professional. Sure miss that. I know nothing about management, but hope things get sorted out so we can take advantage of the great players that we have...

I wasn't sure where to jot my thoughts since I just watched our 34-6 game over the Vikings at US Bank Stadium on my DVR a couple of hours ago. I will leave my commentary here then. 

I know I have been tough on Pagano but I must give him credit. INDY looked ready to play ball last Sunday. Turbin, Dorsett, Swoope, Rogers; Gore, Doyle, TY, Mathis, Walden, and Adams all made valuable contributions on the field. The Colts actually looked like a legitimate, respectable football team. 

Part of me was upset when the only reason we got a fresh set of downs was that Lineal Joseph penalty leap in the first half. Also, I was not a happy camper when we failed to get any points off that Bradford fumble caused by Robert Mathis resulting in a punt. Elite teams cash in on turnovers with touchdowns & not mental lapses from our opponents to get additional cracks at the end zone. Yeah, I know I'm nitpicking. I accept that. When TY McGill celebrated after a Bradford sack & the announcer yelled "rub that belly" I roared with laughter. It reminded me of old Winnie The Bear cartoons scarfing down a huge bowl of honey I guess. 

Since I never got to see our victory over the NY Jets due to weather complications, I was pleased to notice how clean Luck's jersey was, the fact that our side had zero interceptions all game long, we dominated in time of possession, & our LBs like Jackson laid down some good licks on WRs & TEs. 

Minnesota QB Sam Bradford played a good game too. I knock him sometimes, but if his OL gives him time, he's usually deadly accurate 90% of the time. AP will bounce back next week as well. He's just needs 1 more week of practice contact to knock the rust off. 

Solid 4 quarters of football Chuck. Let's see if your staff can carry this momentum forward to the end of the regular season. 

Hang in there NFLfan. It was just a less than stellar day at the office for your club. It can happen to any team. Zimmer will bounce back. Trust me. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I wasn't sure where to jot my thoughts since I just watched our 34-6 game over the Vikings at US Bank Stadium on my DVR a couple of hours ago. I will leave my commentary here then. 

I know I have been tough on Pagano but I must give him credit. INDY looked ready to play ball last Sunday. Turbin, Dorsett, Swoope, Rogers; Gore, Doyle, TY, Mathis, Walden, and Adams all made valuable contributions on the field. The Colts actually looked like a legitimate, respectable football team. 

Part of me was upset when the only reason we got a fresh set of downs was that Lineal Joseph penalty leap in the first half. Also, I was not a happy camper when we failed to get any points off that Bradford fumble caused by Robert Mathis resulting in a punt. Elite teams cash in on turnovers with touchdowns & not mental lapses from our opponents to get additional cracks at the end zone. Yeah, I know I'm nitpicking. I accept that. When TY McGill celebrated after a Bradford sack & the announcer yelled "rub that belly" I roared with laughter. It reminded me of old Winnie The Bear cartoons scarfing down a huge bowl of honey I guess. 

Since I never got to see our victory over the NY Jets due to weather complications, I was pleased to notice how clean Luck's jersey was, the fact that our side had zero interceptions all game long, we dominated in time of possession, & our LBs like Jackson laid down some good licks on WRs & TEs. 

Minnesota QB Sam Bradford played a good game too. I knock him sometimes, but if his OL gives him time, he's usually deadly accurate 90% of the time. AP will bounce back next week as well. He's just needs 1 more week of practice contact to knock the rust off. 

Solid 4 quarters of football Chuck. Let's see if your staff can carry this momentum forward to the end of the regular season. 

Hang in there NFLfan. It was just a less than stellar day at the office for your club. It can happen to any team. Zimmer will bounce back. Trust me. 

After you watched it did it make you just a tad rowdy that the Colts didn't put forth that same effort against Houston?  It did me.  It was good to see against Minny, no doubt, but I thought it was just about a week too late.

29 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

After you watched it did it make you just a tad rowdy that the Colts didn't put forth that same effort against Houston?  It did me.  It was good to see against Minny, no doubt, but I thought it was just about a week too late.

Yeah, you're right it was, especially when our offense had a chance to pull that game out on the final drive. 

I was so ticked off this week when Andy Reid tried to ice the Titans FG kicker, he missed, & then after the timeout Ryan Succop their old Chiefs kicker made it. Great googley moogley! [Snickers Chiefs joke.]

Thanks a lot Andy Reid for overthinking the situation & not helping my Colts defeat a much needed rival to gain a leg up in the AFC South man. Grrr! 

19 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, you're right it was, especially when our offense had a chance to pull that game out on the final drive. 

I was so ticked off this week when Andy Reid tried to ice the Titans FG kicker, he missed, & then after the timeout Ryan Succop their old Chiefs kicker made it. Great googley moogley! [Snickers Chiefs joke.]

Thanks a lot Andy Reid for overthinking the situation & not helping my Colts defeat a much needed rival to gain a leg up in the AFC South man. Grrr! 

Yeah ol Andy and Chuck musta graduated from the same school of clock mismanagement and terrible timeout use!

On 12/14/2016 at 9:12 PM, Bubbz said:

Yeah but that should have no bearing on whether they, the coaches, keep their jobs. Paganos clapping gives people the illusion its ok to play bad football.

Yeah but Chuck isn't the only coach that does that.  It seems like a lot of players and coaches do the same thing.  It can be frustrating to a fan because we might misinterpret it somehow.  I myself have even been bugged and ticked off by this as well because as a fan because don't understand why they do it.  

I remember one game both players and coaches clapped when a McAfee punt wasn't fielded properly, they could've easily downed it at the one but instead it ended up being a touchback.  

It seems to be more of a motivational thing like "Alright D let's get back on the field."

There are much more concerning things to say the least though about the organization as a whole. 

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

I myself have even been bugged and ticked off by this as well because as a fan because don't understand why they do it.  

I remember one game both players and coaches clapped when a McAfee punt wasn't fielded properly, they could've easily downed it at the one but instead it ended up being a touchback.  

It seems to be more of a motivational thing like "Alright D let's get back on the field."

I'm glad you mentioned this M-432 because clapping after a bad play sends a horrible message visually like way to botch that play man. Can you top it on the next down? 

You're right though. A coach is just trying to rally the troops & get them out of their doldrums etc. etc. It's tough though because if you don't inspire your players fans wonder if your heart & competitive juices are locked into the game & if you constantly get in their face like a ton of bricks some guys shutdown or checkout emotionally. 

I just don't like it when Chuck loses games, comes in for the press conference on Monday & says "gotta clean up our mistakes & what do you want me to say? I don't have a crystal ball. What's your solution?" 

Ah Chuck, I'm not the head coach of the Colts & Jimmy didn't give me a new deal to bring another Championship to the Hoosier State. That's your responsibility not mine. I'm not interested in cliches; just results & if you can't deliver we will find another HC who can. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm glad you mentioned this M-432 because clapping after a bad play sends a horrible message visually like way to botch that play man. Can you top it on the next down? 

You're right though. A coach is just trying to rally the troops & get them out of their doldrums etc. etc. It's tough though because if you don't inspire your players fans wonder if your heart & competitive juices are locked into the game & if you constantly get in their face like a ton of bricks some guys shutdown or checkout emotionally. 

I just don't like it when Chuck loses games, comes in for the press conference on Monday & says "gotta clean up our mistakes & what do you want me to say? I don't have a crystal ball. What's your solution?" 

Ah Chuck, I'm not the head coach of the Colts & Jimmy didn't give me a new deal to bring another Championship to the Hoosier State. That's your responsibility not mine. I'm not interested in cliches; just results & if you can't deliver we will find another HC who can. 

:thmup:

On 12/13/2016 at 10:31 AM, KB said:

Not surprising. I'm not on the fire Pagano bandwagon but can see where it can come from. This team can make a turnaround next season  and improvements have been seen. Next season is the tell all. If we don't make the playoffs a third time then there isn't a reason to keep him. All of the picks made thus far would have enough time to improve and find a niche I  the team.

All grigson needs to do is make sure this draft is out of this world. I don't forsee anything big happening in free agency. 

I think Grigson needs to have a good draft and I think we need to keep our guys healthy (see below).  The good thing about our team is that we are young in many positions and the players seem to be improving.  Grigson inherited, more or less, a big pile of garbage and had to clean house.  He hasn't made all the right moves in the drafts, but he's done pretty/very good in several of them.  He had to rely on signing older vets to fill voids which couldn't be addressed in the draft... Walden, Adams and DQ (until this year) are a few of the only ones that really worked out.

Anyway, if healthy, our OL should be better next year without any major additions (they seem to have improved every week, and they are young all the way across -- Clark's game last week was very positive).  The secondary, if healthy, should be good next year with the improvement of Geathers and Green.  The DL, if healthy, should be good next year with Ridgeway having another year under his belt, Anderson having another offseason to get fully healthy, etc.. The WRs should be good next year, if healthy, as TY and Moncrief as solid 1-2 punch and Dorsett and Rodgers should continue developing.  The TEs shouldn't need any additions with Doyel and Swoope developing nicely and Allen remaining solid.  The QB, if healthy, is a top 5 in the league. 

We really need to improve our LBs (it seems like we may be OK in the MLB with E-Jax and Morrison, though I'd like to see someone faster than Morrison, and Walden might have another pretty good year in him... we desperately need another rush LB, though).  We could stand to get younger at RB (although Gore seems to have some in the tank and I've been fine with the play of his back-ups).  It's always nice to get improvements at the CB position, as well.

In all, this team has many young pieces in place.  They are starting to gel (with patches of rough spots) as time goes on.  If the young guys on this team continue their development and stay healthy, we're really not that far off from being a pretty solid team (IMO, a rush LB is necessary and depth, minor improvements at other positions would be helpful).

On 12/13/2016 at 10:36 AM, CanuckColtsFan said:

Pagano doesn't catch the balls. We win the Houston game if Dorset catches a few balls and draws any coverage. On the final drive Luck wasn't going to pass to him. This season is full of game killing drops. It's become obvious we need a few more reliable receivers. Too bad Moncreif has been injured so much. The O line has been crazy injured the D line has always been missing pieces. The secondary at the beginning of the season was destroyed. Sure Pags could have overcome all this, but this season has just come together just short. 

The roster needs upgrades and healthy bodies. 

Blowing through coaches will will turn us into the Jags or Cleveland. 

Staying healthy will be key!  We've had injuries along the OL, at QB (do we win that game with Luck instead of Tolzien? If so, we're at top of the division still), at WR (both TY and Moncrief WR1&2), along the DL, in the LB corp, and in the defensive backfield (Vontae, Geathers, Adams, etc... some of our best/only defensive playmakers).

And you are right -- Pagano has made a few head-scratching calls late in games, but there have been several winnable games which were not won because the players screwed up on their end.