Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Morris Cut. CB Rashaan Melvin Signed

krunk

1m

The Colts have signed CB-Rashaan Melvin and waived QB-Stephen Morris. Move that was needed with just three healthly corners on the roster.

I'm going to take it that Niko Thorpe had a bit of a hurdle learning the defense from ground up enough to be effective in Sundays game.
I know Rashaan Melvin used to play for the Ravens so he already knows the defense.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust the organization to do the best thing for the team, but I don't understand Tolzien over Morris. Morris clearly is more talented and has more potential. Tolzien may be the "safe" bet, but we're screwed if Luck is out anyway so I don't know why it matters. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Not happy that Morris was cut tho. Hoping he lands on the practice squad. 

I think that's what they are hinging their bets on.  At this time of the year I will assume there are not as many teams out there looking for a backup quarterback because most teams should already know the guy they have in place.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

1m

The Colts have signed CB-Rashaan Melvin and waived QB-Stephen Morris. Move that was needed with just three healthly corners on the roster.

I'm going to take it that Niko Thorpe had a bit of a hurdle learning the defense from ground up enough to be effective in Sundays game.
I know Rashaan Melvin used to play for the Ravens so he already knows the defense.

He was awful against the Patriots in the playoffs in 2015...allowed 12 catches out of 15 passes thrown,  for 224 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those are Greg Toler level stats.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

And the forum blows up in 3.........2.........1......... 

:Nuke:

I think most of everyone will be alright.  We are short on cornerbacks,  I think there's a good chance at this time period he makes it to the PS.

Just now, corgi said:

He was awful against the Patriots in the playoffs in 2015...allowed 12 catches out of 15 passes thrown,  for 224 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Woof.

On the bright side, 6'2" 200lbs. They are certainly putting together a bigger secondary this year.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

1m

This forum will go nuclear in a few minutes.

1 minute ago, corgi said:

He was awful against the Patriots in the playoffs in 2015...allowed 12 catches out of 15 passes thrown,  for 224 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those are Greg Toler level stats.

I think you mean 2014 because the Ravens did not make the playoffs last year.   I'm assuming he's grown from that point.  Bad games can happen, plus he's more of a depth corner this time instead of being one of the top 3 corners.  I believe they had him starting vs the Patriots, but I most certainly could be wrong.  This time with the Colts he'd be like between the 4th to 6th corner covering lesser receivers.

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

The difference is Greg Toler was our #2 lol

6 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I trust the organization to do the best thing for the team, but I don't understand Tolzien over Morris. Morris clearly is more talented and has more potential. Tolzien may be the "safe" bet, but we're screwed if Luck is out anyway so I don't know why it matters. 

Well if you have intent on keeping 3 quarterbacks I don't believe there is a way to cut Tolzien and put him on the PS.  I could be wrong about this of course.  Cutting Morris allows them to keep Tolzien and at this time of year with a couple days left before games are played I think there will be an increased chance we can stash Stephen Morris on the PS.

I understand it's a backup quarterback.. We saw how important that was last year though!

No way we should have kept Tolzien over Morris. No way. Lol

As a fan I trust the front office is trying to do what's best and what will put the Colts in the best position to win but after preseason you can't tell me that Tolzien gives the Colts a better chance to win than Morris does if or when Luck goes down.

Tolzien is kind of trash IMO. His stats are pretty awful also.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you mean 2014 because the Ravens did not make the playoffs last year.   I'm assuming he's grown from that point.  Bad games can happen, plus he's more of a depth corner this time instead of being one of the top 3 corners.  I believe they had him starting vs the Patriots, but I most certainly could be wrong.  This time with the Colts he'd be like between the 4th to 6th corner covering lesser receivers.

2014 Season, January 2015 game. But yeah, should've been more clear. I'm okay with the move,the team needs CB depth more than a #3 QB who would hopefully never step on the field. 

Morris Played soooooo much better than Tolzien it is ridiculous to have him cut in favor of him.

The kid played with poise and was not frantic with the pass rush.  Tolzien looked frantic back there.

I know we got a smelly CB and a corner that is scary.  Not looking forward to see who lines up in the secondary Sunday, and I sure hope that Andrew stays upright.  Morris could have run out of trouble......Tolzien just throws it away or into double coverage!!  That is my opinion and it counts for NOTHING :)  

11 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I understand it's a backup quarterback.. We saw how important that was last year though!

No way we should have kept Tolzien over Morris. No way. Lol

As a fan I trust the front office is trying to do what's best and what will put the Colts in the best position to win but after preseason you can't tell me that Tolzien gives the Colts a better chance to win than Morris does if or when Luck goes down.

Tolzien is kind of trash IMO. His stats are pretty awful also.

We kind of wrote the same thing at the same time. :)  

Just now, krunk said:

I think Morris will make it to the PS.  Not too worried about it.

I think I will worry krunk when the first big hit to Luck occurs.  Morris will not be available.  Shakey T will be out there throwing Curtis Painter-esque 'bounce-em-to ya' balls and every other batted down....OK   I quit :)

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

I think I will worry krunk when the first big hit to Luck occurs.  Morris will not be available.  Shakey T will be out there throwing Curtis Painter-esque 'bounce-em-to ya' balls and every other batted down....OK   I quit :)

LOL!  I actually think Tolzien is better than Curtis,  he just looks real goofy so mentally you're trying to digest that.  If he makes a bad play then it gets magnified even more.  If Morris makes it to the PS, which I think he will then we'll at least have some leverage to replace Shakey T!  Might have to deal with him for a game, but we can call Mr. Morris up real quick to take over going forward.

42 minutes ago, corgi said:

Vontae Davis had a bad game once.  We should probably cut him.

ps. Quite a few CBs have had bad games against the Patriots. :P

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

LOL!  I actually think Tolzien is better than Curtis,  he just looks real goofy so mentally you're trying to digest that.  If he makes a bad play then it gets magnified even more.  If Morris makes it to the PS, which I think he will then we'll at least have some leverage to replace Shakey T!  Might have to deal with him for a game, but we can call Mr. Morris up real quick to take over going forward.

Shakey T is really funny when someone else writes it.  HA HA!!!

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I could be wrong but I think we had 9 players on the practice squad so that leaves a spot.

No all 10 spots are filled.  The 10th spot was filled yesterday when Frankie Williams was added.  Now somebodies going to be losing a spot when Morris clears.  If he clears.

10 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

LOL, still picking up the scraps from other teams....boy, this is encouraging

Don't you think having 5-6 players injured at one time has anything to do with any of this?  We are certainly not the only team picking up guys off waivers right now.  Everyone does that, especially when you have injuries.