Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What did ya'll think of haeg and goode on the right side?

VaAllDay757

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Breaking Down OL tape was my job for nearly 10 years so I do it every week

Well if you thought he was great today then I can see why you lost your job.  He was the worst Olinman today   Good was close to as bad but Haeg was the worst

He went through some growing pains today as expected. He is stout in the run game, but missed some assignments in the pass game. I look to see him improve with more starting reps I also think the more he plays and builds chemistry with Good the right side should solidify more and more each week. I am curious to see how he plays against a speed rusher during the next few games.

We know what we have in Reitz, he is a solid backup swing tackle. Why not give a young player with a bright future a shot to secure a future position on the right side of the line. I am personally all for Haeg getting an opportunity. Hopefully he makes the best of it.

IMHO, he's looks like he has a future, but what happened to Haeg today, and last Sunday, is the same as what happened to him in preseason, he got rocked onto his heals and tossed aside quickly a hand full of times during the game. He needs more strength and some technical work to correct that flaw. Also, IMHO, Jeremy Vujnovich played better than Haeg in the preseason.

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Well we should be asking you then.  What is your assessment from what you've seen?  Does this kid have a future?

Not that PT isn't qualified to answer and he can, but I know Howard Mudd really likes Haeg. Howard Mudd would definitely know a talented lineman. 

3 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

I thought he had some nice plays today (some bad ones too). What do you think about him at RT over Joe R?

Joe Haeg may someday be a very good RT.

But that day was not today.      Joe had a very long and difficult day.      I think he gave up 3 sacks, and maybe even more.       He's learning on the job.      Hopefully, he learns fast.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Haeg did alright. Most of the pressure came in the form of "stunts"  It was not like Haeg just kept getting beaten man on man. Leave Haeg in there. he will get better. We know what Reitz can do.

Good stinking up the joint didn't help Haeg out either.

I guess there was a reason NFL teams passed on him until the later rounds.  Our best linemen were drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  Shame we didn't pull the trigger on Whitehair.  We would have been set at every offensive line position except RT this early in the season.  Not trying to play Monday morning QB with the draft, but I really wanted Kelly and Whitehair.  Hoping Haeg, Good, and or Clark develop, but not holding my breath.  We need to Keep Luck healthy for another 15 years and I'm probably one of the few on here that would be ok with the Colts taking someone like Feeney in the 1st.  OT class seems to be weak so that would be a good excuse for Grigs and Co. to give Haeg, Good, and Clark another year to prove they can play RT in the NFL.  

Also wouldn't be opposed to taking a stud RB in the 2nd.  Everybody says RB's can be taken in the later rounds, but that logic doesn't make sense, at least when applied to the Colts.  The only years we have had a good running game is when we had either Dickerson, Faulk, James, or Addai.  All 1st round picks.  Brown was the anomaly.  Flame away.  And yes, I'm aware we need edge rushers and ILB's, but Luck is priority one and I don't see his pass protection getting much better with the current line.  At least the right side.  Number 50 rocked him today.  His head hit the turf hard.  Grigson needs to keep using high draft picks until its fixed because he sucks at finding OL talent via FA.

Haeg needs to get stronger, and he needs to stop reaching and lunging, stay over his feet, keep his head up and his hands inside. Simple, fundamental stuff, plus some time in the weight room.

Good needs to keep his head up and stay over his feet.

They both have the physical tools and the awareness, I think. Just need time and to build some chemistry. And lots of coaching.

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Haeg needs to get stronger, and he needs to stop reaching and lunging, stay over his feet, keep his head up and his hands inside. Simple, fundamental stuff, plus some time in the weight room.

Good needs to keep his head up and stay over his feet.

They both have the physical tools and the awareness, I think. Just need time and to build some chemistry. And lots of coaching.

Haeg also looked like he got caught up on the balls of his feet which lead to a sack early in the 4th quarter. What would you do if you were the coach? Leave him in and let him grow or put Reitz back in? I would think  Reitz would be better in the short term particularly for Lucks health but the way he has played this year I don't know. Haeg is the future I think but again that's causing Luck to be under a lot of duress and take abuse. I'd probably just leave Haeg in but that's clearly more an indictment of Reitz play this year than more so than anything to do with Haeg

I look forward to the day when Denzelle Good drops some serious tonnage.

I mean,  355 is just ridiculous.

If he shows up at that weight next year.....    I will be one unhappy fan.

He's had a bad back already this year.....   and I think I have 355 good reasons why.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's had a bad back already this year.....   and I think I have 355 good reasons why.....

I think we debated over Goodes weight on whether it was intentional or not. Might have been him. Maybe another O Lineman. Anyway if he shows up to TC at or close to the same weight and is out shape I'd probably end up cutting him. He simply is nowhere near good enough nor has the upside in my opinion to wait for him to get in shape

13 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think we debated over Goodes weight on whether it was intentional or not. Might have been him. Maybe another O Lineman. Anyway if he shows up to TC at or close to the same weight and is out shape I'd probably end up cutting him. He simply is nowhere near good enough nor has the upside in my opinion to wait for him to get in shape

Since there's no other OL with a weight problem, I can only assume it was Good.

He should be closer to 325.     Even that would make him our biggest OL along with Reitz.

No one needs to be 355 --- ever.

I'm not even sure the coaches view him as out of shape.    So, I don't know if he'd be cut next year if he shows up again at that number.      I guess it would depend on whether he's been given orders to lose the weight --- or else!

That kind of things really bothers me.....     there's just no excuse for it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want him to weigh zero pounds?  For his health and ability to block, I hope he doesn't lose that much weight

Joe H. needs to get stronger and learn leverage on big guys.

Good Has a problem with focusing on one guy and not seeing an end around.

But for their credit:

Joe can move his feet well and keeps himself balanced when dealing with speed. (something we've been sorely lacking this year so far)

Good's man (the one he focus' on) almost never gets by him. You see him a lot still pushing his man around in the linebacker level when the play is done.

P.S. I have NO issue with Goods weight.  He uses it well.  He keeps other Big strong D-linemen out of the backfield.  This is his biggest upside.   1v1 against the biggest/strongest d-linemen he has faced this year, they have not sniffed the QB or the ball.  It's his awareness of delayed blitzes and end arounds that get him.  And that is coachable. Besides...does he really LOOK so overwieght?  I don't think so, it is proportioned quite well.

Both are about average. The offensive line isn't as bas as some make it out to be. Yes, Luck has been sacked 20 times but some of those are from him holding on to the ball long and from coverage sacks. We avg 27 ppg which is 7th in the league and this is with an injured Moncrief. The offense is not the problem it's the defense.  

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Both are about average. The offensive line isn't as bas as some make it out to be. Yes, Luck has been sacked 20 times but some of those are from him holding on to the ball long and from coverage sacks. We avg 27 ppg which is 7th in the league and this is with an injured Moncrief. The offense is not the problem it's the defense.  

Agree'd.  Most of the sacks seem to be coverage sacks.  If you count to 3, and he's not been hit yet,..the o-line has done it's job...it's on the QB after that. (and some on the recievers, but a QB needs to know when to get rid of the rock)

I thought the bears were exploiting Good by sending 2-3 guys on that side. They got through a few times. I think if we had somebody in the back field like Gore, he would have picked up the block. It doesn't always work like that, though. I think they did ok but not great.

I still am in awe that we aren't giving a rookie right tackle ANY SORT OF HELP. No chips from TE's, RB's, extra guy covering......nothing. That guy (I don't even know his name) across from Haeg had 3 sacks!!

What on God's green Earth is this coaching staff thinking? They are OK with Luck getting sacked 5+ times a game. 

Image result for seems fine to me gif