Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Morris Cut. CB Rashaan Melvin Signed

krunk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Sorry the only time i saw morris play was against 3rd stringer, and when i saw tolzien play was usually against the 1st,  2nd and 3rd so give him a break until we see something different morris will go to the practice squad and learn the system. 

Hopefully we don't see either one. 

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Don't you think having 5-6 players injured at one time has anything to do with any of this?  We are certainly not the only team picking up guys off waivers right now.  Everyone does that, especially when you have injuries.

Im sure it does. Im just saying its not really encouraging when you have to make 3-4 moves in the week leading up to opening game, no matter what the reasons are.

1 minute ago, theanarchist said:

Im sure it does. Im just saying its not really encouraging when you have to make 3-4 moves in the week leading up to opening game, no matter what the reasons are.

Yes but you stated it like we just enjoyed picking scraps off other peoples teams.  Just part of necessity created by injury.

Just now, krunk said:

Yes but you stated it like we just enjoyed picking scraps off other peoples teams.  Just part of necessity created by injury.

No, didn't mean it like that. Its just frustrating seeing how thin this roster is at DB, RB, OL. I know that injuries have been to blame for most of it but doesnt make me feel any better.

2 hours ago, corgi said:

He was awful against the Patriots in the playoffs in 2015...allowed 12 catches out of 15 passes thrown,  for 224 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those are Greg Toler level stats.

Greg would allo same stats but don't forget to throw in a couple PI s and holdings 

18 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Where is this hidden stash of unsigned pro-bowl caliber players that apparently only you know about?

All I was trying to say was that its not very encouraging how thin the roster is in spots.  Necessary to pick up players off the scap heap the week leading up to week 1 isnt how I see a recipe for a successful season but I know there have been a multitude of key injuries too.

7 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

All I was trying to say was that its not very encouraging how thin the roster is in spots.  Necessary to pick up players off the scap heap the week leading up to week 1 isnt how I see a recipe for a successful season but I know there have been a multitude of key injuries too.

Is there a single team not doing the same thing though?

20 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

No, didn't mean it like that. Its just frustrating seeing how thin this roster is at DB, RB, OL. I know that injuries have been to blame for most of it but doesnt make me feel any better.

Well on the bright side it won't be thin for long.  Vontae should be back soon maybe within the next two to 3 weeks.  That's gives us Davis, Cromartie, Robinson.  On the back end we'll have Darius Butler, Darryl Morris(could be good, very fast 4.32 and seems physical) and Rashaan Melvin(bad as a starter, but could be good as a backup. comes in knowing the defense)

3 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

My count is 18 teams have signed players. Here's a list of teams that have signed more than 3: Colts, Jets, Eagles, Browns, Chargers.

Didn't the hawks and jags make 11 and 13 moves read that last night somewhere

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Is there a single team not doing the same thing though?

^ This.

The only difference is that we all place the Colts under a microscope and see every little move they make. A large majority of us don't follow other teams as closely. We see the big moves they make, but don't pay any attention to the little ones that don't flash across the bottom of the screen. Everyone churns the bottom of their roster this time of year to some degree.

I don't see bringing guys in, not liking what we see when we get them on our field, and waiving them for someone else we think can help is a bad thing. It means we're constantly looking to improve our roster and not sitting, hoping someone at the bottom of the roster suddenly becomes a star.

Hell, we'd have "Fire Grigson" threads already if he WASN'T making these kind of moves to try to help where we're thin.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Could we have done better ?

Melvin made his debut for the Baltimore Ravens on December 14, 2014. In his first game, he was a pleasant surprise on the Ravens' hobbled secondary, recording 5 tackles and 1 pass deflected. In his first start the next week, Melvin continued his success, recording 8 tackles and a forced fumble. In week 17 against the Cleveland Browns, Melvin had 4 tackles.

However, this success would not carry into the playoffs. On January 10, 2015 against the New England Patriots, Melvin allowed 12 catches on 15 passes thrown his way, giving up 224 yards and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. After a bad performance in Week 3 of the 2015 NFL Season against the Cincinnati Bengals, he was benched and became inactive for the next two games; the Ravens released Melvin on October 13, 2015.[3]

2 hours ago, krunk said:

1m

The Colts have signed CB-Rashaan Melvin and waived QB-Stephen Morris. Move that was needed with just three healthly corners on the roster.

I'm going to take it that Niko Thorpe had a bit of a hurdle learning the defense from ground up enough to be effective in Sundays game.
I know Rashaan Melvin used to play for the Ravens so he already knows the defense.

Geez....Grigs and Pags are just a couple of desperate dudes grasping at straws.

Tuesday night power rankings on NFL network has us ranked 24th, behind the Titans and the Jags and the Texans (of course).

We might just get an excellent draft position next year (top 10).

2 hours ago, BCoop said:

I trust the organization to do the best thing for the team, but I don't understand Tolzien over Morris. Morris clearly is more talented and has more potential. Tolzien may be the "safe" bet, but we're screwed if Luck is out anyway so I don't know why it matters. 

Morris could still play well enough to win Tolzien sucks and cant play a lick so that is why this team is always behind the 8 ball.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Tuesday night power rankings on NFL network has us ranked 24th, behind the Titans and the Jags and the Texans (of course).

Who gives a darn where someone has us ranked?  They don't tackle anybody or catch any balls on Sunday.  They had us ranked at the bottom of the cellar a couple years ago and we went straight to the playoffs.    Who cares?

When are you guys going to understand we'll have the best of both worlds if Morris clears waivers?  It's highly likely he'll clear waivers at this time.

If we cut Tolzien there's no way to put him on the PS so we'd just have Morris.   Tolzien isn't that bad.  He's a lot better than Painter and Orlovsky were.  Nothing wrong with carrying 3 QBs if one is on the PS.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

Is churning the bottom of the roster a new thing??? 

38 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Yes, because Elliot Harrison knows how we'll do this season.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So we have a Leader that is a CB Whisperer!
What a GM, what a ____ joke this is after 5 free agency periods & drafts.

Good grief!

I guess since you are so unhappy with what the Colts are doing maybe it's time for you to find another team to whine about?

1 hour ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Melvin made his debut for the Baltimore Ravens on December 14, 2014. In his first game, he was a pleasant surprise on the Ravens' hobbled secondary, recording 5 tackles and 1 pass deflected. In his first start the next week, Melvin continued his success, recording 8 tackles and a forced fumble. In week 17 against the Cleveland Browns, Melvin had 4 tackles.

However, this success would not carry into the playoffs. On January 10, 2015 against the New England Patriots, Melvin allowed 12 catches on 15 passes thrown his way, giving up 224 yards and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. After a bad performance in Week 3 of the 2015 NFL Season against the Cincinnati Bengals, he was benched and became inactive for the next two games; the Ravens released Melvin on October 13, 2015.[3]

um, not sure why you're quoting me? I didn't complain about this signing or question it?

1 hour ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Awesome, because we just need him to play lights out for 3 weeks! Then he can fade away again, no problem. :billiejean:

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Not that those rankings mean anything, but a couple of the other commentators were taking pretty strong stances that they thought he had the Colts ranked much too low. Also these preseason power rankings are usually way off. 

2 hours ago, FL Colts Fan said:

I knew I remembered his name. The Pats picked on him mercilessly in that game, and I think they got him with the Edelman throw. 

2 hours ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Maybe but that person will likely not know the defense as well as Melvin does.  I think that was the problem with Niko Thorpe coming from Oakland/Jack Del Rio Seattle type scheme.  Darryl Morris had a little bit of a leg up on Thorpe coming from the New York Jets.  Bowles scheme is similar to ours, and he's also got Cromartie to show him the differences between the two schemes since Cromartie  played for Bowles.    Melvin can play this weekend and would not have to be a starter.  Should be okay as a depth player. 

Grigson searches for talent --- Terrible GM

Grigson doesnt search for talent --- Terrible GM

Grigson drafts offensive lineman --- Terrible GM

Grigson doesn't address offensive line --- Terrible GM

blah blah blah shut up.

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

blah blah blah shut up.

THANK YOU!!! totally agree

32 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

blah blah blah shut up.

Liked it so much I liked it TWICE :D (had to unlock it after the first one though so you only get credit for one of course, but still)

Call me a troll, call for my banishment, I don't care. This is proof our leaders pre-determine which players will play, regardless of how well they actually perform on the field. Scott Tolzien was signed to be our backup QB, and no matter how badly he sucked, he was in no danger of ever being cut. Clearly Morris is the better player, and deserved to make the team over Tolzien, whom sucked the entire pre season.

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Call me a troll, call for my banishment, I don't care. This is proof our leaders pre-determine which players will play, regardless of how well they actually perform on the field. Scott Tolzien was signed to be our backup QB, and no matter how badly he sucked, he was in no danger of ever being cut. Clearly Morris is the better player, and deserved to make the team over Tolzien, whom sucked the entire pre season.

While I liked Morris better than Tolzien, your second sentence just isn't true at all. If it was, Nate Irving would still be on the team and Hugh Thornton wouldn't have lost 1st string reps in camp before he got injured. 

14 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I'll call you a troll and call for your banishment because this is proof you pay little to no attention to what actually happens in games.  Yes, Tolzien struggled in the first couple of games, but played much better in the 3rd game. 

Also, this way, the Colts get to retain both Tolzien and Morris instead of having to choose.  And before you come back with "but Morris is vulnerable because he's on the PS"...yes that's true.  But Morris doesn't have to sign with another team if he doesn't want to.  If another team makes an offer to Morris to join their 53 man roster, the Colts can match that offer and sign Morris to their own 53 instead of losing him.  They'd just have to cut someone to do it. 

6 hours ago, BCoop said:

I trust the organization to do the best thing for the team, but I don't understand Tolzien over Morris. Morris clearly is more talented and has more potential. Tolzien may be the "safe" bet, but we're screwed if Luck is out anyway so I don't know why it matters. 

He's better than Sorgi as a back up .