Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blowing the chance to get a good draft pick

James

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah how dare a fan of a team want their team to win and try to make the playoffs...

Did it ever occur to you that the "people like you" (in my post) could refer to people who can't seem to understand accept other people's perspective and simply choose to reply with a "smh" (which he did). 

I wasnt "smh" at him rooting for the Colts in these last two games. He can do what he wants as a fan. I can definitely see why fans (probably him) would want the Colts to win the last ganes. But his initial "smh" doesn't really offer anything other than him being provocative and indicating an ignorance. He's welcome to prove me wrong by constructing a proper argument.

To James's defense, I totally understand where he's coming from. I said weeks ago that we just need to sit Luck, regroup, get a good draft pick and get ready for next year. To expect a 40 year that hasn't finished the last 4 games to get us deep into the playoffs is unrealistic. To expect our franchise QB who hasn't played in months to save our season is just as asinine. It does NOT make me any less of a fan then anyone on here for saying this. A little respect goes a long way 

16 minutes ago, James said:

I like his ability, but I'm not sure I can overlook the red flags.

That's the most sense you have made all day. Dudes booted from OSU for failed drug tests etc then goes to E. Ky gets arrested on alcohol related charges no thank you. 

The draft is about more than where you pick just ask the Browns or the Pats.  In fact it seems it's the same teams year after year in the top of the draft. 

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

In fact it seems it's the same teams year after year in the top of the draft. 

maybe true for the top, but only the patriots have had continued success without having high picks at some point.

the ravens fell apart this year and they badly need to get younger

Typical for the Colts..Give us fans a glimmer of hope but in the end..it all for nothing. I like to believe players are playing good enough so they won't be out of a job next season but not good enough to handle the big boys. I would much rather have the top 15 pick in the draft. This team need playmakers.

26 minutes ago, akcolt said:

That's the most sense you have made all day. Dudes booted from OSU for failed drug tests etc then goes to E. Ky gets arrested on alcohol related charges no thank you. 

The draft is about more than where you pick just ask the Browns or the Pats.  In fact it seems it's the same teams year after year in the top of the draft. 

Yeah, those teams don't have quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I guess I was the only person rooting for the colts to lose back in 2011.  Having RG3 would be so awesome.

No you weren't. I was one of those that led the chant to "suck for Luck".

A true fan, a life long fan, wants what's best for their team for their future.

Not a meaningless self gratification of a temporary high by winning a meaningless game that will hurt the team's future draft order, especially when a franchise qb is at stake.

Now I don't think tanking the last 2 games matter much this season. But like James said a few slots might make a difference. Also we are not eliminated yet so there still is a chance, small as it is that we make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are not much of a Colt fan I take it? A true fan would never want their team to lose no matter.

Maybe he's like me and doesn't want to see his team get embarrassed in the playoffs. Why do u want Andrew luck behind an offensive line that has gotten all 3 of our QB's hurt?!? This team needs a new coach, a new secondary, ,new inside linebackers a, new o line and GM. I was hoping we would lose to. Chuck is just delaying the inevitable. Why would we risk the health of luck when it's the end of the season, what luck has is serious, he doesn't need to aggravate that injury and risk anything more serious. We bring him back when we are able to protect him!

2 hours ago, James said:

Likewise. Smh at people like you.

Smh at people like me? People like me who like to see there team win and stay in possible playoff standings when we would be hopeful with luck coming back in that time. Listen if you think losing and getting better draft picks will help the team so much then go be a Cleveland fan

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we are already there

Not really, but whatever. Still, we haven't been picking with mid draft picks.

Neither have the Patriots, for instance. They are not mediocre. The Seahawks aren't mediocre. Etc. Where you pick in the draft has very little to do with how well your team performs.

And I bet you know this. You're just being melodramatic. 

As a fan, I've been rooting for them to lose after the first couple weeks Matt was hurt and struggling and the playoffs seemed unreachable for the soft teddy bears on our team. Imagine what next year could be like if we got our coaching/front office fixed and we got rid of the player(s) Toler that were hurting the entire team and replaced them with a real playmaker from the draft. We could easily rise back to being a serious Super Bowl contender with that top-10 draft pick player.

However, in the real world of the NFL, there is no way that could happen, especially with Chuck and Grigs fighting every second for their jobs. They're gonna go to every last possible option to save their jobs.

2 hours ago, James said:

Given our situation (injuries and not winning the division - no, we aren't. Deal with it), I would have very much liked to rest a lot of starters on both D and O. That will make our performances worse, without forfeiting.

The draft is no sure thing, but I like to have a better chance to get an impact player.  Thinking of the future this makes sense, also considering our injuries.

I can guarantee there are some players in that locker room that did not want to stew over a 5 game losing streak to finish the season all off season long, especially if they were pulled from the lineup to make it happen.  And there was still the slightest sliver of hope to win the AFC South as a possibility.  No, this win today was very good therapy for many of our players. No matter what happens from here, that 3 game losing streak is long put behind now and draft position isn't quite as important as breaking the losing streak, IMO.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure how much I agree with the OP, but I don't want to see the Colts make the playoffs not do they deserve to go. There's going to be a 10-6 team sitting at home while our division drags a mess of a team to the playoffs.

OTOH, Houston is hot and on a roll with the potential to go 9 - 7.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

we are already there

We are there......  this year.       THIS year.

Where were we last year?        Do I need to refresh your memory?

Just because we're mediocre THIS year,  doesn't mean we'll be mediocre NEXT year.

We should've been mediocre in 2012,   how did that turn out...........

That's the beauty of sports......        Enjoy it!      Better days ahead!       :thmup:

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really, but whatever.

i have to disagree with this part.  how are we any better than mediocre right now?  we have like one quality win this season against denver.  it was later revealed that peyton was pretty banged up and probably shouldnt have played.

even when we had luck, and pretty much everyone healthy we lost to the jets and bills

i am not against tanking when we are not a contender and it gives us a better chance to improve 

2 hours ago, James said:

Well, that's quite obvious now, isnt it? I certainly know it's not gonna happen with these people in charge. I'll still vent about it though, because I dont like what I'm seeing. In fact I'm really angry.

I know what I'm advocating wont happen (it didn't), but to me that doesn't make a post senseless. This was (kinda still is) my naive hope, but that's what a forum is for. Not every perspective has to be rational or realistic.

It's stupid crap like this line of thinking that leads to crap like the whole suck for luck conspiracy theory. It's stupid stupid stupid.

What you're talking about is the difference right now between a 12th and 15th place draft pick....not like it's a number 1. 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

We're probably picking 16-19.

Nah, there several teams with better records that won't make the playoffs. Top 15 is still highly likely. They said at the beginning of the game if we lost out, we'd have as high as the 10th....

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i have to disagree with this part.  how are we any better than mediocre right now?  we have like one quality win this season against denver.  it was later revealed that peyton was pretty banged up and probably shouldnt have played.

even when we had luck, and pretty much everyone healthy we lost to the jets and bills

i am not against tanking when we are not a contender and it gives us a better chance to improve 

Andrew Luck missed 8 games this season. So far. Pep Hamilton was terrible. Luck played poorly the first part of the year. The offense, which basically just needs a couple of linemen -- not that I'm discounting the need to improve the line -- vastly underperformed this season.

Calling the Colts with a healthy Luck mediocre makes zero sense.

What makes less sense is acting like any one rookie would make the so-called mediocre Colts a contender. 

I can rationalize the desire to tank when there's a hotshot QB coming out, and you need one. I'm still against it, but at least it makes sense in that case. It would even make sense if the team were mathematically eliminated before this week (with the Texans win, we're basically out). Acting like the 8th best player in the draft is going to be so significantly different for us than the 16th player in the draft is just crazy talk. And even if that were the case, then move up from 16 to 8, and get the guy you want, if he's that good and that important.

3 hours ago, James said:

outrageously bad 2 - 4 in the AFC South.

It's takes a lot more to create a losing culture/mentality imo. Two games are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

3 hours ago, James said:

Two not so much.  but we had already lost 3 consecutively, those next 2 would make it Five to end the year and think about all offseason.  That is a bitter pill to suck on all winter.

We would also  be an outrageously bad 2 - 4 in the AFC South.

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nah, there several teams with better records that won't make the playoffs. Top 15 is still highly likely. They said at the beginning of the game if we lost out, we'd have as high as the 10th....

I think you got fed some very bad info.    NFL.com had a story this week about teams most likely to be in the top-10.    The Colts were NOT on that list.

Here's an updated story as of about 5:25p West Coast time,  8:25p Indy time.     At this point,  they have us projected to pick 17th.      I don't think there are enough teams to push us into the top-15.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572264/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-nos-1120

Hey, I'd love to be wrong.....    but I think the math says I'm right....

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you got fed some very bad info.    NFL.com had a story this week about teams most likely to be in the top-10.    The Colts were NOT on that list.

Here's an updated story as of about 5:25p West Coast time,  8:25p Indy time.     At this point,  they have us projected to pick 17th.      I don't think there are enough teams to push us into the top-15.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572264/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-nos-1120

Based on that article, it might be possible for a top 15 pick depending on what happens next week.  

On a side note that article believes that OT is the top need?  I'm not saying that a better option at OT wouldn't help, but I can think of more pressing needs.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's possible, I was listening to it on the pre game as I was cooking lunch so I may have misunderstood it as well. But my point is that tanking to gain 2 or 3 spots in the middle of the round is beyond stupid

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OTOH, Houston is hot and on a roll with the potential to go 9 - 7.

Overall, they're not good though. They're just the best team in a terrible division. Same can be said for the Redskins but their QB is playing outstanding.

It'll be a travesty if the Steelers make it to 10-6 and sit home while the Texans make it in.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Overall, they're not good though. They're just the best team in a terrible division. Same can be said for the Redskins but their QB is playing outstanding.

It'll be a travesty if the Steelers make it to 10-6 and sit home while the Texans make it in.

More melodrama.

Steelers won't be the first team to miss the playoffs while a division winner with a worse record goes. That's why the first goal is to win your division. They couldn't even beat the Ravens with Ryan Mallett.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

More melodrama.

Steelers won't be the first team to miss the playoffs while a division winner with a worse record goes. That's why the first goal is to win your division. They couldn't even beat the Ravens with Ryan Mallett.

I know. It happens every year, which is why the NFL will likely modify the playoff requirements in the near future.

I know anything can happen(7-9 Rams upsetting the defending Saints a few years ago) but does anyone here really wanna see this team in the playoffs?

Tanking might be a bit extreme, but I'm not inclined to sit here and cheer for the team beating a garbage Dolphins team while holding out hope that a miracle will happen and we'll somehow end up in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We are going to beat Tennessee too. So we will be 8-8. There are currently 14 teams that can finish no better than 7-9. The Rams Falcons Bills and Raiders can all also finish 8-8 with a W or Ł next week. That should put us right about 17 as you said.