Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief out 4-6 weeks

snkdy

1 minute ago, BCoop said:

I'm fine not playing the Broncos until the playoffs every year at this point. Henry and Andrew last year, Moncrief this year. Knowing the Colts, I'm guessing he comes back after the bye.

Reggie the year before....we really are unlucky when we play them.

I'll also say I think this affects the offense more than losing either TY or Dorsett would. Moncrief provides the most flexibility out of all of our receivers and is by far the best red zone threat. We'll find out real quick how much Dorsett has improved this year. To this point, he hasn't been asked to do much more than be a deep threat. That won't last with Moncrief out.

Guessing we see a lot of two TE sets as well to get more short yardage options on the field.

4 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I'll also say I think this affects the offense more than losing either TY or Dorsett would. Moncrief provides the most flexibility out of all of our receivers and is by far the best red zone threat. We'll find out real quick how much Dorsett has improved this year. To this point, he hasn't been asked to do much more than be a deep threat. That won't last with Moncrief out.

Guessing we see a lot of two TE sets as well to get more short yardage options on the field.

I don't want us going empty backfield as much to keep the TE and RB pass catching options still open and still have a TE out there to assist with blocking.

ACE formations with 2 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 RB is what Peyton ran most of the time with Dilger and Pollard, time to bring out most of those plays back. Time to run it hard and exploit single safety match ups with TY and Dorsett's speed.

This article is always a good read:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-breaking-down-the-Colts/

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

We often go to 12 personnel in short yardage and goal line situations anyway. I don't have all of the stats on this yet, but it is something I have been following (observing). We tend to use a lot of 11 personnel until we get to the red zone, and then we switch to more 12.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There are less mouths to feed at the WR position now, so it should actually simplify things a bit when Luck's going through his reads. It really sucks though because Moncrief is easily the most versatile receiver of the group, especially in red zone situations.

I am not sure I follow. The goal of scanning the field is to find an open receiver and then throw the ball. On every play Andrew has a set of reads and a set order to read them in. The coaches designing the plays decide that. If any one of the options are open then it's Andrews job to throw the ball. He doesn't have time to scan the field, and see who is the most open. And it's not his job to make sure everyone gets an equal amount of targets. That is all on the coaches and the play calling. 

Moncrief gets a lot of targets, because he is usually an early read and he is often open. 

I agree that we are definitely going to miss him, especially in the red zone. 

This is why I was adamant that we needed a veteran WR behind our big 3 all offseason... it seemed inevitable that one or more of our WRs would get injured and already, here we are.  Worse yet, our two small guys are left and that means not long until a second one gets dinged up or worse.  Sure, it makes drafting Dorsett look good, but he's not a red zone receiver and neith is Hilton.  They need to adjust using our TEs.  Time for Swoope to earn his keep!  

32 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It wasn't so much the hit. It was how Luck threw it so high that he hung Moncrief out to dry.

Luck has a high release point, which seems to lead to high throws and STILL he has tons of batted passes this year.  Not sure what else he can do. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not sure I follow. The goal of scanning the field is to find an open receiver and then throw the ball. On every play Andrew has a set of reads and a set order to read them in. The coaches designing the plays decide that. If any one of the options are open then it's Andrews job to throw the ball. He doesn't have time to scan the field, and see who is the most open. And it's not his job to make sure everyone gets an equal amount of targets. That is all on the coaches and the play calling. 

Moncrief gets a lot of targets, because he is usually an early read and he is often open. 

To the portion in bold: I remember last year when Luck and Hasselbeck were injured, we had signed two QBs and both played. Josh Freeman played most of the game and then the other QB came in just during 2-minute situations. This allowed both QBs to learn just a portion of the playbook and not be overwhelmed.

I wonder if they will use Street only in the red zone? He isn't a burner, but a good possession and red zone threat. This will allow him to learn just a few plays and get into the game, especially with only 1 week of practice.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Maybe the part about "Luck going through his reads" wasn't the best wording, but I do believe that while the entire offense is still adapting to the new scheme, simplifying things a bit could help. Not suggesting Moncrief being out for a month is a good thing, at all, but I don't think that's going to be the nail in the coffin for this offense.

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What?

Specifically to Moncrief - he got hit very hard and broke a freaking bone in his shoulder.  What is the strength staff supposed to do with that?

To the general question of the Colts' training staff being adequate - none of us, and I mean none of us, who waste time on this message board has a clue about the quality of the Colts' training staff.  You pulled directly out of the Message Board Fanboy Guide - if players get hurt playing football, it is the strength / conditioning staff's fault.  This rule is right between ESPN hates us and the Refs are out to Get Us.  

41 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

I'm not sure why the questioning of the Colts S&C program bothers you?

This was a big discussion last year.    The first four years of the Grigson era saw the Colts always among the league leaders in games lost due to injuries.       And there were certain teams who always seemed to be among the leaders in fewest games lost due to injuries.

On the college level,  Stanford (Before Harbaugh) went from being among the nations leaders in MOST games lost due to injuries to (with Harbaugh and Shaw and a new S&C approach)  the Cardinal has about an 8 year track record of being among the nations leaders in fewest games lost for injury.

Perhaps none of what has happened to the Colts would've changed with a different S&C program?    I don't know.       But I thought we did hear this off-season that we got a new S&C team and a new approach.    Clearly we'd like better results.     Can we get them?      Not so far,  but it's early.

As fans,  we may not know for sure that it's the fault of our S&C team,  but I think the answer is more complex than......    it's football,  guys get hurt,   it's a violent game.  

Just a different perspective.      Sorry it went so long.

19 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Specifically to Moncrief - he got hit very hard and broke a freaking bone in his shoulder.  What is the strength staff supposed to do with that?

To the general question of the Colts' training staff being adequate - none of us, and I mean none of us, who waste time on this message board has a clue about the quality of the Colts' training staff.  You pulled directly out of the Message Board Fanboy Guide - if players get hurt playing football, it is the strength / conditioning staff's fault.  This rule is right between ESPN hates us and the Refs are out to Get Us.  

Holy cow dude, the whole comment was tongue in cheek.  I even put "/sarcasm" at the end.  You're taking this entirely too seriously.  

Dangit. We're gonna miss him for sure. I think we saw the effects of his absence last game as well. Even when Moncrief isn't getting a boatload of catches, he's a good enough player that allows some other guys to get open. Oh well. Time to adjust and move on. Dorsett's gotta step up, and perhaps they try using Doyle and Swoope more. 

40 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Holy cow dude, the whole comment was tongue in cheek.  I even put "/sarcasm" at the end.  You're taking this entirely too seriously.  

I took your sarcasm remark toward the Pagano yelling at them comment.  Apologies for apparently misunderstanding.