Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dan Dakich

LJpalmbeacher2

I guess I need "overrated" to be defined. I watch almost every game each week since I view at sports bars and I don't see many guys I'd rather have.  You should hear the other teams fans trash their QB.  To be honest I'd take Luck with whatever warts people think he has all day long.  Heck people still bashed Peyton for not winning enough or winning ugly or throwing ducks or choking in big games and I'll take me some Peyton all day, every day.  Much the same for me with Andrew.

8 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I guess I need "overrated" to be defined. I watch almost every game each week since I view at sports bars and I don't see many guys I'd rather have.  You should hear the other teams fans trash their QB.  To be honest I'd take Luck with whatever warts people think he has all day long.  Heck people still bashed Peyton for not winning enough or winning ugly or throwing ducks or choking in big games and I'll take me some Peyton all day, every day.  Much the same for me with Andrew.

Yeah, did Luck miss some throws and leave some points on the field? Absolutely. Calling that "overrated" is an overreaction.

However, lack of talent and/or depth at so many levels hurt our team as an entirety. The problem right now is we do not have an identity. I don't even think we can say we are an offensive team because our offense does not operate on all cylinders even 60% of the time. Defensively, even Mathis does not demand a double team.

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Luck was literally the best QB in week 1. He struggles against the best defense in the NFL and suddenly he's the most overrated player?

It really does IRK me when people are saying he's a great QB when he performs well then when he doesn't have a good game people say he's overrated he sucks etc I get so angry because when they say oh the colts didn't win the blame all goes to Luck it cant be the team sucks that bad it has to be him and its obsurd.

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Luck was literally the best QB in week 1. He struggles against the best defense in the NFL and suddenly he's the most overrated player?

Exactly.... Luck got hit 11 times yesterday, had barely any time all game.  He played well, IMO.... a few missed throws, but what can you expect when he's running for his life every time he drops back.  He was very good with decisions, too (IMO, last week was the best decision making game he's played in the NFL to date, and yesterday, he wasn't too bad).  Even on the interception, I thought he was fine throwing to Dorsett but was just a little high and to the wrong side with it (had he thrown that low and more toward the middle of the field side of Dorsett's body it would likely have resulted in a first down completion or a pass interference (There is an argument that Dorsett waited on the ball, too -- but either way, I don't think it was a poor decision, just not a great pass).  And, I don't think Luck should get any crap from those saying the fumble is on him -- sure he's the one who fumbled, but Von Miller schooled Joe Reitz so bad on that play, Luck didn't even have time to see him coming from his strong side!

Luck will be just fine!

Depends on how you rate Luck. I certainly don't think he is a top 5 QB. Definitly not elite though he has moments of elite play. Reitz not getting any help was dumb. Also regardless of that saying that "injuries are no excuse" the reality is when you have a lack of talent and lose some of your best talent do to injuries and have to play young players and rookies they will struggle there rookie year. That's not an excuse, That's just reality. Most do. That's just a fact.

Most didn't even contribute much there first year or two in college and that's much easier than the NFL. The simple fact is for most there is an adjustment period. Some take a year. Some take 2-3 years. Michael Strahan did not have a big year until his 5th year in the NFL and there are many other hall of famers with similar stories for those that want to take the time to do some research other than just whine. Its crazy to judge a team full of young players and rookies starting so soon. At the same time there is a lack of talent at some spots. Some of it old. That's got to be addressed. However that's not going to happen till the offseason.

It is what it is. Just sit back and watch some of the rookies getting a shot early on develop and hope they can contribute big in the future

Injuries are an excuse when 1 or 2 guys are out, not when over half of your defense is out. Reitz didn't attempt to do his job, had he done something he wouldn't have needed help. Thanks for making an excuse for him Dakich. Luck isn't overrated. I don't know Dakich from a bum on the street, but it sounds loves there sound of his own bull.

You don't have to look far to find people who don't like the Colts or don't like Luck and literally try to bury the guy's ability to play. So in terms of Luck being overrated, seems kind of unlikely based on how many people don't rate him highly in the first place. Maybe overpaid, I suppose.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

just said Andrew Luck is the most overrated player in the NFL.

He also said injuries are a excuse and it was stupid Reitz had no help with Von Miller.

Dan who?

i'd say HE's Overrated.

i hope "Dufus Dan" also said Can Newton is overrated cuz he struggled just as much against Denver.  And Cam had a DEFENSE!

26 minutes ago, corgi said:

Injuries are an excuse when 1 or 2 guys are out, not when over half of your defense is out. Reitz didn't attempt to do his job, had he done something he wouldn't have needed help. Thanks for making an excuse for him Dakich. Luck isn't overrated. I don't know Dakich from a bum on the street, but it sounds loves there sound of his own bull.

Dan Dakich, to me, is like the Bill O' Reilly of sports talk radio. He will give his audience their turn to speak and then turn around to say "yeah, I hear ya but this is what I feel and what you said does not count" :)

That is the singular reason I call into the JMV show and not the Dan Dakich show.

In order to be overrated you have to be rated a Top 5 QB in the league and continue to play poorly. Not 1 person ranks Luck in the Top 5 on ESPN, Fox News, or the NFL Network so overrated is a poor choice of words. I even have Luck rated around 6th or 7th. He was rated the 92nd best player on the NFL Network, 43rd best on ESPN's list. So far he has had a Good career statistically and wins/losses. Even yesterday he didn't play badly as he made several good plays and we had the ball with a chance to win the game at the end. Talib's INT was a Great play and Luck just trying to make a play against a Great Defense. Von Miller is the best Pass Rusher in the league and made a Great play to end the game. Russell Wilson has absolutely stunk up the joint in his first 2 games so I guess he is overrated then? Losing to the Rams putting up 3 points haha. Seahawks barley beat the Dolphins at home as well putting up only 12 points. Cam didn't play that well against the Broncos either and did play badly in the SB vs them. Regarding Dakich, what's he ever done on the Pro level in Basketball? I'll answer that - nothing. He wasn't even a Good college player. I have followed IU Basketball all of my life and watched him play in the 80's and he wasn't Good. He had 1 Great game Defensively when IU played NC guarding Michael Jordan and that is his claim to fame because Jordan only had 13 points and we beat them in the NCAA Tourney. Even then he really didn't stop Jordan, we doubled Jordan a lot in that game and Uwe Blab clogged the middle at 7'2 altering shots. Dean Smith was more of a Jordan killer than anyone in that game because he didn't let Jordan shoot more.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dan Dakich, to me, is like the Bill O' Reilly of sports talk radio. He will give his audience their turn to speak and then turn around to say "yeah, I hear ya but this is what I feel and what you said does not count" :)

That is the singular reason I call into the JMV show and not the Dan Dakich show.

JMV is much better.

I do too but talks too much about music. I like music as much as the next person but when I tune in expecting to hear some Colts talk I'm disappointed I have to hear about his favourite bands lol.

Especially 80s and 90s music. It sucked IMO compared to the 70s and what has been done in the 2000s.

Yeah....the Luck thing is way way overblown. Do I think he has a lot of room to improve....certainly. Do I think he is the reason we are losing games and he isn't the franchise qb to lead this team...heck no. I think a lot of people kinda expected Andrew to be this Peyton Manning smart qb with the arm and athleticism of John Elway. Fact is he is his own self. He isn't any of those guys...but even those guys took time to develop into what they became....and Andrew will have to go through that process himself. Honestly he is more like Ben Rothlisburger than a cerebral PM. That isn't a terrible thing...but it isn't exactly what he was billed as either....or maybe that is just what people wanted to project onto him. Peyton had a ton of disappointments in his early career...and Andrew will have his too....but if the kid keeps putting in the work there is no reason he can't improve his game. At this point I think its a lot of pre-snap recognition and some decision making stuff that he needs to improve...but he is a stud qb....we've seen him prove it before and I am not counting him out to not do it again. Some of those throws yesterday PM or TB could never have made those even in their prime...off one leg or that deep out to Dorsett...the arm strength and ability..its off the charts...the ability to move...he really is kinda a larger John Elway type qb. What we've seen in the NFL the last few decades is that qbs get better with age. Seemingly they hit their prime in their 30s...so lets all just calm down...we should have a long beautiful ride with the kid!

1 hour ago, corgi said:

Dakich is a smug know it all. I try to listen to him but he acts like hes so smart and all of us are so dumb.

I do too but talks too much about music. I like music as much as the next person but when I tune in expecting to hear some Colts talk I'm disappointed I have to hear about his favourite bands lol.

Yeah he does talk music a bit much but its better than him talking politics.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Exactly.... Luck got hit 11 times yesterday, had barely any time all game.

I think we're so used to the protection being bad that we default to blaming the protection whenever things go wrong. Luck had plenty of time most of the game. Once the Broncos smelled blood, they were able to get to Luck pretty frequently, but the protection wasn't the problem.

Poor play calling was the biggest problem; they didn't do anything to punish the Broncos for sending so much pressure, did nothing to beat those blitzes, couldn't execute when guys were open, called no screens, no bubble screens, no quick slants, etc. Terrible play calling.

And Luck missed several throws, not just a few, was late on others, threw high a couple times, missed some hot routes entirely, etc. If you connect on half of Luck's mistakes, the offense would have extended some drives and scored more points. Most importantly, it would have forced the Broncos to switch up defensively, and maybe they could have run the ball.

The protection broke down eventually, but I don't think it's right to blame this game on the OL, not at all.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we're so used to the protection being bad that we default to blaming the protection whenever things go wrong. Luck had plenty of time most of the game. Once the Broncos smelled blood, they were able to get to Luck pretty frequently, but the protection wasn't the problem.

Poor play calling was the biggest problem; they didn't do anything to punish the Broncos for sending so much pressure, did nothing to beat those blitzes, couldn't execute when guys were open, called no screens, no bubble screens, no quick slants, etc. Terrible play calling.

And Luck missed several throws, not just a few, was late on others, threw high a couple times, missed some hot routes entirely, etc. If you connect on half of Luck's mistakes, the offense would have extended some drives and scored more points. Most importantly, it would have forced the Broncos to switch up defensively, and maybe they could have run the ball.

The protection broke down eventually, but I don't think it's right to blame this game on the OL, not at all.

in fact, Miller was held in check the majority of the game until the last few minutes. That's when they accumulated the majority of their hits and sacks. Also there were times Luck had Brady time to pass the ball but Denver's secondary wasn't allowing anything to get open (legally and illegally).

Were the checkdowns open and Luck just missed them or were they not open at all?

Just now, PeterBowman said:

in fact, Miller was held in check the majority of the game until the last few minutes. That's when they accumulated the majority of their hits and sacks. Also there were times Luck had Brady time to pass the ball but Denver's secondary wasn't allowing anything to get open (legally and illegally).

Were the checkdowns open and Luck just missed them or were they not open at all?

I agree with the first paragraph.

I'm not talking about checkdowns. I'm talking about hot routes, players open immediately or shortly after the snap, and Luck didn't pull the trigger. Maybe he didn't think he had the window, maybe he actually didn't, but it looked like he had quick options and didn't see them or passed on them. 

Then there were times where he did pull the trigger, and the ball got tipped at the line, which sucks. They did a generally abysmal job of countering that. To me, you call screens -- inside and bubble -- and get some easy completions. You cut the edge rushers and throw some quick slants. And you move the QB. They moved the QB a little, but then you're not talking about quick throws, and you're generally cutting off one side of the field. They didn't do either of the first two things.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I agree with the first paragraph.

I'm not talking about checkdowns. I'm talking about hot routes, players open immediately or shortly after the snap, and Luck didn't pull the trigger. Maybe he didn't think he had the window, maybe he actually didn't, but it looked like he had quick options and didn't see them or passed on them. 

Then there were times where he did pull the trigger, and the ball got tipped at the line, which sucks. They did a generally abysmal job of countering that. To me, you call screens -- inside and bubble -- and get some easy completions. You cut the edge rushers and throw some quick slants. And you move the QB. They moved the QB a little, but then you're not talking about quick throws, and you're generally cutting off one side of the field. They didn't do either of the first two things.

I agree, that miffed me too...especially with all the screens they were running in pre season etc.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Especially 80s and 90s music. It sucked IMO compared to the 70s and what has been done in the 2000s.

The stuff coming out of europe in the 80s wascawesome. Punk, post punk, new wave, dark wave, and industrial, the counter-culture scene as a whole was great.  But if you didn't live in the right metropolitan area, you would not have witnessed this.  

And no, i'm not talking about the "hair bands".

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Out of likes so, bump. 

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was watching from an airport (and missed small chunks of the game), but from what I saw Luck was facing pressure more often than not when he dropped back.

I should look at the game a little closer before responding in detail, and trust that you're probably right.  From what I saw there were 2 things frequently happening -- 1) Luck was getting pressured (getting hit on 11 of 40 attempts is not a good thing, whether the hits came later in the game or not -- and some of this may be on Luck for holding ball too long, etc.) and 2) our WRs were seemingly not getting good separation (this could be due to what you're saying with poor game plan/play calling, lack of screens, etc.). 

Admittedly, I was able to see more/focus more during the later portion of the game, so I might be biasing my opinions on this... but from what I did see, Luck was getting hit or flushed out of the pocket much moreso than he was getting 'Brady time'.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

just said Andrew Luck is the most overrated player in the NFL.

He also said injuries are a excuse and it was stupid Reitz had no help with Von Miller.

He also said that Luck is the best QB in the league when down 20+ points.  I don't agree that he's the most overrated player in the league, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations the pundits had for him when he entered the league.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's wrong about Luck. Not sure why he would make a comment like that. Our Defense is the main issue and a lot of that is due to injuries. I am wondering why our guys keep getting injured so much? That is very worrisome.

Tony Romo, and Dalton are overrated but not Luck he's carried this team on his back. He's just needs a better roster around him. I agree on everything else.