Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts After Bills-Colts Preseason Game 1

JPFolks

I am totally shocked there isn't a summary post of people's thoughts after Preseason Game 1.  So I guess I will start off.  

I plan to rewatch it to focus on different players, but some of what I noticed about the O-Line: 

Reitz was getting lit up.  That's worrisome.  

Good missed multiple assignments and got lit up multiple times.  He appears not ready for prime time.  Sad. 

Kelly was a stud.  By far the most reliable O-Lineman.  No noticeable mistakes, never got crushed by a defensive lineman.  He's a keeper. 

Mewhort had some problems.  He's my favorite Colts lineman, but he's gotta get his act together.  

Constanzo seems to have picked up where he left off last year just after he got paid.. he's simply not doing his job reliably.  He won some, lost some and seemed lost some. 

Notable back ups: 

Haeg had a false start, but looked decent as a right guard, not great, but better than Good.  When he moved to Left Tackle he looked excellent, albeit againsts 2nd & 3rd teamers. If Castonzo doesn't get his act together, I think Haeg is his replacement.  I will feel better if we lose Costanzo to injury that we have a back up with this potential. 

LeRaven  Clark looked pretty steady at RT in his first action.  I have a feeling that sooner than later he'll; be our RT starter.  

Blythe was okay at left guard with no major mistakes but at center with some lesser players later in the game he (along with his teamates) had very little push in rush blocking.  I need to rewatch the game to better focus on him,   I know he had some good plays and got beat but not lit up (i.e. giving up a direct sack or tackle by his man) that I noticed, but it was first time through and I was trying to watch multiple players most of the time he was in.  

Other positives I saw were our third team back up QB who looked very solid, confident in the pocket with good quick reactions and decision making.  Definitely a surprise, but against inferior talent for sure.  And he wasn't getting crushed like Tolzien was.  

I saw some good play by some receivers and some big misses.  Will learn more on a second viewing but they held their own.  Didn't see much of the top receivers to form an opinion.  Glad they kept them out most of the game and safe.  Frankly we don't need to see any of them for more than a series or two per game.  

I was pleasantly surprised by our Defensive Line overall.  With so many people out Kerr and the gang did a solid job all things considered.  I was amazed by Kerr on a few plays, even when he wasn't involved in a tackle, his explosion off the ball was breathtaking a few times.  I think we may be able to stem the tide upfront for the first few games if we don't lose anyone else.  (Not sure how many guys are kept on the line, but the ones that played played above my expectations).  

Our new safety is not ready for prime time.  If Adams gets hurt we are SOOOO screwed.  Not sure how much they can coach this guy up by Detroit, but they better hope Geathers gets back sooner than later and I frankly thought we needed more than Geathers.  He seems more like a good situational player to me.  Bu for now, it's Green who certainly played like his name.  

I saw some flashes by a few D players, but overall the D seems certainly no better than last year. Butler looks old and slow.  And we are going to depend on him way too much.  

That's just some thoughts.  Oh, and as usual our Punter is a GOD! 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with mostly all of your write up besides a few small things. 

One thing I do not agree with at all is the way you described Greens play. IMO he played very well for what was expected of him. He pretty much was the only one making tackles on the second or third drive of the game. Also had some good coverage, a little loose but he wasn't getting blown away like some other guys... (Butler) 

59 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I am totally shocked there isn't a summary post of people's thoughts after Preseason Game 1.  So I guess I will start off.  

I plan to rewatch it to focus on different players, but some of what I noticed about the O-Line: 

Good missed multiple assignments and got lit up multiple times.  He appears not ready for prime time.  Sad. 

Kelly was a stud.  By far the most reliable O-Lineman.  No noticeable mistakes, never got crushed by a defensive lineman.  He's a keeper. 

Mewhort had some problems.  He's my favorite Colts lineman, but he's gotta get his act together.  

Constanzo seems to have picked up where he left off last year just after he got paid.. he's simply not doing his job reliably.  He won some, lost some and seemed lost some. 

Notable back ups: 

Haeg had a false start, but looked decent as a right guard, not great, but better than Good.  When he moved to Left Tackle he looked excellent, albeit againsts 2nd & 3rd teamers. If Castonzo doesn't get his act together, I think Haeg is his replacement.  I will feel better if we lose Costanzo to injury that we have a back up with this potential. 

LeRaven  Clark looked pretty steady at RT in his first action.  I have a feeling that sooner than later he'll; be our RT starter.  

Blythe was okay at left guard with no major mistakes but at center with some lesser players later in the game he (along with his teamates) had very little push in rush blocking.  I need to rewatch the game to better focus on him,   I know he had some good plays and got beat but not lit up (i.e. giving up a direct sack or tackle by his man) that I noticed, but it was first time through and I was trying to watch multiple players most of the time he was in.  

Other positives I saw were our third team back up QB who looked very solid, confident in the pocket with good quick reactions and decision making.  Definitely a surprise, but against inferior talent for sure.  And he wasn't getting crushed like Tolzien was.  

I saw some good play by some receivers and some big misses.  Will learn more on a second viewing but they held their own.  Didn't see much of the top receivers to form an opinion.  Glad they kept them out most of the game and safe.  Frankly we don't need to see any of them for more than a series or two per game.  

I was pleasantly surprised by our Defensive Line overall.  With so many people out Kerr and the gang did a solid job all things considered.  I was amazed by Kerr on a few plays, even when he wasn't involved in a tackle, his explosion off the ball was breathtaking a few times.  I think we may be able to stem the tide upfront for the first few games if we don't lose anyone else.  (Not sure how many guys are kept on the line, but the ones that played played above my expectations).  

Our new safety is not ready for prime time.  If Adams gets hurt we are SOOOO screwed.  Not sure how much they can coach this guy up by Detroit, but they better hope Geathers gets back sooner than later and I frankly thought we needed more than Geathers.  He seems more like a good situational player to me.  Bu for now, it's Green who certainly played like his name.  

I saw some flashes by a few D players, but overall the D seems certainly no better than last year. Butler looks old and slow.  And we are going to depend on him way too much.  

Everything you said was spot on. 

With one exception. And maybe that'll change when you rewatch the game, but Green played well especially for being a rookie. 

Now Butler on the other hand, well if he doesn't pick it up, he'll be the next toler 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Everything you said was spot on. 

With one exception. And maybe that'll change when you rewatch the game, but Green played well especially for being a rookie. 

Now Butler on the other hand, well if he doesn't pick it up, he'll be the next toler 

You may totally be right... I was really focused on the two lines mostly but I saw a couple low points which may have been balanced by some good or great play that I simply missed.  Sometimes when nothing happens it is because of solid play by guys you don't notice.  I will way we're VERY deep on the D Line once we get all our guys back.  They should be the best part of our D.  Our aging backer doesn't have a lot of help and Sio Moore went down, not sure how bad the injury is though.  Anyone else know? 

Just now, JPFolks said:

You may totally be right... I was really focused on the two lines mostly but I saw a couple low points which may have been balanced by some good or great play that I simply missed.  Sometimes when nothing happens it is because of solid play by guys you don't notice.  I will way we're VERY deep on the D Line once we get all our guys back.  They should be the best part of our D.  Our aging backer doesn't have a lot of help and Sio Moore went down, not sure how bad the injury is though.  Anyone else know? 

Last I heard, it was a hamstring and he'd be getting evaluated today.

Based off the original post, you make it sound like the Colts are gonna have another bad year on the OL which would be shocking to me. I gotta believe Costanzo will rebound from last year, and Mewhort should only get better. Green is a rookie so it will take him half a season to become acclimated to the NFL, but his talent is undeniable. 

Mostly agree with JP, although I don't have a high opinion of Clark yet.  And Green looks talented athletically but still learning the position. 

Wasnt he he the high safety when Butler was beat for the TD?  I need to re-watch.

Over all, depth looks impressive, first team... well, it's still the first preseason game.  

Oh, and Huntsville is rooting for you Chester!  Put on a few lbs buddy.

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Based off the original post, you make it sound like the Colts are gonna have another bad year on the OL which would be shocking to me. I gotta believe Costanzo will rebound from last year, and Mewhort should only get better. Green is a rookie so it will take him half a season to become acclimated to the NFL, but his talent is undeniable. 

I didn't say they would be bad or good... I commented on what I saw in the actual gameplay.  What did you see? Feel free to share.  I have watched about a dozen other preseason games and we didn't look crisp like quite a few of the teams I have seen so far.  It's game one, I am hoping that Clark will step up to be our RT at some point and Kelly is a beast and a dramatic upgrade on the Line.  Mewhort is my favorite lineman meaning I like the way he plays, he just had a sloppy game and made more mistakes than I am used to seeing him make.  Castonzo was very similar to how he was all last season, not very good (by his own acknowledgement).  It was like the moment he signed his new deal, he stopped playing well.  Of course we all hope he gets better, but we have to deal with reality right?  Right Guard is still a MAJOR problem on our team.  Good was really bad and then got hurt.  Haeg was okay in replacement, but RG is really not his natural position, he looked EXCELLENT at left tackle (albeit against weaker competition).  

I would say that is pretty positive overall.  But we still don't seem to have a right guard. 

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I don't agree with this at all, I think Green is ready to start and he will make serious waves pushing for that in the secondary, I'm not sure Geathers has a lock on the starting job anymore.

He showed good technique along with amazing speed and instincts. Don't really have much to complain about.

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

I don't agree with this at all, I think Green is ready to start and he will make serious waves pushing for that in the secondary, I'm not sure Geathers has a lock on the starting job anymore.

Silent Hill, I already acknowledged that you may well be right above.  I saw 3 plays that looked poorly executed which formed that opinion...I mostly watched line play.  I plan to rewatch for secondary players as well.  

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

3 minutes ago, Itsacoltthing said:

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

Lol!  Aren't you just a ray of sunshine!

3 minutes ago, Itsacoltthing said:

You are going to be sick over the 1st pre season game? I think you are having way too much knee jerk reaction. The Colts did draft more linemen other than Kelly so you are wrong in assuming the Colts thought drafting Kelly was all that was needed. We didn't even get a look at what the starters are even going to look like.

I disagree about Clark. He doesn't know how to properly shoot his hands yet. The Texas Tech stuff is really awful in terms of how it compares to what NFL lineman need to do.

Green can easily play either safety position. Looks like Pagano finally got his interchangeable safety.

I think Castanzo will be fine. What I'm worried about as usual is RG. I had hoped Thornton would break out this year, and he could, but its probably not likely. I'm sticking with what I said during free agency. We're crazy for not bringing in a guard. At least a vet like Evan Mathis. But hopefully between Reitz, Good, Thornton, Haeg, and Blythe the right side will work itself out, and 1 or 2 of those guys will break out.

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It did not air in Houston and I don't see it replayed on the NFL Network thought the 16th while the Pats/ Saints is shown more than once. I'll have to keep searching this coming week until they decide to show it. Glad to see they won.

It replayed on the Network this morning. 7:30 a.m. Here in Jersey

9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It did not air in Houston and I don't see it replayed on the NFL Network thought the 16th while the Pats/ Saints is shown more than once. I'll have to keep searching this coming week until they decide to show it. Glad to see they won.

NFL Network ran it at 6:30 (CDT) this morning. According to my DirecTV schedule, it's going to run again on Wednesday at 9:00 am. 

Play of Good.

I thought that he played very well. Run down is as follows:

1. Stood his man up.

2. Good Kick out block drove man away from play

3. Good Drive Block for first down

4. Pass he stopped his man and put him on ground

5. Run he drove his man inside. Reitz missed his man who made the tackle.

6. Pass he stopped his man

Next Series

7. Pulled right went through Tunnel and got the LB, Reitz missed the Kick out block and his man made tackle

8. Pass. Only hiccup  Bills ran a stunt. The man in front of Good went left Good took that man and stopped him but the brought a delayed blitz up the A gap. Good needed to slide over and take the blitz and leave his man to Reitz who had no one to block.. LB came clean

9. Pass stopped his man.

Next Series

10. Pass drove defender back

11. Run drove man back. Ferguson made a bad cut and missed the hole.

Film then locked up and I had to go back to work.

All I had time for today but very encouraged by Good's play. Reitz had a really bad game for the most part. The young tackles are going to push him for a starting job.

Watched a little bit of D. Cole was bad. Its time to let him go and keep the younger guys. I thought that Green was better than expected.

I

1 hour ago, Itsacoltthing said:

Ok it's the 1st preseason game. We don't look like world beaters after 1 preseason game. I will hold off judgement until game 1 when we see 12 and starters playing a full game before I make judgement. 

First of all, you have to take the performance in context.  No Luck or Gore lessens the stress on the defense.  Ryan did a lot of pressuring the A gap either through blitzes or overloading.  Secondly, the field was wet and a mess.

I was actually impressed with O-Line.  For the most part, the QBs had enough time to throw the ball.  Didn't matter which linemen were in.  I thought Kelly and Blythe looked solid at center.  The sooner Harrison is gone from the mix, the better.  I was a bit disappointed with the passing attack, but again there wasn't much to work with and bad field conditions.

It was a boring game but I liked what I saw.  Considering so many backups played, not bad!

1 hour ago, Itsacoltthing said:

Well, the good news is that Clark looked good for his first play.. better than Reitz in my opinion... so if we're lucky he'll be capable of stepping in when needed if Reitz can't cut it or gets hurt.  RG is our big problem in my opinion.  It's as bad as we were last year at this point.  Can someone step up?  Let's hope so.  Good failed and then got hurt.  I have nothing positive to say about Harrison.  Haeg will be a solid starter but I don't think he's a RG.. to me I think he's a pure tackle who is so good he can play guard if needed out of sheer Talent.  Coach Mudd wasn't joking when he praised Haeg.. he's the real deal.  I must say that I am impressed with our Rookies... but what we didn't get was a GUARD... we got 2 tackles and 2 centers.  I hope Blythe steps up into the backup center position but if he can't do it, I fear he'll become and ineffective guard which will hurt his future.  If he can somehow make the 53 and Green is even average as a starter then this will become Grigson's greatest draft.   But even with that praise, our worst O-line problem of last year remains the same this year unless Good really steps up bigtime.  

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I disagree about Clark. He doesn't know how to properly shoot his hands yet. The Texas Tech stuff is really awful in terms of how it compares to what NFL lineman need to do.

Green can easily play either safety position. Looks like Pagano finally got his interchangeable safety.

Well, I know some of the non drafted linemen they had in camp (and pretty much everyone at RG in the game) had terrible technique.  I saw Good literally CATCH and HUG block a rusher on one play, one of the worst technique gaffs I have ever seen from a Pro.  It is like how Pop Warner kids start blocking.  I know people are high on him but he'll need to do more, a lot more, to be a reliable starter.  

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, the good news is that Clark looked good for his first play.. better than Reitz in my opinion... so if we're lucky he'll be capable of stepping in when needed if Reitz can't cut it or gets hurt.  RG is our big problem in my opinion.  It's as bad as we were last year at this point.  Can someone step up?  Let's hope so.  Good failed and then got hurt.  I have nothing positive to say about Harrison.  Haeg will be a solid starter but I don't think he's a RG.. to me I think he's a pure tackle who is so good he can play guard if needed out of sheer Talent.  Coach Mudd wasn't joking when he praised Haeg.. he's the real deal.  I must say that I am impressed with our Rookies... but what we didn't get was a GUARD... we got 2 tackles and 2 centers.  I hope Blythe steps up into the backup center position but if he can't do it, I fear he'll become and ineffective guard which will hurt his future.  If he can somehow make the 53 and Green is even average as a starter then this will become Grigson's greatest draft.   But even with that praise, our worst O-line problem of last year remains the same this year unless Good really steps up bigtime.  

I'm once again wondering who starts on the right side. That was the problem last year. I'm tempted to say let Haeg start at RT. But then who plays RG?

Butler... :hide:

His coverage has always been susceptible at best, but he looks clearly like he's lost a step or three. Someone remarked in the game thread last night how we hadn't committed any defensive holding penalties and I had to point out the frightening fact that that was because Butler wasn't even close enough to touch his man. 

It really probably would be for the best if he did not make the final 53... 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm once again wondering who starts on the right side. That was the problem last year. I'm tempted to say let Haeg start at RT. But then who plays RG?

I am with you.  I think in a perfect world they'd like Haeg and Clark to be our long term tackles and Haeg looked much more comfy at LT than RG.  (But I thought he was better than anyone else while in there, but still not good enough).  I am hoping Reitz can hold down the position at least through part of the season to give the other guys more experience and comfort level with schemes and assignments so they aren't thinking, they're just playing.  None of us know if Kelly made mistakes on line calls, but I don't think he did because they ran very basic stuff AND they didn't change plays at the line that I noticed, even when it was a bad play.  (Not sure why they do that, don't you need to practice changing plays?).  But Kelly as a Center is ROCK solid for a first time NFL starting center against a good line (they didn't have their starters all there, so it wasn't as complete as others have suggested, they were down some guys).  I think Haeg COULD start if needed at either Tackle spot and likely would be at least average out of the box.  He's been a 4 year starter in college so he knows what he's doing.  But it is far different to play guard and I think we're STILL in trouble there.  Guess there wasn't a good enough pure guard prospect available when we had picks.  

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I didn't say they would be bad or good... I commented on what I saw in the actual gameplay.  What did you see? Feel free to share.  I have watched about a dozen other preseason games and we didn't look crisp like quite a few of the teams I have seen so far.  It's game one, I am hoping that Clark will step up to be our RT at some point and Kelly is a beast and a dramatic upgrade on the Line.  Mewhort is my favorite lineman meaning I like the way he plays, he just had a sloppy game and made more mistakes than I am used to seeing him make.  Castonzo was very similar to how he was all last season, not very good (by his own acknowledgement).  It was like the moment he signed his new deal, he stopped playing well.  Of course we all hope he gets better, but we have to deal with reality right?  Right Guard is still a MAJOR problem on our team.  Good was really bad and then got hurt.  Haeg was okay in replacement, but RG is really not his natural position, he looked EXCELLENT at left tackle (albeit against weaker competition).  

I would say that is pretty positive overall.  But we still don't seem to have a right guard. 

They've only been blocking against fellow Colts teammates up until last night, & the offensive playcalling was fairly basic, so I'll reserve judgment until I see the whole first team in action for extended playing time. The 3rd preseason game should give some indication as to what we should expect to see come week 1.

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

7 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Our running offense looked as good as usual.....

and of course by that you mean God-Awful... yeah the O-Line looks as bad or even worse than it did last year. 

Probably not enough detailed attention is being paid to second and third string players coming in and becoming a cohesive whole, whoever is playing. This will either get better, or it won't. We'll see.

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Notable back ups: 

Tell us where Good missed these multiple assignments? I did not see Good get blown up or allow a sack. Matter of fact no one with the first unit allowed a sack, nor did the QB ever have to run out of the pocket. That's the thing that surprised me when I actually watched the game. And for all the talk of the so called bad run blocking, the first team offense really did not attempt to run the football much and when they did it was from shotgun. They were on the field for no more than a quarter or less. Really not much data, but people like to report stuff I guess?

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Well, I know some of the non drafted linemen they had in camp (and pretty much everyone at RG in the game) had terrible technique.  I saw Good literally CATCH and HUG block a rusher on one play, one of the worst technique gaffs I have ever seen from a Pro.  It is like how Pop Warner kids start blocking.  I know people are high on him but he'll need to do more, a lot more, to be a reliable starter.  

just not true