Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yeah we get all excited about chud.....

needanoline63

One game guys.  If the season turns around he might get other offers but I am sure the Colts will offer him the full-time OC job if the season turns around, heck even if the season turns around Pagano may still not be back so he could end up the HC here if the season turns around.  Too much is unknown right now so I wouldn't worry about him leaving right now. 

Chud is going to be the next Head Coach for the Miami Hurricanes. I'm also a hurricanes fan

If anything that's a job for Pagano. He was just a position coach last time he was at Miami. Even though he said he won't coach anywhere else, I'm sure he'd love to coach Miami.

I always wanted Pep to succeed, and he did so based on offensive stats over the past three seasons. However, I think he lacked creativity and imagination that ultimately was ineffective against well prepared defenses. I also think he was not able to adapt given the cards he was dealt - a struggling O Line. Chud came in and made a few slight but good changes - he stuck to the run, involved the tight Ends, mostly shorter routes, and keeping Luck moving in the pocket. I think Pep is a decent coach and a fine man, and I know nothing much about Chud. However, I don't think we would have won with Pep yesterday.

I like our new Pep-free Colts.  We should have dumped Pep a long time ago, or better never went down that road.  Hopefully Chud is  here to stay.

Pep-free Colts, the choice of a new generation.

I was the first to want Pep out cant believe it took so long even when our O looked good last year there was a blue print to stop us in our tracks . Every member mod loved Pep on here funny the most vocal Pep lovers then are his most vocal haters now .

First offer he gets will be from the Colts, so it won't really matter.

I doubt he wants to head coach anytime soon.  he could get a ring with the Colts or even take over for Pagano.  He could be like an Ariens and call plays and be head coach.  we would be stupid to let him go if he can turn parts of this thing around.  on a different note: our special teams needs a kick in the butt now.

Knowing our luck, he goes to coach somewhere else. Just watch!!

No because you just tell them to stay away like they did with pep hamilton. Can't be getting a new offensive coordinator every year just bc they like our offense. It gets so annoying.

Let's face it, if Luck played that well this year under Pep we wouldn't be having this conversation.

No but a lot had to do with Chuds play calling. Got him in a rythm with the run and short passes. The screen we hit them with on that blitz is something we've been screaming to do for 8 games. The team looked like a well oiled machine under Chud. That was with only 5 days also.

No but a lot had to do with Chuds play calling. Got him in a rythm with the run and short passes. The screen we hit them with on that blitz is something we've been screaming to do for 8 games. The team looked like a well oiled machine under Chud. That was with only 5 days also.

Agree.  We also know that Pep could call a nice conservative game, as he did when MH was starting.

Luck dug us in a lot of holes by himself, which forced more risky play calling.  He was obviously hurting.  A healthy Andrew helps make any OC look good.

To be clear though, I really like Chud.  Time will tell if it was the right move.

Agree.  We also know that Pep could call a nice conservative game, as he did when MH was starting.

Luck dug us in a lot of holes by himself, which forced more risky play calling.  He was obviously hurting.  A healthy Andrew helps make any OC look good.

To be clear though, I really like Chud.  Time will tell if it was the right move.

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is that time will tell if this was the right move.  To me, Pep needed to go.  Period.  He constantly would telegraph formations.  We line up heavy on 3rd and 1... we're running, and likely getting dominated.  With Chud, it was a pretty good mix.  Some flips to Whalen.  Some runs, etc.

Is it going to be good long term?  That remains to be seen.  But for me, our offense was efficient and effective against one of the league's best defenses.  Before we were getting beat, and in some cases handily, by lesser teams.

I agree that he doesn't go anywhere unless he's offered an HC job, I would also agree that 1 game is a very small sample size. Having said that, it's hard to deny how much more organized and prepared the offense looked last night, and the sense of urgency they showed is something that's been missing for maybe the past 2 seasons.

I can see the offense taking off now. Luck's definitely healthier, and seemingly smarter, and there's a week off before the next game, so it'll be very interesting to see some of the new wrinkles installed vs Atlanta.

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is that time will tell if this was the right move.  To me, Pep needed to go.  Period.  He constantly would telegraph formations.  We line up heavy on 3rd and 1... we're running, and likely getting dominated.  With Chud, it was a pretty good mix.  Some flips to Whalen.  Some runs, etc.

Is it going to be good long term?  That remains to be seen.  But for me, our offense was efficient and effective against one of the league's best defenses.  Before we were getting beat, and in some cases handily, by lesser teams.

I almost used that exact phrase.  Yes, Pep needed to go.  I like Chud, he's a great person and it seems like he's a well liked coach.  I just don't know enough about his offensive philosophy yet.

As far as your last sentence, I'm not sure any 'lesser' teams beat us handily during Pep's time.  I agree that he didn't always put us in the best position to win.  I don't think any of us know if that's because of the personnel he's given to work with or because Luck was so out of sorts.

I do know that if the team plays like it did in the last 5+ quarters, we can beat anyone in the league.

No because you just tell them to stay away like they did with pep hamilton. Can't be getting a new offensive coordinator every year just bc they like our offense. It gets so annoying.

Except for the fact that that never happened. Pep did interview for the Raiders job

Despite what happens under Chud as OC, I don't see offers coming in for a head coach spot based off this half season. Whatever bad stuff that happened to him in his short time in Cleveland as the HC makes me wonder how he will ever get that shot at HC elsewhere without having a few seasons of being an OC with solid success and a record of turning around what was seemingly a broken system in Indy. I was super excited to see Peppy le pew go and inserting Chid, an experienced play caller in the NFL, in place. On short notice, I think he exceeded expectations. Now he will get graded on what he does with 2 weeks to insert his own signature plays into the book and give twists to peps play book of things that were awful but did not work because of how it was schemed or when it was called. I can't wait till we see those plays we all seen that said we are running, 3 TE's and a rb and 1 wr and we fool the run blitz with a toss to one of those sneaking out TE's into the blitzed areas. I think pep couldn't figure out to be sneaky or creative at the right times. I believe Chud can and will do so but that won't give him first crown at a head coach gig IMO.

Agree. We also know that Pep could call a nice conservative game, as he did when MH was starting.

Luck dug us in a lot of holes by himself, which forced more risky play calling. He was obviously hurting. A healthy Andrew helps make any OC look good.

To be clear though, I really like Chud. Time will tell if it was the right move.

What was frustrating to me was the difference in the play calling with the two. Pep literally didn't ring up some short passes till the second half of the Tenn game. With MH in there the offense actually looked good. True, part of that blame does start with Luck. But against both BUF and NYJ we refused to hit them with screens or short passes. Chud calling that screen on the 3rd down blitz was awesome. I really really liked Chud as the OC and think Luck played his best game this year.

I doubt he wants to head coach anytime soon.  he could get a ring with the Colts or even take over for Pagano.  He could be like an Ariens and call plays and be head coach.  we would be stupid to let him go if he can turn parts of this thing around.  on a different note: our special teams needs a kick in the butt now.

There is a recent video i saw somewhere of him saying he is a HC wanna be.

I was the first to want Pep out cant believe it took so long even when our O looked good last year there was a blue print to stop us in our tracks . Every member mod loved Pep on here funny the most vocal Pep lovers then are his most vocal haters now .

Never liked Pep even when he improved. His routs are easy to defend, and play calling VERY predictable!

I don't know...  if he continues to succeed I think Irsay will continue to pay Chud.  To leave to be HC again may not be what he wants.  there have been plenty of OC/DC (Tom Moore, Dick Lebeau) that never take HC positions even though they excelled at their job.  He did not succeed at the Browns as HC maybe he will just want to stick around for a while and see where this goes...  Like I said I think as long as the offense continues to succeed Irsay will make it worth his while to stay.