Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Bill O'Brien the next coach to be fired?

ReMeDy

4 minutes ago, Michigan_Colts_Fan said:

How many quaterbacks is this now who start off well playing for O'Brien and then inexplicably fall apart?  It started with Hackenberg at Penn State and has continued with the Texans.  Mallett and Hoyer now this year plus possibly someone last year.  Something is odd with how this keeps happening.

fitzpatrick played well for the texans last year

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

fitzpatrick played well for the texans last year

Yes he did.  But I think O'Brien's ego may be getting in the way here.  He seems to think he can take any quarterback and be successful which can be true but to a point.  Eventually the quarterback's ceiling gets hit and sometimes, like today, it gets hit hard.

You can say it is not O'Brien's fault he does not have a QB, since the GM is ultimately responsible, but they could have taken Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr two years ago. Imagine how good they could be with either of those two guys. The defense has not looked particularly good today, but it has to be hard to play when your QB gives up 5 TO's, and some of them were just plain terrible, The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Interceptions were, "what were you thinking" TO's. On the second Interception, they would have at least had a FG. You just cannot throw that ball. The third one was after they stopped them, 2 minutes to go and ball  on the forty. Both of those they were down by only 13-0, and could have re-energized them. Terrible game, and where they are picking this year, a QB is going to be a developmental prospect most likely.

I have to think Houston's owner, who was so patient with Kubiak will give O'Brien more time. As far as we are concerned, I am glad they don't have a QB. It is a waste of JJ Watt's talents.

Edited by loudnproudcolt
missed a word

51 minutes ago, Michigan_Colts_Fan said:

How many quaterbacks is this now who start off well playing for O'Brien and then inexplicably fall apart?  It started with Hackenberg at Penn State and has continued with the Texans.  Mallett and Hoyer now this year plus possibly someone last year.  Something is odd with how this keeps happening.

I don't see what's odd about it.  The players aren't that good.

59 minutes ago, Michigan_Colts_Fan said:

Hackenberg didn't fall apart until AFTER O'Brien left Penn State.     He fell apart under the current PSU coaching staff.     Not O'Brien's fault.

As for the rest,  they're just not all that good.   You give opponents enough film to figure out what a QB can and CAN'T  do and their play call regress.      That's the difference between all those other guys you listed and the really good QB's who can do more no matter what.

O'Brien is NOT going to get fired,  even after today.

And if he somehow DOES lose his job, it's a bad sign for Houston's management.

The guy has done a good job in his two seasons,  neither of which he had a QB.    Try winning in the NFL without  a quarterback.     Pretty darn hard to do.

52 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

You can say it is not O'Brien's fault he does not have a QB, since the GM is ultimately responsible, but they could have taken Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr two years ago. Imagine how good they could be with either of those two guys. The defense has not looked particularly good today, but it has to be hard to play when your QB gives up 5 TO's, and some of them were just plain terrible, The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Interceptions were, "what were you thinking" TO's. On the second Interception, they would have at least had a FG. You just cannot throw that ball. The third one was after they stopped them, 2 minutes to go and ball  on the forty. Both of those they were down by only 13-0, and could have re-energized them. Terrible game, and where they are picking this year, a QB is going to be a developmental prospect most likely.

I have to think Houston's owner, who was so patient with Kubiak will give O'Brien more time. As far as we are concerned, I am glad they don't have a QB. It is a waste of JJ Watt's talents.

I do think Bridgewater would have done well in Obriens system. Too late now

14 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Tough loss today. KC right now is on fire. As bad as Hoyer played that KC defense is legit. Great job taking the division.

Couldn't help yourself ... always have to take a shot or try to get a discreet trolling comment in don't you?

Just now, esmort said:

Couldn't help yourself ... always have to take a shot or try to get a discreet trolling comment in don't you?

Oh man. The guys team just lost 30-0. Telling him nice job on the division was supposed to be consoling on a nice season given the way it started the first few weeks but of course you took it as a slight.

4 minutes ago, amfootball said:

Oh man. The guys team just lost 30-0. Telling him nice job on the division was supposed to be consoling on a nice season given the way it started the first few weeks but of course you took it as a slight.

Because you frequently take veiled shots or back handed compliments that stir the pot .... you could have left the division part off since you are on a Colts forum.

1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think he should be.  I personally think the Texans can find someone better.  Turnovers obviously cost them the game today.  No one did great for the Chiefs(offensively).  Just bad turnovers.

And what's crazy is they were playing at home. No excuses.

He's more likely to get an extension than be fired.  No one was beating that defense with Hoyer at QB and Alfred Blue as the featured back.  Just like we were never beating Pitt with Hasselbeck or the overall talent on our team when we played earlier this season.  It was actually closer than we would have been in that game I bet. 

He certainly had a bad game.  The abomination that was Brian Hoyer went WAY too far into the game.  They single-handedly embarrassed the AFC-South, themselves, the great city of Houston, and football fans in general.  I mean are you kidding, 4 INT's!!!!!  a fumble, bad coaching and you let a QB who looks like he could't beat the Browns on this night stagnate into damnation. However, O'Brien isn't going anywhere.  He got the lowly Texans to the playoffs, had two or three 2nd to 3rd string QB's given to him by Rick Smith, gave us some laughs on hard knocks, and beat the Colts at LOS, something no other coach there could do.  Get used to seeing the butt-chin for years to come!!!

I don't see him getting the axe just yet. I think he's a mediocre coach who will eventually be fired, but Houston did overachieve this year, and they deserve a bit of credit for that. 

The Colts would have got slaughtered today too by this Chiefs team. This was a revenge game for the Chiefs screwing around in the playoffs a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I don't see him getting the axe just yet. I think he's a mediocre coach who will eventually be fired, but Houston did overachieve this year, and they deserve a bit of credit for that. 

The Colts would have got slaughtered today too by this Chiefs team. This was a revenge game for the Chiefs screwing around in the playoffs a few years ago. 

Give us some credit. We could have put up 3 points.

47 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

He certainly had a bad game.  The abomination that was Brian Hoyer went WAY too far into the game.  They single-handedly embarrassed the AFC-South, themselves, the great city of Houston, and football fans in general.  I mean are you kidding, 4 INT's!!!!!  a fumble, bad coaching and you let a QB who looks like he could't beat the Browns on this night stagnate into damnation. However, O'Brien isn't going anywhere.  He got the lowly Texans to the playoffs, had two or three 2nd to 3rd string QB's given to him by Rick Smith, gave us some laughs on hard knocks, and beat the Colts at LOS, something no other coach there could do.  Get used to seeing the butt-chin for years to come!!!

I agree with you, but I will say I thought they should have gone to Weeden at halftime.  That's the one massive issue he will have to explain to his owner.  Hoyer couldn't cope.  Weedon was 1-0 and played well against the Colts which won them the division.  Why wouldn't you give him a shot while it was still in reach?