Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Kraft tried to regain Patriots' draft pick in a letter to Roger Goodell

bayone

Back in May, Kraft decided to accept the Patriots' penalties handed out by the league. At a press conference, Kraft announced, "I'm going to accept, reluctantly, what [Goodell] has given to us and not continue this dialogue and rhetoric. And we won't appeal."

But, despite surrendering to Goodell nearly a year ago, Kraft never stopped trying to regain his team's first-round pick. At the NFL owners meetings in Florida on Monday, Kraft revealed that he wrote Goodell a letter over a month ago in an attempt to get back the Patriots' lost draft pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25525567/robert-kraft-tried-to-regain-patriots-draft-pick-in-a-letter-to-roger-goodell?ttag=nfldailyheadline103212016&ET_CID=6940&ET_RID=26592143  

"We have put our best case forward, and that's in the league's hands now," Kraft said. 

Bob, you don't seriously think that Roger's just gonna surrender & give your pick back do ya? 

When Jerry Jones lost a 1st rounder for spending above the salary cap, he never got it back & neither will you. 

A total waste of paperwork. Just light a match & throw it in the trash can Mr. Kraft. 

He's lucky I wasn't GM.

He'd lost all draft picks for this year, stripped of the superbowl win, a post season ban, Hoodie suspended for a year and the deflator who took the balls into the bathroom and from the refs room illegally would have been suspended for LIFE from the NFL, Brady would be out an entire season as well as banned for life from the HOF much like Pete Rose 

Yep, lucky I wasn't GM

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

He's lucky I wasn't GM.

He'd lost all draft picks for this year, stripped of the superbowl win, a post season ban, Hoodie suspended for a year and the deflator who took the balls into the bathroom and from the refs room illegally would have been suspended for LIFE from the NFL, Brady would be out an entire season as well as banned for life from the HOF much like Pete Rose 

Yep, lucky I wasn't GM

I don't think GMs make those decisions 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

He's lucky I wasn't GM.

Yep, lucky I wasn't GM

I think the Pats losing a 1st and a 4th Round pick and being fined a Million is close to a enough punishment. Having said that because I do think Tom knew (and didn't fully cooperate with an investigation - destroying a phone) and had something to do with a few balls being deflated I would suspend him for 1 game. Just to send a message that no 1 player is above the game and nobody should screw the integrity of the game or even think about doing it. I think anything more is a bit much. Having him sit 1 game would at least show he is guilty of something. I think your punishments are way out in left field. I cant stand the Pats but lets be reasonable.

'I know the league is currently waiting on an appeals decision centering around the legitimacy of their claims against our team, but maybe they'll overturn their penalty against us and undermine their standing in the appeals case if we just ask nicely.'

Good luck with that.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

'I know the league is currently waiting on an appeals decision centering around the legitimacy of their claims against our team, but maybe they'll overturn their penalty against us and undermine their standing in the appeals case if we just ask nicely.'

Good luck with that.

The Pats losing those Draft picks and getting fined should hold and Tom should sit 1 game and I would be fine with that. To me that is far from harsh and fair. None of their SB wins are getting taken away, their win against us still counts as a blowout, and Tom Brady is still a Top 3 QB ever in most peoples eyes so his legacy isn't even tarnished from what I read from most NFL fans. So he sits 1 game, learns a lesson and it's over.

I think Brady should get the original four game suspension. When a person is ask a direct question of did you cheat? And the answer was I don't think so, it speaks for itself. That is classic deflection IMO. It was not a judgment answer. It was a yes or no cut and dried answer.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Pats losing those Draft picks and getting fined should hold and Tom should sit 1 game and I would be fine with that. To me that is far from harsh and fair. None of their SB wins are getting taken away, their win against us still counts as a blowout, and Tom Brady is still a Top 3 QB ever in most peoples eyes so his legacy isn't even tarnished from what I read from most NFL fans. So he sits 1 game, learns a lesson and it's over.

Brady's suspension is a different story. The NFL is fighting for its right to penalize players for conduct detrimental, as all parties agreed to in the CBA. I think that, unless there's an obviously unfair proceeding, a suspension should stand.

The Pats accepted the league's penalty way back when. They didn't challenge the league's standing to penalize a team, and now they want the league to just reverse course for no reason. Like you, I think the Pats punishment should stand, as I think it's obvious they had employees deliberately breaking the rules, and the organization is a repeat offender.

22 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Hahaha.... this is funny. There is a decent chance Kraft is gonna get even worse with there being a decent chance Tom ends up serving a 4 game suspension at the end of all of this. 

I know he needs to quit while he is ahead haha What I mean by that Tommy has got off free of anything. Losing a First Round pick stinks but other than that the Pats really haven't had any impactful punishment. A mill isn't nothing to Kraft and one 4th Round pick isn't diddly. Tom hasn't missed any games, they haven't had any of their SB wins taken away, and their win over us in 2014 still stands as a blowout. If I was a Pats fan I would be happy as hell at this point.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know he needs to quit while he is ahead haha What I mean by that Tommy has got off free of anything. Losing a First Round pick stinks but other than that the Pats really haven't had any impactful punishment. A mill isn't nothing to Kraft and one 4th Round pick isn't diddly. Tom hasn't missed any games, they haven't had any of their SB wins taken away, and their win over us in 2014 still stands as a blowout. If I was a Pats fan I would be happy as hell at this point.

One of the problems is most Pats fans think it was setup of some kind and the Patriots and Brady didn't do anything wrong. Their answer to everything is the whole world is jealous of us and our four super bowl wins.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

One of the problems is most Pats fans think it was setup of some kind and the Patriots and Brady didn't do anything wrong. Their answer to everything is the whole world is jealous of us and our four super bowl wins.

They are just defending Tom, like we do Peyton. If I was a Patriots fan I would just chill out and enjoy my Championships. There is no way any Patriots fan can really think Tom is 100% innocent deepdown but why even sweat it when your Championships still count. 

report on NFL.com currently there is "no chance" the Pats get their picks back.

IMO they lost a pick because of all the controversy they have been involved in over the past 15 years not just the most recent deflategate, on top of that a lot of people were getting quite suspicious how close Goodell and Kraft are so i think Goodell felt like he needed to make a statement. The Pats do attract a weird amount of critisism for cheating, even if it is just because nobody likes them and they always win

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are just defending Tom, like we do Peyton. If I was a Patriots fan I would just chill out and enjoy my Championships. There is no way any Patriots fan can really think Tom is 100% innocent deepdown but why even sweat it when your Championships still count. 

There is no way any Patriots fan can really think Tom is 100% innocent deep down but why even sweat it when your tainted championships still counts. There, I fixed it for you.  :D sorry, couldn't help myself.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no way any Patriots fan can really think Tom is 100% innocent deep down but why even sweat it when your tainted championships still counts. There, I fixed it for you.  :D sorry, couldn't help myself.

Honestly, I think it's actually become irrelevant whether or not they did anything or not at this point. It's all about the process of what has transpired and how things went down that still has Patriots fans upset. The NFL can go on and on about the integrity of the game and all that, but they turn around and lie about everything...not only in this case but about everything. Goodell and the higher ups are just so dishonest about things they know, things they claim not to know, the things they pretend to care about, the backtracking...it's just so hypocritical to hear them go on and on about honesty and the integrity of the game. 

Kraft knows he isn't getting picks back...but he's trying to alleviate the ire of the fan base by showing that he's trying to do all he can...'speaking for the fans' if you will. 

6 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Honestly, I think it's actually become irrelevant whether or not they did anything or not at this point. It's all about the process of what has transpired and how things went down that still has Patriots fans upset. The NFL can go on and on about the integrity of the game and all that, but they turn around and lie about everything...not only in this case but about everything. Goodell and the higher ups are just so dishonest about things they know, things they claim not to know, the things they pretend to care about, the backtracking...it's just so hypocritical to hear them go on and on about honesty and the integrity of the game. 

Kraft knows he isn't getting picks back...but he's trying to alleviate the ire of the fan base by showing that he's trying to do all he can...'speaking for the fans' if you will. 

Right. Because whether or not something shady was going on is completely irrelevant... You do realize that if there wasn't smoke, there wouldn't be a need to investigate a fire?

Just now, Restored said:

Right. Because whether or not something shady was going on is completely irrelevant... You do realize that if there wasn't smoke, there wouldn't be a need to investigate a fire?

My point is that right now, nobody is changing their minds one way or another...so the argument about what they may or may not have done doesn't even matter anymore when people are talking about this whole thing. Some are wondering why Patriots fans are even upset, and I'm trying to tell you why. If you disagree with the validity of those sentiments, that's your right. But even the fiercest of Patriot hater can admit that way the NFL has handled the whole thing was questionable at best. 

14 hours ago, Nadine said:

well, you can't blame a guy for trying.  kind of his job to do that

yep-never hurts to ask. This is such a non-story.

There are instances I ask to get something back in my business and while often it's no there are times I do get something back. If you don't ask there is zero chance :)

5 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

yep-never hurts to ask. This is such a non-story.

There are instances I ask to get something back in my business and while often it's no there are times I do get something back. If you don't ask there is zero chance :)

exactly

32 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

My point is that right now, nobody is changing their minds one way or another...so the argument about what they may or may not have done doesn't even matter anymore when people are talking about this whole thing. Some are wondering why Patriots fans are even upset, and I'm trying to tell you why. If you disagree with the validity of those sentiments, that's your right. But even the fiercest of Patriot hater can admit that way the NFL has handled the whole thing was questionable at best. 

It certainly does matter considering we wouldn't be here discussing this if something shady wasn't going on in that organization that warranted an investigation.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Brady should get the original four game suspension. When a person is ask a direct question of did you cheat? And the answer was I don't think so, it speaks for itself. That is classic deflection IMO. It was not a judgment answer. It was a yes or no cut and dried answer.

Did he really say, "I don't think so?" That's pretty funny, lol. And let me guess, he put on that dumb smile of his as he said it?

22 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Did he really say, "I don't think so?" That's pretty funny, lol. And let me guess, he put on that dumb smile of his as he said it?

That is exactly what Brady said when he was ask if he cheated. I kind of think it is a yes or no answer myself. With all the smoke and mirrors, so called expert testimony, horse dung and about a million opinions I still go with my gut feeling that that one answer was more telling than anything said or reported.

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

You think it is irrelevant whether or not they did something wrong? Typical Patriot fan mind set. If Brady didn't think there was a problem then why didn't he just say no when he was ask if he cheated? Plain and simple. I am sorry that most Patriot fans just turn off their observant switch off when it comes down to the basics.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You think it is irrelevant whether or not they did something wrong? Typical Patriot fan mind set. If Brady didn't think there was a problem then why didn't he just say no when he was ask if he cheated? Plain and simple. I am sorry that most Patriot fans just turn off their observant switch off when it comes down to the basics.

but yet most Pats fans have no problem bringing up Peyton and HGH which Peyton never tested positive for. Also bringing up Peyton's Tennessee incident which happened in 1996 and has already been settled where the woman was paid a ton by the school and Peyton.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I love that people cling to this one line that he said legit 2 days after the accusations and before the story even took off. Lets completely ignore the fact that he testified under oath and instead cling to the one thing he said before anyone even knew what we were dealing with. 

You are misunderstanding what I said. I am not making the claim that it was never relevant whether they did or didn't do something. I'm saying that right now, at this point in the arguments and the court proceedings and all that...it almost doesn't even matter what the truth is anymore. Nobody watching is changing their mind, nobody involved is being 100% honest, and it turned into a clown show where facts have been misrepresented by both sides and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Nobody is arguing the details anymore of what may or may not have happened. It has become all about the process of what happened afterward, the punishments that were handed down, and whether or not they were well justified.

17 hours ago, Nadine said:

well, you can't blame a guy for trying.  kind of his job to do that

i dont blame him one bit for asking.  this does open the door for yet another round of trolling though

any mention of deflate gate from the media or nfl puts the colts and patriot fan bases at each others throats

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

When we boil this whole mess down to its "basics" we have a very simple thing. 

Taking all of the evidence in the light most favorable to NFL, all we are left with is an action by a player which was in violation of rules and that increased, in some folks opinion, his ability to grip a ball. 

Does not sound like a major scandal does it?  Just a player taking an action to get an edge.  

There are some folks who try to make this bigger than it is.   

And yes, the illegal use of sticken, what most folks would understand as a material used to gain an advance in gripping a ball, carries a $8,600 fine.    Again we all need to boil this issue down to the basics, not just one side of the isle.    

41 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

When we boil this whole mess down to its "basics" we have a very simple thing. 

Taking all of the evidence in the light most favorable to NFL, all we are left with is an action by a player which was in violation of rules and that increased, in some folks opinion, his ability to grip a ball. 

Does not sound like a major scandal does it?  Just a player taking an action to get an edge.  

There are some folks who try to make this bigger than it is.   

And yes, the illegal use of sticken, what most folks would understand as a material used to gain an advance in gripping a ball, carries a $8,600 fine.    Again we all need to boil this issue down to the basics, not just one side of the isle.    

It became more of an issue with the refusal of Brady to be forthright in an investigation. It then and only then became more than just a simple fine for $8,600 when Brady destroyed his cell phone in an attempt to tamper with proof or the ability to clear his involvement in this matter. You can omit what you care to but the facts are what they are. It don't take a rocket scientist to know when someone is ask a direct yes or no question and the reply is "I don't know"  puts serious doubt into the truthfulness of the answer. You say folks try to make it bigger than it is? No, Brady himself made it bigger than it is himself by not doing what he could have done to clear this up. He is the one and the only one who had the opportunity to end this when given the chance.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i dont blame him one bit for asking.  this does open the door for yet another round of trolling though

any mention of deflate gate from the media or nfl puts the colts and patriot fan bases at each others throats

:peek:

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

He's lucky I wasn't GM.

Yep, lucky I wasn't GM

"NFL Commissioner csmopar" has nice ring to it.!!