Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew on last play (4th & 1)

WoolMagnet

I was waiting for someone to bring this up but nobody did.

watch the end of the play when Andrew is laying on the ground staring up into the sky.  Look at his eyes and hand placement specifically.  I think he was concussed.  He's perfectly still for an uncomfortable amount of time.  Then when he's helped up, he kind of pauses mid-way and puts his helmet on the guy's hand as if to balance himself.

the hit (by 2 guys) looks innocent, but it sure looked like he was "out" for a short time.  Watch it again.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Are you implying that that play concussed him or that he was playing concussed before the play as well?  I can't look it up now but will in the morning.  

If he has that dinosaur hand thing going on then yeah he's totally concussed 

I thought concussed on the play  tho the hit didnt suggest a problem.

it looked like a far-away daze and dinosaur hands.

i agree it could have been frustration, but it looked oddly like when someone is "out" for a short time.  We've all seen it many times before on sundays.  Scary to see every time.

i'm just wondering what you all see.

I'm worried we have gone down a path that is irreversible. The David Carr kind of path. 

No star QB should be hit as much as this kid is. Is it his fault? Is it the oline's fault? Is the coaches who are at fault?

I think it's all of the above. The perfect storm: a bad oline, with bad coaching leading to bad decisions by our QB. 

I fear next season could be even worse. It takes a long time to develop an offensive line. Precious time that we don't have.

He seemed mad to me. Honestly, him being concussed would have been less surprising than the anger though. Andrew getting mad is like the Hulk playing dress up with kids: It's something that never happens. What it shows confirms our suspicions: the Colts are in worse shape than we thought.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm worried we have gone down a path that is irreversible. The David Carr kind of path. 

No star QB should be hit as much as this kid is. Is it his fault? Is it the oline's fault? Is the coaches who are at fault?

I think it's all of the above. The perfect storm: a bad oline, with bad coaching leading to bad decisions by our QB. 

I fear next season could be even worse. It takes a long time to develop an offensive line. Precious time that we don't have.

That scares me too. And pisses me off thinking about.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I couldn't understand in this game why Andrew seemed so Hesitant to take off and run? Outside of that one read option run that picked up 30 yards he just stayed in the pocket even when everything w

as covered up.

Cause Andrew is a team player to a fault. They put in his head the importance he is to the team due to last year's kidney laceration. Before that, in his first 3 years Andrew took off in a moments notice. You can see the hesitation in him. He doesn't wanna let the team down by getting injured again.

It's frustrating to watch. Especially in the London game vs Jacksonville where he could've took off on that 4th & 1 but he threw it to Dwayne Allen who was stone hands Allen at that time in the year 

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Cause Andrew is a team player to a fault. They put in his head the importance he is to the team due to last year's kidney laceration. Before that, in his first 3 years Andrew took off in a moments notice. You can see the hesitation in him. He doesn't wanna let the team down by getting injured again.

It's frustrating to watch. Especially in the London game vs Jacksonville where he could've took off on that 4th & 1 but he threw it to Dwayne Allen who was stone hands Allen at that time in the year 

You don't worry about that in a Game 7 atmosphere.  He had already took off and run for 30 plus yards on a read option.   Run the damn ball and slide!   I get what you're saying overall though.     I'm sure he's going to run a couple times against the Vikings and that's the irony of the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

If he didn't agree with the call, and saw the defensive alignment...why didn't he audible out of it?  System QB all the way?

if yu dnt understand every Qb runs a system effective or not idk what to say

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Pagano and grigson are going to ruin his career.

3 hours ago, MFT5 said:

if yu dnt understand every Qb runs a system effective or not idk what to say

Guess you missed the point, or I didn't make it well.  By "system QB" - I meant one who nearly always runs the play he is told to run - even if it is a terrible play for the defensive alignment.  Because ... wait for it...they don't read really read defenses well.  A former Colts QB would have changed the call at the line and gotten the best play off for the defense he saw.  Maybe.

31 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Guess you missed the point, or I didn't make it well.  By "system QB" - I meant one who nearly always runs the play he is told to run - even if it is a terrible play for the defensive alignment.  Because ... wait for it...they don't read really read defenses well.  A former Colts QB would have changed the call at the line and gotten the best play off for the defense he saw.  Maybe.

I think people that are expecting Luck to mirror a once in a lifetime qb are just asking for too much. Every qb is different. People that think just because he went to Stanford and that he is a smart young man that he will be able read defenses and check calls at the line I think just don't realize how special PEYTON was and how rare that is. There are a few special qbs that come along like a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. Even most good qbs like Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Eli, and Matt Ryan have their short comings. I think at this point it is safe to say Andrew is closer to that Big Ben style and ability as far as potential goes and should adjust their expectations. Andrew may one day be the best QB in the league but I don't see the cerebral assassin in this kid. I see blood, guts, and athleticism in this kid. Maybe the offense could be changed so that it is easier to run from the line of scrimmage and predict defenses that could definitely help but maybe some people just need to temper their expectations of Mr. Luck. To think he was going to be PM 2.0 would be foolish. Let's realize his skillset and expect him to be the best AL he can be.

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think people that are expecting Luck to mirror a once in a lifetime qb are just asking for too much. Every qb is different. People that think just because he went to Stanford and that he is a smart young man that he will be able read defenses and check calls at the line I think just don't realize how special PEYTON was and how rare that is. There are a few special qbs that come along like a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. Even most good qbs like Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Eli, and Matt Ryan have their short comings. I think at this point it is safe to say Andrew is closer to that Big Ben style and ability as far as potential goes and should adjust their expectations. Andrew may one day be the best QB in the league but I don't see the cerebral assassin in this kid. I see blood, guts, and athleticism in this kid. Maybe the offense could be changed so that it is easier to run from the line of scrimmage and predict defenses that could definitely help but maybe some people just need to temper their expectations of Mr. Luck. To think he was going to be PM 2.0 would be foolish. Let's realize his skillset and expect him to be the best AL he can be.

I see you agree.  He's a great young man, I agree.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I dnt think anyone realizes how BAD this staff has shown themselves to be ... I dnt claim to be an expert Qb guru but Andrew Lucks is a perfect imperfection ... he will do to a fault what is asked of him even if detrimental to the whole. Rookie & 3rd year Luck almost threw for 5000 yards.

Yes he's human but pagano won't allow him to thrive. 

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

I dnt think anyone realizes how BAD this staff has shown themselves to be ... I dnt claim to be an expert Qb guru but Andrew Lucks is a perfect imperfection ... he will do to a fault what is asked of him even if detrimental to the whole. Rookie & 3rd year Luck almost threw for 5000 yards.

Yes he's human but pagano won't allow him to thrive. 

Agree...so as the "Field General" - he has to recognize bad calls and coaching and make the team HIS.

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Agree...so as the "Field General" - he has to recognize bad calls and coaching and make the team HIS.

true. and I will always equate this part of Andrews psyche to that of Peytons, where you. would see him not taking the underneath recirvers almost to the belief he was conceding to the defense and later on he learned to be patient and let the big plays make themselves. 

Andrew has to learn that isn't God speaking thru his headset and he is THE biggest pendulum in the organization until he's married with a coach he can stand with (*prays* Josh McDaniels) 

8 hours ago, krunk said:

I couldn't understand in this game why Andrew seemed so Hesitant to take off and run? Outside of that one read option run that picked up 30 yards he just stayed in the pocket even when everything w

as covered up.

I don't know if it will be a popular take, but the Colts should call designed run plays for him. It doesn't have to be many, maybe 3-5 a game, he runs pretty fast for a guy his size. Why not? He has learned to slide too so its not like hes gonna let himself get killed. I feel like he and the Colts don't use his running abilities enough.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

as covered up.

Because Andrew is a  Yes Man and if the coach calls the play he's gonna run that play 50000% I haven't seen him change a play all year and it's easy to notice this when you've watched Peyton change the play 6-10 times within the play clock lol...I made this point in another thread that he has to change his demeanor and attitude this is his team his offense he needs to take authority run plays he thinks will work  sometimes and he doesn't have that down at all even Ryan T on the Dolphins has the authority to run his own offense..idk if it's The coaches not letting Andrew change things but he needs to asap 

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't know if it will be a popular take, but the Colts should call designed run plays for him. It doesn't have to be many, maybe 3-5 a game, he runs pretty fast for a guy his size. Why not? He has learned to slide too so its not like hes gonna let himself get killed. I feel like he and the Colts don't use his running abilities enough.

He doesn't Run bc they whine about him being hit and after that concussion they probably whined even more..honestly let the man play his style of football just tell him to slide  don't tell him he shouldn't run because of risk of injury 

8 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I don't think he's concussed but I'm sure these hits are taking a toll on him.  Year in and year out he gets the snot knocked out of him.  They have a lot of work to do, I'm worried for his health.  

It's not going to get any easier this Sunday.  

If it keeps up, I wouldn't blame him for leaving to a better team.

15 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was waiting for someone to bring this up but nobody did.

watch the end of the play when Andrew is laying on the ground staring up into the sky.  Look at his eyes and hand placement specifically.  I think he was concussed.  He's perfectly still for an uncomfortable amount of time.  Then when he's helped up, he kind of pauses mid-way and puts his helmet on the guy's hand as if to balance himself.

the hit (by 2 guys) looks innocent, but it sure looked like he was "out" for a short time.  Watch it again.

I think you're overthinking it.  I didn't get that implication at all and besides, we're not doctors.  I think we can leave that determination for the guys who watch for this stuff and flag anything that visually appears to be signs of concussion.  

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm still asking myself the question how we run for 100 plus yards on them in game one, and we turn around in this game and run Gore for 10 carries?  And the funny thing is he still ran for over 4 YPC and these Dummies still persisted on throwing the football down after down when you could see Luck was a little bit out of whack with his decision making.   Calm things down and establish a rythm with your bell cow and hit up some play action.  Why do we persist on breaking out our dunce hats in these critical moments every single time?

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I would not compare any QB to Manning, but a basic premise behind being the most NFL ready QB coming out of college in 20 years, the number one pick, and getting a $100 million contract is that he can see when the called play is not matched up well against the defensive alignment.

BTW, how in the world is Chud or any OC supposed to know who will be lining up over the TE (Clowney) or how a screen pass looks to fare with any given defense?  The defense doesn't line up until the offense breaks huddle.  

What's Chud suppose to do, read the defense from the box then audible to Luck?  No,Luck is suppose to see terrible match ups and adjust the play accordingly if he deserves $100 million.

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think you're overthinking it.  I didn't get that implication at all and besides, we're not doctors.  I think we can leave that determination for the guys who watch for this stuff and flag anything that visually appears to be signs of concussion.  

Andrew of s a unique dude.  I'm no doctor either.  I just don't ever remember any other QB DOIN THE "manequin pose" laying on the ground motion nless for 10 or so seconds.  It just seemed odd.

i'm sure i'm wrong as SOMEONE on the staff would have noticed (i hope).

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm still asking myself the question how we run for 100 plus yards on them in game one, and we turn around in this game and run Gore for 10 carries?  And the funny thing is he still ran for over 4 YPC and these Dummies still persisted on throwing the football down after down when you could see Luck was a little bit out of whack with his decision making.   Calm things down and establish a rythm with your bell cow and hit up some play action.  Why do we persist on breaking out our dunce hats in these critical moments every single time?

I think Gore might have tweaked his ankle.  Early in the game he was tackled and the guy twisted his leg.  Frank was visibly upset at the guy.  I remember noticing he wasnt in the game for a while.  He was running HARD early too.