Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF OL Scores through 2 Games

bigt

Good                     47.9             Poor

Reitz                      48.3             Poor

Kelly                      54.8             Poor

Castonzo               74.2             Average

Mewhort                 76.0            Average

No real surprises other than I thought Kelly would be higher, but I still love his play.  He will get better.  Reitz will not.  Good is still a question mark.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its actually surprising to me that Good has the worst grade. Just from the eye test of myslf your average fan I'd rank our OL best-worst Mewhort Good Castanzo Kelly Reitz. Mewhort and Castanzo are our best 2 pass protecters but Good and Kelly seem to be our best run blockers and Reitz is well...Reitz, average backup tackle.

42 minutes ago, bigt said:

No real surprises other than I thought Kelly would be higher, but I still love his play.  He will get better.  Reitz will not.  Good is still a question mark.

34 minutes ago, bigt said:

Actually, Ryan Kelly had the highest score of anyone against the Broncos at 78.9 and Mewhort came in at number 2.

On defense, D Jackson had the highest score of 85.

What am I missing? How are these not contradictory?

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

What am I missing? How are these not contradictory?

If I understand correctly,   the first set of scores for the starting o-line is through 2 games.

The 2nd Kelly score is his Denver grade.

But if that's so,  shouldn't Kelly's score for Detroit be incredibly low?      And I thought his score was pretty decent?

So,  it feels like something is not adding up right.........?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I understand correctly,   the first set of scores for the starting o-line is through 2 games.

But if that's so,  shouldn't Kelly's score for Detroit be incredibly low?      And I thought his score was pretty decent?

PFF had Kelly at 79.3 against the Lions, so yeah, something isn't adding up right...

Yeah, I remembered him and the left side of the line were all average against the Lions.  Actually, Castonzo was above average.  They do have Kelly shown at 54.8 on the player grades so, yes, they did screw something up.  I only found his 78 score against Broncos when I actually read the article.  At least we know we are at least average for C, LG, and LT.  We need to experiment a bit with the right side of line.

Here is the ranking of our guards through 2 games:

Overall     Overall             Pass Block               Run Block

Jack Mewhort         28th         76 -  Ave          80.8 - Above Ave     72.1 - Average

Denzelle Good       59th         47.9-Poor         39.1 - Poor               70  -  Average

Only 3 other guards have a lower score than Good in Pass Blocking

Here is the ranking of our OT's through 2 games:

Anthony Castonzo  38th         74.2 - Ave        75.1  - Ave               70.4 - Ave

Joe Reitz                 49th         48.3 - Poor      47.5 - Poor               50.9 - Poor

And finally, our center, which doesn't add up.        

Ryan Kelly             24th          54.8 - Poor      74.6 - Ave                47.2

This is PFF so take it with a grain of salt.

On the bright side, Luck is ranked number 2 overall.                                      

As far as defense and this is UGLY.

Our best CB through 2 games is Rashaan Melvin ranked 40th

Our best safety through 2 games is Mike Adams ranked 16th (best ranking for us)

Our best ILB through 2 games is Sio Moore ranked 59th (ugh)

Our best OLB through 2 games is Trent Cole at 40th

The rankings for out whole dline (may I suggest a stiff drink after reading this)

McGill               75th

Kerr                  101st

Ridgeway          102nd

Parry                 107th

Langford           113th

The lowest they go on dline is 115th.  WOW.  What doesn't add up is how the games have been relatively competitive. Adams and Luck are the only ones performing at a high level.  Everyone else is average to very poor (worst in the league poor).

I don't know if I agree with these rankings.  I think Good has done a fairly "good" job and I think our O line has done much better than previous years though they did struggle against one of the better defenses in Denver. I personally think that if you put a little more dynamic back in the backfield, their ratings will improve. I think Gore and Turbin should be sharing the workload. 

How is it possible?

PFF week 1.

Ryan Kelly 79.3.

Anthony Castonzo 78.0.

Denzelle Good 75.6.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-det-ind-grades-andrew-luck-earns-weeks-highest-qb-grade-in-colts-loss/

ColtsLegacy week 1.

Anthony Castonzo 82.1.

Jack Mewhort 75.5.

Ryan Kelly 75.6.

Denzelle Good 78.9.

Joe Reitz 54.3.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/47300-pff-grades-luck-best-qb-on-day-ol-play-strong-front-7-disappoints/

PFF week 2.

Ryan Kelly 78.9.

Jack Mewhort 76.7.

Joe Reitz 64.9.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ind-den-grades/

1 hour ago, bigt said:

The rankings for out whole dline (may I suggest a stiff drink after reading this)

Ridgeway          102nd

Langford           113th

The lowest they go on dline is 115th.  WOW.  What doesn't add up is how the games have been relatively competitive. Adams and Luck are the only ones performing at a high level.  Everyone else is average to very poor (worst in the league poor).

Yeah this is why you always take it with a grain of salt. Our defense has been poor to be sure, but our DLine has definitely been the brighter spot so far. They've played better than that

25 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

What a cluster* 

Very disappointing to see Langford do so poorly 

It was more than likely going to happen for Langford after missing time with injury. he has only played 58 snaps this season...only 15 run defense snaps. He is most likely having to play catch up with his body being in game shape so I'd say he is on a pitch count

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats cuz its PFFFFFFTTT !

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Here are the actual grades.

Kelly is 74.0 through two games, not 54.8.

AC is 74.2

Mewhort 77.1

Good 47.9 (he was either injured or benched for Harrison late vs Denver, haven't heard of anyone really mentioning this.)

Reitz 48.3

Grades subject to change once all 22 is released.

Maybe they will correct it after the 3rd game for Kelly.  Anyway, left side of line is the best we've had in a long time.  Right side, same ol' same ol'.  D line should improve quite a bit once   Anderson comes back.  I remember him and Parry being pretty stout against the run last year when they were both in there.  Hopefully, Jones can stay healthy once he comes back.  Gonna be a long year for the linebackers I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

It was more than likely going to happen for Langford after missing time with injury. he has only played 58 snaps this season...only 15 run defense snaps. He is most likely having to play catch up with his body being in game shape so I'd say he is on a pitch count

Langford was really bad on Sunday.

Just now, Superman said:

Langford was really bad on Sunday.

He was and Sundays performance is what is but I'm not concerned whether or not it will become a trend. He usually is a solid player. Not great but our best D Lineman overall. Though this year I think Kerr has been to this point and he hasn't been good despite making a sporadic play here or there. Overall the roster is full of players that haven't shown up yet to play.

I'm not asking for players to not make mistakes. That's not realistic. We aren't making plays. We need to be a little less assignment based and a lot more play making ready. A corner gives up a 20 yard pass in Man coverage...So what. Go out and jump a route and be aggressive on the next play

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

He was and Sundays performance is what is but I'm not concerned whether or not it will become a trend. He usually is a solid player. Not great but our best D Lineman overall. Though this year I think Kerr has been to this point and he hasn't been good despite making a sporadic play here or there. Overall the roster is full of players that haven't shown up yet to play.

I'm not asking for players to not make mistakes. That's not realistic. We aren't making plays. We need to be a little less assignment based and a lot more play making ready. A corner gives up a 20 yard pass in Man coverage...So what. Go out and jump a route and be aggressive on the next play

No playmakers, so good luck with that.

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

I think being a playmaker starts with a mentality. You have to have sort of like a give a damn attitude if you give up a play or not when making plays.  

I'm not going to pretend to know anyone's mentality/attitude, because I don't know these guys. But I think more important is the actual ability to make plays. If you want someone to get after the QB, they have to have pass rush skills, not just a pass rush attitude. If you want them to make a play on a pass, jump a route and whatnot, they have to be able to cover and break. 

The Colts roster is missing guys with those abilities right now, partly due to injuries, partly due to never adding them. I think we'll get a handful of nice picks like Butler's, and maybe a couple strip sacks, but not nearly enough.

53 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think McGill has been much better than Kerr 

On 9/20/2016 at 0:20 AM, bigt said:

I don't know what offensive line has had a good score against Denver's defense. I realize this is a two game score but Denver is dominating everyone on defense. Personally, I think our OL looked solid on Sunday. 5 sacks may indicate otherwise but 2-3 of those sacks were coverage sacks and Luck initially had time to throw the ball. The run blocking was below average again but I think it's improving. Again, it's tough to judge after playing against one of the most dominating defenses in the recent past.

The PFF scores are just someone evaluating the line as they see it and scoring it, are they truly a scout and honestly qualified to make determinations on what someone has done or were supposed to do? Saying that, the eye test for a never played football in his life guy says that the oline looks better this year than last and it isn't close so far. Here though are my concerns and have been since we moved to the supposed new ZBS away from man power scheme.

1. Good looked to be the mauler we wanted to move the pile for future years when we seen him last year, my concern has been biggest in the transition for him since we said we were going to the ZBS. Can the guy play at guard in the ZBS as successful as we want or would he be a better fit on the RT spot? they said he had very quick feet and we know he has some strength, should we see what he can do in the ZBS at RT and move Reitz inside or replace him altogether??

2. Reitz has been a HUGE disappointment this year and it isn't even close. I understand he may be playing through an injury but the fact will remain, he is a weak link in the chain so far, he has to sit down until he is healed because he is costing us hits on the QB and yards.

3. Constanza has played ok but still not at the level I believe any of us hoped for just a few years ago. He has to get better and maybe in time and reps under the new scheme, he can. We really need that LT side solidified. We need a Tarik Glen type guy.

4. Kelly has been better in the middle than we could have hoped for in a rookie stepping in to give the ball to the richest QB in the league and our franchise. That is a lot of pressure for anyone, let alone a rookie and I think he will grow fine. No worries with him at this stage.

5. Mewhort has done well also in the transition to ZBS. Little concerns with Mewhort as well here.

6. Back up lineman. We know Clark is not ready to play at this level yet and probably not for this year, however, I don't know what we have in the other guys since many of them are injured in some way. I think as we have the oline constructed, we are going to finally develop an oline that can wall off Luck and give him the pocket he has never had so hopefully he can get one more extra second for plays to open up down field and get the offense fully operating. Good is my largest concern for growth though into this new scheme, it feels like he is a round peg into a square hole guy and I hate that because I think in the man scheme, he could have been very productive. Time is going to determine this.

On 9/20/2016 at 3:12 AM, bigt said:

Ridgeway          102nd

Langford           113th

On what planet does it make sense that Cole would score better than Mathis? 

25 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

On what planet does it make sense that Cole would score better than Mathis? 

An objective planet where Mathis's reputation and past production is not considered and his current play is which has not been good. Trent Cole has only played in 39 snaps to

With Good and Reitz not playing so hot, what are the chances Haeg get's a crack at the starting lineup?

Honestly I'd almost say we should move Reitz inside to RG and put Haeg at RT.  

Coaches of course know their abilities better then me but based on what I know that's what I would do.  

To be fair Reitz's scores are probably down because he took on Von Miller in week 2.  Von Miller usually makes tackles look bad.  

I'll post the updated scores for o line and notable defensive scores after next week's game.  Please note, I am pulling these numbers straight off the players grade section of PFF.  Sometimes the article about game has contradictory numbers.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

On 9/20/2016 at 3:12 AM, bigt said:

Ridgeway          102nd

Langford           113th

Confirms what my eyes told me...a few key guys getting back healthy can improve the ensemble.  Ideally, we play our best football late and we're still in the hunt.

13 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

With Good and Reitz not playing so hot, what are the chances Haeg get's a crack at the starting lineup?

Honestly I'd almost say we should move Reitz inside to RG and put Haeg at RT.  

Coaches of course know their abilities better then me but based on what I know that's what I would do.  

To be fair Reitz's scores are probably down because he took on Von Miller in week 2.  Von Miller usually makes tackles look bad.  

I think we see Haeg at RT before the years out. I'm not sure about RG. That really should have been addressed in FA IMO.