Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts After Bills-Colts Preseason Game 1

JPFolks

41 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I am very weary of judging a team or even a unit off of pre-season games because nobody is scheming, so many players are out, you don't know who all of your starters are, plays are basic, etc.  So I usually just go off individuals.  In that vein, I thought Green actually did fairly well and is every bit as fast as he looked on his college tapes.  He even got beat on that long throw but his catch-up speed allowed him to make it up and the pass was incomplete.  I thought Morrison and Bates did some nice things too.  Reitz wasn't real solid.  Kelly was for his first game.  We didn't get much of a chance to see what Ferguson can do because there was no room to run and they didn't throw it to him, which I think will be his biggest attribute to us.  What Todman did on that screen I feel very confident Ferguson could do as well.  Speaking of Todman, he looked better than I thought even though it was against 3rd teamers.  Tolzein, up and down.  Morris looked good and very comfortable.  D-Line is going to be good AND deep when everybody is there.  I think we are going to be able to get to the QB better this year.  Pat and Adam, great as usual.  Nothing else needs to be said there.  We won't really get any feel for Monachino or Chud until the 3rd game where they scheme a little bit.

My one worry with Morrison. I do like the physicality but I worry about his speed. There was one play in particular in the second half. It was an outside run and from what I could tell the responsibility of the OLB(Okine) was to crash down somewhat inside and the ILB was supposed to scrape over the top which Morrison did. Problem was he did not have enough speed to chase the RB down and the play went for a positive gain. Maybe some of this can be negated with play recognition and what not but his speed is a concern of mine. Plays hard though. I do like him.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Exactly what I saw.

The Reverand who enjoys drama IMO just loves to over analyze & tries way to hard in a million words or more to tell everyone how smart he is which is annoying .

As the first pre-season game it was not spectacular nor was it meant to be , It was an opportunity to play a game against another team in an organized practice that just happened to be on a wet & windy night ,

We had an opportunity to see our players for the first time was it perfect of course not it boogles the mind to read some of the long winded posts . Play 1 Play 2 play 3 & so on . IMO as with every year we will see improvement each & every game with starters rounding into shape & those others on the bubble getting opportunities to make the team .

I saw Buffalo trying hard to Win they have a good defense & it showed & I saw Hilton's left foot slide out from underneath him because of field conditions & it concerned me I saw a few decent things out of the Colts QB's that played & Turbin on the screen play for a TD was really the main highlight of the night ,

It was a Good the Bad & a Ugly night plays were made & the Colts won , Which for me was surprising they did just enough to win while it was a glorified practice it does'nt count other than to those on the bubble .  

I do enjoy your posts I read alot of them the OP needs to remember what Allen iverson used to say " What we are talking about here is practice " He might want to take a chill pill & save  the analytical skills for the regular season 

12 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The Reverand who enjoys drama IMO just loves to over analyze & tries way to hard in a million words or more to tell everyone how smart he is which is annoying .

As the first pre-season game it was not spectacular nor was it meant to be , It was an opportunity to play a game against another team in an organized practice that just happened to be on a wet & windy night ,

We had an opportunity to see our players for the first time was it perfect of course not it boogles the mind to read some of the long winded posts . Play 1 Play 2 play 3 & so on . IMO as with every year we will see improvement each & every game with starters rounding into shape & those others on the bubble getting opportunities to make the team .

I saw Buffalo trying hard to Win they have a good defense & it showed & I saw Hilton's left foot slide out from underneath him because of field conditions & it concerned me I saw a few decent things out of the Colts QB's that played & Turbin on the screen play for a TD was really the main highlight of the night ,

It was a Good the Bad & a Ugly night plays were made & the Colts won , Which for me was surprising they did just enough to win while it was a glorified practice it does'nt count other than to those on the bubble .  

I do enjoy your posts I read alot of them the OP needs to remember what Allen iverson used to say " What we are talking about here is practice " He might want to take a chill pill & save  the analytical skills for the regular season 

I mean seriously! It's preseason for crying out loud. Charting all a guys mistakes to the Nth degree with no game planning and less than a quarters worth of play is extreme. I mean after this preseason is over you will often find teams playing sloppy even in the first couple regular season games. It's ridiculous to overanalyze this stuff right now, speaking about it as if you're 100 percent sure when you know there's so many elements missing to make a really good judgement.

It is pre-season so us winning is a huge surprises. You guys can nitpick but game 3 is the one you need to really pay attention too. Back to us winning. If we continue to winning I feel it's a huge improvement. People don't view it in a correct manner. It shows how hard the team practices and quality of our backups. Remember when we lose a starter our team suffers in a huge way. It will be good to see how this all develops. 

I thought that several young defenders look good for the first game. McGill, Lumpkin, Kerr and Ridgeway looked good up front.  Okine and Maggett I  thought looked especially good and Thompson ok. I was really impressed with Green and some of the young corners were impressive.

8 hours ago, Itsacoltthing said:

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

We drafted 4 Offensive Linemen, so although I'm not a Grigson fan, I don't think it's fair to say Kelly was all we thought we needed.  We added coaches (OL and OC), 4 draftees and have a new scheme.  So perhaps we did recognize there might be a problem..... we'll see don't throw in the towel just yet.

My thoughts after watching the game. As far as the starting defense. Body language was telling, V. Davis, Butler did not want to be out there. They should not have played. D. Jackson was going thru the motions, so was N. Irving. Adams looked like he was doing a lot of on the Job Training with the rookie Green. As far as the starting o-line Anthony C, Jack N, and Joe R played like they did not want to be out there. The number one draft pick was awesome to say the least. It was hard to get a good read on D Good he did not play long.

While it is no secret that A Luck drives this team, and it is like a completely different team when he is out there. Yesterday game as far as the starters was disturbing to watch. No Robert M no defensive rush, No Frank G no rushing, no Andrew L no passing. I compare this game with the Tennessee game. Right now Tennessee offense looks smash mouth good. The Colts offense another slow start.

The next game will be telling if this team looks like this next week, this is a bad sign as far as this year. If they come out and at least play inspired, then all may not be lost.

One thing is for sure some starters from last year team may not make the final 53.  

In the words of Phillip Rivers:

Rivers: Preseason is most overanalyzed 10 plays ever

"To me, the preseason is the most over-analyzed 10 plays or whatever it is -- ever," Chargersquarterback Philip Rivers said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune.

For Rivers, it's mainly about sample size. Ten to 15 plays isn't enough to surmise how an offense will look in a normal game in which it takes around 60 snaps.

"If these plays are really good," he added, "that doesn't mean we're an awesome team yet. If they're terrible, that doesn't mean we're not gonna be awesome."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000684145/article/rivers-preseason-is-most-overanalyzed-10-plays-ever

I saw enough good things to have confidence that we have some good pieces to the puzzle to work toward a well-rounded "53 team" come game 1 time.  lot to evaluate in-between time, but we have the coaches to make all the right decisions, the player personnel to do some division damage, and a franchise QB.  going to be a superb year to be a Colts fan.

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Based off the original post, you make it sound like the Colts are gonna have another bad year on the OL which would be shocking to me. I gotta believe Costanzo will rebound from last year, and Mewhort should only get better. Green is a rookie so it will take him half a season to become acclimated to the NFL, but his talent is undeniable. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  9-7 record. 

I disagree about the line.  Good was the worst lineman and he is not ready to be a starting guard, he didn't have the power that I expected to see. But Reitz, Kelly, Mewhort and AC all played well.

Retiz got beat one time that caused the Tolzien to get rid of the ball before he wanted to and AC got beat pretty badly one time that lead to Tolzien getting his arm hit and a near INT.

Mewhort had a couple of positioning mistakes but he played the best among all the lineman.

Clark was a pleasant surprise, he was much further along than I thought he would be.  He still needs to learn more about how to maintain balance as he moves forward but I think if the Colts needed him for a few games he he would hold his own.

Heag was ok.  He needs more power at guard and when he played tackle he let his shoulders get over his feet too many times... if he had been playing tackle against a guy that had the ability to do multiple moves he would have been set up for the spin move and the swim move.  For a rookie getting his first playing time in the NFL he looked pretty good.  He's just not ready to start yet.

I like Ferguson at RB.

On Tolzien after watching him play, I wish the Colts had made a play for Foles.

Defensively, you could tell the dline was not the starting unit.  They got next to no penetration and played on their side of the LOS. Parry was the best but without a support cast on both sides of him, he was taken out of most plays with double teams.

Moore, DQ and Irving all looked good.  The backups not so much, McNary had a sack but that was play design not his ability, he came in untouched.

Walden looked like his normal self... no earth shattering plays but no mistakes either he does his job and when there is a play to be made he makes it.

Colts still is not a pass rusher.

I don't think they threw at VD.  Robinson played well, his athletic ability is evident and he seemed to play the technique well but I don't know enough about the technique to say so  definitively.

Adams looked good but the question is can he keep it up all season.

Green looked really good, his played the run well and his pass coverage was spot on.  He had one play where he was  a step late transition and it led to a completion but other than that he was where it looked like he was supposed to be.

Butler did not play well, he was picked on and abused.

Depth at the ILB spot looks very week.

Okine and Bates seem to have that attacking mentality so that is good.

Harrison didn't look too bad at center, he still seemed confused if there were 4 guys from guard to guard but he snaps looked good and I didn't notice anything bad with his technique.

The one thing that stuck out from that game (the 1st half at least) the most was how many times someone got behind Green when he was the only deep safety.  On the TD the TE was behind him.  On another near TD the WR was behind him.  And there was another play that the WR got behind him.

He just can't let that happen.  I can see if he can't make it to the sideline to break up a pass when he has deep middle and the receiver beats his man.  But nobody should ever get BEHIND him on those situations.  And they weren't playaction plays either.  His awareness as deep safety just isn't there yet.

Now when he was in the box he was pretty solid.  Other than when he was in man coverage and got scorched on that double move. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree about the line.  Good was the worst lineman and he is not ready to be a starting guard, he didn't have the power that I expected to see. But Reitz, Kelly, Mewhort and AC all played well.

Retiz got beat one time that caused the Tolzien to get rid of the ball before he wanted to and AC got beat pretty badly one time that lead to Tolzien getting his arm hit and a near INT.

Mewhort had a couple of positioning mistakes but he played the best among all the lineman.

Clark was a pleasant surprise, he was much further along than I thought he would be.  He still needs to learn more about how to maintain balance as he moves forward but I think if the Colts needed him for a few games he he would hold his own.

Heag was ok.  He needs more power at guard and when he played tackle he let his shoulders get over his feet too many times... if he had been playing tackle against a guy that had the ability to do multiple moves he would have been set up for the spin move and the swim move.  For a rookie getting his first playing time in the NFL he looked pretty good.  He's just not ready to start yet.

I like Ferguson at RB.

Defensively, you could tell the dline was not the starting unit.  They got next to no penetration and played on their side of the LOS. Parry was the best but without a support cast on both sides of him, he was taken out of most plays with double teams.

Moore, DQ and Irving all looked good.  The backups not so much, McNary had a sack but that was play design not his ability, he came in untouched.

Walden looked like his normal self... no earth shattering plays but no mistakes either he does his job and when there is a play to be made he makes it.

Colts still is not a pass rusher.

I don't think they threw at VD.  Robinson played well, his athletic ability is evident and he seemed to play the technique well but I don't know enough about the technique to say so  definitively.

Adams looked good but the question is can he keep it up all season.

Green looked really good, his played the run well and his pass coverage was spot on.  He had one play where he was  a step late transition and it led to a completion but other than that he was where it looked like he was supposed to be.

Butler did not play well, he was picked on and abused.

Depth at the ILB spot looks very week.

Harrison didn't look too bad at center, he still seemed confused if there were 4 guys from guard to guard but he snaps looked good and I didn't notice anything bad with his technique.

Nice summary, although I think I have different opinions on some of it.  I'll put it this way about depth at the ILB, it's pretty consistent.  Not a huge drop off from one guy to the next.  Lot of young, inexperienced guys so there should be improvement.  I also didn't think Ferguson did anything to deserve to be the #2, but they didn't throw to him and that's his strength.  Enough has been said about his lack of blocking skills.

It's really hard to evaluate anyone after the firsts leave, you can only hope they're learning their assignments.

The last Buffalo drive is something I hope we don't see regularly.  No pressure on the QB, Cardele drove the field in no time.  I know they're not game planning and they wanted to see what the guys could do without bringing additional pressure.  I just don't want to see that prevent defense in a real game.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:55 AM, JPFolks said:

Kelly was a stud.  By far the most reliable O-Lineman.  No noticeable mistakes, never got crushed by a defensive lineman.  He's a keeper. 

And ive read other Analysts that have said he struggled against rushes up the middle.  That's not good at all.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

Tell us where Good missed these multiple assignments? I did not see Good get blown up or allow a sack. Matter of fact no one with the first unit allowed a sack, nor did the QB ever have to run out of the pocket. That's the thing that surprised me when I actually watched the game. And for all the talk of the so called bad run blocking, the first team offense really did not attempt to run the football much and when they did it was from shotgun. They were on the field for no more than a quarter or less. Really not much data, but people like to report stuff I guess?

The O-Line wasn't nearly as bad as some would lead the board to believe. Yes, there was pressure. That's going to happen though when the Defense has 8-9 in the box every play and is blitzing 2-4 guys at a time. In a normal situation, Luck is calling audibles away from those looks when he sees them. The run plays that were called were very vanilla with no audibles or consideration for the guys on the other side of the ball.

The important items to note for me were that no sacks were allowed and we didn't commit any turnovers for 60 minutes. The rest will fall into place as Luck and our quarterbacks start making more decisions at the line. For now, the coaches are looking at who is picking up/missing assignments and where adjustments need to be made for 9/11.

I was at the game with some Colts fans from Rochester.  Behind our bench ,8 rows up on the 25.  A good number of Colts fans in attendance.  Security was unbelievable.  Where we were huge bolders put in place before you walk up to the gates.  No vehicles could drive through. Huge police and armed presence. Armored vehicles at our entrance with camouflaged swat teams.  Wasn't expecting that.   A few observations.  Philbin never stops coaching.  The OL was in front of us and he never stopped coaching during the game, beginning to end.  I didn't watch the big TV  screen much but focused on the players I could see from our low seats.  I thought Reitz and AC could have played better but they were OK.  Our rookie OL played well.  All of them.  Surprised at how well Clark played, Haag looked solid as did Blyth in the last qtr.  Kelly and Good are big men.  Our line looked huge.  Harrison looked okay at center and guard.  We have some real good prospects on the OL.  Thornton better get back soon.  Green is a big safety and looks like a great athlete.  I felt better about him after seeing him play.  Bates looked good too and appeared to know his assignments.  Okine and Mcgill looked very good.  Ridgeway played well too.  My first impression on our draft class was very high. We could have some surprise cuts at the end.  I know it's only the first preseason game but the rookies collectively made a solid debut.  

19 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Gosh that was awfully long winded Mr. Troll.  We you referring to the first person to go play by play or just the second? That's right.. trolls ignore the bits that expose their hypocrisy and trolldom.  :troll:

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm really glad they didn't make a play for Foles.  I think he has a lot of potential and would have hated to see him stuck behind Luck for who knows how long.  I doubt he unseats Alex Smith this year unless Smith gets injured, but could see it happening next year.

On 8/14/2016 at 11:09 AM, Itsacoltthing said:

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

to the preseason game comment, yeah I don't think you do know that.  your post about this first preseason game is more vomit inducing than the play of even the worst Colt player from that game.  

as for Pagano's post game speeches...I'd strongly suggest you simply stop watching them. It's been the same thing from day one up until now and will most likely continue to be that way up until he retires.  If you continue to watch his post game interviews, then you deserve any frustration you feel.

43 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Colts fan from Canandaigua here but admit I didnt go to the Ralph for this pre-season game. Too many knuckleheads at that place.

You are right about the fans.  I have had some bad experiences there.  We went because it was preseason and we thought it wouldn't be too bad.  No problems.  There was lots of security inside as well.  Maybe they have it under control now.  Not sure though.  I live in Farmington.  I meet up with Colts fans at the Distillary on Monroe Ave. for the games. We are there for most games.  We have our own section on the second floor. It's a long drive but we have a lot of fun.  Please stop buy if you get a chance. 

20 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Bates did some nice things too.

Bates looks natural at Sam, instinctive, takes good angles, etc. He has some wiggle and burst, too, but seems outmatched physically, especially against linemen.

Some other observations of mine:

Josh Boyce looks good with the ball in his hands. 

Austin Blythe can't play guard. I thought the rest of the linemen looked decent enough, some rough spots but nothing too alarming, IMO. There's a lot of work to be done with blitz picks ups and communication, but it's the first preseason game. AC gave up an early pressure because of poor hand placement.

There were some misses in the run blocking. Just looked like some sloppy technique to me, guys not getting their arms extended, etc. This should also get some good attention this week. 

The defense is still slow to the sideline. This is made worse when guys lose the edge (Trent Cole). Moore looked good until he got hurt.

There's some decent penetration in the middle from guys like Parry, McGill, Kerr, and even Ridgeway (although Ridgeway got washed out a few times also). 

TJ Green is explosive. He also makes mistakes. Nothing we didn't know.

It appears the Colts have learned to run screen plays. :)

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Colts fan from Canandaigua here but admit I didnt go to the Ralph for this pre-season game. Too many knuckleheads at that place.

I had to look that city up.  I thought maybe you were from Canada but fell asleep on the keyboard while typing.

22 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Folks, I don't have any more time to spend on this right now... but I gave you quite a few plays you can go watch if you have it taped that are just a snippet of what happened the whole time Good was in the game.  Were mistakes made by other players?  Yes.  Especially by Rookies.  Good is not a rookie and has been talked up by everyone.  I don't know what @JMichael557 or @krunk or others were looking at, but please go watch that small sample of plays and see if my description of JMichael's fits better? Good was not Good when he was in there.  And remember, even if a play succeeds, it has nothing to do with whether Good made the right block or not.  In just the first 8 plays he made a lot of major errors and got embarrassed in the film room believe me.  

I was very optimistic about Good until he showed up at a slobbish 355.
 Guards that are slugs, that is a bad thing isn`t it?
 And similar at T, oh boy!

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Okine looked like an edge rusher. I'm not expecting him to be Mario Williams or anything, but I don't have too much concern about his ability to play outside.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, crazycolt1 said:

You are going to be sick over the 1st pre season game? I think you are having way too much knee jerk reaction. The Colts did draft more linemen other than Kelly so you are wrong in assuming the Colts thought drafting Kelly was all that was needed. We didn't even get a look at what the starters are even going to look like.

I'm well aware we got more than just Kelly at O-line in the draft. All I'm saying is I still see the same problems at O-line as I did last year (missed assignments, getting beat of the snap, terrible run blocking.) I understand this was the first pre season game ,but I'm sick of our franchise QB on his back more than any other QB in the league with no run game. That's the #1 issue we had to address this offseason and I didn't see any major changes. I might be over reacting but gosh dang are my expectations just to high? I like going in to the season knowing we got the AFC South locked up.

5 minutes ago, Itsacoltthing said:

I might be over reacting

there is no "might be" about it

but gosh dang are my expectations just to high?

for the first preseason game?  yes I would absolutely say your expectations were too high

I like going in to the season knowing we got the AFC South locked up.

duh, we all do, but it's not always going to happen that way.  

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

there is no "might be" about it

for the first preseason game?  yes I would absolutely say your expectations were too high

duh, we all do, but it's not always going to happen that way.  

I hate to know that you are pleased with how our O-line looked preseason or not. Its an issued that had to be fixed and I didn't see it. You dang right I have high expectations that's why I'm a Colts fan. If I was a Browns fan maybe I would be asking a little to much but I'm not. We have the best QB in the league lets give him an O-line to stand behind.

19 hours ago, Rally5 said:

We drafted 4 Offensive Linemen, so although I'm not a Grigson fan, I don't think it's fair to say Kelly was all we thought we needed.  We added coaches (OL and OC), 4 draftees and have a new scheme.  So perhaps we did recognize there might be a problem..... we'll see don't throw in the towel just yet.

I know we brought more than just Kelly in ,but when you read all this stuff and see Reitz and Good on the right side. That's telling me we don't have much better to put out there. I like Reitz but I don't think he is a starter. AFC South has got some pretty good defensive ends. I hope we get it figured out and I think we will.  

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

show me where I said that

I didn't quote you saying anything. All I'm doing is expressing my frustration about our O-line and you are commenting on my post acting like everything is all good. I hope you are right and we get this thing figured out and go on to have a great year.    

Just now, Itsacoltthing said:

I didn't quote you saying anything. All I'm doing is expressing my frustration about our O-line and you are commenting on my post acting like everything is all good. I hope you are right and we get this thing figured out and go on to have a great year.    

No, I'm not acting like everything is all good.  I'm commenting on your post to tell you how ridiculous your overreaction is considering where we're at in the preseason.

As for the performance of the running game without him, Gore said there shouldn’t be an overreaction to the running backs’ paltry 10 rushing yards on 19 carries against the Bills.

“You’re not game planning,” Gore said. “If there’s different looks (from the defense), you call different plays. You’re basically looking for technique, does the back know his protections, are guys getting low, are their eyes right?

“We’ll be alright.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/08/15/frank-gore-looks-forward-some-preseason-action/88768940/