Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seriously, why haven't we signed a backup QB yet?.....

Chucklez

Why? Why? Why?

What if Matt H. goes down as well? We need the backup's backup to be as prepared as possible...

I know a lot of people don't give us a hope in hell's chance of winning anything if Matt H. goes down too and those people are probably right.... But come on, you need to be as prepared as possible... We could *conceivably* win 1 or 2 of the next 5 even if Matt H. goes down, and by that I do mean a low chance. But you gotta at least give yourself a chance....

I find it comical that no one is giving Luck a chance to be available at the early part of the time frame which is the two week mark.

Laceration of the kidney is such a vague diagnosis, It could actually be a minor scratch on the kidney that happened to show a dark spot on the medical test which could be healed in as little as a week, the simple fact is we do not know, so don't panic about a backup to the backup, Luck could very well be playing in two weeks.

I find it comical that no one is giving Luck a chance to be available at the early part of the time frame which is the two week mark.

Laceration of the kidney is such a vague diagnosis, It could actually be a minor scratch on the kidney that happened to show a dark spot on the medical test which could be healed in as little as a week, the simple fact is we do not know, so don't panic about a backup to the backup, Luck could very well be playing in two weeks.

The Colts have come out and said they realistically expect Luck to miss a month (despite originally reporting 2-6 weeks).  I think that's why everyone is assuming that the possible return in 2 weeks is off the table.

The Colts have come out and said they realistically expect Luck to miss a month (despite originally reporting 2-6 weeks).  I think that's why everyone is assuming that the possible return in 2 weeks is off the table.

I'm pretty sure that that report wasn't direct from the Colts, and it was someone on twitter with a "source".

Let's face it, if Hasselbeck goes down, the hopes of going to the playoffs is over. The 3rd string qb with a couple of weeks in the system isn't going to help, no matter who it is.

I'm afraid you're right, jvan1973. Unless we sign a stellar backup (don't really know of any at this point) to back up our back up, we might be looking at next year to making a run. (assuming MH would get hurt) But, hey, let's be optimistic. MH goes 5-2. Win the division @ 9-7and who knows from there. Best case, I think.

I'm pretty sure that that report wasn't direct from the Colts, and it was someone on twitter with a "source".

Well yeah, that's true.  But the fact it's paired with a partial abdominal tear, 2 weeks does seem awfully aggressive - though I'm no doctor.  I suppose it's not out of the question that he could come back in 2 weeks.  I remember Ahmad Brooks had a lacerated kidney and he was expected to miss 2 weeks and ended up missing 5.  The extent of hte injury is the question, I agree.  We just can't know until they disclose it.

Its the bye week. No need to till Monday

They still have til Monday to sign somebody. Remember its a bye week right now.

Exactly... It's the bye week.... time for whoever comes in to actually read the playbook before he is thrust into some practices...

Here are the games that are most critical for the Colts going forward from here ...

1. Atlanta

2. Pittsburgh

3. Miami

These are all on the road. If the Colts can grab Pittsburgh without BR (hoping he's still out), beat Tannehill with the D, and succumb to only Atlanta, that's 2-1. Win against Tampa here, beat the Jags on the road, win the Texans here, and maybe lose Titans here. That's an end game of 9-7 or 10-6. It's still feasible, but not probable. Heck, 8-8 wins the AFC South in my mind.

Any other thoughts here?

Why? Why? Why?

What if Matt H. goes down as well? We need the backup's backup to be as prepared as possible...

I know a lot of people don't give us a hope in hell's chance of winning anything if Matt H. goes down too and those people are probably right.... But come on, you need to be as prepared as possible... We could *conceivably* win 1 or 2 of the next 5 even if Matt H. goes down, and by that I do mean a low chance. But you gotta at least give yourself a chance....

Chill pill!  You have to come to terms with a guy, and they do have some leverage.

Why? Why? Why?

Who exactly do you want them to sign?  Do tell if you know of a good serviceable QB that is still available?

this is the time to get someone in and FAST, i agree with you !!   They need to learn the playbook and you don't want that happening at the last minute.  Especially knowing that Hasselbeck could get hurt with the nasty defense that Atlanta has (at least they have some players that could do damage during pass rush plays). Beasley and Jackson, and durant worrilow and schofield (dont know if i got all their names spelled right)

I think Jason Campbell is still in play, even though he has already turned down 4 other teams this year. Funny thing is, Brady Quinn would be on a plane in seconds if called. I wish Quinn was a better QB than he was, but he is better than our PS guys, imo

Apparently Campbell turned us down "in favor of chiling".  Because that's what millionaires do, right?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/12/jason-campbell-turns-down-colts-offer-in-favor-of-chilling/#content

I very much doubt it, and am on record concerning it now.  I hope I am wrong, but near certain I am not.

I really feel you are missing the the seriousness of Luck's 2 injuries, notably the kidney laceration.  But ignoring that for this arguments sake, Luck is reported to also have a partial tear of an abdominal muscle, to go along with his kidney laceration. As for treatment and return, the Colts will let the doctors handle it also, use MH until Luck is fully healthy on both issues.

"We're going to keep listening to the doctors and evaluating his progress on a week-by-week basis. We've got all the confidence in the world in Matt Hasselbeck, and we're not going to put Andrew back out there until he's healed and ready to go."  - Chuck Pagano

So disregarding everything about the Kidney, there's still that partial abdominal muscle tear you conveniently forgot to address

"A more severe injury of an abdominal muscle is a partial tear (second degree). Depending on the amount of fibers torn, this type of injury may be quite debilitating for the athlete. The athlete may experience sudden abdominal pain, marked tenderness, localized swelling, and discoloration. Any and all movements of the athlete may be painful with the athlete guarded in his/her movements."

"A 1st degree strain will probably require 3 weeks of rest, whereas recovery time increases to 4-6 weeks for a 2nd degree strain. A 3rd degree strain will take at least 3 months to recover from and may even require surgery to repair the damaged muscle."

The risk of returning an athlete too soon after a muscle strain is re-injury, which may ultimately result in a worse outlook than the one associated with the original injury. Same thing to an even greater degree to the Kidney laceration, but this one has a danger component to it (internal bleeding)It is reported.

I find it comical that a few members here scream at the GM for not 'protecting 12' on one hand and on the other minimize the medical condition of Luck and feel he'll return even quicker than he did from his 'bruised shoulder'. It seems to appear they would believe his injuries were of lesser degree than a shoulder bruise and should throw him back into the games not fully healed from two somewhat serious ailments, risking not only increased damage to the abdominal muscle and kidney, but also pose a career risk and in the worst case, a potentially life threatening situation.

I hope I am wrong, and Luck is full practice next week (He won't be) ready at week 2 for Atlanta (as one or two predict, but no.).  My position is a good number of you will be extremely disappointed at the amount of time it will eventually take for him to heal up from both of these injuries, and that the medical staff will not risk or clear him until both are healed enough to carry no extra risk should injury reoccur. I am cognizant on just how long that process may take.

As far as the twitter report about Luck being out a month or longer, someone from the League informed Ed Werder of ESPN that information.  The league doesn't typically have that kind of info, nor reason to want or need to get that.  It just needs to know Lucks injuries, and whether he participated in planned practices, was limited, or did not practice.  That's all they want or care about.  Sou how/why would they have the information concerning this unless the Colts themselves let the league in on the situation?  Or is there something good for the league to fabricate such a story, and the Colts not coming out to deny it?  I can't see Ed Werder making this up and placing his own credibility on the line.  He is not a typical blog hack.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/werder_ed/

a couple of medical reference sites for you-

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/10/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-out-injury-kidney-abdominal-tear

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/16456350/side-strain-internal-oblique-muscle-strain-phy.htm

http://www.sportsmd.com/abdominal-injuries/abdominal-strain/

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/back/side_strain_full.php

Believe what you want, but if it doesn't go your way and you feel like venting about it, you'll get no sympathy from me.

Apparently Campbell turned us down "in favor of chiling".  Because that's what millionaires do, right?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/12/jason-campbell-turns-down-colts-offer-in-favor-of-chilling/#content

I had heard that last night on NFL Sirius XM radio, but couldn't find concrete confirmation.  my latest info was him turning down the Cowboys after Romo went down. Nice find.

I very much doubt it, and am on record concerning it now.  I hope I am wrong, but near certain I am not.

I really feel you are missing the the seriousness of Luck's 2 injuries, notably the kidney laceration.  But ignoring that for this arguments sake, Luck is reported to also have a partial tear of an abdominal muscle, to go along with his kidney laceration. As for treatment and return, the Colts will let the doctors handle it also, use MH until Luck is fully healthy on both issues.

"We're going to keep listening to the doctors and evaluating his progress on a week-by-week basis. We've got all the confidence in the world in Matt Hasselbeck, and we're not going to put Andrew back out there until he's healed and ready to go."  - Chuck Pagano

So disregarding everything about the Kidney, there's still that partial abdominal muscle tear you conveniently forgot to address

"A more severe injury of an abdominal muscle is a partial tear (second degree). Depending on the amount of fibers torn, this type of injury may be quite debilitating for the athlete. The athlete may experience sudden abdominal pain, marked tenderness, localized swelling, and discoloration. Any and all movements of the athlete may be painful with the athlete guarded in his/her movements."

"A 1st degree strain will probably require 3 weeks of rest, whereas recovery time increases to 4-6 weeks for a 2nd degree strain. A 3rd degree strain will take at least 3 months to recover from and may even require surgery to repair the damaged muscle."

The risk of returning an athlete too soon after a muscle strain is re-injury, which may ultimately result in a worse outlook than the one associated with the original injury. Same thing to an even greater degree to the Kidney laceration, but this one has a danger component to it (internal bleeding)It is reported.

I find it comical that a few members here scream at the GM for not 'protecting 12' on one hand and on the other minimize the medical condition of Luck and feel he'll return even quicker than he did from his 'bruised shoulder'. It seems to appear they would believe his injuries were of lesser degree than a shoulder bruise and should throw him back into the games not fully healed from two somewhat serious ailments, risking not only increased damage to the abdominal muscle and kidney, but also pose a career risk and in the worst case, a potentially life threatening situation.

I hope I am wrong, and luck is full practice next week ready at week 2 for Atlanta (as one or two predict).  But my position is a lot of you will be extremely disappointed at the amount of time it will eventually take for him to heal up from both of these injuries, and that the medical staff will not risk or clear him until both are healed enough to carry no extra risk should injury reoccur. I am cognizant on just how long that may take.

As far as the twitter report about Luck being out a month or longer, someone from the League informed Ed Werder of ESPN that information.  The league doesn't typically have that kind of info, nor reason to want or need to get that.  It just needs to know Lucks injuries, and whether he participated in planned practices, was limited, or did not practice.  That's all they want or care about.  Sou how/why would they have the information concerning this unless the Colts themselves let the league in on the situation?  Or is there something good for the league to fabricate such a story, and the Colts not coming out to deny it?  I can't see Ed Werder making this up and placing his own credibility on the line.  He is not a typical blog hack.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/werder_ed/

a couple of medical reference sites for you-

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/10/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-out-injury-kidney-abdominal-tear

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/16456350/side-strain-internal-oblique-muscle-strain-phy.htm

http://www.sportsmd.com/abdominal-injuries/abdominal-strain/

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/back/side_strain_full.php

Believe what you want, but if it doesn't go your way and you feel like venting about it, you'll get no sympathy from me.

I thought I already told you..... stop trying to ruin my optimism with your logic.