Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts After Bills-Colts Preseason Game 1

JPFolks

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Well, the good news is that Clark looked good for his first play.. better than Reitz in my opinion... so if we're lucky he'll be capable of stepping in when needed if Reitz can't cut it or gets hurt.  RG is our big problem in my opinion.  It's as bad as we were last year at this point.  Can someone step up?  Let's hope so.  Good failed and then got hurt.  I have nothing positive to say about Harrison.  Haeg will be a solid starter but I don't think he's a RG.. to me I think he's a pure tackle who is so good he can play guard if needed out of sheer Talent.  Coach Mudd wasn't joking when he praised Haeg.. he's the real deal.  I must say that I am impressed with our Rookies... but what we didn't get was a GUARD... we got 2 tackles and 2 centers.  I hope Blythe steps up into the backup center position but if he can't do it, I fear he'll become and ineffective guard which will hurt his future.  If he can somehow make the 53 and Green is even average as a starter then this will become Grigson's greatest draft.   But even with that praise, our worst O-line problem of last year remains the same this year unless Good really steps up bigtime.  

Clark gave up a sack off the right edge and it didn't look good.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

just not true

They were moving guys in an out, when I rewatch I will check to make sure I have the right guy, but the block was as I described.  I'll try to find the right time of game so you can look for it.  

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Play of Good.

I thought that he played very well. Run down is as follows:

1. Stood his man up.

2. Good Kick out block drove man away from play

3. Good Drive Block for first down

4. Pass he stopped his man and put him on ground

5. Run he drove his man inside. Reitz missed his man who made the tackle.

6. Pass he stopped his man

Next Series

7. Pulled right went through Tunnel and got the LB, Reitz missed the Kick out block and his man made tackle

8. Pass. Only hiccup  Bills ran a stunt. The man in front of Good went left Good took that man and stopped him but the brought a delayed blitz up the A gap. Good needed to slide over and take the blitz and leave his man to Reitz who had no one to block.. LB came clean

9. Pass stopped his man.

Next Series

10. Pass drove defender back

11. Run drove man back. Ferguson made a bad cut and missed the hole.

Film then locked up and I had to go back to work.

All I had time for today but very encouraged by Good's play. Reitz had a really bad game for the most part. The young tackles are going to push him for a starting job.

Watched a little bit of D. Cole was bad. Its time to let him go and keep the younger guys. I thought that Green was better than expected.

I

Thank you. I saw this!

I was limited into what I could see on my phone but the offense in general didn't wow me but it's the first game of preseason with a new system getting installed and no Luck or Gore and TY left early. My question of the game is, we were going to change oline scheme from power man to a zbs, did we zbs last night? My big concern is are the guys we had more suited for zbs instead of man? Good is the one I can see not fitting that scheme well and Mewhort is my second worry about the switch as those 2 seemed better in the power scheme but time will tell. Talent usually wins out and I think both those guys have talent. I just don't think this game means anything in terms of where this team will be in 4 weeks while learning new schemes on offense and on defense. Covering the middle of the field on defense seemed to be on par with what we normally do, that's bad but again, let's shake out the rust, jitters and learning curve as well as moving on from players they are evaluating and all starters getting in. 

Play of Good.

1. Stood his man up.

Next Series

7. Pulled right went through Tunnel and got the LB, Reitz missed the Kick out block and his man made tackle

8. Pass. Only hiccup  Bills ran a stunt. The man in front of Good went left Good took that man and stopped him but the brought a delayed blitz up the A gap. Good needed to slide over and take the blitz and leave his man to Reitz who had no one to block.. LB came clean

9. Pass stopped his man.

Next Series

All I had time for today but very encouraged by Good's play. Reitz had a really bad game for the most part. The young tackles are going to push him for a starting job.

Watched a little bit of D. Cole was bad. Its time to let him go and keep the younger guys. I thought that Green was better than expected.

I

I'm glad you broke down all of Goods snaps because this is exactly what I saw. And yes I agree about Cole. I could see Cole being handed Adios papers with the potential of some of these young guys.

Players I feel would be upgrades for us that might be available after cuts by the Bills.

Justin Zimmer was very strong on their D but buried amongst their depth. He was a forum favorite pre draft.

Cardel Jones has more upside than either of our backup projects.

Play of Good.

1. Stood his man up.

Next Series

9. Pass stopped his man.

Next Series

I

^^^This^^^

Reitz is a short term back up.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm glad you broke down all of Goods snaps because this is exactly what I saw. And yes I agree about Cole. I could see Cole being handed Adios papers with the potential of some of these young guys.

On the play #3 Good has no arm extension, gets driven backwards into the play. His defender #99 puts him flat on his back with one arm (his left) while getting his right arm in on the tackle.  Sure, it got a first down, but not thanks to Good.  I will continue.  But Good got BLOWN UP on the third play of the night and embarrassingly ended up flat on his back behind the line of scrimmage.  Watch it.  I will continue to watch a bit longer....

26 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

They were moving guys in an out, when I rewatch I will check to make sure I have the right guy, but the block was as I described.  I'll try to find the right time of game so you can look for it.  

I saw it also a flag was thrown, he literally grabbed the guy around his neck and put him in some type of half sleeper hold. 

Honestly I dont see how you could make much of a real assessment about the Colts run blocking unless you want to say the second and third team linemen are the starters. It's like some of you want to give all the problems of the backups to the starters. The Starters played for about a quarter or less and you know Buffalo has to spend part of that time on offense themselves. I can recall us running the football maybe 3-5 times max and most of that was shotgun type of running plays. Most people play the Bills out of the spread as their run D is good. Matter of fact the Pats usually dont try to run on them much at all. I dont think there were even enough attempts to run from that first unit to say much and this is the Preseason so its not like we had a game plan laid out, or guys and plays identified that we knew we could have success on. Everything we did was really basic. I didn't see any type of zone stretch or traditional type runs to open things up. To me there wasn't a great effort made to run the football by the starters to say much. The second and third teamers struggled but they are NOT the 1st unit.

On Play #5, it was a disaster... Good let the guy over him straight through who nearly tackled the RB 5 yards deep.. then he tried to seal (which may well have been his assignment) another guy but it wasn't the right guy.. the guy he should have sealed made the tackle.  Now, to be fair the entire play was a Cluster &*^# across the board, but Good essentially did nothing positive on the play. The guy he tried to block was already being blocked by Kelly. He let two other guys go make the tackle and by the end of the play he was just standing watching his RB get tackled for a loss.  As I watch it further, the reason he couldn't get to his guy is the defender who was being blocked by Kelly reached out with his free arm and literally prevented Good from getting to his assigned man who made the tackle on the play.  The more I watch it the more I realize that Good had no idea what was going on and fo a second time let the defender manhandle him with a single arm.  Shall I continue? 

Pass blocking wise again i was told the first unit was bad but when i watched the game I never saw Tolzien have to run out of the pocket due to pressure and no one gave up a sack. I mean what are you expecting in a preseason game. I mean the Eagles got their QB hit several times. I didnt see that from any of the Colts units. The most i can remember is Morris running out of the pocket once. Protection could have maybe been more stiff but come on its preseason and guys are getting back to game speed and game shape.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pass blocking wise again i was told the first unit was bad but when i watched the game I never saw Tolzien have to run out of the pocket due to pressure and no one gave up a sack. I mean what are you expecting in a preseason game. I mean the Eagles got their QB hit several times. I didnt see that from any of the Colts units. The most i can remember is Morris running out of the pocket once. Protection could have maybe been more stiff but come on its preseason and guys are getting back to game speed and game shape.

4th play of the game Costanzo misses his block and Tolzien gets pounded as he wildly throws the ball downfield to avoid the sack...   Krunk, did you WATCH the game?  I mean there are problems on most plays and as I watch for a second time with each play in slow motion it's clear that what I thought I saw, I saw plenty of.... 

Play #7, Good pulls and his guy (which he's pulling away from) goes right in for the tackle.  But even if that hadn't happened, he misses his block on the pull and just grazes the guy who would have easily made a tackle for a loss if the play hadn't already ended with a loss.  It's still a missed block.  Onward? 

7 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

4th play of the game Costanzo misses his block and Tolzien gets pounded as he wildly throws the ball downfield to avoid the sack...   Krunk, did you WATCH the game?  I mean there are problems on most plays and as I watch for a second time with each play in slow motion it's clear that what I thought I saw, I saw plenty of.... 

Dude you are sitting here talking like a preseason game is supposed to be crisp and clean with no mistakes and 100 percent execution. Again there were no sacks and the starters played for a quarter or less with no game planning. You want everyone to hit the panick button over less than a quarters worth of play and no game planning. It's ridiculous.

Play #8 the Bill pull a double A gap blitz right between Good and Kelly.  Now we don't know what Kelly called, but the two blitzers are right in that gap in front of Good.  Kelly takes the nose tackle and blocks him... Good doesn't even look at the two blitzers leaning over him and instead flairs out to the right making the gap wide open between him and Kelly to try and double team the guy over Reitz... I mean come on/... a high school player knows that two blitzers standing in the gap between you and the center with no back to slow them down need to be addressed no matter the line call, which for all we know was CORRECT.  Kelly took his guy, Reitz took his guy (though even with Goods help not very well) and eventually we are left with Good standing and watching his QB go down while tossing the ball up for grabs right behind him by the two blitzers who weren't disguising their blitz in any way and he spun around in a circle while the ball was being batted around in front of him by defenders including the guy he tried to double team with Reitz.   Moving on.  .  

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Play #7, Good pulls and his guy (which he's pulling away from) goes right in for the tackle.  But even if that hadn't happened, he misses his block on the pull and just grazes the guy who would have easily made a tackle for a loss if the play hadn't already ended with a loss.  It's still a missed block.  Onward? 

So Good is responsible for the man in front of him on a pull block? Why are you not blaming this on the person who actually missed their assignment. No Good is responsible for hypothetical too!

15 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

im wondering this about your analysis JP. Do you know what you are evaluating. Do you understand this is preseason?

Folks, I don't have any more time to spend on this right now... but I gave you quite a few plays you can go watch if you have it taped that are just a snippet of what happened the whole time Good was in the game.  Were mistakes made by other players?  Yes.  Especially by Rookies.  Good is not a rookie and has been talked up by everyone.  I don't know what @JMichael557 or @krunk or others were looking at, but please go watch that small sample of plays and see if my description of JMichael's fits better? Good was not Good when he was in there.  And remember, even if a play succeeds, it has nothing to do with whether Good made the right block or not.  In just the first 8 plays he made a lot of major errors and got embarrassed in the film room believe me.  

17 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Are you the same person who said Clark played well? Do you recall the sack he gave up on the right side one on one with his man? You're rewinding all this tape but you leave this out while hoding Good accountable for Hypotheticals.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Dude you are sitting here talking like a preseason game is supposed to be crisp and clean with no mistakes and 100 percent execution. Again there were no sacks and the starters played for a quarter or less with no game planning. You want everyone to hit the panick button over less than a quarters worth of play and no game planning. It's ridiculous.

I never said to hit the panic button.. I simply stated what I saw in the game and suggested for Good to be a starter he had a long way to go and that the line did not look good as a unit.  That's a fact, they did not look good.  JMichael posted some fairy tale about how great Good was playing which simply does not remotely match the film.  Go watch it.  You also insisted that my description of Good getting punked never happened.. well he got punked multiple times in the first 8 plays and he also did later if I had the time to keep going.  A fact of what happened isn't a panic button.. it's just a fact.  Why deny them? You're free to say you aren't worried and they'll all be in the Pro Bowl, who cares... but you essentially called me a liar by saying what I saw never happened.  Not cool and frankly you're the one who is wrong, but I will accept you're simply mistaken and not lying.  

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Are you the same person who said Clark played well? Do you recall the sack he gave up on the right side one on one with his man? You're rewinding all this tape but you leave this out while hoding Good accountable for Hypotheticals.

You're changing the subject now.. defend your position on Good with facts or admit you're wrong.  As fo Clark, that's a different discussion.  He gave up one sack you say.  Did he get blown up play after play and miss assignments?  Do you think he failed on a higher % of plays than Good failed on? I would challenge that.  But I found the evidence to prove my point.  So feel free to find evidence that by comparison, Clark looked less promising than Reitz or Good for that matter? I'll check back. Or is this just another mistake you've made? You gave me a single play which I never denied.  Build a case to show that Clark did not look promising.  

4 hours ago, Itsacoltthing said:

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

Um, you didn't watch the game. The pass protection was pretty great with the 1's, Running the ball and setting the edge is still an issue, but it's MUCH improved from last season

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I never said to hit the panic button.. I simply stated what I saw in the game and suggested for Good to be a starter he had a long way to go and that the line did not look good as a unit.  That's a fact, they did not look good.  JMichael posted some fairy tale about how great Good was playing which simply does not remotely match the film.  Go watch it.  You also insisted that my description of Good getting punked never happened.. well he got punked multiple times in the first 8 plays and he also did later if I had the time to keep going.  A fact of what happened isn't a panic button.. it's just a fact.  Why deny them? You're free to say you aren't worried and they'll all be in the Pro Bowl, who cares... but you essentially called me a liar by saying what I saw never happened.  Not cool and frankly you're the one who is wrong, but I will accept you're simply mistaken and not lying.  

its a fairy tale to a man who doesnt know what the hell hes looking at and giving guys assignments who belong to other people.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:16 PM, Feardaneard said:
On 8/14/2016 at 2:47 PM, JPFolks said:
I saw it also a flag was thrown, he literally grabbed the guy around his neck and put him in some type of half sleeper hold. 

I'm almost certain that was Clark that had that penalty not Good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

1 minute ago, jchandler7 said:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pointless to argue with the guy. If he doesn't like the player he gives other peoples hiccups to the guy he doesn't like and says it was the fault of the guy he doesn't like and flaps his arms like he knows.

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You're changing the subject now.. defend your position on Good with facts or admit you're wrong.  As fo Clark, that's a different discussion.  He gave up one sack you say.  Did he get blown up play after play and miss assignments?  Do you think he failed on a higher % of plays than Good failed on? I would challenge that.  But I found the evidence to prove my point.  So feel free to find evidence that by comparison, Clark looked less promising than Reitz or Good for that matter? I'll check back. Or is this just another mistake you've made? You gave me a single play which I never denied.  Build a case to show that Clark did not look promising.  

No change of the subject. It's an example of all this tape you're watching but yet coming up with pure bull analysis.

Just now, krunk said:

its a fairy tale to a man who doesnt know what the hell hes looking at and giving guys assignments who belong to other people.

I stated that we don't know what line call Kelly might have made, but if you have two blitzers in the A gap and one lineman over the Center and one over the RT and you are the RG, and you know there's no RB to pick up a blitz (and even if there was, there are two guys blitzing) that you may need to address that.  But ironically, even IF somehow he did the right thing by letting those two guys blow up the QB, he didn't even successfully double team the guy over the RT... he failed in every possible scenario you can come up with on that play.  

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pointless to argue with the guy. If he doesn't like the player he gives other peoples hiccups to the guy he doesn't like and says it was the fault of the guy he doesn't like and flaps his arms like he knows.

Really?  Let's see.. who is it that I like better that I am supporting?  Not Reitz because he made mistakes on many of the same plays.  Kelly seems solid but he plays a different position.  I certainly don't like Harrison, but I actually refrained from even commenting on him.  So who is it that you're saying I like instead of Good? You made the accusation.. fill in the blank?  Clark is a rookie who looks promising.  Prove me wrong.  If you say one bad play makes him "not" promising, then what must Good be? Far less than promising? 

I'd like to see a line up of castonzo, mewhort, Kelly, reitz, haeg. Or in that lineup substitute Reitz for good at RG and see how they do either way I'd like to see what haeg can do with the ones at RT. I liked what I saw out of him alot. He's much better than Clark right now. Not that Clark doesn't have potential but last night he didn't use his biggest asset ( his long arms) at all. He let his guy get in on him on about every play. He was doing alot of bear hugging instead of keeping his arms out stretched.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

I stated that we don't know what line call Kelly might have made, but if you have two blitzers in the A gap and one lineman over the Center and one over the RT and you are the RG, and you know there's no RB to pick up a blitz (and even if there was, there are two guys blitzing) that you may need to address that.  But ironically, even IF somehow he did the right thing by letting those two guys blow up the QB, he didn't even successfully double team the guy over the RT... he failed in every possible scenario you can come up with on that play.  

If I get a chance I'll go back and look at that one, however Chud tends to respond to the Double A gap blitz with screens like we did with the Todman screen which may explain why Good supposedly flared out. If it was even a double A because I have no clue what you even saw.

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Really?  Let's see.. who is it that I like better that I am supporting?  Not Reitz because he made mistakes on many of the same plays.  Kelly seems solid but he plays a different position.  I certainly don't like Harrison, but I actually refrained from even commenting on him.  So who is it that you're saying I like instead of Good? You made the accusation.. fill in the blank?  Clark is a rookie who looks promising.  Prove me wrong.  If you say one bad play makes him "not" promising, then what must Good be? Far less than promising? 

Another individual in this same thread pointed out every single assignment Good carried out well and yet you called all that he saw a fairy tale. Are you really looking for a counter view or are you just looking to spout off your opinions? I mean you are Gospel right?

On 8/14/2016 at 4:20 PM, JPFolks said:
On 8/14/2016 at 4:11 PM, jchandler7 said:

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

For the record I did not say Good had a penalty.  

I was saying that to the guy that said they threw a flag. I don't get on here to argue, every body is subject to their own personal opinion. I was just stating that the play feardennard was talking about was actually Clark.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

JP you assessment is incorrect

On Play #3 Good made a great block. it was a dive play 3rd and 1 though the A gap. Goods defender moved over into the A gap presnap. Good was able to get inside of him and turn the defender so that we got the first down. Great Block.

On Play 3 #5 his job was to release to the linebacker, Reitz was to kick out the DE. Good blocked the LB and Reitz let his man come free. That is no on Good.

On Play #7 we pulled good and Reitz to the right. The TE was to come inside of them and seal the DT. The missed his block. Reitz again was to putt and kickout the outside defender He missed his block. Good ran through the funnel which was his job and got the LBer.

Play #8 he messed up and I would agree.

Good played very well. you have to know the assignment to access the player. If Reitz misses a block you cannot blame Good. If he is to lead block to the LB he cannot change direction and help Reitz on what is the easiest block to perform i.e. a kickout block. His play on #3 was really outstanding the DT had positioning and leverage and Good moved him out of the A gap were the runner was coming downhill.

I am very weary of judging a team or even a unit off of pre-season games because nobody is scheming, so many players are out, you don't know who all of your starters are, plays are basic, etc.  So I usually just go off individuals.  In that vein, I thought Green actually did fairly well and is every bit as fast as he looked on his college tapes.  He even got beat on that long throw but his catch-up speed allowed him to make it up and the pass was incomplete.  I thought Morrison and Bates did some nice things too.  Reitz wasn't real solid.  Kelly was for his first game.  We didn't get much of a chance to see what Ferguson can do because there was no room to run and they didn't throw it to him, which I think will be his biggest attribute to us.  What Todman did on that screen I feel very confident Ferguson could do as well.  Speaking of Todman, he looked better than I thought even though it was against 3rd teamers.  Tolzein, up and down.  Morris looked good and very comfortable.  D-Line is going to be good AND deep when everybody is there.  I think we are going to be able to get to the QB better this year.  Pat and Adam, great as usual.  Nothing else needs to be said there.  We won't really get any feel for Monachino or Chud until the 3rd game where they scheme a little bit.

20 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

JP you assessment is incorrect

On Play #3 Good made a great block. it was a dive play 3rd and 1 though the A gap. Goods defender moved over into the A gap presnap. Good was able to get inside of him and turn the defender so that we got the first down. Great Block.

On Play 3 #5 his job was to release to the linebacker, Reitz was to kick out the DE. Good blocked the LB and Reitz let his man come free. That is no on Good.

On Play #7 we pulled good and Reitz to the right. The TE was to come inside of them and seal the DT. The missed his block. Reitz again was to putt and kickout the outside defender He missed his block. Good ran through the funnel which was his job and got the LBer.

Play #8 he messed up and I would agree.

Good played very well. you have to know the assignment to access the player. If Reitz misses a block you cannot blame Good. If he is to lead block to the LB he cannot change direction and help Reitz on what is the easiest block to perform i.e. a kickout block. His play on #3 was really outstanding the DT had positioning and leverage and Good moved him out of the A gap were the runner was coming downhill.

Exactly what I saw.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Exactly what I saw.

I literally saw everything you saw including the block where he put his man on the ground. Might have even been two of those types of blocks. There was another i saw where he made it out to the linebacker and knocked the guys helmet off amongst the others you listed. Where he gets this other stuff from i have no clue!

Considering this game is recorded in my DVR & I haven't even watched it yet, it begs the question: SW1, why are you even skimming thru this thread? A fair question. Hades, even a darn good question to be truthful with ya.

Honestly, I was just at the start of the Giants vs Dolphins game when I was blown away by a girl named Sofia Genus who delivered the best rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I have ever heard since Whitney Houston did it at a SB. It was incredible. Wow. I was gonna talk about it in the Natl. Anthem thread, but unfortunately, the topic was closed. Oh well. 

At any rate, sorry for the brief detour folks. Carry on. Carry on. Sofia Genus gave a very moving performance though. That girl has a nice set of pipes. Amazing. Check it out if you can. Well worth it IMO. Okay, SW1 will shut up now.