Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts got better or is Green Bay really that bad?

deedub75

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And we all know how Bogie feels about Luck.     Over-rated.

He just can't help himself......

You know I'm just going to say this now because I'm sure the experts will still say luck needs to clean up the mistakes which don't get me wrong it wouldn't be a lie but if he can throw 2 picks against a good team and we still win ill take it every time.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Rodgers isn't over rated. We just played good defense today. Tackling was much improved and so was the coverage.

I thought the coverage was hit or miss. There were some guys left wide open in the second half, and let's not forget the TD that Butler gave up to Nelson where he was right on the ball (actually touched it) but didn't knock it down. He was actually in perfect position to intercept it. Redeemed himself with the INT later though. And Melvin played well. Up and down performance by the secondary if we're being honest.

It was a funny type of game. In the build up, most of the talk was about the miss match of Green Bay's pass rush against the Colts weak offensive line. I thought the Packers really showed their hands too much in going all out, and left themselves open down the center (Dorsett Hilton and Doyle all had first downs in this area in the 4th quarter). Credit to Pagano and all of his coaching staff, they called a good game today.

48 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thought the coverage was hit or miss. There were some guys left wide open in the second half, and let's not forget the TD that Butler gave up to Nelson where he was right on the ball (actually touched it) but didn't knock it down. He was actually in perfect position to intercept it. Redeemed himself with the INT later though. And Melvin played well. Up and down performance by the secondary if we're being honest.

Coverage was good for most of the game except for points of the 4th quarter. Especially considering Rogers had enough time in the pocket to go to sleep.

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can only hold coverage for so long. Had 3 sacks today but much of the gave there was very little pass rush. That's why they were taking those deep shots. They knew they had all day to throw.

I think it wasn't a perfect game by any means but it's certainly the best the Colts have played in a while so fair credit to the staff and players. It sounds odd but it was good to see us win a game where Luck wasn't completely amazing. I know he came back strongly but when he threw those 2 picks I did wonder if we were in for a repeat of KC, 

Secondary played very well for me, and the pass rush wasn't as bad as I feared. We were able to bring pressure on Rodgers at times but he's a slippery QB to pin down as we saw. His mobility is crazy. I've often thought his line is great at giving him time to throw but how much is down to his ability to extend a play? 

Let's hope we can carry this momentum through the bye, heal up (Langford, Davis, Allen, Hilton and give Luck's shoulder a rest) and come back with a statement game against the Titans. 

Oh, and the squirrel is staying till we lose next. 

11 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think it wasn't a perfect game by any means but it's certainly the best the Colts have played in a while so fair credit to the staff and players. It sounds odd but it was good to see us win a game where Luck wasn't completely amazing. I know he came back strongly but when he threw those 2 picks I did wonder if we were in for a repeat of KC, 

Secondary played very well for me, and the pass rush wasn't as bad as I feared. We were able to bring pressure on Rodgers at times but he's a slippery QB to pin down as we saw. His mobility is crazy. I've often thought his line is great at giving him time to throw but how much is down to his ability to extend a play? 

Let's hope we can carry this momentum through the bye, heal up (Langford, Davis, Allen, Hilton and give Luck's shoulder a rest) and come back with a statement game against the Titans. 

Oh, and the squirrel is staying till we lose next. 

The Squirrel is our new good LUCK charm. That should be our new mascot.

Another Great win in Andrew Luck's career outside of the Division. He has now beat Peyton 3 times - Playoffs once, Rodgers twice, Dalton twice - Playoffs once, Wilson, Flacco, Rivers, Stafford, Eli, A. Smith - Playoffs, and Kaepernick when the 49ers were Very Good in 2013. Some people saying we cant beat Very Good/Great teams outside of the Division in this era are way off base. We just haven't been able to beat Tom Brady so our record outside of the Division is skewed being 0-5 against the Pats.

Todman set the stage for the whole game IMO. I couldn't believe we got a kick return finally. I can't remember the last one we had. But yeah, that gave us the confidence we needed for that game. 

Side note- the defense played surprisingly well! Aside from the 4th qtr where the Packers were making their comeback, I was really impressed. 

4 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

Todman set the stage for the whole game IMO. I couldn't believe we got a kick return finally. I can't remember the last one we had. But yeah, that gave us the confidence we needed for that game. 

Side note- the defense played surprisingly well! Aside from the 4th qtr where the Packers were making their comeback, I was really impressed. 

Deji Karim 101 yard punt return in 2012 against the Texans. It's been a little bit.

With our front seven giving Rodgers all week to throw, our secondary played their butts off yesterday. 

Our pass pro/running lanes were both better, and I thought Gore ran for way more yards than he did. He looked awesome. 

I think it helped that Green Bay isn't very good. Those refs were sure doing everything they could to help them too. 

16 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

With our front seven giving Rodgers all week to throw, our secondary played their butts off yesterday. 

Our pass pro/running lanes were both better, and I thought Gore ran for way more yards than he did. He looked awesome. 

I think it helped that Green Bay isn't very good. Those refs were sure doing everything they could to help them too. 

That's a good point. We have to realize that GB isn't very good. They are using receivers as running backs. For me,this one game doesn't cover up how bad the Colts have played all season nor does it scream a big turn around. Let me see them duplicate this play a few times. 

12 hours ago, IinD said:

I won't believe a win vs Pit until I see it. They always are an annoying team against us. Granted we've beat them a couple times over the years, but they have our number lately.

The same was said about the Chargers, but we won that one. 

Getting a win in a place most teams don't is good in itself. That was a very good win no matter how good Green Bay is or isnt. Road wins in truly hostile stadiums are hard to get but we did.

It was good to see Dorsett, Moncrief, and Hilton make big plays in the same game 

It was a good win.  Obviously the Colts still have some issues with pass rush, consistent blocking, playing really soft in the last 5 minutes ( I mean come on, how many of us felt the Colts would lose if Hilton didn't make that catch?) and predictable play calling.

But all phases contributed to the win, all three phases made plays and the Colts won.  Like Andy Reid is fond of saying... in the end it doesn't matter how you won, it just matters how many you won.

I thought our D-Line played the best that we've seen this year so far. Jackson was spying on Rodgers which kept his direction in check a lot. Seemed like we had a lot of pressure getting to him, just a bit slow at times but I'm just glad we got through their O-Line. Was actually strange to see since we don't have any playmakers really. Melvin had a nice game.

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Best Pagano coached game since the Denver win last year. The staff really nailed it. Hopefully it becomes a trend for the rest of the year.

I really felt the staff did a great job at taking what Green Bay was giving them. One of the most consistent complaints about this team is that they constantly try to force square pegs in round holes. Sunday, they played to their strengths. Monachino slid Geathers down to ILB and left Butler at safety. Outside of a few catches, I think this helped us immensely covering the TE's and RB's in intermediate routes. Plus, Butler is probably our best guy in the secondary making plays on the ball. Outside of the miss to Nelson for GB's first touchdown, I thought he played great on the back end.

On offense, we stayed aggressive with the lead. When GB loaded up the box to stop obvious run situations on 1st down late, we went play action and threw the ball down the field. It's everything we've been waiting for the last 2-3 years out of this offense. Hope they continue to make those calls.

Meant to add in my post above, that drive before half was football perfection. The clock management and play-calling were masterful and Luck executed perfectly. To march 96 yards in 5 and a half minutes leaving 11 seconds on the clock was probably the best sequence we've seen out of this team in 2 years.

30 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

But I thought the commercial said that nobody comes into that house without paying the price.   I guess Rogers, Matthews et all need to stop saying that

Before yesterday everyone thought GB was a Good team at worse if not a Top 10 team and nobody picked us to win. 2 of GB's losses were by 1 point in Atlanta and by 3 points in Minnesota prior to yesterday. I even had us losing but now that we beat them the media and certain people are trying to say GB stinks. GB is a Good team who is going through a rough patch but they are barely losing games and they have a Great QB. We could beat the Patriots in NE and people would still find a way to poo poo it, SMH. The same negative nellies would probably say Tom Brady is old if we beat them in a Playoff situation.

13 hours ago, 19colt said:

He still has insanely good pass pro and doesn't take full advantage. Only Brady gets comparable pass pro. 

Other than a few open deep passes he missed his receivers are like ours can't get open on press man and their drops didn't help him lol

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ind-gb-grades/

Here is PFF Grades on the game. Overall I'd say it wasn't pretty but we did enough to win as well. Had that Green Bay offense been its usual self I don't think it would have been pretty. Fortunately they have some of that funky water prior to the Water Boy affecting them on the field or something. Glad we came away with a win....What does Todman have to do to get offensive snaps!?

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Here is PFF Grades on the game. Overall I'd say it wasn't pretty but we did enough to win as well. Had that Green Bay offense been its usual self I don't think it would have been pretty. Fortunately they have some of that funky water prior to the Water Boy affecting them on the field or something. Glad we came away with a win....What does Todman have to do to get offensive snaps!?

He was asked after the game he said had a undisclosed illness lol after that second run back that's why they put Hilton back there afterwards 

Rodgers is in a pretty bad slump, has been for a while now.

Missed like 3-4 wide open guys yesterday, 2 could've probably been a TD.

Then again, it happens every game, you could say Luck missed some throws too.

Either way, they looked terrible and we were slightly less terrible. But a win is a win, it was a fun 4th Q.

How about those clutch 3rd downs for Luck? The guy is so fun to watch when games are coming down to the wire.

36 minutes ago, Gavin said:

The GB offense hasn't been its usual self for a while now.  Save for a game here and there.

One game at a time, but looking back over the Texans schedule again they have Jaguars, Raiders,  Packers, Chargers, Colts.  I believe they will lose at least 2-3 of those games.   If we just continue to play well I think we may be able to get in that number 1 spot in the division.   Let's get this win over Tennesse!

3 hours ago, BCoop said:

I really felt the staff did a great job at taking what Green Bay was giving them. One of the most consistent complaints about this team is that they constantly try to force square pegs in round holes. Sunday, they played to their strengths. Monachino slid Geathers down to ILB and left Butler at safety. Outside of a few catches, I think this helped us immensely covering the TE's and RB's in intermediate routes. Plus, Butler is probably our best guy in the secondary making plays on the ball. Outside of the miss to Nelson for GB's first touchdown, I thought he played great on the back end.

On offense, we stayed aggressive with the lead. When GB loaded up the box to stop obvious run situations on 1st down late, we went play action and threw the ball down the field. It's everything we've been waiting for the last 2-3 years out of this offense. Hope they continue to make those calls.

Butler played really well. Honestly, our DBs as a whole played well. Besides a few plays here or there, I thought Green played decently too.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This game reminded me of the Denver Playoff game in Denver 2014.

Me too.
 The game where Manning couldn`t throw the ball over 10 yards downfield accurately.
 Yesterday we have Green Bay playing with no running backs, so we wisely rush 3 for much of the game.
 Rogers goes long all game long and misses time after time.
 We returned a kickoff for a TD. lol