Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Off-Season 2.0

Contracts are basically the same. Little tweak here and there. 

Players Cut:

Andre Johnson - $5M in savings

Trent Cole - $6.25M in savings

Arthur Jones - $2.3M in savings

D'Qwell Jackson - $5.25M in savings

Players Re-Signed: 

AV - 1 year $2M

Boom Herron - 1 year $675K

Jack Doyle - 1 year $675K 

Dwight Lowery - 1 year $885K

Dwayne Allen - 1 year $1.75M

Extensions: 

Andrew Luck signs a 6 year $126M contract extension ($52M guaranteed). Luck is now under contract for 7 years for $142M. 

Cap Space going into FA: $32M

Alex Mack, C - 5 year $45M ($19M guaranteed) ($8M cap hit in 2016)

Sean Smith, CB - 3 year $15M ($7M guaranteed) ($7M cap hit in 2016)

Bruce Irvin, EDGE - 4 year $24M ($12M guaranteed) ($5.5M cap hit in 2016)

That leaves the Colts ~$11M to roll over to next season and to sign draft picks. 

Draft (1st 3 rounds): 

Round 1 Pick 18: The Colts select Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame.

Jaylon Smith is a top-10 talent who drops to 18 after tearing his ACL in the Fiesta Bowl. There' no guarantee that Smith will be able to play this season, but that's the only reason he'd be available at 18 to begin with. This is probably going to be the first time for a long time the Colts are in position to grab an elite draft prospect. 

Round 2 pick 49: Noah Spence, EDGE, Eastern Kentucky. Spence could go anywhere from the middle of the first to the end of the third, I'm hoping that his off the field history allows for him to fall into our mitts at 49. At this point, Noah Spence is my 2nd ranked EDGE rusher in the draft class. His athleticism make him a valuable 3rd down player this season and starter in 2017. 

Round 3 pick 81: Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

Last mock I had Wright projected in the 2nd round, but then I remembered how predictable the NFL is. Wright doesn't fit the prototypical mold of an ILB, he doesn't have the right build. But he plays with a high motor and good awareness, allowing him to rack up tackles in the middle. Wright can battle it out in training camp against Irving and Moore for one of the starting ILB spots. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Round 3 pick 81: Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

Last mock I had Wright projected in the 2nd round, but then I remembered how predictable the NFL is. Wright doesn't fit the prototypical mold of an ILB, he doesn't have the right build. But he plays with a high motor and good awareness, allowing him to rack up tackles in the middle. Wright can battle it out in training camp against Irving and Moore for one of the starting ILB spots.

I think you have Scooby in the right spot here. 2nd might have been a little high for him, but I think the guy could come in and play right away at ILB. From the ole' eye test, he plays very quick and can get to ball carriers, especially RB's, in a hurry. He's very fundementally sound. Good tackler, good recognition - very rarely out of position, and as you said - he gives everything he has at all times. His injuries from last year knee/foot might shy teams away from him early on, especially if he doesn't test well at the combine, but I think he would be an excellent fit here inside. Now, if he gets close to full health before the combine, I think he's going to surprise people with his numbers. He's more athletic than I think people - not you - give him credit for. If that happens, I can see him going between the middle of round 2 and 3.

We get those 3 picks and this defense just took a HUGE turn....

I'd like to see your breakdown on Noah Spence.  He's a guy I've wanted to get to watching film on, just haven't had time.  I also like that you've moved Scoobs down to the 3rd round.  I think that's a better projection on him.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of us taking Jaylon Smith if he's tehre.  I'd like to see an edge rusher in the 1st, but there's not anyone I'm particularly excited about that would be available at 18.

47 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd like to see your breakdown on Noah Spence.  He's a guy I've wanted to get to watching film on, just haven't had time.  I also like that you've moved Scoobs down to the 3rd round.  I think that's a better projection on him.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of us taking Jaylon Smith if he's tehre.  I'd like to see an edge rusher in the 1st, but there's not anyone I'm particularly excited about that would be available at 18.

I think the best edge rushers are Spence and Lawson. One has character issues the other hss health issues. I would take Spence.

i am interested in Fackell they say he can do it all cover rush play the run. Pair him and Spence as our OLB's we might have something. I like Martinez at ILB too 

I like every single move you made.  However, do you really think we would be able to get Allen and Lowery to come back that cheap?  I am not saying either will be breaking the bank (or really affect the overall cap in the grand scheme), but seems cheap for each, especially Allen, which I think will be targeted by at least Arizona.  Also, the contracts for Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith to be a little on the low side, in my opinion.  I know you have thought this out, just curious what the thinking behind it was.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Mack is over paid but I understand that over paying is the only way to get him

2. 2nd round is exactly where I like Spence. 1st round is too high for a guy with his red flags.

3. Personally, I think the Colts cut Irving. Too injury prone and when he was healthy they didn't play him. Moore, Smith, Freeman, and Wright is good enough depth.

4. I think you have the right round for Wright. He doesn't have the physical attributes of the other ILB prospects in his class.

Looks good. Not unrealistic and fixes most of our glaring issues. Although, pretty sure this is just me, but I wouldn't cut AJ or DQ. I like DQs' leadership on the field, and I feel that AJ brings that veteran presence in the locker room like Wayne did. 

Smith and Spence would be amazing. They are two of my favorites in the draft. I feel like Spence won't be there at 49 after the combine. If you roll the dice on Smith, you have to nail the second round pick imo. That's why I wouldn't be mad at trading up from 49 to ensure you get a guy like Spence.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I guess that's obvious. I would expect Arizona to be eager to grab him. 

That would be my prediction too Supe. If we don't re-sign him I would guarantee Arizona gets him. And I think he'll get at least something like 4 years, 16 million. Probably more like 4/20

Jaylon tore his ACL and MCL, and I don't believe he will play next season, but I still agree. He should be there at 18 and is worth the wait. Love the other picks, especially Scooby. I also would like to sign Mack. He is 30, and did not have a good year, but it has got to be hard after awhile to play for a losing team. He would bring

stability to the line. Great draft!

If the players are still available in the draft, I'd love for this to happen. I'm no expert on contracts, but I like this scenario even if we couldn't afford to add one of the FAs, in which case, I'd vote Irvin off the island.

Of course, that would bring up the quandary of picking an injured edge rusher in the 1st without grabbing one in FA. I think it's worth it for a game changer like Smith, especially if we get Spence in the 2nd. 

I have doubts about any of those 3 prospects actually being available when we pick, but if they are there, Grigs would be smart to grab them up. 

I still think we need help at RG, but I doubt one would be BPA over the guys in your mock. I could live with the idea of signing Mack at Center and looking for a 4th round O-Lineman to compete with Thornton for the RG spot or provide depth at OT. 

Add a late-round RB and some UDFAs and Indy looks better than we thought we were coming into last season. 

Although this is not a full mock I do think it represents a lot of what the Colts will invest in based on the problems from this season and comments from Monachino.  I firmly believe we are going to make some strong investments in that front 7 on defense.  Pagano and company are going to make sure we can get to the QB in 2016

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

That would be my prediction too Supe. If we don't re-sign him I would guarantee Arizona gets him. And I think he'll get at least something like 4 years, 16 million. Probably more like 4/20

Or someone else. He may not have a great market, but he can do better than one year, $1.75m.

Vontae Mack is #1.

Based on MY studies, i would rate the Scott Extra Soft as my 2nd rated Edge playa!

You don't have to pay a lot for the best toilet paper

Sizing issues aside, do you think you have to spend a lot for high quality toilet paper? Think again.

Consumer Reports  says the best toilet paper in America is a Wal-Mart exclusive -- White Cloud 3-ply Ultra Soft and Thick. At 25 cents per 100 sheets, White Cloud got a high score of 77 based on softness, strength, disintegration and tearing ease.

In distant second place, Nice Premium Ultra (Walgreens) got a score of 57 and costs 33 cents per 100 sheets.

In third place, Scott Extra Soft scored 53 and costs 20 cents per 100 sheets.

13 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Vontae Mack is #1.

Based on MY studies, i would rate the Scott Extra Soft as my 2nd rated Edge playa!

You don't have to pay a lot for the best toilet paper

Sizing issues aside, do you think you have to spend a lot for high quality toilet paper? Think again.

Consumer Reports  says the best toilet paper in America is a Wal-Mart exclusive -- White Cloud 3-ply Ultra Soft and Thick. At 25 cents per 100 sheets, White Cloud got a high score of 77 based on softness, strength, disintegration and tearing ease.

In distant second place, Nice Premium Ultra (Walgreens) got a score of 57 and costs 33 cents per 100 sheets.

In third place, Scott Extra Soft scored 53 and costs 20 cents per 100 sheets.

I do not agree with drafting an injured player in the first.  With the addition of the Ravens Defensive Coach, as much as I would love to go O-Line here, I believe defense in the First and Third. 2nd and Forth go offense.

If Robert Nkemdiche, Jonathan Bullard or Emmanuel Ogbah is available, then that should be our pick in the first.  In the second, I would go with Spriggs (ROT), Whitehair (OG), Turner (OG).  The Third Round would be one of the following; Murphy (ROT), Tretola (OG), Garnett (OG) or Stryker (OLB).  The Forth Round we need to get a ball hawk or play maker:  Deon Bush (FS) or Braxton Miller (Slot WR) Fifth Round: Roberto Aguayo (K) 6th Round: Kamalei Correa (OLB)

FA: Berry (S)

FA Miller (RB)

So I watched more tape of Wright and I actually like him. What I love about his game is that unlike a lot of other LBs, he doesn't stand around after the snap and wait for something to happen and then react to it.

Instead he reads the play beforehand and after the snap he's already moving towards where the play is. He clearly makes up for his lack of athleticism by doing that and being a good tackler.

Wouldnt be mad if we took him round 2 or 3.

I would not go for Mack--Browns have a new coach, and he may see benefit in seeing out his contract.  2 yrs ago everyone here was calling on Grigson to go for him--he then broke his leg, and missed a whole season.  Last season he wasn't that great, and as he ages, he won't get any better.  If we really have to target a Center in FA, it would have to be either Wisniewski or Jones.  I'd prefer to get either Kelly or Martin in the 2nd round of the draft